Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Aug 17, 12:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 170
How could this get the top manga spot? I mean, how crazy a bug has to be to put a manga with 700 members at top 1, it's not like dropping or gaining 0,3 on it's score xd


 
#2
Aug 17, 12:19 PM
CringeKids
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
why do you assume the Mods are behind this?
 
#3
Aug 17, 12:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 170
RainFTW said:
why do you assume the Mods are behind this?

I'm just throwing theorires for all this chain of events like fma dropping to 9,10 and 2 random mangas getting in the top 5


 
#4
Aug 17, 1:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
It's not a bug, look at stats. There's bots who downvotes top manga-anime and boosting random anime-mangas.
Steel Ball Run dropped from 9.18 to 9.16
Grand Blue dropped from 9.00 to 8.96
3-gatsu no Lion dropped from 8.75 to 8.70
Tenki no Ko dropped from 8.88 to 8.36
At this point MAL won't do anything about that bots.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
#5
Aug 18, 2:16 AM
TheCook

Online
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 297
Don't blame the mods, blame this obsessed individual:

https://myanimelist.net/profile/taiven_armon
https://myanimelist.net/profile/NahzirSam
https://myanimelist.net/profile/SsyNoYori
https://myanimelist.net/profile/DavinAnjel
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ChicagoXyaire
https://myanimelist.net/profile/DeoTravonne
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AarinWeslyn
https://myanimelist.net/profile/BronsonJakarion
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KazimCallahan
https://myanimelist.net/profile/HughesCaliber
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RoyaleLudwig
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ZacKanai
https://myanimelist.net/profile/EricssonMirza
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RicoKobe
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GeronLynkin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KellyCalahan
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KarimMalamba
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ShulemKingstin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AltanArie
https://myanimelist.net/profile/InakiOlamide
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ZealandLondon
https://myanimelist.net/profile/WesKacey
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AustonPhillips
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RonaAhkai
https://myanimelist.net/profile/DerwinRandal
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AmiriTedd
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KyreeBrom
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JerisonJeff
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KardierKado
https://myanimelist.net/profile/NaethanDiar
https://myanimelist.net/profile/LyonElvin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/CyleJeremias
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ChesterHonour
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RaahiValon
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MendeeceeDoug
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AmareeTannen
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JamessonRustam
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MagicMaika
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ColbeyKmauri
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ToaAtom
https://myanimelist.net/profile/PedroCodi
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MarkeviousZahmi
https://myanimelist.net/profile/LavinBenito
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RuvimChevy
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Locklin_Ezel
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GavanDamariay
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ShalevReyland
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AldrinGraylan
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RuairiHaydin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoandryMartavius
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AziahEvren
https://myanimelist.net/profile/EddielArka
https://myanimelist.net/profile/VascoAxle
https://myanimelist.net/profile/TyberiusLatrell
https://myanimelist.net/profile/CharlyJashaun
https://myanimelist.net/profile/OlliverJonpaul
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MicaiCleveland
https://myanimelist.net/profile/WessonElia
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AbhijayRome
https://myanimelist.net/profile/PrathamDenver
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JemelTrayden
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MahmoodIcker
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JahzionDiego
https://myanimelist.net/profile/PolluxAnias
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RaylinCannon
https://myanimelist.net/profile/NicklasTyreek
https://myanimelist.net/profile/EilamJamesen
https://myanimelist.net/profile/YosielMarios
https://myanimelist.net/profile/DashonRaidyn
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KyriKestin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/HavishStanislaw
https://myanimelist.net/profile/BarakBrayton
https://myanimelist.net/profile/TerrezRighteous
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AlexanderaJames
https://myanimelist.net/profile/CahlilTiam
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MerleHusayn
https://myanimelist.net/profile/DallisHendryx
https://myanimelist.net/profile/TayoMakaius
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AvenChinmay
https://myanimelist.net/profile/IshmealAziel
https://myanimelist.net/profile/StriderTripton
https://myanimelist.net/profile/SwaydeEdel
https://myanimelist.net/profile/EndyAdric
https://myanimelist.net/profile/SidneyNickolas
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KavenChasten
https://myanimelist.net/profile/TerrickJayln
https://myanimelist.net/profile/RamarioYossi
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MadduxFynn
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GrimmCorlin
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KennithTyeson
https://myanimelist.net/profile/AdarKlark
https://myanimelist.net/profile/SameerIsaic
https://myanimelist.net/profile/ReonGlory
https://myanimelist.net/profile/IzanAnmol
https://myanimelist.net/profile/YutaZvi
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JunaidHamdi
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JaxtynZamarian
https://myanimelist.net/profile/IshakWinston
https://myanimelist.net/profile/PetroCortez
 
#6
Aug 18, 4:38 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 300
@MehmetY one piece score also drop from 9.08 to 9.07 so does fmab from 9.13 to 9.12.
 
#7
Aug 18, 4:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
Gintama Season 4 dropped from 9.11 to 9.10
Kimi no Na wa dropped from 9.12 to 9.11
Heaven's Feel Movie II dropped from 8.68 to 8.63
Zoku Owarimonogatari dropped from 8.65 to 8.63
JoJo Part 5 dropped from 8.83 to 8.80
And when it's score updated Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu will drop from 9.10 to 9.08
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
#8
Aug 19, 1:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3310
MAL should make it so scores by new acounts do not count in the mean score, giving them enough time to deal with the fakes without fucking up the rankings.
You all need to watch Nami.

 
#9
Aug 20, 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
abystoma2 said:
MAL should make it so scores by new acounts do not count in the mean score, giving them enough time to deal with the fakes without fucking up the rankings.

+1 this is good idea.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 20, 1:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 47063
MehmetY said:
abystoma2 said:
MAL should make it so scores by new acounts do not count in the mean score, giving them enough time to deal with the fakes without fucking up the rankings.

+1 this is good idea.


i suggested something similar in the past https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1670520 but it got turned down and im sure other users have suggested the same thing too and even more

but seeing that Kineta said they will do hard coding now rather than manual whack a mole stuff im sure they compiled all this suggestions from the past and apply them to hard code of the site now since the ranking is fixed already
 
Aug 20, 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3310
ugmon said:
since the ranking is fixed already

Not, really, Shirobako: Introduction is still at #17 and Sakura Quest is still at #21.


Funny thin is, once the troll acounts get deleted, the counterforce low votes from regular users will probably stay, making these two really low rated, contrary to what the spammer wanted to achieve.
You all need to watch Nami.

 
Aug 20, 2:43 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 47063
abystoma2 said:
ugmon said:
since the ranking is fixed already

Not, really, Shirobako: Introduction is still at #17 and Sakura Quest is still at #21.


Funny thin is, once the troll acounts get deleted, the counterforce low votes from regular users will probably stay, making these two really low rated, contrary to what the spammer wanted to achieve.


i see and have you read this? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618&show=4750#msg58156821 they are implying that troll accounts will not be deleted anymore (at least manually)
 
Aug 20, 2:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3310
ugmon said:

i see and have you read this? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618&show=4750#msg58156821 they are implying that troll accounts will not be deleted anymore (at least manually)


I didn't, thanks.

Yeah, some automated feature would be nice.
You all need to watch Nami.

 
Aug 22, 1:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 38
MehmetY said:
Gintama Season 4 dropped from 9.11 to 9.10
Kimi no Na wa dropped from 9.12 to 9.11
Heaven's Feel Movie II dropped from 8.68 to 8.63
Zoku Owarimonogatari dropped from 8.65 to 8.63
JoJo Part 5 dropped from 8.83 to 8.80
And when it's score updated Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu will drop from 9.10 to 9.08

I think it isn’t because of bots that zoku owarimonogatari, heavens feel, and jojo dropped. I just think that new series fluctuate a lot and after they finish airing, they tend to drop rating, then stagnate for a bit, the drop until people who were watching it tend to complete it, about 9 months after airing I reckon. However I think LotGH was probably due to a bot, as it’s one percentage changed quite drastically over a very short time. I don’t know what is the cause of the other series, but I think MAL need to fix this, especially their manga rankings
 
Aug 22, 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
danielrowland said:
MehmetY said:
Gintama Season 4 dropped from 9.11 to 9.10
Kimi no Na wa dropped from 9.12 to 9.11
Heaven's Feel Movie II dropped from 8.68 to 8.63
Zoku Owarimonogatari dropped from 8.65 to 8.63
JoJo Part 5 dropped from 8.83 to 8.80
And when it's score updated Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu will drop from 9.10 to 9.08

I think it isn’t because of bots that zoku owarimonogatari, heavens feel, and jojo dropped. I just think that new series fluctuate a lot and after they finish airing, they tend to drop rating, then stagnate for a bit, the drop until people who were watching it tend to complete it, about 9 months after airing I reckon. However I think LotGH was probably due to a bot, as it’s one percentage changed quite drastically over a very short time. I don’t know what is the cause of the other series, but I think MAL need to fix this, especially their manga rankings

Look at stats with webarchive. Nearly 100 fake accounts gave them 1 in the last two week. And most of them are the same guy's fakes.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 22, 3:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
MehmetY said:
danielrowland said:

I think it isn’t because of bots that zoku owarimonogatari, heavens feel, and jojo dropped. I just think that new series fluctuate a lot and after they finish airing, they tend to drop rating, then stagnate for a bit, the drop until people who were watching it tend to complete it, about 9 months after airing I reckon. However I think LotGH was probably due to a bot, as it’s one percentage changed quite drastically over a very short time. I don’t know what is the cause of the other series, but I think MAL need to fix this, especially their manga rankings

Look at stats with webarchive. Nearly 100 fake accounts gave them 1 in the last two week. And most of them are the same guy's fakes.

We also have things like this
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40052/Great_Pretender/stats 42 votes, 39 (atm) 1's from a bot, and the show isn't even out till 2020.
"Life is one big yeehaw and then you die"
 
Aug 22, 3:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
kuraharah said:
MehmetY said:

Look at stats with webarchive. Nearly 100 fake accounts gave them 1 in the last two week. And most of them are the same guy's fakes.

We also have things like this
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40052/Great_Pretender/stats 42 votes, 39 (atm) 1's from a bot, and the show isn't even out till 2020.

These 1 scores are from the same guy again lmao
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 23, 12:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 110
Am I the only person who thinks that this review on sakura quest, feels like it wasn't written by a human?
 
Aug 23, 2:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
chair-sama said:
Am I the only person who thinks that this review on sakura quest, feels like it wasn't written by a human?

What do you mean?,
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 23, 2:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 110
MehmetY said:
chair-sama said:
Am I the only person who thinks that this review on sakura quest, feels like it wasn't written by a human?

What do you mean?,

Have you read it? There are mistakes in sentences, that not even a child would make, also he's telling about this manga "being for adults over the year of 22", it's very short and doesn't explain his scores, where by the way doesn't add up: 10+8+10+10, and now there's 99/100. It just feels very fishy.

Last minute discovery: there's a second review, that was just posted up, and is also a bit suspicious but it at least feels like it was written by a person.
 
Aug 23, 2:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
chair-sama said:
MehmetY said:

What do you mean?,

Have you read it? There are mistakes in sentences, that not even a child would make, also he's telling about this manga "being for adults over the year of 22", it's very short and doesn't explain his scores, where by the way doesn't add up: 10+8+10+10, and now there's 99/100. It just feels very fishy.

Last minute discovery: there's a second review, that was just posted up, and is also a bit suspicious but it at least feels like it was written by a person.

Well there's always a possibility like his English isn't good. And probably he's Japanese because there's no English version of Sakura Quest's manga.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 23, 4:28 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 14
Just what the FUCK. No 5 with nothing but bots voting 10/10....just dafuck MAL..?
 
Aug 23, 4:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 421
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
Just what the FUCK. No 5 with nothing but bots voting 10/10....just dafuck MAL..?

It was No. 1 just 5 days ago.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.
 
Aug 23, 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1511
Just passing by. There are lots of bots in Chinese anime Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 just because it's one of the top ranked airing anime now.


Here's how the downvotters scoring looks like in one of his account. He's a Vinland Saga, Code Geass, AoT and Touhou fanboys.


Recently he's getting a LITTLE smarter by making his anime list restricted but we all can tell he's the same person. Lots of bots ever since moderators decided to close the thread that report duplicate account.
Modified by Gorochu, Aug 23, 6:22 PM
My Wife is a Demon Queen
 
Aug 23, 5:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 4261
I noticed a lot of my favorites are getting downvoted too, not sure why.
 
Aug 23, 11:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
So many entries are being bot upvoted, Yuuki Yuuna, Shirobako Intro, Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru, a place further than the universe, 86....myanimelist gotta do something about this
 
Aug 24, 5:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 59
I mean if people got time to waste just downvoting or upvoting shit then just let them. It's not gonna change anything about what we know the real score to be. Besides when all their accounts are deleted all their efforts will be a waste anyway lmao.
 
Aug 24, 6:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 423
Bwahahahha this is hilarious

De_Baer said:
Don't blame the mods, blame this obsessed individual:

But also blame the coding team for not implementing proper mechanisms to prevent bots.
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting1
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting2
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting3
https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting4

......

https://myanimelist.net/profile/GingaBoosting73

That's 74 accounts by one person. It goes even higher then that but some don't have any ratings (yet). MAL closed the illegitimate account thread before making a solution. Should have left it open till then.

I contemplated making a script to detect such boosting accounts but I kept procrastinating. Also it should be easier for the ppl working at MAL to write a more efficient script since they have internal access rather than me trying some inefficient web scraping program that'll put unnecessary load on MAL servers.

Edit: Although it's like a game of cat and mouse. I'm not into cyber security but I have view access to a channel where they discuss such stuff. Someone bypassed google captcha by claiming to be a handicapped user (visually impaired?) and then using an audio to text generator to solve the captcha. Another person hosted a browser extension on a website made with javascript that was somehow making bots on Facebook in the background without users knowing. Not sure how they did that, maybe they used other languages as well.
Modified by -InfiniteLoop-, Aug 24, 6:20 AM
Our existence precedes our essence
 
Aug 24, 6:34 AM

Online
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2088
Yeah i did a double take when i saw this at number 1. So random. It's back to normal now though.
 
Aug 24, 9:06 AM
Forum Moderator
submachine 銃

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2192
Thread locked.

It doesn't matter how much you discuss it, there's nothing that can be done about them from a moderation perspective right now. And please do not report the score boosting/bombing accounts.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top