Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 20 Discussion

Aug 17, 2019 8:33 PM

HereticHunter said:
@Oniichan-Senpai

It isn't if Tanjiro won or not, if he got his new power or not, if Giyuu stole the show or not, those things are fine if they are done correctly (Sorry if I can't just speak my damn mind, I've been processing this episode through the day)

The problem is how Ufotable has been doing unnecessary cliffhangers by dragging things up, the pacing has been unbearably slow and it really hurts the anime. They should have ended Ep 19 with Giyuu saving the day instead of moving it to the start of Ep 20. They put way too much effort portraying this familiar bonds theme that the conclusion shown in Ep 20 feels disappointing. That's all

I prefer ep 19 the way it is. Familial bond is one of KNY's main theme anyway (it sort of reminds me of Edward and Alphonse in FMB, of course FMB had more than 70 episodes to make that relationship a legendary one).

Aug 17, 2019 9:26 PM

Spiderboi cutting his head to save his life was pretty smart. I'm glad he didn't die to some low level demon slayer. That would have cheapen his position.

Aug 17, 2019 9:38 PM
Think they dragged Rui's backstory a bit but its still done well.

Aug 17, 2019 9:45 PM

Damn, Shinobu sure is a deadly beauty. It took me a while to recognize Yumeko's VA but I have to agree with a lot of people here. Her sweet and calm voice makes a nice contrast with Shinobu's more sadistic side. Quite interesting character so far and her technique was indeed beautiful to see. Hope I can see more of her in these remaining episodes.

Regarding Rui, he's even more heartless than I originally thought. That flashback was totally messed up. Not to mention that the way he uses to transform other demons took me off guard, not gonna lie. Quite gruesome if you ask me.

Overall, this episode ended up being a bit more gory than others (not that I'm complaining) but still a pretty good one in terms of storytelling and pacing.

So... I guess there will still be one more episode to finally wrap things up regarding this awesome arc. Really wondering what these last few episodes will be about...

Aug 17, 2019 10:55 PM

I've read all the comments in this thread, and honestly it feels like some people started watching this anime at episode 19...
Rem best girl

Aug 17, 2019 11:44 PM

Ottes said:
HereticHunter said:

Exactly as I felt, this episode almost TOTALLY ruined last episode by showing us how that spider boy didn't die because some bullshit reason, only to get the show stolen by some random dude who hasn't even been introduced yet

Giyuu already got introduced in early episodes and c'mon, you would prefer that Tanjiro have killed Rui that it's like WAY strong than him at this point just like that? I can understand what you are feeling but this development it's better for the story progression.

I agree. As much as I love ep 19, I just felt like if Tanjirou actually did kill Rui like that, then what will that make me expect for the remaining 11? I'm glad Rui wasn't dead yet and he was actually very challenging to Tanjirou. He has a long way to go in order to become stronger. I wouldn't want a random asspull from him tbh.

Aug 17, 2019 11:51 PM

KanameYuuki said:
I'm surprised so many are upset about Tanjirou not been the one who defeated him, last week tons of complains on the "asspull plotarmor" and now that the power up wasn't enough lol.

If anything this shows that a flashback won't make you win the battle on that world, sure Tanjirou and Nezuko gained something but they still need to train and polish it enough to be able to accomplish anything with it, heck Tanjirou's body couldn't deal with all the stress.

Yeah.. There will always be that one person not satisfied with an episode. I think this episode did pretty well. If Giyuu didn't come to the rescue, Tanjirou and his sister will most likely die

Aug 17, 2019 11:55 PM

Okay Rui wants to her memory and making family, but he didn't know happiness
true family communication.

Shinobu is now really interesting character for me xD

Modified by Aim1rR, Aug 17, 2019 11:58 PM

Aug 18, 2019 12:05 AM

People are complaining that last week's emotional episode was for nothing because Tanjirou's super saiyan move didn't work? Ya'll need to read the manga. There is no fucking way a newbie like Tanjirou is going to defeat a Kizuki, even if he is in the lower five. He just started his demon slayer career recently. It makes more sense for a pillar, badass motherfucker like Giyuu to save his ass. In the first episode, if Giyuu was a villain, he could've easily killed both Tanjirou and Nezuko. However, he didn't because he's not the bad guy.

What I like about Tanjirou is that he's not some super saiyan with immense power and strength. There have been many times he was close to death in this series. The manga is still on going and anything could happen.

In my opinion, this week's episode shows the huge gap between the pillars and a regular demon slayer. Both Giyuu and Shinobu were badass. Wait till you see the other demon slayers and how OP they can be. Also Rui, compared to the other demons is pretty weak, he is lower five but still, despite being lower five, he was able to wipe out several demon slayers and was a hair away from killing our MC and his imouto.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Aug 18, 2019 12:16 AM

man this anime is soo hype /epic that the wait for the next episode is killing me,
Demon Slayers ♤♡◇♧ 鬼滅の刃

Aug 18, 2019 2:05 AM
The real problem is that the fight of last episode is way more EPIC than in the manga xD

Aug 18, 2019 2:27 AM
Episode 20 was actually better than overhyped epusode 19
The fact that the demon was stilla live after last episode took away from that scene but it didn't matter cause shinobu and tomioka showed up and MAN finally some good characters in this show
I really hope they become more of a presence in the story

Aug 18, 2019 2:42 AM

Moooooooooooom, I like butterflies now!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."

Aug 18, 2019 3:06 AM

Lel0uchZer0 said:
The fact that the demon was stilla live after last episode took away from that scene but it didn't matter cause shinobu and tomioka showed up and MAN finally some good characters in this show

It wasn't better for me, but I almost enjoyed it just as much, it was a really good episode

Many just don't like it because it wasn't Tanjirou who killed Rui in the end
Rem best girl

Aug 18, 2019 3:08 AM
-Aincrad- said:
Lel0uchZer0 said:

It wasn't better for me, but I almost enjoyed it just as much, it was a really good episode

Many just don't like it because it wasn't Tanjirou who killed Rui in the end

Well i get that but i don't like tanjirou so tomioka getting that final blow was amazing... he is such a badass

Aug 18, 2019 3:12 AM

So we go from people complaining Tanjiro killing Rui at the end of last week was an asspull move typical of shounen anime to whining that Tanjiro didn't get the kill and Tomioki just stole the show? Guys, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Like as much as it was lit and intense last week...having it turn out the way it did in this week's ep was a pleasant surprise. It shows the difference in skill between someone at Tanjiro's level and a Hashira. Also...Shinobu is a badass.
Don't believe the hype.

Aug 18, 2019 3:31 AM

Awesome, a slower episode was necessary after all those action-packed episodes. Ofc, that's only my opinion.

I feel bad for that Kizuki's "family". But they'd be dead long ago if he hadn't saved them from Demon Slayer Corps.

Aug 18, 2019 4:00 AM

What an awful episode. Not even a second of Zenitsu on screen.

Aug 18, 2019 4:13 AM
it makes sense that tanjiro didn’t get that win, and it’s probably for the best, considering it’s one of the twelve, but i was still a little disappointed. made it seem like the run up from last episode and the family/sibling power was all pointless, and then giyuu showing up and finishing the guy off in 10 seconds really downplayed everything tanjiro did last episode. but, as somebody who’s only watched the anime, im assuming everything has a reason, and giyuu IS a hashira (?) after all.

shinobu is an interesting character, im still debating whether she’s a demon herself. the way she went about killing (and describing how she would torture) the demon made my skin crawl. i am excited to see more of her too.

also wondering if anything will come out of tanjiro using the fire dance kagura (?) since seemingly nobody else saw him use it, and assuming his sister still can’t talk. im curious to if he’ll tell anybody about it or not too

Aug 18, 2019 5:21 AM

Most of us must've concluded after last week's spectacular episode that Tanjiro won his fight against Rui. However, that was not the case at all. Rui made a last-second decision to sever his own head before Tanjiro's sword made any contact.

With Tanjiro pretty much immobile after his attack, Rui was certain that he would get the final blow. Thankfully, Giyuu finally arrived in time and with his eleventh form from his sword, he made easy work of Rui and finished him off with a simple slice on his neck.

Rui's "sister" was the only one remaining and while she was running, we got treated to her backstory and how she first met Rui, who saved her life from the demon hunters. Rui's family was simply a mis-match of other people who had no other choice but to become a family in order to survive. As was shown in her backstory, Rui didn't take kindly to any of his siblings or "mother" when they tried to run away or simply reverting back to their previous form that they couldn't prevent themselves from happening. It sums up how nasty Rui is.

The sister's time was certainly up when Shinobu caught up to her and asked her some questions. Shinobu's cute and kind, but the way she kept that type of demeanour up while interrogating the sister spider made her pretty scary. I'd rather deal with an angry Giyuu than an angry Shinobu! X3

Shinobu's sword looks tiny compared to all the other blades that have been shown so far, but her speciality is poison that kills the demons from the inside, and it was shown to great effect as the poison killed the spider girl very quickly.

This was a great episode and while it won't hold a candle to last week's superb episode, it's still great to see ufotable's quality in their art and animation staying at a consistently high standard. =)

Aug 18, 2019 5:30 AM

One of the things I like about this series is they really aren't bluffing about the strength of the Twelve Demon Moons. Remember Rui is Lower Moon Five, the second weakest, and you can just imagine how things escalate. I could go into a bit more but I feel I'd be spoiling too much.

Aug 18, 2019 6:00 AM

ShanAsuna said:
HereticHunter said:
@Oniichan-Senpai

It isn't if Tanjiro won or not, if he got his new power or not, if Giyuu stole the show or not, those things are fine if they are done correctly (Sorry if I can't just speak my damn mind, I've been processing this episode through the day)

The problem is how Ufotable has been doing unnecessary cliffhangers by dragging things up, the pacing has been unbearably slow and it really hurts the anime. They should have ended Ep 19 with Giyuu saving the day instead of moving it to the start of Ep 20. They put way too much effort portraying this familiar bonds theme that the conclusion shown in Ep 20 feels disappointing. That's all

I prefer ep 19 the way it is. Familial bond is one of KNY's main theme anyway (it sort of reminds me of Edward and Alphonse in FMB, of course FMB had more than 70 episodes to make that relationship a legendary one).

The way I see it, is that after all that display, on ep 20 we see how this Rui barely got a scratch (It could have been more convincing if he actually received some damage) and then, after all that, the conclusion to that fight is this guy who one shot Rui and that's it. That's why I felt it disappointing in comparison to Ep 19. It killed Tanjiro's momentum to me.
If you find yourself in disagreement with me, please, don't do the following:

1. Call out on some superiority complex.
2. Rely on "If you don't like then don't watch it" in an attempt to defend your statements
3. Resorting to insults.

If you're unable to do this, simply, don't say anything ;)

Aug 18, 2019 6:10 AM

DedPanda said:
So we go from people complaining Tanjiro killing Rui at the end of last week was an asspull move typical of shounen anime to whining that Tanjiro didn't get the kill and Tomioki just stole the show? Guys, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Like as much as it was lit and intense last week...having it turn out the way it did in this week's ep was a pleasant surprise. It shows the difference in skill between someone at Tanjiro's level and a Hashira. Also...Shinobu is a badass.

Bullshit, I can have a cake and eat it too. xP

Jokes aside, my complaint is that ep 20 killed the momentum of last episode. Of course I didn't expect Tanjiro to win, but the conclusion to this fight was rather disappointing in comparison to all that emotional display in ep 19, which almost made it look pointless. It would have been more convincing to me if Rui took some damage (after all, most of the attack were AoE, or did look that way) Being that the reason as to why Giyuu killed him effortlessly.

2. Rely on "If you don't like then don't watch it" in an attempt to defend your statements
3. Resorting to insults.

Aug 18, 2019 6:24 AM

HereticHunter said:
DedPanda said:

Jokes aside, my complaint is that ep 20 killed the momentum of last episode. Of course I didn't expect Tanjiro to win, but the conclusion to this fight was rather disappointing in comparison to all that emotional display in ep 19, which almost made it look pointless. It would have been more convincing to me if Rui took some damage (after all, most of the attack were AoE, or did look that way) Being that the reason as to why Giyuu killed him effortlessly.

It wasn't pointless, it unlock to Tanjirou a new power for him to work toward understand it origin and how to use it better and Nezuko gain her Demon Blood Art, which will be important in the future.

Aug 18, 2019 7:04 AM

Well after the amazing ep 19 this was quite a let down....i still liked the episode but of course it can't hold the Quality.

While i liked the backstory for the Demons i think its kinda sad they only got backstory to give their death more weight not to make them actual Characters.

Aug 18, 2019 7:30 AM

ExaltedChampion said:
HereticHunter said:

It wasn't pointless, it unlock to Tanjirou a new power for him to work toward understand it origin and how to use it better and Nezuko gain her Demon Blood Art, which will be important in the future.

I didn't say it was pointless, I said it ALMOST made it look pointless.

3. Resorting to insults.

Aug 18, 2019 8:28 AM

In the end, the Hashira level that is Giyuu does what Tanjirou can't, the Eleventh Form Water Breathing Technique to finally slay Rui. Not that I've ever expected Tanjirou to hit his limits then and there (and to win/lose), Giyuu's perfection meant that there's still room for Tanjirou to grow. Tanjirou sure wasn't ready for the 12 Kizuki, if slaying Rui the Lower Fifth was already tough to begin with, and having a Hashira level demon slayer succeeding meant that he still has a lot way to go

It's safe to say that with all the hype from last episode, this episode was still a good follow-up into the life of the sister who wanted to run away from Rui, but by all accounts failed to do so.

In retrospect, Shinobu the butterfly demon slayer needs no introduction. Innocent as she is, she's the definition of: Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Don't ever try to sweet talk her, that's for sure.

Everyone might complain that for such an episode that follows up from last week is such a letdown, but I beg to differ. Familial bond is the subject of ridicule and base point, and understanding from both Tanjirou (and Nezuko) along with Rui's standpoint of "playing house" reaps major benefits but with even bigger consequences.
Modified by KANLen09, Aug 18, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 18, 2019 8:59 AM

It was very satisfying to see Shinobu kill that demon bitch. She is the epitome of what most people are like in the real world.

Aug 18, 2019 9:34 AM

Shinobu looks like a psychopath/yandere to me, I don’t really like her character. I guess I’m on the minority. I want to see less screen time for her.

Aug 18, 2019 11:11 AM
I was more than a little disappointed in this episode, I feel like it kinda ruined everything that happened at the end of the last episode. Or at least, if not ruined, Strongly diminished the significance of what happened last episode.

Aug 18, 2019 12:51 PM
this anime is so freaking awesome!

Aug 18, 2019 12:55 PM

Shinobu best girl.

Aug 18, 2019 2:55 PM

great episode. looking forward to the next one! i do wanna see more of Kocho and Giyu

Aug 18, 2019 3:34 PM

I like Shinobu :)))))

Aug 18, 2019 6:39 PM
The backstory was macabre Creating a family to help recover his memories.
Both pillars were impressive. Neither demon had a chance.

Aug 19, 2019 2:38 AM

I really loved the exploration of Rui's psychology. The fact that he was still fixated on his 'family' even in death was brilliant. I can't wait to see the functionality of the rest of the Kizuki.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha

Aug 19, 2019 3:07 AM

I am in love with Shinobu :3

Aug 19, 2019 3:24 AM

Every demon's past is so sad. It makes me want to cry! Not remembering how having a family is like is just so sad for a kid.
キミと私 きっと今同じ気持ちだよ

Aug 19, 2019 6:08 AM

The episode made me feel a bit sad for the sister, but eh, she's still a demon, so if Rui doesn't maker her kill people, she will still kill people just because she's a demon. I'm glad that Rui didn't die just by a powerup from Tanjiro, the Twelve Kizuki should be more powerful than Tanjiro right now.

Aug 19, 2019 6:38 AM

Wow, Shinobu is cool AF, Giyuu is OP too. Interesting backstory of the demons. Good usage of music too, another great episode for this series.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia

Aug 19, 2019 2:12 PM

What a boring episode! Honestly the demons’ backstories were boring to see becouse I feel nothing for them, they seems void to me. The new character, the girl who uses poison, is the perfect kind of character that I don’t want to see in a series, this kind of character are really annoying, they are annoying like as every characters similar to Tanjiro or Zenitsu, or also Inosuke. The characters of this series are the thing I don’t like the most.

Aug 19, 2019 4:33 PM

Another fantastic episode, thank you again Ufotable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 19, 2019 10:50 PM
Shinobu you one creepy bitch..

They pulled one over on us; should have expected Tanjiro wasn't strong enough yet to kill one of the Kizuki. Power scaling is balanced once again.

Modified by KidLeaf, Aug 19, 2019 10:54 PM

Aug 19, 2019 11:21 PM
great episode as always, poor them who tought last episode is overrated/overhype.

to those who said "asspull, stupid power-up, how could tanjiro killed 12 strongest demon bla bla bla" i bet after they saw this episode they bit their own tongue :p

just look at the beautiful animation, amazing story, great character development and great ost right there : AOTY hands down

Aug 19, 2019 11:25 PM

Goodness. Shinobu is just absolutely stunning. And terrifying with the torture ideas hahahah. It was so easy to tell that blade was to inflict poison. No wonder she had a cure for Zenitsu :P

Poor demon sister that got betrayed TT^TT
Also the fact that mama spider was just a little demon girl transformed and role playing to fit the part :( v sad </3

Was this the part where we were supposed to ALMOST feel sorry for Rui bc it did not happen lmfaoooooo.

Aug 20, 2019 11:52 PM

Aug 21, 2019 12:43 AM

Yandere moment. I still love Shinobu.
". . . no paths are bound"

Aug 21, 2019 11:56 AM
Damn Shinbou really flys like a butterfly. More background on Rui's history. Great ep but Tomo killed Rui without any stress lol

Aug 21, 2019 2:49 PM
This anime is so incredibly slow, it seems like they are gonna need 10 seasons to get to Kibutsuji. They could have easily fit this season in 12 episodes.

Aug 21, 2019 5:19 PM

ephemeralNow said:
This anime is so incredibly slow, it seems like they are gonna need 10 seasons to get to Kibutsuji. They could have easily fit this season in 12 episodes.
nope, with this pace they can reach muzan in 3 season. The pace is fine anyway.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »