Forum Settings
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2019 7:30 AM

Jan 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This is the final chapter, so I'm curious what the 135th is according to MAL, though I do know they tend to add the bonus/extra but in this case that woud be the "Danpo" chapters but there's one for each volume (excluding this one), although this volume has 2 or 3 small omakes inbetween chapters.

Either way, 134 is the last story of Barakamon so don't be confused.

If I had to be honest I would like to see more of Hiroshi in Tokyo, Handa having to deal with another Winter and some more of the other villagers, but this was a nice final chapter given that sometimes they end up being disappointing, this one was really good one.

The wall of mediocrity has been climbed.
Aug 21, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2018
Was there anything about Sei and that Ojou girl (the arranged marriage partner) in the last volume or did they drop that entirely?
Aug 22, 2019 5:11 AM

Jan 2013
tr25a3 said:
Was there anything about Sei and that Ojou girl (the arranged marriage partner) in the last volume or did they drop that entirely?

As far as I remember that was dealt with in the same volume that she appeared. She shows up when Handa goes to Tokyo with Naru but that's it.
Aug 22, 2019 11:33 PM
Mar 2015
Nice to have him sitting on the wall with Naru at the end
Aug 23, 2019 12:14 AM

Jun 2015
That was such a nice ending. I am going to miss this manga so much.
:)
Aug 23, 2019 1:04 AM
May 2017
Was a nice ending. Really going to miss this manga <3
Aug 24, 2019 11:26 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
A great manga, been following for quite a while. Such a melancholic yet uplifting end.

10/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 25, 2019 4:55 AM

Mar 2015
SOL comedy was it's peak, story continuation is not. 8/10.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 25, 2019 8:58 PM
Oct 2017
would be cool to see some sort of sequel form Narus point of view when shes like a teenager or somethimg. Like when Barakamon was a continuation from Handa-kun, now it would be a continuation from Barakamon. Just an neat idea.
Jan 10, 2020 5:18 AM
Jan 2020
@bugbaer ikr!!! Its a manga that makes me laugh a lot, the characters are interesting and super lovable. So being able to see what happens in their future would be great. I miss em already haha. So I hope that the author would make a sequel.
Jan 30, 2020 3:35 AM
Jan 2019
It was the awesome ride I am glad that I did this Manga

I was expecting Handa to be more famous in the end

But I am happy 10/10
Mar 20, 2020 1:17 PM
Feb 2018
bugbaer said:
would be cool to see some sort of sequel form Narus point of view when shes like a teenager or somethimg. Like when Barakamon was a continuation from Handa-kun, now it would be a continuation from Barakamon. Just an neat idea.
It ain't a JoJo. So, I don't see it happening.
May 12, 2020 6:21 PM

Jan 2019
I don't often say this about manga, but I wonder if the ending might have been improved by having a time skip at the end so we could see where everyone ended up. Like Hiroshi working at restaurant, Tama as a manga artist, and Miwa doing... something. I'm also a little disappointed that we never learned anything about Naru's mother.

I am glad that it ended with Handa getting back into calligraphy.
May 15, 2020 8:57 PM

Nov 2017
orangeskull said:
I don't often say this about manga, but I wonder if the ending might have been improved by having a time skip at the end so we could see where everyone ended up. Like Hiroshi working at restaurant, Tama as a manga artist, and Miwa doing... something. I'm also a little disappointed that we never learned anything about Naru's mother.

I am glad that it ended with Handa getting back into calligraphy.
I wish there was more Handa-Ojou moments. And I couldn't agree more with the time skip ending cause I would love to see how much Handa's calligraphy school grows in couple of years, Naru, Hina and all the kids growing up and all. Nevertheless I loved the ending.

Sep 7, 2020 3:16 PM

Apr 2009
Eh, weak ending. I can't imagine any other way to end it though, except maybe a time-skip.

Sep 9, 2020 10:45 AM
Dec 2019
The first and last calligraphy he wrote are the same. Read this manga like 5 times already, truly my best manga of all time.
Jan 14, 2021 7:55 AM

Apr 2017
I actually liked it more for not doing a typical time-skip ending. Just like Handa ended up on a different life path than the one he "should've" been on, it's possible everyone else ended up in different places than they wanted. I think a time-skip chapter would kind of defeat one of the themes of the manga: that something can happen that suddenly changes the path of your life (or makes you want to change it).

It'd have been great to see more Handa/Ojou stuff. Kirie's reaction to both of them not-flirting was one of the funniest moments in the manga.
Aug 6, 2021 2:04 AM
Jul 2021
Manga was so funny and heart warming.But I think it deserves a sequel .I want to see Handa becoming famous and popular too.
Jun 9, 2022 7:24 PM

Sep 2021
Ending felt a bit rushed but otherwise a great manga
Sci-Fi Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2022 9:41 PM

Jan 2012
I'm also confused by the 135 chapters thing going on here on MAL as this was the end of volume 18. I just looked at volume 18+1 though which I plan to read next and that has 4 more chapters so if anything this should have 138 chapters total on here, but oh well.

Ending as we began, with Naru and Handa-sensei staring out to sea atop the wall. Fitting, certainly. I honestly can't remember how I stumbled across Barakamon anymore. It took me many years to finally finish my physical collection. There were times where I figured I'd never get my hands on later volumes after missing out on the first prints, but reprints finally came earlier this fall and I didn't miss out again. I'm about as far removed as you can possibly get in regards to a target audience for this series. I really don't and won't ever get to know what it's like living near the goto islands or seto inland sea. I barely even know where they are. And yet, despite the significant cultural barriers present I found myself smiling while reading this. The series is pretty much what you'd want out of any slice-of-life. Calming, relaxing, light-hearted fun. At times I even got pretty emotional reading it. Almost wistful. I loved the anime adaptation, to this day it's my #1 anime of 2014, and only wish we'd gotten a complete adaptation. But oh well. I see Satsuki Yoshino, the author, has a new series that's begun getting releases. Maybe I'll check that out one day too. For now I'm looking forward to reading 18+1. Strong 9/10.

More topics from this board

» New chapters?

Frosteek - Apr 21, 2023

4 by Frosteek »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 7 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Aug 7, 2011

4 by AnkitM »»
Aug 8, 2023 8:40 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 68 & Danpo the 8th Discussion

CrimsonSilver4 - Dec 19, 2015

4 by DespoAMV »»
Jan 11, 2023 2:22 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 58 Discussion

CrimsonSilver4 - Dec 5, 2015

2 by HiMaNGa_K_BaRUaH »»
Oct 19, 2022 11:13 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 1 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Aug 7, 2011

6 by OnigirisBasket »»
Sep 10, 2022 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.