Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

For those of you who've watched Goblin Slayer, why did you continue it? Furthermore, what is your opinion on the use of violent/obscene scenes for shock factor?

Aug 16, 8:01 PM

Obviously, this thread will spoil some of Goblin Slayer:

I just wanted to know because after watching half of the first EP, I was immediately disgusted and felt dirty.

Aug 16, 8:03 PM

Because I wanted to see a guy killing goblins.

My opinion is that a lot of series are far more violent and that people overreacted for something that lasted less than 20 seconds on the first episode.

Modified by Heimur, Aug 16, 8:12 PM

Aug 16, 8:05 PM
I didn''t care about the violence. I dropped it on episode 7 because it was boring as hell

Aug 16, 8:10 PM

Simple plot with a simple MC.
GS's violent is barely much of a shock factor when comparing it to berserk or other shows.

Aug 16, 11:29 PM

the scene everyone complained about didn't affect me, so i kept on watching just for the hell of it - and to see what would come out of it in the end. turns out, it was a waste of my time anyway.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?

Aug 17, 4:22 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Thread moved from Anime & Manga Recommendations
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Aug 20, 3:39 PM

It adds to the world building. Also gives the show a much more dark vibe. People are just whining about it being too edgy. While no one has a problem with tokyo ghoul or berserk.

Aug 25, 2:30 AM
I kept watching because it's a good show. The violence as shock fits with the theme, it's not used just for the sake of it

Sep 5, 3:49 AM

For starters it wasn't just for shock factor, it served to let the audience know that goblins = bad. And as for the reason I continued, it seemed like an interesting story of a man coping with his past, that's all.

Sep 11, 2:09 PM
Thread topic is clearly done to bait and troll people.

Sep 11, 4:37 PM

I honestly didn’t care or feel offended or snowflakey(?) after the scene. I watched it all the way through because idk why. I found it boring most of the time.

Sep 11, 10:31 PM

It's not even that ''disgusting'', now unnecessarily edgy? Yes.
It was funny to watch for half of the anime, then there's a point you get that there is no more to it. Basically, every character is plain simple, even the main male character has a dull look on life, doesn't speak or interact with anything or anyone. How is an anime supposed to be good with this in mind? You can easily see how there is no more to it in episode 10. It seemed like a filler episode and in the end they show a a ''plot twist'' - if you can even call that - just to have something to fill the rest of the episodes. In those 2 episodes every adventurer you acquainted with - yes acquainted because... there is no character development - nothing interesting or great about the fight besides our MC being tossed around and miraculously saved like he always does.

I get the rape thing from a ''reproduction'' stand point. Now the problem is that it's not shown as something smart, it was made to be edgy and that's the biggest issue in this show. This edginess replaces everything that would work on a good anime point of view, now the only glimpses that I've seen are:
- Low profile harem even though the protagonist is dead inside;
- Boobs and their rotation skills, or even hanging skills (Cow Girl);
- Comic relief from every other character than our MC because he is lame, not only in personality but in battle skills.

What I have to say is that this anime is poorly made. And keep this in mind: The Priestess and him alone are so boring that they had to fill the gap with generic classes and races and a ton of edginess to make anything out of this. A lizard that likes cheese, a tsundere elf that gets drunk easily and a dwarf that spits wine and throws rocks. Wow, original!
Modified by Nyanda, Sep 12, 5:37 PM

Sep 15, 1:58 AM

I dunno I saw nothing disturbing there or particularly shocking. Simple show with a simple goal: mindless killing of goblins. Kind of similar to Doom games were you run arround aimlessly and murder anything that moves in a guresome way...

Watching this show felt like watching a poor man's Berserk tbh.

Wasn't particularly interesting or special in any way and mc is very bland and emotionless to the point where it becomes annoying. Good show to kill time I gues...

Sep 16, 11:15 PM

Because I am not a SJW that thinks rape is the worst thing in the world, 1000x worse than murder etc. Of course I do condemn it, but I don't agree with people who think it's worse to rape someone than to kill someone. I also understand that girls can falsely accuse guy of attempted rape to destroy his life, because they are just people, and people can be vicious (I am mentioning this because SJWs were also butthurt about rape accusation storyline in shield hero). If I can handle movies with people getting killed, I can handle a cartoon with imaginary rape. To be honest it was an interesting concept that fueled my rage against goblins and made me cheer for the main guy, and it was rarely mentioned aparat from first ep, so it's really not that big of a deal.

So to sum things up - if you are okay with watching people getting mutilated and dismembered, but not raped, something is wrong.

Sep 25, 6:03 AM
I love the concept.
Goblins the weak monsters in video games, are actually the most dangerous of them all.

The Rape scenes make senses, since in this world there are no female goblins only male. and they mate with the females of other species to increase their populations.

The violence was adequete, and I could feel the horror of being caught in a goblin ambush.

The first episode was very tamed compared to the actual manga. There was no full on Nuditiy (No Nipples shown) So it tells you that the animators did not want the rape to be seen as erotic. I mean if you found it erotic then that is your own issue.

The point is at the end of the day, a good goblins is a dead goblin.
And underestimating them can be fatal.

Still a good show.

In terms of Violence and Rape I would say Berserk is still edgier and better done.

Sep 30, 8:17 AM
Nyanda said:
It's not even that ''disgusting'', now unnecessarily edgy? Yes.
It was funny to watch for half of the anime, then there's a point you get that there is no more to it. Basically, every character is plain simple, even the main male character has a dull look on life, doesn't speak or interact with anything or anyone. How is an anime supposed to be good with this in mind? You can easily see how there is no more to it in episode 10. It seemed like a filler episode and in the end they show a a ''plot twist'' - if you can even call that - just to have something to fill the rest of the episodes. In those 2 episodes every adventurer you acquainted with - yes acquainted because... there is no character development - nothing interesting or great about the fight besides our MC being tossed around and miraculously saved like he always does.

I get the rape thing from a ''reproduction'' stand point. Now the problem is that it's not shown as something smart, it was made to be edgy and that's the biggest issue in this show. This edginess replaces everything that would work on a good anime point of view, now the only glimpses that I've seen are:
- Low profile harem even though the protagonist is dead inside;
- Boobs and their rotation skills, or even hanging skills (Cow Girl);
- Comic relief from every other character than our MC because he is lame, not only in personality but in battle skills.

What I have to say is that this anime is poorly made. And keep this in mind: The Priestess and him alone are so boring that they had to fill the gap with generic classes and races and a ton of edginess to make anything out of this. A lizard that likes cheese, a tsundere elf that gets drunk easily and a dwarf that spits wine and throws rocks. Wow, original!
>I get the rape thing from a ''reproduction'' stand point. Now the problem is that it's not shown as something smart, it was made to be edgy and that's the biggest issue in this show.

What does that even mean? How is something edgy if it makes sense.

How is goblin slayer generic , he's a troupe and how he's used in the story is different from others of his archetype.

Sep 30, 9:19 AM
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
I dunno I saw nothing disturbing there or particularly shocking. Simple show with a simple goal: mindless killing of goblins. Kind of similar to Doom games were you run arround aimlessly and murder anything that moves in a guresome way...

Wasn't particularly interesting or special in any way and mc is very bland and emotionless to the point where it becomes annoying. Good show to kill time I gues...
Him being bland and emotionally is what makes it interesting, it shows his trauma and that contrast with the chartasis he gets from killing goblins.

Sep 30, 9:23 AM
I had no problem with it because I'm not one of those retards who are fine with violence and killing but somehow immediately feel oh so morally obligated to be disgusted by rape. I think murder is way worse than rape and there plenty of it shown in anime and live action tv. If you don't have a problem watching murder and think it's totally ok then you're a hypocrite for saying rape is wrong to watch. Pick one or pick none.
FUCK THE CHARACTER COUNT CHECK!

Oct 12, 9:17 AM

Black_Sheep97 said:
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:

Him being bland and emotionally is what makes it interesting, it shows his trauma and that contrast with the chartasis he gets from killing goblins.

Does not make it interesting for me