Forum Settings
Forums

Mental illness issues could make death penalty impossible for Kyoto Animation arsonist

New
Aug 16, 2019 6:06 PM

May 2018
Psychiatric and legal experts comment on the possibility of arsonist in attack that killed 35 being sentenced to die for his crimes.

Immediately following the deadly arson attack on anime production company Kyoto Animation last month, police apprehended 41-year-old Shinji Aoba, who was taken into custody near the scene of the crime while saying “They stole my novel” and “I spread the gasoline and lit it with a lighter.”

Aoba, who also suffered burns in the incident, has been hospitalized, and is yet to be formally arraigned. The circumstances under which he was taken into custody, though, as well as security footage of him pushing a cart with two canisters of gasoline in the vicinity of Kyoto Animation’s Fushimi studio prior to the attack, leave little room in which he could plausibly deny being the arsonist. However, his culpability, in a legal sense, could be limited.

In a press conference held the day after the attack, Ryoji Nishiyama, head of the Kyoto Prefectural Police’s First Investigation Department, said “We have information indicating [Aoba] has a mental illness.” The exact nature of the purported illness has yet to be disclosed, but Japanese news organization Daily Shincho spoke with several psychological and legal experts as to how Aoba’s mental health could affect what legal repercussions he could face.

Masaru Wakasa, a lawyer who previously served as vice-director of the Public Prosecutors Office’s Tokyo’s Special Investigation Department, says that if Aoba is found t have been acting under a diminished mental capacity while carrying out the attack, there’s a chance he could be found not guilty, in accordance of Article 39 of the Japanese penal code.

Prominent psychiatrist Tamami Katada said that Aoba exhibited signs of what could be schizophrenia or castrophrenia, also known as “thought withdrawal,” in which a person believes that ideas are being forcefully taken from the their mind by outside forces. Katada goes on to say that such a delusion could have fed into a persecution complex and fueled a desire for violent revenge, culminating in the attack. It’s not clear, though, if Katada’s comments were made before or after Kyoto Animation confirmed that had received a submission Shinji Aoba in one of its regularly held novel-writing competitions.

However, Konan University law professor Osamu Watanabe holds that Aoba’s actions are consistent with someone who was well aware of the lethal effects they would have, and went through with them anyway. He cites the premeditated nature of the attack, which required the purchase and transportation of a large quantity of gasoline, the bag of other tools of destruction, hammers and bladed instruments that Aoba was carrying, and that he was heard by witnesses shouting “Die” during the attack. “It would be strange to say he was even slightly incapable of understanding his actions, and I believe there is ample justification to pursue the death penalty.”

Wakasa is inclined to agree with Watanabe, pointing to how Aoba verbally admitted to setting the fire while he was being apprehended, though the possibility remains that even if Aoba is found guilty, a psychiatric evaluation could make the maximum enforceable punishment life in prison.

Meanwhile, with the specifics of prosecution out of their hands, some Kyoto Animation artists are focusing on their own “ultimate counterattack,” continuing to pour their passion into creating animated works of the quality their fallen comrades strove for.

https://soranews24.com/2019/08/15/mental-illness-issues-could-make-death-penalty-impossible-for-kyoto-animation-arsonist/

Really hope he get death sentence.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 16, 2019 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
Death sentence won't solve anything.
Aug 16, 2019 6:11 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
He deserves death penalty nonetheless, and regardless of mental health. Justice is about retribution. He ended thirdy lives and more, shattered so many families, and how many hearts torn? Justice isn't all about clemency, and some wrongdoing cannot, ever, be repaid. Murder is one such crime. May he perish.

Aug 16, 2019 6:13 PM

May 2018
He deserves to be tortured or suffer inhumanly. Death Penalty is too humane for a criminal like that.
Aug 16, 2019 6:24 PM

Nov 2008
Death penalty, life is too good for a man who's killed 35 people just for his novel being ripped off, everything is ripped off these days, they're called mockbusters.

Aug 16, 2019 6:35 PM
Mar 2011
i have never and will never agree with the death penlity even when something that effected me like the aum terror attack i disagree with them being killed the death Penality is morally abhorrent to me as an anarchist the state should not hold right of life and death over anyone

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 16, 2019 6:43 PM

Jan 2009
the insanity defense at work then, welp if he got a untreated schizophrenia i can somehow see why he will not get the death penalty especiallly being a schizophrenic myself and at my worst times back in the past i feel i realy got no control and is ignorant of whats really real

a life sentence in prison and a torturing mental illness like schizophrenia is like the best hell for him anyway
Aug 16, 2019 8:18 PM

Oct 2013
Bleed the goat! For Diké, the god of Justice demands blood so that nature's balance be restored. Death begets death
DateYutaka said:
i have never and will never agree with the death penlity even when something that effected me like the aum terror attack i disagree with them being killed the death Penality is morally abhorrent to me as an anarchist the state should not hold right of life and death over anyone
Date, do you agree with me in that death penalty is a sort of religious ritual?
UnoPuntoCincoAug 17, 2019 1:25 AM
Aug 16, 2019 8:21 PM

Mar 2014
Dude should still be carved into a blood eagle for good measure. I don't care if he's mentally ill he's a menace to society and should be put down like the rabid dog that he is.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Aug 16, 2019 10:43 PM

Oct 2010
How convenient. So he could live alone no problem, eat, work, do chores, yet when he kills 35 people on purpose, he has an imaginary mental illness.
Aug 16, 2019 11:48 PM

May 2013
Hopefully he is at least imprisoned instead of set free after a brief stint in some mental ward.
Aug 16, 2019 11:52 PM

Jul 2015
Catalano said:
How convenient. So he could live alone no problem, eat, work, do chores, yet when he kills 35 people on purpose, he has an imaginary mental illness.
You literally know nothing about that mans life. Stop making shit up so that it fits your narrative.

It is perfectly possible that the he suffers from schizophrenia but usually functions fine on meds, but then he stopped taking them.
It is perfectly possible that he didn't have schizophrenia, that it just broke out this year and really messed him up.
It is perfectly possible that he had someone taking care of him but then the caretaking situation changed and he was suddenly left alone.

You're really just trying to justify your bloodthirst here I doubt that you even have a source for what you said, and even if you have a source, there are still ways in which him being mentally ill can be true, as stated above. This is a pretty pathetic display from you, not gonna lie.

Seriously, nothing but bloodthirsty motherfuckers in this thread. Sometimes I wonder how humanity managed to survive to 2019 if the impulse of the average person is to demand the brutal execution of someone who might not even be culpable.

Assholes, the lot of you.

To the few people who didn't immediately jump to the caveman reply of "KiLL HiM!!11!", thanks for being voices of reason.

@ugmon you changed your username, didn't you deg? I thought you had disappeared for a while.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 16, 2019 11:54 PM

Jan 2009
@Railey2

yep im deg lol, i thought my huge post count was obvious enough
Aug 16, 2019 11:57 PM

Jul 2015
ugmon said:
@Railey2

there are some people with postcounts like that, because of clubs mostly. I kind of figured it was you, but I wasn't certain. Now the talk about schizophrenia gave it away :p

anyway, I'm happy that you aren't one of the people who want to rip the guy to shreds simply because he caused harm.
Good on you man.

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Aug 17, 2019 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
Railey2 said:
ugmon said:
@Railey2

there are some people with postcounts like that, because of clubs mostly. I kind of figured it was you, but I wasn't certain. Now the talk about schizophrenia gave it away :p

anyway, I'm happy that you aren't one of the people who want to rip the guy to shreds simply because he caused harm.
Good on you man.

you give me too much credit for that man, i think i may have a hard time with forgiveness here too if im a huge fan of KyoAni too or especially if im a family member of the victims
Aug 17, 2019 12:09 AM

Jul 2015
ugmon said:
Railey2 said:

Good on you man.

you give me too much credit for that man, i think i may have a hard time with forgiveness here too if im a huge fan of KyoAni too or especially if im a family member of the victims
You don't have to forgive him, it's enough to recognize that this just might be a case where punishment doesn't make any sense because the perpetrator wasn't the one making the decision to committ the crime.

If the average person only put half as much thought into their decisions as you did, we'd be in a much better shape today.

Aug 17, 2019 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
Railey2 said:
ugmon said:

You don't have to forgive him, it's enough to recognize that this just might be a case where punishment doesn't make any sense because the perpetrator wasn't the one making the decision to committ the crime.

If the average person only put half as much thought into their decisions as you did, we'd be in a much better shape today.

I wonder what's gonna happen. Yeah he could be not executed cuz of insanity but he also killed a lot of important people in japan which many have strong emotional attachments to so I think it's more likely he will be executed. If the 35 were salarymen or something, sure the outrage at the general situation would be the same but not as concentrated from certain groups. Kyoani is a big deal to Japan, financially to the industry and emotionally to the hearts of the fans and likely to fans of anime in general.

It seems like they're really up for the execution. My guess is the case will stay in legal limbo for a while like that case of the kidnapping/rape/murder of that one high school japanese girl all those years ago. Different circumstances but I'm guessing the legal response and speed will be about the same.

I wonder what you think @Railey2
Aug 17, 2019 12:45 AM

Sep 2018
Everyone who does stuff like that has a "mental illness", that should not stop him from getting the death penalty.

It's not as if he was someone with an IQ of 50 who accidentally set fire to the place.
Aug 17, 2019 12:52 AM

Oct 2010
@Railey2 yes, I have no proof for what I said, just common sense, just like Queen's Park Rangers fan said in his post.
Aug 17, 2019 1:03 AM

Jul 2015
HungryForQuality said:
Railey2 said:

I wonder what's gonna happen. Yeah he could be not executed cuz of insanity but he also killed a lot of important people in japan which many have strong emotional attachments to so I think it's more likely he will be executed. If the 35 were salarymen or something, sure the outrage at the general situation would be the same but not as concentrated from certain groups. Kyoani is a big deal to Japan, financially to the industry and emotionally to the hearts of the fans and likely to fans of anime in general.

It seems like they're really up for the execution. My guess is the case will stay in legal limbo for a while like that case of the kidnapping/rape/murder of that one high school japanese girl all those years ago. Different circumstances but I'm guessing the legal response and speed will be about the same.

I wonder what you think @Railey2
I have no idea how their judicial system operates, but if they're even bending to public opinion a little bit, he's probably gonna get killed.

@QPR maybe not IQ50, but perhaps someone whose reality was so twisted that he had no choice in the matter.
The idea behind punishment is generally that it should prevent a certain behavior by providing disincentive. That's why we rightfully don't punish people for things that happen completely accidentally through no fault of their own, such as running over a kid that jumped in front of your car when you had no time to react at all.
You can easily see how punishing the driver wouldn't prevent kids from being run over in the future.

The same could apply here. If you have extreme schizophrenic delusions, you can't even tell what's real anymore. My question to you: What exactly is the sense in punishing someone who harmed people when he was in a mental state like that? Clearly you're not seeking to prevent crime, because the schizophrenic had just as little of a say in what he did as the guy who run over the kid.

What are you out to accomplish?

Catalano said:
@Railey2 yes, I have no proof for what I said, just common sense, just like Queen's Park Rangers fan said in his post.
so what you're saying is that you made it up. That's exactly what I thought.

Aug 17, 2019 1:06 AM

Apr 2012
Good. Adding more murders never solves anything. The death penalty has been abolished throughout the civilised world.
Aug 17, 2019 1:11 AM

Oct 2010
@Railey2 it's true that he lived alone though and he was 41, how the hell did he managed? let's wait for a few years for the full sentence, this trial will take long.
Aug 17, 2019 1:51 AM

Sep 2018
Railey2 said:

@QPR maybe not IQ50, but perhaps someone whose reality was so twisted that he had no choice in the matter.
The idea behind punishment is generally that it should prevent a certain behavior by providing disincentive. That's why we rightfully don't punish people for things that happen completely accidentally through no fault of their own, such as running over a kid that jumped in front of your car when you had no time to react at all.
You can easily see how punishing the driver wouldn't prevent kids from being run over in the future.

The same could apply here. If you have extreme schizophrenic delusions, you can't even tell what's real anymore. My question to you: What exactly is the sense in punishing someone who harmed people when he was in a mental state like that? Clearly you're not seeking to prevent crime, because the schizophrenic had just as little of a say in what he did as the guy who run over the kid.

It will prevent him from ever being released and for it to happen again. Hopefully Japan has a permanent detention unlike we have because the EU won't allow it, well at least for another couple of months...

Multiple rapists, kiddy fiddlers, murderers should never be let out into the public again, they nearly always destroy some poor persons life.
Aug 17, 2019 2:00 AM

Jul 2015
QPR said:
Railey2 said:

It will prevent him from ever being released and for it to happen again. Hopefully Japan has a permanent detention unlike we have because the EU won't allow it, well at least for another couple of months...

Multiple rapists, kiddy fiddlers, murderers should never be let out into the public again, they nearly always destroy some poor persons life.
well i have great news for you then because there's this really nice thing we have in the 21st century that's called "mental health treatment", you know it's this thing where people that suffer from mental illness get medication to keep the symptoms in check, and where they have people look over them to help them out.

That's usually the go-to in civilized countries so that these mentally ill people can still live somewhat dignified lives in spite of their illness.

Or, I don't know, we could just murder them, that works too, right? Can't commit any crime if you're dead, haha! Blood for the Blood God!

Aug 17, 2019 2:16 AM

Apr 2012
QPR said:
Hopefully Japan has a permanent detention unlike we have because the EU won't allow it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole-life_orders
Aug 17, 2019 3:33 AM

Sep 2018
logopolis said:
QPR said:
Hopefully Japan has a permanent detention unlike we have because the EU won't allow it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole-life_orders

Did you actually read it? There must be some possibility of parole or it breaches their "human rights".

There is no life sentence, it must be reviewed after 25 years.
Aug 17, 2019 3:37 AM

Sep 2018
Railey2 said:
]well i have great news for you then because there's this really nice thing we have in the 21st century that's called "mental health treatment", you know it's this thing where people that suffer from mental illness get medication to keep the symptoms in check, and where they have people look over them to help them out.

That's usually the go-to in civilized countries so that these mentally ill people can still live somewhat dignified lives in spite of their illness.

Or, I don't know, we could just murder them, that works too, right? Can't commit any crime if you're dead, haha! Blood for the Blood God!

There's plenty of mentally ill people that can live in society, however this guy is not fit for society so they must either kill him or keep him locked up permanently.

How do you think the families of the dead will feel when he is released, how do you think the families of the next victims will feel?

I'm not celebrating his death/life imprisonment, I just never want him to do that again to anyone else.
Aug 17, 2019 4:03 AM

Jul 2015
QPR said:
Railey2 said:
]well i have great news for you then because there's this really nice thing we have in the 21st century that's called "mental health treatment", you know it's this thing where people that suffer from mental illness get medication to keep the symptoms in check, and where they have people look over them to help them out.

There's plenty of mentally ill people that can live in society, however this guy is not fit for society so they must either kill him or keep him locked up permanently.

How do you think the families of the dead will feel when he is released, how do you think the families of the next victims will feel?

I'm not celebrating his death/life imprisonment, I just never want him to do that again to anyone else.
again, how do you know whether or not he's fit to live in society? He might be fine if he receives proper care.

Storytime, I have an aunt who is schizophrenic. She's a little bit odd but she can function normally for the most part if she's taking her medication. She needs help here and there, but she's doing mostly fine on her own. She even has a job.

One time she stopped taking her medication for more than a week and started believing that my cousin carries some disease that will destroy humanity if it's allowed to spread, so she started rambling about having to kill my cousin. Thankfully nothing happened because her father quickly noticed and put her back on the meds, but this goes to show that normally functioning people can really lose their shit and become dangerous due to mental illness. I'm sure that many people who have experience with psychosis can tell you similar stories.

One day you're functioning just fine and the next day you think that the aliens are watching you and start setting up traps in your living room. Or you go ahead and burn down a building, killing 35 people.

Is my aunt fit for society? The answer is it depends on the care that she receives. If she receives proper care, the answer is yes. If she doesn't, my cousing might have gotten stabbed, and that's how it is with many people that suffer from extreme schizophrenia. That's why proper health care is so important.

I really want to stress this because it's super important and something that you absolutely have to understand when talking about schizophrenia. For all you know, the guy set Kyoani on fire is completely safe if he receives proper care and has someone to check in on him on a weekly basis. This isn't only a distinct possibility either, it's a very real possibility.

Now on to the next point, "but how will the families feel?"
How will they feel if he isn't killed by the state? I have no idea, it depends on the person, I suppose. Let's just say that I don't give a fuck about the feelings of people who think that it's right to have mentally ill people murdered. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Lots of people feel lots of things. We shouldn't always listen to them.

I'm glad that you and I agree that the first and foremost priority should be the prevention of further harm. I don't want the guy to get out and kill again either. I think nobody wants that. I'm sure even he doesn't want that, at this point.

Aug 17, 2019 4:18 AM

Sep 2018
I am not going to comment on your family but I assume she hasn't yet killed multiple people unlike this guy who got angry purely because he thought they stole his forum sig.

He should never be put in a position to harm another person again, same goes for kiddy fiddlers and multiple rapists.

Anyway, it's a cop out, funny how every hacker is a Aspergers/autistic person, they just use it to get a lesser sentence as this guy is now that he probably realises he will be sentenced to death.
Aug 17, 2019 4:58 AM

Oct 2014
Railey2 said:
QPR said:

again, how do you know whether or not he's fit to live in society? He might be fine if he receives proper care.

Storytime, I have an aunt who is schizophrenic. She's a little bit odd but she can function normally for the most part if she's taking her medication. She needs help here and there, but she's doing mostly fine on her own. She even has a job.

One time she stopped taking her medication for more than a week and started believing that my cousin carries some disease that will destroy humanity if it's allowed to spread, so she started rambling about having to kill my cousin. Thankfully nothing happened because her father quickly noticed and put her back on the meds, but this goes to show that normally functioning people can really lose their shit and become dangerous due to mental illness. I'm sure that many people who have experience with psychosis can tell you similar stories.

One day you're functioning just fine and the next day you think that the aliens are watching you and start setting up traps in your living room. Or you go ahead and burn down a building, killing 35 people.

Is my aunt fit for society? The answer is it depends on the care that she receives. If she receives proper care, the answer is yes. If she doesn't, my cousing might have gotten stabbed, and that's how it is with many people that suffer from extreme schizophrenia. That's why proper health care is so important.

I really want to stress this because it's super important and something that you absolutely have to understand when talking about schizophrenia. For all you know, the guy set Kyoani on fire is completely safe if he receives proper care and has someone to check in on him on a weekly basis. This isn't only a distinct possibility either, it's a very real possibility.

Now on to the next point, "but how will the families feel?"
How will they feel if he isn't killed by the state? I have no idea, it depends on the person, I suppose. Let's just say that I don't give a fuck about the feelings of people who think that it's right to have mentally ill people murdered. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Lots of people feel lots of things. We shouldn't always listen to them.

I'm glad that you and I agree that the first and foremost priority should be the prevention of further harm. I don't want the guy to get out and kill again either. I think nobody wants that. I'm sure even he doesn't want that, at this point.

Yh I hope that as well.

Here in the Netherlands, we have TBS clinics, which are psychiatric institutions who help those with a mental illness who committed crime to go back to society.

Sadly these clinics are also flawed, leading to mistakesthat sadly takes lives.
Or give ppl the wrong treatment and thus only worsen the condition like this example

(Note: I don't view autism as an Mental Disorder)

The thing is that Japan is also not so far in things like Mental health. ppl there can be diagnosed with Depression despite not having that and having Autism instead.
https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/understanding-autism/understanding-autism/autism-in-japan-0

Now I do hope that Japan has the necessary resources to help individuals who have a Mental Disorder.
Aug 17, 2019 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
@QPR here it is again in short form

your 1st argument: He isn't fit to live in society because he's dangerous, so he should be killed.
my response: Many people with schizophrenia can be dangerous (such as my aunt), but these are manageable conditions with the proper care.

your 2nd argument: The families will feel angry if he's not killed.
my response: lots of radical muslims feel angry if the infidels aren't killed, doesn't mean we should honor those feelings. You better bring some better arguments than that one, because feelings alone aren't sufficient to decide over the life and death of a person.

So i don't know why you're saying this:
QPR said:
I am not going to comment on your family but I assume she hasn't yet killed multiple people unlike this guy who got angry purely because he thought they stole his forum sig.
this has nothing to do with my response to your 1st argument. People can be dangerous without ever having killed someone. You don't suddenly "become" dangerous after the first crime you've committed.

But I get it, you don't really recgnize mental illness as something that's real when it actually matters, even though schizophrenia is a really plausible explanation for this guys behavior, given the delusional motive of the crime. Just look at what you said here:
QPR said:
Anyway, it's a cop out, funny how every hacker is a Aspergers/autistic person, they just use it to get a lesser sentence as this guy is now that he probably realises he will be sentenced to death.
Yeah, I guess they're all just pretending to get an easy out. Except of course that's not what's happening, because the person who said that he's schizophrenic isn't the arsonist himself, but a number of medically trained professionals. These people are a lot harder to trick than you might think. Just a cop out, you say...

At this point it really seems like you just want to believe that the arsonist is comicbook-type evil, so you can justify the part of you that craves "eye-for-an-eye" more than anything.
Just look at this thread for a second, there are people here who suggest that the arsonist be tortured to death. Do you really wanna be like that?

I'm just happy that most lawmakers don't listen to their lowly impulses the way most people seem to.
Railey2Aug 17, 2019 5:08 AM

Aug 17, 2019 5:07 AM

Oct 2014
QPR said:

He should never be put in a position to harm another person again, same goes for kiddy fiddlers and multiple rapists.

Wow... just wow.... so.

So you are saying that ppl on the autism spectrum are the same as ppl with a mental Disorder?

You cannot say such things because you DO NOT KNOW THESE PPL.
Aug 17, 2019 6:03 AM

Jan 2009
I'm against the death penalty as well, but the only argument for it imho is when those people land in "Sicherungsverwahrungen" (preventive detentions) and/or in mental institutions and still manage to break free because of a lack in security and cause further harm. We also couldn't stop a mentally deranged person who has been wanted in Switzerland (and who had undergone treatment there) from crossing over borders and pushing a boy to his death in Frankfurt a.M.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/31/world/crime-legal-world/man-pushed-german-boy-train-run-swiss-police/

Aug 17, 2019 6:06 AM

Dec 2012
Someone should slit this guy's throat and claim to have a mental illness called vengeance.
Aug 17, 2019 6:09 AM
Mar 2011
i think i find it funny that the Libertarians of mal are ok with the state holding the right of life and death over people is ok
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 17, 2019 6:55 AM

Sep 2018
Bourmegar said:

Wow... just wow.... so.

So you are saying that ppl on the autism spectrum are the same as ppl with a mental Disorder?

You cannot say such things because you DO NOT KNOW THESE PPL.

No, they say it themselves, I am just telling you what they say. There's no opinion from me.
Aug 17, 2019 6:58 AM

Sep 2018
Noboru said:
I'm against the death penalty as well, but the only argument for it imho is when those people land in "Sicherungsverwahrungen" (preventive detentions) and/or in mental institutions and still manage to break free because of a lack in security and cause further harm. We also couldn't stop a mentally deranged person who has been wanted in Switzerland (and who had undergone treatment there) from crossing over borders and pushing a boy to his death in Frankfurt a.M.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/31/world/crime-legal-world/man-pushed-german-boy-train-run-swiss-police/

There was also a guy who threw a 6 year old off the top of a ten story building. These people should never be allowed in society. Do gooders are just responsible for more death and suffering.
Aug 17, 2019 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
DateYutaka said:
i think i find it funny that the Libertarians of mal are ok with the state holding the right of life and death over people is ok
most people who claim to be Libertarians aren't really libertarians.

They only care about liberty to the extent that it allows them to spread their actual ideology without fear of consequence.

Aug 17, 2019 7:37 AM
Feb 2017
ugmon said:
@Railey2

I liked "deg" better; no wonder I haven't seen you around.
MegaStrideAug 17, 2019 7:45 AM
Aug 17, 2019 7:44 AM
Feb 2017
I'm against the death penalty, although at one point a while back I wasn't. I don't think killing other people fixes anything, it's just revenge at it's finest and makes those who want him dead honestly just as bad. Sounds like what a shounen MC would say, but it's still honestly true that if you want to enforce death and torture then you're just as terrible.
Aug 17, 2019 7:51 AM
Mar 2011
Railey2 said:
DateYutaka said:

They only care about liberty to the extent that it allows them to spread their actual ideology without fear of consequence.

so you are saying im the only true Libertarian here iv always been consistent in my view on social Libertarianism

Aug 17, 2019 7:57 AM

Apr 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
I'm against the death penalty, although at one point a while back I wasn't. I don't think killing other people fixes anything, it's just revenge at it's finest and makes those who want him dead honestly just as bad. Sounds like what a shounen MC would say, but it's still honestly true that if you want to enforce death and torture then you're just as terrible.

Couldn't agree more, better to let him rot in prison as he spends the rest of his life running away from his own guilt at the disgraceful and unforgivable actions he has committed. That way at least it wont be physical torture, it'll be mental, and it'll be that way til he dies. I can understand where people are coming from when they say he should be killed though, I just cant justify it myself personally
Aug 17, 2019 8:04 AM
Feb 2017
TheHamMan15 said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Couldn't agree more, better to let him rot in prison as he spends the rest of his life running away from his own guilt at the disgraceful and unforgivable actions he has committed. That way at least it wont be physical torture, it'll be mental, and it'll be that way til he dies. I can understand where people are coming from when they say he should be killed though, I just cant justify it myself personally

Not only will he have to serve for what he has done, but I still think that people can change their ways before their life ends.
Aug 17, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
TheHamMan15 said:

Not only will he have to serve for what he has done, but I still think that people can change their ways before their life ends.

Yeah you're completely right, although I personally think an act of murder on this scale is unforgivable in the eyes of society, it is entirely possible that he can change his ways
Aug 17, 2019 8:15 AM

Jul 2015
DateYutaka said:
Railey2 said:

so you are saying im the only true Libertarian here iv always been consistent in my view on social Libertarianism
sure why not.
Sounds awesome.

Aug 17, 2019 9:20 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Executing people is a very good way of preventing atrocities from happening and making society less violent. It also builds trust between the government and the citizens. Prime examples of this absolute utopia are the countries that execute the most people of course - China, North Korea, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
149597871Aug 17, 2019 9:23 AM
Aug 17, 2019 9:25 AM

Aug 2012
149597871 said:
Executing people is a very good way of preventing atrocities from happening and making society less violent. It also builds trust between the government and the citizens. Prime examples of this absolute utopia are the countries that execute the most people of course - China, North Korea, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Your rhetoric is retarded. Death penalty doesn't imply said government is despotic. Democracies can have death penalty. It's just that it's a tendency among despotic autocracies to demonstrate strength by utilizing death penalty. Stop twisting ideas to conform to your shitty beliefs.

Also, when people literally put China and NK with Saudi Arabia in the same sentence, I cringe so hard inside, it feels like all my brain is warping into the size of a termite.
YarubAug 17, 2019 9:33 AM
Aug 17, 2019 9:26 AM

Sep 2017
Death penalty won't make him pay enough for what he did

But spending the rest of his life in jail will

So, if he avoids being hanged (or in whatever way they execute people in Japan), that's a good thing.
Aug 17, 2019 9:32 AM

Apr 2013
Well if they won't game end him like they should I suppose some Weeb Punisher will do the job cause lol whose to say some mentally ill guy that loved Kyoani won't kill this guy out of enraged revenge if he is given a mental illness pardon.
Aidoru-OjisanAug 17, 2019 9:36 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 17, 2019 9:35 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Yarub said:
149597871 said:
Your rhetoric is retarded. Death penalty doesn't imply said government is despotic. Democracies can have death penalty. It's just that it's a tendency among despotic autocracies to demonstrate strength by utilizing death penalty. Stop twisting ideas to conform to yours shitty beliefs.

Oh, excuse me. Sometimes honesty gets the better of me. Yes, it's all a total coincidence. There is absolutely no connection between violent societies or tyrannical governments and the death penalty, what kind of bigot would even call it a "tendency", rofl. As I ironically said killing criminals in general reduces the total number of crimes and helps the human brain to evolve and adopt more peaceful beliefs which will ultimately turn our society to one of the aforementioned paradises.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.