Forum Settings
Forums

Mental illness issues could make death penalty impossible for Kyoto Animation arsonist

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 19, 2019 4:58 AM

Dec 2012
CondemneDio said:
Lightstone said:
It doesn't mean you should not give a death sentence to whom who deserves!

That's revenge, not justice.
Lock him up, and make him miserable. Killing him is just letting emotions cloud your rationality.
Isn't it also revenge to make him miserable? An uncomfortable life sentence isn't going to right any wrongdoing.
Aug 19, 2019 5:56 AM

Jul 2015
Well of course muricans want him to die. Giving guns to schizos and shooting them down when they pull the trigger is how they deal with mental illness.
Aug 19, 2019 6:29 AM

Feb 2016
Railey2 said:
QPR said:

There's plenty of mentally ill people that can live in society, however this guy is not fit for society so they must either kill him or keep him locked up permanently.

How do you think the families of the dead will feel when he is released, how do you think the families of the next victims will feel?

I'm not celebrating his death/life imprisonment, I just never want him to do that again to anyone else.
again, how do you know whether or not he's fit to live in society? He might be fine if he receives proper care.

Storytime, I have an aunt who is schizophrenic. She's a little bit odd but she can function normally for the most part if she's taking her medication. She needs help here and there, but she's doing mostly fine on her own. She even has a job.

One time she stopped taking her medication for more than a week and started believing that my cousin carries some disease that will destroy humanity if it's allowed to spread, so she started rambling about having to kill my cousin. Thankfully nothing happened because her father quickly noticed and put her back on the meds, but this goes to show that normally functioning people can really lose their shit and become dangerous due to mental illness. I'm sure that many people who have experience with psychosis can tell you similar stories.

One day you're functioning just fine and the next day you think that the aliens are watching you and start setting up traps in your living room. Or you go ahead and burn down a building, killing 35 people.

Is my aunt fit for society? The answer is it depends on the care that she receives. If she receives proper care, the answer is yes. If she doesn't, my cousing might have gotten stabbed, and that's how it is with many people that suffer from extreme schizophrenia. That's why proper health care is so important.

I really want to stress this because it's super important and something that you absolutely have to understand when talking about schizophrenia. For all you know, the guy set Kyoani on fire is completely safe if he receives proper care and has someone to check in on him on a weekly basis. This isn't only a distinct possibility either, it's a very real possibility.

Now on to the next point, "but how will the families feel?"
How will they feel if he isn't killed by the state? I have no idea, it depends on the person, I suppose. Let's just say that I don't give a fuck about the feelings of people who think that it's right to have mentally ill people murdered. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Lots of people feel lots of things. We shouldn't always listen to them.

I'm glad that you and I agree that the first and foremost priority should be the prevention of further harm. I don't want the guy to get out and kill again either. I think nobody wants that. I'm sure even he doesn't want that, at this point.

I get where you are coming from

But from my point of view I think the person should be imprisoned permanently regardless. Perhaps the death penalty is going too far

You cant always say its just "muh mental illness" yes it may have played a factor in why but the perpetrator also knew he was clearly going to kill people
Aug 19, 2019 8:40 AM

Jun 2015
the old trope kill it with fire applies here.

burn him alive
Aug 19, 2019 12:04 PM

May 2016
Don't kill him, make him do labor.

People call it slavery or whatever, but making criminals to do labor just seen like the most logical sentence that doesn't involve ending their life.

Let him atone by being productive and making the taxes used on his survival worth something.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Aug 19, 2019 12:07 PM

Jun 2016
Yarub said:

It's as if Iran isn't one of the top oil exporters too? You're a great poser. Your country literally sells oil to despotic states like NK, and fund their nuclear program, while the people get nothing at all. No free speech and more money is better than nothing at all. In KSA, you're literally only restricted in a dew fields in free speech: religion, the royal family, and state policies. That's fucking it. How can you even compare that to NK where you can't speak for shit?

It is justified in KSA, because that is the law. If you wish to be adulterous, immigrate. Atleast in Saudi Arabia you're not literally jailed inside the country like your shithole.

Except what I said is totally common sense. If you are in danger if you express a state of mind, don't express it. It's survival 101, but humans even regressed into beings that show no intellect or basic instinct, like you.

Stop being the classic west cock sucker and think for yourself for one second.

Yeah, they might be doing that, and I don't agree with them, that's the difference between you and me, I'm not blind and I cannot be bought, I see they're doing a lot of bad stuff, so I say screw them. and by the way, since we're talking about "funding" evil. who's funding all the Islamic schools around the globe? who's teaching young white muslims that "west bad" and "islam good" who's basically training these future extremists?

You don't really know what free speech means, do you? and it's not even just a free speech issue, they don't just shut you up, they fucking kill you, they send you to jail for like...just for talking and writing, and you're defending that...in 2019...and somehow I'm the cock sucker here.

You're not even willing to say what they're doing is wrong, and yet you call me a "classic west cock sucker" just because I believe in human rights. that's just fantastic.

You know slavery was also a law, and so was apartheid, not every law is right. you're basically defending savagery and barbarism, by saying it's just a law. the radicals are saying the same thing about the mandatory hijab here, you hate each other so much (radical shias and you people) but you're so similar, in every way.

"Just leaving" isn't that simple and you know it. rahaf mohammed left, now she's getting death threats daily, not everyone are as lucky as her. and I'm not sure if even women can leave your country without a man's permission? either way, doesn't matter, enjoy your oil money, and in the end, you will go to your heaven and get your virgins, right? good, have an awesome journey.
Aug 19, 2019 12:28 PM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
On homosexuals: Just don't be.
are you serious?
You can't just choose to not be gay, that's not how it works. You can choose to not live as a homosexual, but let's be real, demanding that from people is about as cruel as it gets. It's like telling a straight person that they can never touch a woman, and that they should probably get married to a man OR ELSE

aylarchan is correct, Saudi Arabia and Iran are both horrible countries that commit a shitload of human rights violations. Not to equate them, because Iran is still a lot more regressive than Saudi Arabia, but from a western perspective, they're both REALLY BAD.
Can they be fine to live in? I suppose, if you're somewhat well off and male. If you're not though? Good luck.

I for one respect the people that speak out against the cruelty, especially when they do it at risk of their own lives. Every revolution is paid for in blood, and they're doing their part. Each dead body a stepping stone for the next free thinker, until the day where they can finally be actually free.
I totally understand if your sense for self-preservation supersedes your desire to stand up for what's right, but standing up is not something to scoff at, in my estimation.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 19, 2019 1:21 PM

Oct 2010
Why are people here even questioning the convenience of a mentally ill person receiving psychiatric treatment?
Aug 19, 2019 2:19 PM

Aug 2012
aylarchan said:
Yeah, they might be doing that, and I don't agree with them, that's the difference between you and me, I'm not blind and I cannot be bought, I see they're doing a lot of bad stuff, so I say screw them. and by the way, since we're talking about "funding" evil. who's funding all the Islamic schools around the globe? who's teaching young white muslims that "west bad" and "islam good" who's basically training these future extremists?

When did I say I agree with them? Why are you insinuating that my passivity towards such systems means that I support it? I represent reality completely. i do not tread through imaginations where the Middle East is some democratic heaven, because it's not.
Whatever is done in other countries grounds is their business. If they cannot control their premises, then they deserve to be overthrown by Muslim extremists. Maybe they'll be more competent in governing.

You don't really know what free speech means, do you? and it's not even just a free speech issue, they don't just shut you up, they fucking kill you, they send you to jail for like...just for talking and writing, and you're defending that...in 2019...and somehow I'm the cock sucker here.
The only thing I'm defending about KSA is the fact that Saudi is nowhere near North Korea in tyranny scale.

You're not even willing to say what they're doing is wrong, and yet you call me a "classic west cock sucker" just because I believe in human rights. that's just fantastic.
What they're doing is not wrong nor right. You know what's legal and illegal in said countries. If you do something illegal, then you get punished. Even for "free speech". You don't enter a lion's den expecting not to get torn to pieces, because "oh nyooooo, that's a human rights violation".

You know slavery was also a law, and so was apartheid, not every law is right. you're basically defending savagery and barbarism, by saying it's just a law. the radicals are saying the same thing about the mandatory hijab here, you hate each other so much (radical shias and you people) but you're so similar, in every way.
Islam demolished such laws 13 centuries before the Americans. No we're not, Sunni Islam is much more viable than Shia.

"Just leaving" isn't that simple and you know it. rahaf mohammed left, now she's getting death threats daily, not everyone are as lucky as her. and I'm not sure if even women can leave your country without a man's permission? either way, doesn't matter, enjoy your oil money, and in the end, you will go to your heaven and get your virgins, right? good, have an awesome journey.
They can leave without consent after the age of 21. You keep bringing up oil money, as if you hailed from Zimbabwe or something? Shut the fuck up. You're the cunts who monopolized the whole oil business after the lifting of the oil ban and fucked the whole world.

A note of farewell: Advocate for fixing your shithole of a country before criticizing other ones.

Railey2 said:
Yarub said:
On homosexuals: Just don't be.
are you serious?
You can't just choose to not be gay, that's not how it works. You can choose to not live as a homosexual, but let's be real, demanding that from people is about as cruel as it gets. It's like telling a straight person that they can never touch a woman, and that they should probably get married to a man OR ELSE

aylarchan is correct, Saudi Arabia and Iran are both horrible countries that commit a shitload of human rights violations. Not to equate them, because Iran is still a lot more regressive than Saudi Arabia, but from a western perspective, they're both REALLY BAD.
Can they be fine to live in? I suppose, if you're somewhat well off and male. If you're not though? Good luck.

I for one respect the people that speak out against the cruelty, especially when they do it at risk of their own lives. Every revolution is paid for in blood, and they're doing their part. Each dead body a stepping stone for the next free thinker, until the day where they can finally be actually free.
I totally understand if your sense for self-preservation supersedes your desire to stand up for what's right, but standing up is not something to scoff at, in my estimation.
You're right. But it is what it is. If you want to be gay, then you either die in Saudi Arabian grounds by law, or immigrate to other Western countries.
On the other hand, it's not that hard to keep your dick in your pants till you finish education, and then travel off on your own to work at at liberty. Literally millions over millions of people here do that.

And oh please, the whole "oppression of women/men live better off" here is really fucking subjective. If you're a woman in Saudi, you literally don't have to do shit. You get everything you want, and people actually respect your chastity and place in society. What is taken from women in "freedom" is accounted for in lifestyle and lavishness. I am not justifying anything; I am simply stating an empirical fact that I saw for the whole of my 20 years of life.
Aug 19, 2019 2:39 PM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
aylarchan said:

When did I say I agree with them? Why are you insinuating that my passivity towards such systems means that I support it? I represent reality completely. i do not tread through imaginations where the Middle East is some democratic heaven, because it's not.
Whatever is done in other countries grounds is their business. If they cannot control their premises, then they deserve to be overthrown by Muslim extremists. Maybe they'll be more competent in governing.

The only thing I'm defending about KSA is the fact that Saudi is nowhere near North Korea in tyranny scale.

What they're doing is not wrong nor right. You know what's legal and illegal in said countries. If you do something illegal, then you get punished. Even for "free speech". You don't enter a lion's den expecting not to get torn to pieces, because "oh nyooooo, that's a human rights violation".

Islam demolished such laws 13 centuries before the Americans. No we're not, Sunni Islam is much more viable than Shia.

They can leave without consent after the age of 21. You keep bringing up oil money, as if you hailed from Zimbabwe or something? Shut the fuck up. You're the cunts who monopolized the whole oil business after the lifting of the oil ban and fucked the whole world.

A note of farewell: Advocate for fixing your shithole of a country before criticizing other ones.

Railey2 said:
are you serious?

You're right. But it is what it is. If you want to be gay, then you either die in Saudi Arabian grounds by law, or immigrate to other Western countries.
On the other hand, it's not that hard to keep your dick in your pants till you finish education, and then travel off on your own to work at at liberty. Literally millions over millions of people here do that.

And oh please, the whole "oppression of women/men live better off" here is really fucking subjective. If you're a woman in Saudi, you literally don't have to do shit. You get everything you want, and people actually respect your chastity and place in society. What is taken from women in "freedom" is accounted for in lifestyle and lavishness. I am not justifying anything; I am simply stating an empirical fact that I saw for the whole of my 20 years of life.
well. If you're one of the women who want to make that trade, the good for you. You're correct in that there are many women who enjoy being treated as second class citizens for their entire life, who willingly give up their rights and live at their mercy of their husbands, with all the comforts that a life like this might or might not provide. Good for them.
The problem is that there are many women who don't want to live like that, who want to be equal, but they don't get the choice.
Does that seem fair to you?

For someone who says that he doesn't want to justify it, you sure make a lot of excuses.
"It's all subjective"
"Yes they are oppressed but they get something for it that makes up for the oppression"
"If you're gay just keep your dick in your pants"
"You know some people enjoy being oppressed!"

I realize that you might face consequences yourself if you say too much one here. I really hope that this is the reason why you are so reluctant to, you know, actually condemn the inhumane treatment that lots of people in your country are subjected to on a daily basis.
Because what you're doing right now is not that, you're just trying to defend the status-quo.

It's not a good look :/
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 19, 2019 3:32 PM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
well. If you're one of the women who want to make that trade, the good for you. You're correct in that there are many women who enjoy being treated as second class citizens for their entire life, who willingly give up their rights and live at their mercy of their husbands, with all the comforts that a life like this might or might not provide. Good for them.
The problem is that there are many women who don't want to live like that, who want to be equal, but they don't get the choice.
Does that seem fair to you?

For someone who says that he doesn't want to justify it, you sure make a lot of excuses.
"It's all subjective"
"Yes they are oppressed but they get something for it that makes up for the oppression"
"If you're gay just keep your dick in your pants"
"You know some people enjoy being oppressed!"

I realize that you might face consequences yourself if you say too much one here. I really hope that this is the reason why you are so reluctant to, you know, actually condemn the inhumane treatment that lots of people in your country are subjected to on a daily basis.
Because what you're doing right now is not that, you're just trying to defend the status-quo.

It's not a good look :/

The issue at hand is not the notion of fairness nor anything remotely similar. You see, the only problem here is that people have no problems with the system. If you grow up in such an environment, the practices and nature of it doesn't seem very bizarre, as opposed to a foreign spectator.

I need not list all the factors or facts about the oppression of women in Arabia because that's memorized by every person and their mother who has these types of debates, or has basic world knowledge. I stated empirical claims that are based of off my observation of my surroundings, something an outsider might not know. If you interpret them as excuses for my passivity towards the system, then by all means.

But really, it is not that bad of a look imo. In Arabia, I'd be average joe 101. In the USA, I'd be exercising my freedom of speech 101. I don't think there is a despotic feminist autocracy any where in the world, so there's that.

So yes, in the end, all problems have solutions, but they're solutions that do not comfort every human being alive. There's nothing to do about it; move on.
Aug 23, 2019 9:39 PM

Nov 2017
Some people just don't understand unless it happened to their loved ones. As someone who had a family member murdered, that motherfcker needs to pay for his crimes and not get away with it living comfortably in prison..
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.