Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2019 4:48 PM

Oct 2018
Seeing that next week is the Gamescom in Cologne, Germany (and I am planning to go) I wanted to ask around. Who has already been to a gaming convention? Do you think it's a cool thing or are there too much people and you maybe prefer to follow the event on the internet? What is your most memorable memory from a gaming convention?
Aug 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Jul 2009
I'm going to PAX this October with several buddies of mine here in Melbourne, Australia. Before that, the only gaming convention I've been to was a much smaller one for online games, which was in my home country. I thought it was really exciting overall! A lot of activities that visitors can participate in, plus you get to meet new people and exchange your gaming IDs with them. Best experience was winning a raffle and receiving in-game exclusive items for one of the games I used to be crazy about lol.
Aug 16, 2019 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
I went once to a gaming convention back in 2013 and didn't stay long. Probably only three hours. I don't care too much about modern gaming anyway, so I have no reason to go to another one. Plus, it's way too crowded and I don't enjoy crowded places.

If there were retro gaming related events, I'd probably go check them out but as of right now, that's not a possibility.
Aug 17, 2019 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
I've been to Insomnia Gaming Festival here in the UK and few times and really enjoyed it!

Depends on what they have there really, like this one had a retro games section where I could play a bunch of old classics on old machines and some Japanese arcade games. But I also loved playing all these new games at the other stands:D

It wasn't too crowded but I felt bad since I went in cosplay as Ahri from League of Legends and kept hitting people with my giant tails ;-;
Aug 17, 2019 5:40 AM

Nov 2011
I've been to Insomnia in the UK once a few years ago, it was fun.

Not been since but I probably should go again. The retro game section was the best as well as seeing which new indie titles were coming out. I was not much interested in the AAA games that were there to be honest.
Aug 17, 2019 5:52 AM

Jan 2018
I don't have a gaming convention in my country there, but i kinda wish i'd traveled to E3 there, since E3 hosts a number of new announcement of the video games there.

I am from Serbia, and traveling to US is still far and far away from me to go there.
Aug 17, 2019 5:54 AM
Mar 2011
yes I go to TGS every year
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 17, 2019 6:09 AM

May 2018
I went to Gamescom three years in a row some years ago. Needless to say it was fun somewhat as I went there multiple times.
But overall it's not much my cup of tea, especially nowadays. Too big of a crowd and the waiting times to try one game out is just overkill.
Aug 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Oct 2018
So Gamescom has begun and my turn to go is tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. Yu Suzuki, the creator of Shenmue will be there to sign copies of Shenmue games and that makes me really excited being it's my favorite game of all time. Also I just love to be surrounded by people with the same mindset like me, and maybe I'll do a photo with one cosplayer or two. I'm going alone (as pretty much every time) but I'm fine with that, I can do and see what I want at my own pace so that's all right.

Naanchos said:
I went once to a gaming convention back in 2013 and didn't stay long. Probably only three hours. I don't care too much about modern gaming anyway, so I have no reason to go to another one. Plus, it's way too crowded and I don't enjoy crowded places.

If there were retro gaming related events, I'd probably go check them out but as of right now, that's not a possibility.

I don't know about other gaming conventions, but on the Gamescom you have one hall that is almost entirely dedicated to retro gaming.

ArrRti said:
I went to Gamescom three years in a row some years ago. Needless to say it was fun somewhat as I went there multiple times.
But overall it's not much my cup of tea, especially nowadays. Too big of a crowd and the waiting times to try one game out is just overkill.

The waiting times are crazy, I tend to wait until the end of the day to try something out as you wait like 5 minutes for most games. I remember one year, it was so full of people that it was even hard to move between them.
goatheadAug 21, 2019 1:28 AM
Aug 21, 2019 1:30 AM

Apr 2013
I visited GamesCom a few times in the past myself, yeah. It always has a nice atmosphere and it's fun, but I'm not as much into gaming anymore as I was years ago.
Aug 21, 2019 4:00 AM

May 2016
Visited ACG twice, though mainly it was an anime convention, video games were displayed prominently and were even more popular than the anime stands. We could try out or even preview games before they are released (tried Borderlands 3 and Code; Vein)
Aug 21, 2019 6:33 AM

Dec 2014
I've been to the Game Developer's Conference in 2018 but that's more for game development rather than actually playing games but it was really cool.

I plan to goto E3 next year since it's probably gonna be a big E3 with the reveal of the next gen consoles.
Aug 21, 2019 6:35 AM

Jun 2014
No, because they don't exist where I live.

There's no such thing as "conventions" in my local area.

Aug 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Oct 2017
They're too expensive to go to and it's too much anxiety to hold considering how crowded many are.
I wouldn't really want to go to one alone, but I also would want to wait a while until I get a suitable household to go to conventions and such.
Aug 21, 2019 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
goathead said:
I don't know about other gaming conventions, but on the Gamescom you have one hall that is almost entirely dedicated to retro gaming.

If such an event takes place in my country in the future, I'll make sure to attend.
Aug 21, 2019 12:26 PM

Aug 2012
I went to an anime convention that was also a gaming convention. If I played PC, I would've kicked their ass on Overwatch and gone pro.

It was a scuffed ass convention, no hot weeb girls, no action, nothing. Although there was a guy wearing a Prince Aladeen cosplay and kept showing off his pubes to kids. That was hilarious.
Aug 21, 2019 12:32 PM

Oct 2018
Bunille said:
They're too expensive to go to and it's too much anxiety to hold considering how crowded many are.

Expensive? I don't know about your place but the Gamescom being the biggest convention of this kind is not so expensive with 16€ a day :o
About anxiety, I get your point. But I somehow like it. Makes me invisible.
Aug 21, 2019 12:38 PM

Oct 2017
goathead said:
Bunille said:

Expensive? I don't know about your place but the Gamescom being the biggest convention of this kind is not so expensive with 16€ a day :o

I meant by how expensive the travel and all of the merchandise there is.
Aug 21, 2019 1:18 PM

Dec 2017
I went to PAX West in 2017. Actually spent less time in the expo hall and more time checking out panels hosted by devs/VAs/etc. It's really worth it to talk to indie devs if you're interested in game dev yourself and/or want to join the game industry.

Lots of cool games on demo too. I demoed Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo Switch/3DS games and got pins. Capped lines suck though. (I think there was a 4-hour queue for Skyrim VR lmao).

But yeah I really enjoyed the panels. The Witcher 10th Anniversary panel was AWESOME and really well planned.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Aug 22, 2019 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
No, and there is no point of going to one. If they were (e.g.) give away free demos of their games then that would be "somewhat" reasonable to go there..otherwise, those are pointless events with nothing for one at the end. Also, reveal game trailers can be watch online anyway.
And I personally don't enjoy new games at all these days anyway.
Aug 22, 2019 9:06 AM

Jan 2016
Never attended a gaming convention per se, unless Assembly counts as one.

I'd like to attend a proper one, though.
Aug 23, 2019 11:16 AM

Oct 2018
Bunille said:
goathead said:

I meant by how expensive the travel and all of the merchandise there is.

Well yeah sure, travel depends on how far you live from a convention. For the gamescom I had a 3 hour drive so that's alright. Merchandise though is very expensive but they are rather secondary on gaming conventions.

BallistikJuice said:
No, and there is no point of going to one. If they were (e.g.) give away free demos of their games then that would be "somewhat" reasonable to go there..otherwise, those are pointless events with nothing for one at the end. Also, reveal game trailers can be watch online anyway.
And I personally don't enjoy new games at all these days anyway.

You can for sure watch trailers at home, but playing the game before it comes out you technically can only on gaming conventions (if you don't work for a magzine or at the studio of course). And they maybe don't give you access to an "exclusive demo" (playing the game at the convention is practically that anyways) you get often free merch like t-shirts, keychains or exclusive in-game items. And after all it's also an experience. As I mentioned already I met Yu Suzuki, the creator of my favorite video game, yesterday at Gamescom, and this is something I won't soon forget.
Aug 23, 2019 6:13 PM

Aug 2009
No, but a gaming convention sounds significantly more interesting than an anime convention, provided that I run into some fellow PCMR folks.

Aug 24, 2019 9:23 AM

Aug 2018
I went to a convention here in the UK before and it was quite interesting. There were a lot of children though, probably because there were 2 sections dedicated to both Minecraft and Fortnite which i stayed well away from haha. On the positive side though, tons of demos including VR tryouts, and there was even a stall showcasing controllers made for children with disabilities which was super interesting!

Most conventions you're able to check out their websites and see what will be there, and if that doesn't work even just searching up footage on youtube from previous years can help give an idea :D
Aug 24, 2019 9:58 AM

Aug 2012
Only when they have actually good games to try out.
Aug 25, 2019 12:18 PM

Dec 2015
These past couple of years I have been traveling to fighting game conventions / tournaments / locals.
I have to say, I feel like major tournaments and conventions are not worth the hassle, it's much more enjoyable to attend small local events on a more regular basis and get to know the players from your city, rather than travel somewhere where you greet dozens of people but really don't interact with them further.

Club for Fighting Game lovers : https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77600
Aug 26, 2019 5:29 AM

Jun 2017
I went to Gamescom a few times in life.
First time there was i guess in 2012. It was still awesome then.

Now unfortunately there are way to many people to actually be able to walk around without bumping into someone..
A few years back it wasn't really that bad.
But still, if you look at all the Exhibitions and events it's a pretty awesome convention.

It's really huge and they have so many awesome stores to buy gaming/anime/manga and comic props but well.. as i said, it's a bit sad that there are way to many people at the convention.
I mean at Gamescom it's not even unlikely to have to wait in a waiting line for 2hours to test a new game for 15 minutes..
"Human relationships are chemical reactions.
If you have a reaction then you can never return back to your previous state of being."
Aug 30, 2019 8:20 AM
Feb 2014
Yep, I'm going to PAX West today.
Sep 4, 2019 11:40 PM

Oct 2016
I always go to conventions, finances permitting, whether they're for gaming, anime, comics, music, etc. The crowd doesn't make me anxious like typical crowds do, because there isn't a hostile vibe, and random people will approach you sometimes (especially if you're a cosplayer or wearing clothes for a certain game) and want to talk about it, so it's like a massive meet-and-greet where you have the benefit of knowing that the hall is filled with people who are happy to pay money to be around gamers, at the very least. Then there's the fact that you get to play demos or betas of games that aren't released yet, and in some cases I've got to play games (especially indie games) with the developers standing right there watching me, and give feedback to them directly when I encountered bugs, and show them exactly how to reproduce it, so that's something you just can't do any other way. There's also sometimes exhibits that you won't see anywhere else, like small gallery-style displays of the game's artwork or storyboards or something so you get some insight into what went on before the finished product you eventually get to play. Yeah... I have to recommend just going to as many as you can. With friends if possible, but if not you'll still get something out of it if you go by yourself and just chat to randoms.
FelkyrSep 4, 2019 11:45 PM
Apr 20, 2021 10:15 PM
Dec 2017
no i personally prefer being by myself and just focus on my gaming backlog on my own. crowds are too noisy and annoying.

Apr 21, 2021 2:38 AM
May 2009
I did, they can be fun. You can sometimes get free shit, or win stuff.
Also its nice to be able to meet some like minded people.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
7 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.