Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Aug 16, 1:12 PM

1) Characters
2) Story
3) Animation
4) Voice Acting (Good characters can be worse with bad VAs)
5) Sound Direction/High quality OSTs

Aug 16, 1:13 PM

In my opinion what makes an Anime great isn't something trivial such as whether the story is good or if the company did the source material justice or not.

For me what makes an anime great is something quite simple. In the end it all comes down to if I found the anime enjoyable to watch. whether that be an action packed anime that had me on the edge of my seat for every fight scene or whether it's a mystery anime filled with clever twists and turns at every corner.

As for extra things that are good but not necessary for me to like the anime are probably the art style, for which my favorite studio is most definitely Kyoto Animation, and good character designs and personality.

Aug 16, 1:23 PM

Anime with action segments and fight scenes: Badass protagonists.

Harem anime: Good female characters that would make great waifu material and protagonist who ain't dense like Ichika Orimura or too shy to make move on girl like most of harem protagonists.

Slice of Life anime: Theme that involves things which can teach you life lessons and show you how it's can be like. For example,Usagi Drop teaches how taking care of kids can be like,K-On teaches how it's like to be a musician and how school life can be like,Non Non Biyori teaches about life in countryside and how life in countryside can be enjoyable.

Romance anime: Strength of couple's feelings,bonds,devotion,loyalty and affection,not how romance is 'written' or 'cheesy' or 'forced' and stupid stuff like that.

Music anime: Addicting,outstanding music with characters containing amazing features like Idolmaster and Love Live.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.

Aug 16, 1:33 PM
fanservice<3

Thanjh said:

Things that must be in a great anime:
Strong Story
Good Characters
Good Character and Plot development
Good Character interactions

Things I see as bonuses that aren’t required but good to have at least one of:
Good animation and/or art style
Good plot twists
Good world-building
Good power-system if there’s abilities in the show
Underlying message

i know some probably don't like when i say this but....

could this be any more...

clich'e/expected?

lol

i mean... you pretty much just said what probably 90% of AD is going to say

for me?

waifu/fanservice/fetish series

Aug 16, 2:08 PM
fanservice<3

Thanjh said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

could this be any more...

clich'e/expected?

lol

i mean... you pretty much just said what probably 90% of AD is going to say

for me?

waifu/fanservice/fetish series
Kind of a useless reply besides the last line but thanks I guess. It's expected cos it's for anime in general. There's other criteria for other genres (e.g slice of life, comedy, romance etc.)

well not only that but...

putting "good" in-front of a bunch of stuff is pretty vague...

wtf is "good" to you? lol

Aug 16, 2:10 PM

Originality and consistency.

--------------

Aug 16, 2:10 PM

Probably story/writing and if it has the ability to surprise me, all too often I've figured out the entire plot before I'm even into it.

Also the direction, like how the underlying story and characters are presented to the audience. Any director can make a flashy action if he has the right animation team but it takes a great director to make a story that can speak to the viewer.

Style over substance

Aug 16, 2:26 PM
fanservice<3

Thanjh said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

well not only that but...

putting "good" in-front of a bunch of stuff is pretty vague...

wtf is "good" to you? lol
So far you sound like the kind of MAL user I like the least so I'll just be ignoring you after this reply. I wasn't trying to explain what a good version of all the points meant. The point of the thread was to see what people like in anything they consider great. I wanted to see other people's opinions and if they want to say what makes a "good" version of one of points then they're free to do so.

i already pre-warned you when i said

but w/e, but if you I'm that then you can do w/e LMAO

Aug 16, 2:41 PM

has an emotional impact that makes you think of the series long after you've finished it

The way you make me feel inside my bones
I can't remember how it feels to be alone

Aug 16, 6:11 PM

"Great" is a high amount of enjoyment with a low amount of flaws.
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)

Aug 16, 6:25 PM
Innovative plot. No fillers. At least ONE GREAT character. Great sound or visuals are not requirements but if they are so good, they can compensate some flaws of the story and characters.

Aug 16, 7:01 PM

For me, for a work to be "great", it has to be move me.

It has to inspire strong emotions, such as making me feel great sympathy for the characters or great awe at the events, or it has to inspire intriguing thoughts, such as causing me to think about difficult questions.

There are no specific requirements that the work have any kind of story structure, or character development/interactions, worldbuilding, use or avoidance of tropes/clichés or (dis)similarity to other stories, art style, animation, music, or other such criteria. These things may help (or even detract), depending on how they are used -- they do not automatically imbue a story with greatness, which is a holistic view of the work rather than a part-by-part examination.

Sometimes, a seemingly incomplete story can be "great", because of the emotions or thoughts it conjures. And some stories I regard as favorites may have unrealistic but particularly and meaningfully iconic characters, in settings far removed from real life. But no matter how far from reality their specifics are, if the events that they portray can be seen in strong parallels to real life, they may have a very strong impact.

Based on these emotional/intellectual criteria, this means that comedies have a harder time than dramas achieving "greatness" in my opinion.
Modified by GlennMagusHarvey, Aug 16, 7:11 PM

Aug 16, 7:05 PM

I want to see it either do something different, or to do something generic but do it goddamn well.

Give me some kind of epic score, amazing animation, and some memorable characters. At the end of the day, doesn't matter if it's normally a genre I like or not, do those three well and I'm gonna enjoy the shit out of it

Aug 16, 7:30 PM

Characters and themes are the most important elements

<--me rn

We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same

Aug 16, 7:45 PM

I've always considered characters crucial, but I swear more and more I'm starting to consider them the absolute lynchpin upon which everything rests, because oftentimes a show has an incredible concept for a plot, but in this oh-so interesting tale the MC feels like a passive observer to their own show and little more than a bland and blank weak cypher for the audience. I've noticed this more and more and it's hurting my ability to enjoy some shows to the fullest. Like, I still may find the concept thrilling, which is why I started watching in the first place, but I feel like I can get just as much enjoyment reading a book or any sterile text on what it covers because the lack of strong characterization results in a total failure to engage emotionally in the work.

This has made me knock some shows that could have been 10s to 9s or 8s, shows that could have been 9s to 8s or 7s, and so on.

There is a ton more that is important, such as the show forging some kind of distinct identity for itself and creating a show universe that doesn't feel like too much of a carbon copy or blend of other anime in look and feel from setting and character and sound design, but out of anything, not having another impotent and passive MC (like the prototypical quiet beta student or "salaryman" type) who's little more than an observer to their own story seems key.

Also, on characters, I have a strong preference for shows with a tight-knit cast of 2-4 main main characters and no more, rather than an ensemble cast. It makes it feel so much more intimate, like you're actually invited along on a journey with people you know or want to know rather than people watching a crowd at a train station.

Bonus if it actually has something novel and interesting to say about the world we live in that is a critique of conventional assumptions/thinking about any given topic.

There's a lot of ingredients to an epic story, but remove the character anchor and I'd rather just consume whatever it's trying to say in a documentary or non-fiction book.
Modified by WatchTillTandava, Aug 16, 7:51 PM

Aug 16, 7:47 PM

What I consider important:
-Good story development
-Good characters, meaning characters that feel realistic, characters that go through a change and have learnt something from their experiencie. Said change could be an evolution or a regression (I include good interactions in this aspect)
-A message. Could be implicit or explicit. Bonus points for implicit messages, since they don't come across as a sermon.

What I don't consider as important as the points I mentioned before
-Artstyle
-Plot twists/unpredictabilitty

Aug 16, 7:51 PM

good boobs and good tiddies, also cute trap

Aug 16, 8:11 PM

[EDIT: I misread title as "What makes anime great" rather than "What makes an anime...", so below is a post with me talking about why anime is great in general.]

I was a big western movie buff before I got in to anime. What really made me fall in love with anime was a combination of two major factors which overlap somewhat and several smaller factors:

1. While not a lack of pretention, a massively reduced level of it. Anime feels like a much more free-thinking medium that isn't shackled by restrictive western sensibilities. People who read the forum regularly and know me might think I'm just referring to the sexual content, but it's really so much more than that. In western media, something like Evangelion would never get made. It is on the one hand a cartoon about giant sci-fi robots manned by high school teenagers fighting invading aliens, and on the other hand it likes to slow down with lengthy, moody, introspective, deep character work, exploring themes of depression and loneliness. Western sensibilites are simply too judgmental and cynical and have this annoying concept of "childishness" which is applied to anything that strays too far from pre-established norms of storytelling.

2. Content tailored for otaku. I use the word otaku rather than nerds because it better describes the group I'm talking about. Nerd has come to be very mainstream and normie in the west. But even in Japan, an otaku is someone very much outside of society, plus all the other traits such as introversion, social awkwardness, single, very "hobby-focused"... also generally male, though... well, that's complicated topic but I think suffice to say content with cute sexy girls in isn't necessarily unwatchable for girls. In fact, girls not just in Japan but across the world love anime for it's cute sexy girls too though obviously not in quite the same way as guys. I think it's similar to how some guys like big muscley manly main characters because they admire that ideal of masculinity, and some girls admire cute feminine anime girls for the same sort of idealised depiction. Either way, it's refreshing compared to western media which tends to think anything that appeals to the straight male sex drive is evil and sinful and "not real art". Anime on the other hand has no such biases and loads of creatively rich and deep content is made where the cute sexy girls are there too, like an asthetic.

3. Lastly, lots of little things. I love the sound of Japanese as a language. I love the general Japanese philosophy towards life. I love the anime art style with the beautiful big eyes (the window to the soul!).
Modified by YossaRedMage, Aug 16, 8:24 PM
Lastest Blog Post: Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Watching: Araburu
Reading: Axanael (VN)
Weeklies: Choyoyu, Saikoro Club, Gekihatsu Boy, Cautious Hero, Rifle is Beautiful, Honzuki, Noukin
Recently Finished: HenSuki (3), Takagi-san 2 (7), Machikado Mazoku (5), Stargazer (VN)(8), Kanata no Astra (7), High Score Girl: Extra Stage (8), UchiMusume (6), Granbelm (9)

Girl: Anna Fugo (Granbelm)

Aug 16, 8:14 PM
Strong Story
Good Characters
Good Character and Plot development
Good Character interactions
Good animation and/or art style
Huge amount of ecchi fanservce

Edocchi said:
good boobs and good tiddies

Ahh I see your a man of culture
Modified by Nerdanimefan1992, Aug 16, 8:23 PM

Aug 16, 8:22 PM
A number of factors, but I tend to judge an anime how I judge any form of entertainment that I watch, including western TV shows and movies.

A unique and intriguing story with an interesting world and lore that develops as it progresses.

Some great characters with developed backstories and motivations which make them morally grey. It results in them making questionable but understandable decisions. Righteous or pure characters, or ones that are evil for the sake of being evil are dull and uninteresting. No Mary Sue's or Gary Stu's.

Great Visuals and an OST certainly help build emotion and tension for the scenes that require it.

VA's are also important in helping to convey emotion.

Aug 16, 9:44 PM
-Aincrad- said:
Good soundtrack is the most important thing for me.

If an anime has some outstanding OST, and they actually use them well, I tend to ignore the mistakes of the anime, and rate it high.

Then, I recommend you Cowboy Bebop. Every OST in that anime is just amazing.

Aug 16, 10:35 PM

A lot of things are important to an anime but mostly I'd say:

-Character Development
-Story

You just can't depend on animation in the end, character development and story are the two most important aspects of an anime and they are what makes an anime truly great and worth watching in the end
Modified by Ethylli, Aug 16, 10:39 PM
no description boi

Aug 16, 10:45 PM

silent_knight98 said:
KIMG said:
>Like the r@pe scene in Kakumeiki Valvrave

Jesus Christ! The first show was in my PTW list. Thanks for telling this. I removed it immediately XD. And i dont like mecha genre that much, so its no loss ✌️

Meh, probably for the best, but not because of the rape scene. It’s just a mediocre mecha anime that doesn’t do anything groundbreaking. It’s seriously one of those anime I forgot I even watched until I see discussions like these and think “oh yeah, I guess that anime was famous for one really controversial thing and absolutely nothing else. I seriously can’t remember anything else that happened in that anime and I know for a fact that I watched both seasons.”

Aug 17, 1:54 AM

Toucanbird said:

Meh, probably for the best, but not because of the rape scene. It’s just a mediocre mecha anime that doesn’t do anything groundbreaking. It’s seriously one of those anime I forgot I even watched until I see discussions like these and think “oh yeah, I guess that anime was famous for one really controversial thing and absolutely nothing else. I seriously can’t remember anything else that happened in that anime and I know for a fact that I watched both seasons.”
I dont know why i put it in my list in the first place. Not really a fan of this genre tbh. And the ones which i actually enjoyed didnt even lay that much emphasis on mechas (Code Geass, Evangelion etc.)

Aug 17, 5:37 AM

A more relatable antagonist and I think Dante is the best, most original antagonist that FMA ever had. Dante is so complex, you can't even describe her in like one sentence. She even has better theme music than Brotherhood's forgettable villain. That evil biatch is one of the reasons why the 2003 FMA was a semi-original or semi-derivative series, part adaptation-part original. Whatever it was, it was better and greater than filler like most of the episodes of Naruto or most long-running anime, which are indeed trash. Critics once expected the 2003 series to have a bunch of basic shounen plot thrown in the mix.

Even the FMA video games each had more relatable villains than Father. I give FMA: Brotherhood a 7.9/10 for having a boring, forgettable, derivative, shallow and unrelatable central villain. A generic "I'm going to rule the world" type villain you guys see in a plethora of anime. When Dante had a deeper goddess complex.

What makes an anime great is having very original writing or characters and not a bunch of tiresome, derivative kid-friendly crap shoved into plot.
Modified by Kurt_Irving, Aug 17, 5:52 AM

Aug 17, 5:54 AM

Story and writing and originality. I dont want to watch 2 episoden then be able to more oe less predict the whole plot rest of the show.....

And if it's an adaption, give me a conclusion of the story. Hate to watch something without a ending (like most are).

Aug 17, 4:38 PM

The characters, if the characters aren't compelling or likeable then even the greatest story would never save an anime.

Also big fucking anime tiddies

Aug 17, 10:45 PM
one of the most important things to me are the characters. if there aren’t any characters i’m invested in, my interest in the show drops immensely.

and i know i shouldn’t, but i also put a lot of emphasis on the art/animation. if it looks shitty, it’s difficult for me to get through it. i do enjoy anime with more creative art/animation, like devilman or mob psycho

Aug 17, 10:50 PM

Tight writing is the most important element--your narrative ain't shit if the characters, setting, and story aren't interesting or appealing in some way. After that, making sure the visual and aural presentation are a.) solid in their own right, and b.) match the narrative being told are absolutely essential. And finally, some spice to make this title unique among its peers.

...But of course, this is all common-sense stuff. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

This glorious signature made by @Mayumi leads to my
superior reviews! Most Recent: Mirai of the Future!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Isekai peaked in the 90s. The genre has sucked ever since.
There is nothing wrong with liking shounen action anime.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG."

Aug 17, 11:02 PM

Ethylli said:
A lot of things are important to an anime but mostly I'd say:

-Character Development
-Story

You just can't depend on animation in the end, character development and story are the two most important aspects of an anime and they are what makes an anime truly great and worth watching in the end

Basically my thoughts on what makes anime great.
Story comes first, animation comes second.
Someone has to do it. Not a hero, not a God. Just someone

Aug 18, 3:33 AM

Mainly Story, Characters, and Animations... I sometimes consider the Opening/Ending used aswell but sometimes good Opening/Ending doesn't guarantee the Anime as a whole lately.

Aug 18, 4:00 AM

If it made me feel strong emotions. F.ex Gurren Lagann made me feel inspired. The story, characters all that is important too, don't get me wrong but strong emotions are important for it to be considered a really great show.

Aug 18, 9:12 AM

How about creating something that can only uniquely exist in the anime format? Whether that means establishing a unique sci-fi or fantasy setting, having wild character designs/personalities, or creating a specific mood through the art/sound that can't easily be done other mediums.

I don't watch anime to see a boring school drama, I watch anime to see giant mechs tearing each other apart.

Aug 18, 10:25 AM

Love triangles, narratives I haven't seen before, high budgets.

Aug 18, 1:58 PM

GlennMagusHarvey said:
For me, for a work to be "great", it has to be move me.

It has to inspire strong emotions, such as making me feel great sympathy for the characters or great awe at the events, or it has to inspire intriguing thoughts, such as causing me to think about difficult questions.

There are no specific requirements that the work have any kind of story structure, or character development/interactions, worldbuilding, use or avoidance of tropes/clichés or (dis)similarity to other stories, art style, animation, music, or other such criteria. These things may help (or even detract), depending on how they are used -- they do not automatically imbue a story with greatness, which is a holistic view of the work rather than a part-by-part examination.

Sometimes, a seemingly incomplete story can be "great", because of the emotions or thoughts it conjures. And some stories I regard as favorites may have unrealistic but particularly and meaningfully iconic characters, in settings far removed from real life. But no matter how far from reality their specifics are, if the events that they portray can be seen in strong parallels to real life, they may have a very strong impact.

Based on these emotional/intellectual criteria, this means that comedies have a harder time than dramas achieving "greatness" in my opinion.

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I wrote very similarly to this, but you explained it much better then I did.

Aug 18, 3:07 PM

1)Characters I think, if an anime has a lot of bad characters, it's not a good anime. Characters have to be well written and appealing I guess, if they are not, they're not good characters. They need a reason for why they are like they are. In "Characters", I also mean Character interactions and development.

2)Plot. The plot has to be good, that's basic, if it is bad, the anime is bad, that's about it. If the plot is good, it keeps us watching the show, and that's the one of the most important thing in an anime. Also, if there is plot-holes, it's annoying.

3)A good end. If the end of the show is bad, it's really underwhelming, like in Evangelion, the end of the show (not The End of Evangelion) was really something, it wasn't bad, but it was wayyyyyyy to weird, it didn't end the story and it shouldn't have been there in the first place. A bad ending doesn't make an anime bad, it's just upsetting and underwhelming.

important points not in Top3

Scenario, if the scenario is bad, the show might be really bad, everyone knows what I mean.

Originality, it has to be something that changes, otherwise, it's like watching the same thing over and over

World building, what happened in this world (if it's like a fantasy or sci-fi show, you know what I mean so whatever), why is it like this, it has to be explained and the explanation should be at least decent

Power explanation, it does not have to be well-explained, like at least a simple thing like the power that god lents us or whatever, it just shouldn't be some bullshit like I'm doing magic 'cause why not.

I don't really include comedy anime, those just need to have good characters (we don't care about development there) and to be funny.
Hi...

Pages (2) « 1 [2]