Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2019 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
So i watched the first season with no knowledge of the source material. Enjoyed it, wanted to join a facebook group about the show and uhhh, saw a drawing of both main characters kissing.

Did a little research, and in fact, it looks like both characters have that kind of love for each other.

I have nothing against homosexuality, but I'm kind of not sure of what I'm watching now. Let me explain.

First season felt way more about the clans than about their relationship.

Wei keeps pushing Lan to live his life, that's how it felt to me, and that's why I enjoyed it.

If they introduced romance earlier I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I feel the show isn't about that. At all.

Does the source material focus more on their relationship ? Should I expect a weird turn in season 2 ?

Aug 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Jan 2017
The source does have romance between the two main characters, which is there basically during the whole novel, but current laws in China ban homosexual relationships to be present in their media, so thanks to that the romantic plot had to be erased, and the most that will appear in the donghua are implications.
Aug 15, 2019 1:57 PM

Dec 2016
You are right with all you mentioned and that's pretty much how it should be for s1 (and first part of the novel). The main focus is plot, not the relationship but the relationship part grows as the plot goes on...

The novel has a slow burn romance
. The donghua team removed a few of the things that would build and hint at their (future) romantic relationship. And since China has strict laws regarding LGBT content, donghua will probably leave their relationship open to the viewer (which would please both fans and watchers) or make them bros or maybe soulmates.

Also season 2 has a lot of new and altered content, so we can't be 100% what's next ether. I'm 80% certain LWJ is in love with him in the animation, but I could be wrong. This season and the next should have them build more on their relationship. Just remember that Wei WuXian thinks that Lan Wangji hates him.

If you decide to read the novel, there is minimal actual gayness. One kiss that was made by a strong 'lady' and at the very end the actual 'things' happen, which are easy to skip and warnings are put on the translation group. It's not hard to remove those bits and still make the story excellent (like the live action did). The novel is full of actual plot, mysteries, world building, character building. Donghua didn't include some very nice bits, like the efforts Wen siblings made for Jiang Chen and Wei Ying or the more satisfying death of Wen Chao and his hoe....

MDZS isn't like yaoi and shounen ai genres which the sole purpose is the relationship. This is heavy in plot. If you started reading it without me telling you that it's BL, I think you would go far thinking it has none of it.

If they do keep their relationship. Don't expect anything extreme. But I very much doubt it, this isn't an anime from Japan who are more free. MDZS's live action series is still considered great and the two mains don't become a thing (they just consider themselves soulmates I think?).

Aug 15, 2019 7:58 PM
Apr 2018
sinkershel said:
So i watched the first season with no knowledge of the source material. Enjoyed it, wanted to join a facebook group about the show and uhhh, saw a drawing of both main characters kissing.

Did a little research, and in fact, it looks like both characters have that kind of love for each other.

I have nothing against homosexuality, but I'm kind of not sure of what I'm watching now. Let me explain.

Wei keeps pushing Lan to live his life, that's how it felt to me, and that's why I enjoyed it.

If they introduced romance earlier I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I feel the show isn't about that. At all.

Does the source material focus more on their relationship ? Should I expect a weird turn in season 2 ?

In the book it's mostly mutual flirtation until the confession which is almost at the end. The slow building romance is constantly present throughout the *present* timeline, but it's not brought to the surface until the end. The plot does not rely on the romance. Due to Chinese censorship laws they won't explicitly show the romance.

IdknymkreAug 15, 2019 8:29 PM
Aug 16, 2019 8:29 AM
Dec 2018
The romance represent pretty much 1% of the plot , you can read it and watch it without knowing it's BL and you'd never notice unless you read the extra chapters , besides that , there really isn't anything romantic like Japanese Yaoi , *SPOILER ALERT*
yes the main characters will end up together but that's at the literal end , the last 2 chapters of the novel
Aug 16, 2019 9:42 AM
Apr 2018
Mirai_sama_ said:
The romance represent pretty much 1% of the plot , you can read it and watch it without knowing it's BL and you'd never notice unless you read the extra chapters , besides that , there really isn't anything romantic like Japanese Yaoi , *SPOILER ALERT*
yes the main characters will end up together but that's at the literal end , the last 2 chapters of the novel

Eeee I dunno about 1% lol because everything's pretty fluffy and flirty throughout and also LWJ's entire background&storyline since the Xuanwu incident has been about being in love with WWX. No way you could read the book and not get mad romantic vibes. BUT your right it isn't really huge on the actual plot, it's more like a glue that holds the plot together lol
Aug 16, 2019 12:08 PM

Aug 2012
thanks for your answers everyone.

I'm still on the fence about it tho.

I knew about the ending, saw spoilers the second I joined a facebook group...and well...that's what I have trouble getting my head around. I don't want the ending to revolve around romance when the show had none.

I was 99 % sure it was fan-fiction when I saw the spoilers at first.

And again, nothing against homosexuality. it just feels weird when the first season didn't give any hints, didn't focus on love relationships. Sure, the usual bromance between 2 main characters, and Wei looks super "free", but...idk, it's weird.

It's weird they adapt it and not embrace the whole thing also. I thought China calmed down with the homosexuality laws when I saw the ending but it looks like writing it and adapting it is two different things.
Aug 16, 2019 12:27 PM
Feb 2012
sinkershel said:

I knew about the ending, saw spoilers the second I joined a facebook group...and well...that's what I have trouble getting my head around. I don't want the ending to revolve around romance when the show had none.

And again, nothing against homosexuality. it just feels weird when the first season didn't give any hints, didn't focus on love relationships. Sure, the usual bromance between 2 main characters, and Wei looks super "free", but...idk, it's weird.

It's weird they adapt it and not embrace the whole thing also. I thought China calmed down with the homosexuality laws when I saw the ending but it looks like writing it and adapting it is two different things.

if such a dumb pre concieved notion about this relationship's weirdness still gets in the way despite what people have told you already then don't watch it
even if then show something or they don't because of it being censored the progression still makes sense it's your own fault you keep thinking it's weird
you repeated that word 4 times already
Aug 16, 2019 12:40 PM
Apr 2018
ahneeme said:
sinkershel said:

if such a dumb pre concieved notion about this relationship's weirdness still gets in the way despite what people have told you already then don't watch it
even if then show something or they don't because of it being censored the progression still makes sense it's your own fault you keep thinking it's weird
you repeated that word 4 times already

I agree that I wouldn't recommend this show if the fact that it's based on a romance is weird to you.

I mean, the plot of the present timeline is a mystery. What's the deal with the demonic arm? Where'd it come from and why did it show up when it did? That's what the ending/conclusion will revolve around, uncovering the mastermind behind the cultivation world's current biggest mystery. Parallel to this plot, in the book they also confess their feelings at the end. They won't show that in the donghua but will likely imply that they hecka care about each other. I think this show can still be really enjoyable if you choose to ignore the romantic angle, but if it's ruining the show for you, idk just drop it? The romantic angle was a big draw for a lot (/all?) of us novel readers.
Aug 16, 2019 2:24 PM

Dec 2016
No one can force you to watch it if you don't want to. But you would be missing out on a lot of good sidestories and plot. While the censorship removed some more obvious hints, there are plenty still there (mainly from LWJ) in s1 if you know where to look.

The spoiler bit is more your fault, never join a club or group before finishing the whole thing (I got burned for SnK, bad). I hope you didn't see the mastermind.

China has taken the authors novel down once (maybe more idk), so you can guess based on that that they are biting even the paper. Imagine the stuff that goes on the screens.... Somehow the audio drama to stayed amazingly true to the source, it makes me sad that donghua will never get such freedom
Aug 26, 2019 11:29 PM
May 2018
I would rate it 10/10 if they would animate a little of the gay stuff. If this season ended with a kiss my heart would literally explode as I smash the 10/10 button. Censorship is lame. Mo dao zu shi is really beautifully animated and the character designs are really nice, but. That one element of the story is cut out, when its something that makes the story more emotionally complex. I love monster slaying and warring sect drama as much as anybody. But some of it just does not make sense without the context of their relationship.

So yeah if you read the BL/shonen-ai tags and expect to see a gay romance, you wont, you really have to read between the lines, and that is really hard to do without the context of the novel and/or comic. just like how anime is made to sell manga, the show exists to sell copies of the novel, audio drama, ect. Luckily the whole story remains in those as the author intended.
Aug 27, 2019 6:12 AM
Nov 2016
sinkershel said:

I mean did you listen to the ending song? it pretty clear someone is dying of love to our main idiot but that has much it go on romance in this donghua. there is no focues on the romance in the animetion and it burly there, and there won't be romance in the future.

why, Censorship is a thing that exist in china. so if you afraid of "romance" you won't find it in this donghua. you will find friendship, deep one but no romance.
so you don't need to worry about that at all.

and I will recommend this anime to anyone, even those who don't like "gay" stuff. cause again the romance in very hard to see and very easy to miss, it almost none axisted with how much they remove from the novel.

so you free to choose to read the original story with the romance, that by the way is AMAZING!! or to watch the anime(donghua) WITHOUT any romance with the main character's. both of them are great and amazing on their own from plot point.
Ko-meAug 27, 2019 6:17 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2019

24 by KuroKen15 »»
Feb 15, 12:05 PM

» Are you confused?

Idknymkre - Aug 7, 2019

14 by serina7 »»
Feb 7, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 3, 2019

28 by samyllazevedo »»
Oct 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 23, 2019

51 by iamnameers »»
Feb 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 31, 2019

50 by diorcula »»
Jan 31, 2023 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.