Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2019 4:14 AM

Oct 2018
This question has been bothering me ever since Tanjirou has learned how to use the water breathing technique.

Can others actually see the water/water dragon whenever he uses it, or is it more like for us, viewers only so the fights look better?
Same goes for the fire dragon and the fire sword. Was that actually visible for Rui, in episode 19 or from his point of view Tanjirou was just swinging with a broken sword?
-Aincrad-Aug 15, 2019 5:55 AM
Aug 15, 2019 4:30 AM

Jan 2015
I've been wondering that myself too actually. I've had the feeling though that everyone can see it as there hasn't really been a reason to believe the contrary, but I could be wrong.

Aug 15, 2019 4:45 AM
Apr 2016
-Aincrad- said:
This question has been bothering me ever since Tanjirou has learned how to use the water breathing technique.

Can others actually see the water/water dragon whenever he uses it, or is it more like for us, viewers only so the fights look better?
Same goes for the fire dragon and the fire sword. Was that actually visible for Rui, in episode 19 or from his point of view Tanjirou was just swinging with a broken sword?

Of course it visible to him lol
Aug 15, 2019 5:25 AM

May 2015
-Aincrad- said:

it is just visual.
nanashi796Aug 15, 2019 5:33 AM
Aug 15, 2019 5:29 AM

Apr 2018
It's still vague, even as a manga reader i couldnt tell. But even if they can't see it i think they can still feel it, in episode 17 the spider boy said "The air is vibrating" when zenitsu uses his sixfold.
Aug 15, 2019 5:49 AM
Sep 2016
I believe its visible to others. Main reason is when zenitsu used his breathing form, Not only did tanjiro end up hearing it (so its not only visual) but he said something about the smell of the air changing, indicating that thunder had actually just struck. I dont think a visual alone nor a guy with a sword could have done that. Also tanjiro keeps using moves to break his falls. If it was a visual only for us and there was actually no water but just a dude using a sword to break his fall id think it pretty stupid.
"The universe has a beginning, but no end. — Infinite. Stars, too, have their own beginnings, but their own power results in their destruction. — Finite. It is those who possess wisdom who are the greatest fools. History has shown us this. You could say that this is the final warning from God to those who resist."
Aug 15, 2019 5:51 AM

Oct 2018
Jfs_ said:
It's still vague, even as a manga reader i couldnt tell. But even if they can't see it i think they can still feel it, in episode 17 the spider boy said "The air is vibrating" when zenitsu uses his sixfold.

When he used that, I believe that really was visible. I think that spider demon really saw all that lightning around Zenitsu.

I'm only unsure about Tanjirou's water breathing.
Aug 15, 2019 6:20 AM

May 2018
It's just a gimmick to make sword attacks less boring
Aug 15, 2019 9:20 AM

Oct 2018
Tranqualizer said:
Also tanjiro keeps using moves to break his falls. If it was a visual only for us and there was actually no water but just a dude using a sword to break his fall id think it pretty stupid.

Well that makes sense.
Aug 15, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2015
no they are just visuals there are other breath styles that doesn't have element.
they're human only demons have powers.
and i think that the visual are the true range of the attack, but they're not pulling out water or fire out of the katana.
nanashi796Aug 15, 2019 10:01 AM
Aug 15, 2019 10:41 PM

May 2015
Jazoraa said:
nanashi796 said:
no they are just visuals there are other breath styles that doesn't have element.
they're human only demons have powers.
and i think that the visual are the true range of the attack, but they're not pulling out water or fire out of the katana.

The episode in the hunted house with the changing rooms, did he somehow manage to balance himself using one of the 10 sword forms? I dont know if he used water or not, i just try to enjoy the show these days
in the hunting house he used the ninth style that is used in a disconnected ground to move easier without limits,minimizing the landing time,for when he breaks the fall i think that the vertical attack movement is too strong that the air displacement slow his fall,he use the 8 style and 2 style for this.
nanashi796Aug 16, 2019 5:41 AM
Aug 15, 2019 10:42 PM

Jan 2009
nope its not visible to others its just imagined lol
Aug 16, 2019 5:23 AM
Aug 2019
I think it just effect for sword technic
Aug 16, 2019 5:27 AM

Jan 2011
It's just a visual metaphor for their movement.
Aug 16, 2019 1:50 PM
Mar 2019
I believe its visible to others. Main reason is when zenitsu used his breathing form, Not only did tanjiro end up hearing it (so its not only visual) but he said something about the smell of the air changing, indicating that thunder had actually just struck. I dont think a visual alone nor a guy with a sword could have done that. Also tanjiro keeps using moves to break his falls. If it was a visual only for us and there was actually no water but just a dude using a sword to break his fall id think it pretty stupid.

Unfortunately no, they are not visible, they are just a metaphorical representation of how they use their fencing style, as a manga reader no demon has said anything about being able to see them, just feel them, so far (Spoiler) the Upper Moon 1 is the only one which can make your breathing techniques visible.

And if it's stupid for you, they haven't told you that breaths increase the user's physical performance to the point of being able to match the strength of demons (?), nothing more, nobody told you they had powers, right? Or did you get it that way?
DrakenKnightAug 16, 2019 2:04 PM
Aug 16, 2019 1:53 PM
Mar 2019
Tranqualizer said:
Also tanjiro keeps using moves to break his falls. If it was a visual only for us and there was actually no water but just a dude using a sword to break his fall id think it pretty stupid.

Well that makes sense.

Well, unfortunately that happened and not what you think.
Aug 16, 2019 1:55 PM
Mar 2019
It's just a gimmick to make sword attacks less boring

Exact and nothing more to add.
Oct 11, 2019 11:14 PM

May 2015
from extra chapter 151.5
Oct 13, 2019 2:28 AM

Jun 2017
nanashi796 said:
from extra chapter 151.5

Thanks. That answered the question perfectly.
Oct 13, 2019 2:43 AM

Nov 2011
It's funny because later in the manga, there are moments where those breathing elements are clearly doing damage and not just visual.

Oct 13, 2019 4:25 AM

Jul 2013
Next they're gonna tell me the mist from Muichiro's breathing technique is just a visual presentation or the rumbling noise Zenitsu's technique creates isn't real. Just retcon it Gotouge lol.
Oct 14, 2019 8:46 PM

May 2015
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
Next they're gonna tell me the mist from Muichiro's breathing technique is just a visual presentation or the rumbling noise Zenitsu's technique creates isn't real. Just retcon it Gotouge lol.
the mist is a metaphor of disorienting the enemy when muichiro use his 7th form and change the tempo of his movement therefore confusing the enemy.
nanashi796Oct 14, 2019 8:57 PM
Oct 15, 2019 2:54 AM

May 2015
It's clear their visual metaphors. My favorite example is Giyuu in episode 20. It's not like he literally pulls an entire field of water out of his ass to stop an attack...

Oct 15, 2019 6:04 AM
Jul 2019
I can't get my head to believe the lightning and thunder from Zenitsu movement, destroying the ground he was standing on and making Tanjiro believe he heard thunder are just visual effects and not something that actually happened. Even the demon said the air was vibrating.

So I tend to believe these effects are all real and actually happening. What's the problem in that ? I mean it's a supernatural anime about demons eating human. Everything is possible. Why wont the heroes have super powers too ?
Oct 15, 2019 10:20 AM

May 2015
el3mel said:
I can't get my head to believe the lightning and thunder from Zenitsu movement, destroying the ground he was standing on and making Tanjiro believe he heard thunder are just visual effects and not something that actually happened. Even the demon said the air was vibrating.

So I tend to believe these effects are all real and actually happening. What's the problem in that ? I mean it's a supernatural anime about demons eating human. Everything is possible. Why wont the heroes have super powers too ?

Then there'd be WAY more inconsistencies in the show than there already are. Demon slayers are superhuman, so maybe Zenitsu's leg movement causes the ground to fall apart or maybe it's just there from the perspective of the demon. The story makes a distinction between Demon Slayers with their "superhuman" esque feats and demons that actually do some wacky stuff...
EmblemzOct 15, 2019 10:25 AM

Oct 15, 2019 10:46 AM
Jul 2019
ImbalancedEmblem said:
el3mel said:

Then there'd be WAY more inconsistencies in the show than there already are. Demon slayers are superhuman, so maybe Zenitsu's leg movement causes the ground to fall apart or maybe it's just there from the perspective of the demon. The story makes a distinction between Demon Slayers with their "superhuman" esque feats and demons that actually do some wacky stuff...

How did the Demon imagine the ground getting destroyed ? Doesn't make sense eh ?

They don't need to be super humans but at the same I find it more believable from typical Shounen perspective than they have supernatural sword techniques than to believe all these are just visual imaginary effect.

One thing jumped to mind as well is how did Tanjiro managed to grab the arrows thrown at him from that arrow demon, twist them then direct all of them towards the demon if all these water effects are imaginary stuff ? What were the arrows hanging on ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdZktnlI3Zs

If the mangaka wanted them to be imaginary stuff then I think he fecked up with this or Zenitsu scene imo.
Oct 15, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2015
el3mel said:
ImbalancedEmblem said:

How did the Demon imagine the ground getting destroyed ? Doesn't make sense eh ?

They don't need to be super humans but at the same I find it more believable from typical Shounen perspective than they have supernatural sword techniques than to believe all these are just visual imaginary effect.

One thing jumped to mind as well is how did Tanjiro managed to grab the arrows thrown at him from that arrow demon, twist them then direct all of them towards the demon if all these water effects are imaginary stuff ? What were the arrows hanging on ?

If the mangaka wanted them to be imaginary stuff then I think he fecked up with this or Zenitsu scene imo.
in the anime zenitsu attack is exaggerated,every attack is exaggerated in the anime,he don't destroy the ground in the manga and he don't have lightning around him.

nanashi796Oct 15, 2019 5:39 PM
Oct 15, 2019 10:12 PM
Jul 2019
nanashi796 said:
el3mel said:

in the anime zenitsu attack is exaggerated,every attack is exaggerated in the anime,he don't destroy the ground in the manga and he don't have lightning around him.

Well that makes more sense. Thanks.
Oct 22, 2019 3:09 PM

Sep 2008
^ I don't think its "exagerated"more like drawing out the maximum potential impact the scene can have.
I accept it as i see it. If they can muster some super human strenght, endurance, speed and elemental powers by learning some mysterious breathing technique then why not have some real flashy visual manifestation to go along with the powers.
Anyway dont dig too deep into it it's just fiction. Demon powers do not exist here same for these "breath powers/techniques".
But that's all possible in the Demon Slayer universe.| '_' )b
~_~ !
Oct 22, 2019 7:34 PM
Aug 2019
The answer is they are visible.. reference from chapter 151.5 extras..it clearly explain it visible and if you not strong enough it might look faint..
Mar 23, 2021 9:55 AM
Oct 2019
It is visible but it doesn’t mean it is actual water, lightning or flames that are being summoned.

The user as well as the victim of the technique can both see and / or feel the elements represented, but you don’t actually get wet, shocked or burned when the blade connects.

Breathing techniques = visual metaphors.
Apr 13, 2021 6:03 AM
Apr 2021
Emblemz said:
It's clear their visual metaphors. My favorite example is Giyuu in episode 20. It's not like he literally pulls an entire field of water out of his ass to stop an attack...

I know this was all the way back in 2019 but my deadass rewatched demon slayer and got curious. Since it's just "visual art", how could tanjiro move the arrows of the arrow demon in the fight with his sword even if it's clearly stated that if the sword touches them,it will get redirected. And considering the range of the arrows and the way he moves his sword,even if the sword could touch the arrows,it would have been impossible to redirect them with the blade if it wasn't for the water or some other similar source

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
7 hours ago

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

17 by ApolloD »»
Yesterday, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2019

316 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

301 by pyrophilia »»
Apr 17, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1094 by pyrophilia »»
Apr 17, 12:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.