Forums
New
Aug 14, 2019 1:36 AM
Aug 2019
Demon slayer best anime of 2019?????

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 14, 2019 1:40 AM

Oct 2013
For me it's still Dororo followed by The Promised Neverland, Bungou Stray Dogs S3 and Mob Psycho 100 S2 in that order. At least until I start watching other 2019 anime.
Aug 14, 2019 1:41 AM
Jan 2019
Definitely not people are just hyping it up after episode 19
Aug 14, 2019 1:45 AM

May 2016
Thanjh said:

Same

It's overrated imo. People are just hyping it up after episode 19 makes perfecy sense
Aug 14, 2019 1:46 AM
Aug 2017
It's really good (a lil over hyped after ep19) and it has tough competition for anime of the year.

Like mob psycho 2 and snk s3p2 if we are considering sequels. Vinland saga has the most chances of winning if it stays true to the manga and bnha is going to be adaptation the best arc (acc. To me and most manga readers) of the manga in s4 next season.
Aug 14, 2019 1:55 AM

Jan 2014
Doesn't even contend for AOTY. Just my opinion, though.
Aug 14, 2019 2:03 AM

Apr 2017
For me it's not AoTY by far. It's a good Shounen, but that's it. It suffers from all the usual Shounen faults and more, even if it's overall pretty solid. But there is a lot of missed potential imo.

For the time being show closest to being AoTY for me is Vinland Saga which is just beginning, but it's already a lot better than Yaiba. JoJo part 5 is next in line. Chihayafuru S3 looks like only other possible contender so far, so I'm looking forward to the next season. Maybe there will still be some surprise show too which might overtake them all. But Yaiba stands no chance.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 14, 2019 2:04 AM

May 2018
It's good but not there yet. The drum demon arc is boring.
Aug 14, 2019 2:08 AM

Mar 2018
It is for me, i loved every single episode and the animation quality is really good.
I also loved other series this year like The Rising of the Shield Hero, Dororo and TPN and definitely AOT but with the exception of Kimetsu no Yaiba they all disappoint a little.
Aug 14, 2019 2:09 AM
Jul 2019
We'll see. It's a great anime for sure. I've got my eye on Vinland Saga though as a potential AOTY contender.

Aug 14, 2019 2:18 AM

Jan 2019
Kimetsu no yaiba does nothing better than the worst shounens, the only thing that's making it good is ufotable, but I personally don't like the animation because of the CGI. When I watch anime I want to see drawings, not a videogame cinematic.

Kimetsu no yaiba is has not even a single chance to be even in the top 10 AOTY

Aug 14, 2019 2:20 AM
Nov 2017
No, it's not.

You can't just say the best anime of 2019 only for a great one episode. It is good overall, but it's far from a masterpiece. I mean, it's my opinion, but that's what I look as well as the others. I and the other people love this series because of the final, but I think again about the other episode and it's not as hype as it is.
Aug 14, 2019 2:20 AM

Apr 2017
Thanjh said:
MrZawa said:
For me it's not AoTY by far. It's a good Shounen, but that's it. It suffers from all the usual Shounen faults and more, even if it's overall pretty solid. But there is a lot of missed potential imo.

For the time being show closest to being AoTY for me is Vinland Saga which is just beginning, but it's already a lot better than Yaiba. JoJo part 5 is next in line. Chihayafuru S3 looks like only other possible contender so far, so I'm looking forward to the next season. Maybe there will still be some surprise show too which might overtake them all. But Yaiba stands no chance.
Does jojo count if it started in fall 2018? And if it does, does run with the wind as well?

Personally I would count it because during the part in fall it managed to hardly show the good parts, so it would be doomed to not be AoTY just because it began airing late in 2018, which I think isn't fair. I think different people might have different opinions on this matter though. But since it aired more episodes during 2019 than 2018 I think it should be 2019 show. As for Run with the Wind that's harder for me to answer, but I would probably count it as 2019 show too for the sake of AoTY.

I prefer to choose year show ends in because it already managed to show all it had rather than season where it began when a lot is still open at the end of the year.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 14, 2019 2:23 AM

Jun 2019
Thanjh said:
MrZawa said:

Does jojo count if it started in fall 2018? And if it does, does run with the wind as well?
It shouldn't, but they will certainly throw up in there just because it's JoJo.

Run With The Win is not winning nothing. Remember the rule, only popular & hyped stuff win.
Aug 14, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2013
Nah....just wait next Fall season, we have much more contender to be AoTY as they more popular and almost all will watch those series because of continuity sequel story....
Aug 14, 2019 2:30 AM

Oct 2018
Be careful with posts like this

Here, on MAL you can't have your own opinion, if you disagree with someone, you have "shit" taste

If you think Kimetsu no Yaiba is the best this year, then you're wrong

Let's say if SnK fans say that the obvious AOTY is SnK, they're probably right
Since as I said, you can't have your own opinion here

About my own opinion:
It's definitely one of the best this year(maybe the best) so far
-Aincrad-Aug 14, 2019 2:33 AM
Aug 14, 2019 2:30 AM

Dec 2018
Yes, Demon Slayer best anime 2019

IMO anyways
Oregairu is life
Aug 14, 2019 2:32 AM

Jun 2019
-Aincrad- said:

Here, on MAL you can't have your own opinion, if you disagree with someone, you have "shit" taste

SnK fans say that's the obvious AOYT, so they're probably right
I see you're implying that if someone says that an anime is the best, it should be the best for everyone else, as well.

nOiCe.
Aug 14, 2019 2:39 AM

Oct 2018
Thanjh said:
-Aincrad- said:

Let's say if SnK fans say that the obvious AOTY is SnK, they're probably right

About my own opinion:
It's definitely one of the best this year(maybe the best) so far
Because everyone in this thread so far has been toxic and told him he has shit taste

I was not really referring to this thread

I was speaking in general, based on what I've read in the past days(and like based on what I usually see on forums)
Aug 14, 2019 2:40 AM

Jan 2016
I think Vinland Saga might be better. I am waiting to see it's ascension.
Aug 14, 2019 2:40 AM

Jun 2019
@Thanjh

I haven't seen it but i've read quite few reviews and it seems they really like it alot, it's just no one was hyped for that when it came out, no one knew about it either nor anyone whose, eventually will choose an AOTY or any awards for that matter, will be given to it. Unfortunately, this is how it works.
Aug 14, 2019 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
So people are just gonna ignore the average plot because of that 3 minutes of episode 19 and call it aoty?

Levi vs beast titan was better imo
Aug 14, 2019 2:44 AM

Oct 2018
laviha said:
So people are just gonna ignore the average plot because of that 3 minutes of episode 19 and call it aoty?

If we're talking about length, then let's not forget Levi vs Beast Titan wasn't even a minute long, just saying
Aug 14, 2019 2:48 AM
Jul 2018
-Aincrad- said:
laviha said:

If we're talking about length, then let's not forget Levi vs Beast Titan wasn't even a minute long, just saying

It was around 55 seconds long, almost there lol
Aug 14, 2019 2:54 AM

Oct 2018
HououinKyouma123 said:
I think Vinland Saga might be better. I am waiting to see it's ascension.

So far it's not better if you ask me(but the actual plot will start next episode),but it definitely has the potential to be one of the best this year

And IMO, this season only Vinland Saga has the chance to produce such a high quality episode like episode 19 of KnY
Aug 14, 2019 2:55 AM

Mar 2018
If visuals are enough for you maybe. Overall story is ass. Shit doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in AOTY discussions
poop
Aug 14, 2019 2:59 AM

Oct 2017
No, not even close. Best animation of 2019 quite possibly but the story and characters are nowhere near good enough to merit aoty imo. It's been fairly standard battle shounen stuff so far with it's own personal spin on it but nothing that makes it stand out enough. Outstanding animation is only one part of anime, I feel like too many people ignore that.
Aug 14, 2019 4:01 AM
Oct 2018
laviha said:

laviha said:

people also ignore the average plot in snk and mob and they call it aoty for mob it just the animation fight scene that make people hyped more and it the same for snk people start hyped with levi vs beast titan in snk s3p1 even before they animated in snks3p2 and You can't compare one show in his beginning to another in his penultimate season.if it not for the studios who make those anime with thes animation they wont get that much hype in the end all of them are shounin with different story
Aug 14, 2019 4:09 AM
Jul 2018
Samoan said:
laviha said:

laviha said:

people also ignore the average plot in snk and mob and they call it aoty for mob it just the animation fight scene that make people hyped more and it the same for snk people start hyped with levi vs beast titan in snk s3p1 even before they animated in snks3p2 and You can't compare one show in his beginning to another in his penultimate season.if it not for the studios who make those anime with thes animation they wont get that much hype in the end all of them are shounin with different story

Mob pyscho doesn't have a plot but it's still enjoyable. But Snk has a goddamn plot and direction in the story. At least both mob and snk are different than other typical shounen anime. Demon Slayer is honestly nothing new and not that interesting, just put a bunch of demons there and let the mc fight them.
Aug 14, 2019 4:14 AM

May 2018
Thanjh said:

True. They hype up and the score goes up together.
Aug 14, 2019 4:17 AM

Jul 2019
laviha said:
Samoan said:

Mob pyscho doesn't have a plot but it's still enjoyable. But Snk has a goddamn plot and direction in the story. At least both mob and snk are different than other typical shounen anime. Demon Slayer is honestly nothing new and not that interesting, just put a bunch of demons there and let the mc fight them.
Samoan said:
laviha said:

laviha said:

Mob psycho's best episode was the one without action i.e. ep.7 which even beats the other episodes who have action in them and the best arc in Mob psycho was the arc without action.

And so does in Aot the arc without the action is my favorite: truth revealing arc > battle arc.
puneetsinghAug 14, 2019 4:21 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 14, 2019 4:26 AM
Oct 2018
NicOz42 said:
Thanjh said:

you say that as if the show had 6 before episode 19 and went up to 8.63.the show start with 8.5x score and stay like that until episode 19 when he start to go up because the episode was awesome.
Aug 14, 2019 4:28 AM

Nov 2013
It has some hype moments but overall the pacing is too slow.
Aug 14, 2019 4:32 AM

May 2018

you say that as if the show had 6 before episode 19 and went up to 8.63.the show start with 8.5x score and stay like that until episode 19 when he start to go up because the episode was awesome.

I'd say Demon Slayer's story is pretty weak for me that's why something like this happens, but that's my point of view so...
Aug 14, 2019 4:32 AM

Mar 2012
People: OMG this is so good sakuga blablabla.

Me: Finally she is useful again for once instead of becoming trophy.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 14, 2019 4:37 AM
Oct 2018
Thanjh said:
Samoan said:
Lol I’ve already explained to you the difference in mob not having a strong plot in a different thread To which you didn’t reply. Some shows don’t need strong plots my guy
i didn't reply because i don't wanna start a debate that lead to nothing i just explore people opinion
Aug 14, 2019 4:46 AM

Jan 2015
thats not how you spell attack on titan s3p2

also, why are people so easily hyped by good animation? there are many overrared trash shows with good animation which get overhyped because of it..
Aug 14, 2019 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
One episode with good animation does not AOTY make.
Aug 14, 2019 4:56 AM
May 2019
Most definitely not, come on. It's totally ass compared to other shows this year.
Aug 14, 2019 5:05 AM

Mar 2016
It's a good anime, but it's not even close to being the best in my opinion.
Aug 14, 2019 5:42 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
I like it a lot but it ain't aoty for me, granted, it's still ongoing, as the rest of the shows this season, not to mention we still have fall coming up. But looking at the shows coming up, I don't see one from fall taking it, my aoty will probably be either fruits basket or mob 2 or aot s3 p2 but there are definitely lots of options this year including kimetsu, great that most have something to enjoy, let's hope this season and the next will keep it up and have a nice day.
Aug 14, 2019 5:46 AM

Jul 2019
betaweeb said:
I like it a lot but it ain't aoty for me, granted, it's still ongoing, as the rest of the shows this season, not to mention we still have fall coming up. But looking at the shows coming up, I don't see one from fall taking it, my aoty will probably be either fruits basket or mob 2 or aot s3 p2 but there are definitely lots of options this year including kimetsu, great that most have something to enjoy, let's hope this season and the next will keep it up and have a nice day.
Have a nice day to you too and have fun.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 14, 2019 6:16 AM

Jan 2011
It's not just ep 19 that's good you silly cunts.
Aug 14, 2019 12:26 PM
May 2017
*Sigh*

Ah shit, here we go again

This is what happens when folks only care about "muh sakuga" and not the story, no its not aoty worthy!! Neverland, mob, Vinland, Aot and even Jojo's are better from a narrative perspective
Aug 14, 2019 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Thanjh said:
Because everyone in this thread so far has been toxic and told him he has shit taste

I was not really referring to this thread

I was speaking in general, based on what I've read in the past days(and like based on what I usually see on forums)

Thank you! I may not be a huge shounen fan for several reasons. But some people really love shonen and that's that. If they call AOT, Dr Stone or some other generic shonen anime of the year, let those shows be AOTY for them. It does not have to be yours. Everyone has different opinions.

Yes, Demon Slayer story-wise, can be generic compared to something like TPN. We all know Nezuko may turn back into a human in the end. But I felt the slow pacing of the series was quite nice and perhaps unique for a battle shonen series.

As for my opinion, I think Demon Slayer is tied between TPN and Fruits Basket as AOTY, for me that is.
Aug 14, 2019 12:54 PM

Aug 2011
I'm not totally caught up with it, but as of episode 14, it hasn't really kept my interest. That's why I've fallen so far behind on it; I'm just not excited to watch it every week. I can understand why it has its fans, but I don't think it comes close to best anime of the year, at least not for me. I doubt it'll even be in my top 20, honestly.
palm-treeAug 15, 2019 8:28 AM
Aug 14, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2014
The only mold that Demon Slayer breaks in any capacity is the art and animation, it's otherwise exceedingly mediocre, it's the same thing with Fire Force.

The only difference is despite both having extremely trope heavy characters that are predictable/interchangeable with same trope characters from different shows, is that DS is far more character driven and FF is narrative driven. You essentially will like 1 more depending on if you prefer characters or world building, because i must say the world of DS is quite barren, pretty much demons exist and that's about it, nothing else interesting or different. Whereas Fire Force operates on a much bigger scale, beyond societal changes but the entire world is different through multiple layers of depth, and it's a journey through that world.

Edit: I should also add, that my biggest problem with Demon Slayer is the interjections of comedy, which is the antithesis of horror and serious tones. I was in love with the first episode, how gritty and raw it was, but that quickly shattered with the repeated slapstick comedy. They're opposites cancelling each other out and need to be treated differently, it's not simple levity when the 2 biggest themes are slapstick comedy and seriousness.
LunilahAug 14, 2019 1:04 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 14, 2019 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
It isn't bad for.It certainly is not anime of the year. It is just hype for episode 19. The good thing the anime has is that the anime adaptation is solid.

Characters are not memorable, dialogue can get super corny,premise is generic and the comedy is hit or miss. Episode 19 would have been a 10 for me if it wasn't for the super forced speech Tanjiro gave lmao.

All in all the show is a solid 8 to a light 9
Aug 14, 2019 2:01 PM

Sep 2018
Why are those threads still made, i am scared, the best show for a facct is and will be Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou or as cultivated individuels such as myself would say, Is it possible for this Isekai to be a better parody of a serious show than the likes of shingeki no kyojin or Dr.Stone?!
Aug 14, 2019 2:16 PM

Oct 2018
I don't know about AOTY but it is definitely a contender.

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
59 minutes ago

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

17 by ApolloD »»
Yesterday, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2019

316 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

301 by pyrophilia »»
Apr 17, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1094 by pyrophilia »»
Apr 17, 12:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.