New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2019 4:23 PM
Jan 2019
[quote=AlphaOmegaKnight]
Thanjh said:
Definitely not people are just hyping it up after episode 19

Same

It's overrated imo. People are just hyping it up after episode 19 makes perfecy sense[/quote cuz Vinland Saga is the anime of the century
Aug 17, 2019 4:24 PM
Jan 2019
MarioAk_ said:
1. Vinland Saga
2. Mob Psycho 100 II
3. Shingeki No Kyojin S3 P2

They're just above anything else this year imo
yeahh Vinland Saga is the anime of the century!!!!!
Aug 17, 2019 4:25 PM
Jan 2019
light_of_amphy said:
Objectively it’s up there with the Promised Neverland so far, and it might turn out to be the best of the year. But then there’s also Mob Psycho 100 2, Vinland Saga, so it’s gonna be tough. Personally though Fruits Basket is the best and Kaguya Sama is not that far behind, FIGHT MEH!!!
Vinland Saga is the anime of the century!!!!
Aug 17, 2019 4:27 PM
Jan 2019
[quote=ayalazhar08]
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Thanjh said:
Definitely not people are just hyping it up after episode 19

Same

It's overrated imo. People are just hyping it up after episode 19 makes perfecy sense[/quote cuz Vinland Saga is the anime of the century
cuz Vinland Saga is a Masterpiece that even the promesed neverland can't defeat just wait for a. Few more episodes
Aug 17, 2019 4:44 PM

Feb 2019
ShanAsuna said:
Superns18 said:
Easily and it's not even close. I been saying this since March and they laughed at me, they called me a madman, now after episode 19 everyone is on the bandwagon.

I know right. I'd love to offer you a high-five for this but more importantly...
Brace for impact, here come the trolls!

Yep, it’s a part of the process, comes with the territory
Aug 17, 2019 4:58 PM

May 2018
I love this anime and manga but it's not even close to being my personal "best anime of 2019".
i think that the best anime's this year is Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2, Mob Psycho 100 II and The Promised Neverland.
Aug 17, 2019 5:28 PM
Jul 2019
Rider9530 said:
I love this anime and manga but it's not even close to being my personal "best anime of 2019".
i think that the best anime's this year is Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2, Mob Psycho 100 II and The Promised Neverland.
someone hasn't read vinland
Aug 17, 2019 5:35 PM
Feb 2019
After successful at ep.19 then everyone doesn’t like this film. What ‘s the fuck ???? I think Kimetsu no Yaiba is one of the best film in 2019 .
Aug 17, 2019 5:44 PM

May 2018
KILLAJONITAS said:
Rider9530 said:
someone hasn't read vinland

Correct, i still haven't read vinland saga (it's on my plan to read) but i have high hopes for this anime and until now it delivered everything but it's still to early for me to call it anime of the year.
I plan to read the manga after the anime ends this season.
Aug 17, 2019 5:47 PM

Oct 2013
puneetsingh said:
keragamming said:

My question is if we exclude the the last 3 minutes of episode 19 from episode 19 would it had stand out from the previous 18 episodes? Because the only thing I'm hearing is about the last 3 minutes of episode 19 and how godly it was, I don't hear anyone talking about the beginning of the episode or the middle portion, there is no other mention of no other part of that episode except for the last 3 minutes of episode 19 how can people say it is the best episode of the season or even go as far as calling this the best anime of the year because of the last 3 minutes of episode 19? you notice the pattern I am going with?

It has a shout for best animation episode, no doubt about it, the last 3 minutes was fantastic, but no way in hell does this qualify for being the best episode of the year, just because of the last 3 minutes of episode 19.

In comparison episode 5 of snk part 2, "hero" is not number 1 on imdb for no reason, that episode was great throughout the episode and not just the last 3 minutes of that episode It had everything, you have the beast titan vs levi in the first part of that episode and then you have the scouts vs the Collosal and Armored titan on the second half of that episode and then it had that godly ending in the 3 minutes of that episode as well

My point is, the entire episode has to be consistently good to make it a contender, last 3 minutes doesn't qualify.

Here is the progress of KNY anime through each episodes according to the time I gather my information about it and wrote it.

Serial No. --------------- 5 out of 5
Ep.1 ----------------------65.63%
Ep.2 ----------------------69.45%
Ep.3 ----------------------69.74%
Ep.4 ----------------------86.72%
Ep.5 ----------------------74.36%
Ep.6 ----------------------75.61%
Ep.7 ----------------------84.25%
Ep.8 ----------------------79.52%
Ep.9 ----------------------72.41%
Ep.10 ---------------------72.31%
Ep.11 ---------------------50.18%
Ep.12 ---------------------70.27%
Ep.13 ---------------------66.32%
Ep.14 ---------------------66.18%
Ep.15 ---------------------65.05%
Ep.16 ---------------------82.40%
Ep.17 ---------------------83.51%
Ep.18 ---------------------83.15%
Ep.19 ---------------------97.09%
Average ------------------74.43%

Actually the rating of KNY was increasing slowly from sometime even before episode 19 came out but a sudden increase from 8.51 to 8.65 came due to ep.19(more likely due to a Sakuga scene as you said).

hmmm.... My conscience is telling me that I didn't give the series a fair chance, so I'm going to pick it back up and give it another go and if nothing changes I will drop it again, this time permanently. I got some free time now, so might as well watch some anime.

Thanks for that info btw.
Aug 17, 2019 5:49 PM

May 2018
duongtu99 said:
After successful at ep.19 then everyone doesn’t like this film. What ‘s the fuck ???? I think Kimetsu no Yaiba is one of the best film in 2019 .

I have no idea what your talking about, first of all Kimetsu no Yaiba is an anime series and not a film and secondly everyone started to propose this anime as "anime of the year" only after episode 19 because it was a good episode, so i don't get what you mean when you say that people don't like this series anymore.
Can you explain?
Aug 18, 2019 9:03 AM

Jul 2019
keragamming said:
puneetsingh said:

Here is the progress of KNY anime through each episodes according to the time I gather my information about it and wrote it.

Serial No. --------------- 5 out of 5
Ep.1 ----------------------65.63%
Ep.2 ----------------------69.45%
Ep.3 ----------------------69.74%
Ep.4 ----------------------86.72%
Ep.5 ----------------------74.36%
Ep.6 ----------------------75.61%
Ep.7 ----------------------84.25%
Ep.8 ----------------------79.52%
Ep.9 ----------------------72.41%
Ep.10 ---------------------72.31%
Ep.11 ---------------------50.18%
Ep.12 ---------------------70.27%
Ep.13 ---------------------66.32%
Ep.14 ---------------------66.18%
Ep.15 ---------------------65.05%
Ep.16 ---------------------82.40%
Ep.17 ---------------------83.51%
Ep.18 ---------------------83.15%
Ep.19 ---------------------97.09%
Average ------------------74.43%

Actually the rating of KNY was increasing slowly from sometime even before episode 19 came out but a sudden increase from 8.51 to 8.65 came due to ep.19(more likely due to a Sakuga scene as you said).

hmmm.... My conscience is telling me that I didn't give the series a fair chance, so I'm going to pick it back up and give it another go and if nothing changes I will drop it again, this time permanently. I got some free time now, so might as well watch some anime.

Thanks for that info btw.
You are welcome. Enjoy your free time.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 18, 2019 9:10 AM

Jan 2013
It's definitely a contender but lets sit tight.
Aug 18, 2019 10:40 AM

Aug 2019
I mean, at this point AoT S3P2 is 100% the series that’s going to win AOTY almost everywhere, but let’s see how the community feels about Vinland Saga when the season ends.

Right now it would be:
1. AoT
2. Mob
3. The rest fighting the 3rd place
Aug 19, 2019 6:04 PM

Nov 2018
Its is a good anime no doubt, but AOTY? nah

A great studio can only improve uppon a mediocre manga soo much.
Aug 19, 2019 9:26 PM
Aug 2018
In terms of animation I wouldn’t even give it a second thought if this series won that award but AOTY not really since the story and characters are kinda generic
Aug 26, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2011
I hate giving opinions on things when I don't love them, cause there's enough negativity going around the internet as it is, but I feel like this is the most overrated a series has ever been. The animation is fantastic but the rest is just so generic. I still like it enough to consider it good (7/10) but MAN does people hype this up. Zenitsu may be the most annoying character ever (for me) and the power system makes no sense and even if it did, it's so boring. It's basically like Hamon and there was no explanation as to how Tanjiro learned anything. Compare it to Nen and it's laughable. Mob Psycho II is the AOTY for me closely followed by AoT Season 3 Part 2 and Dororo.
Aug 26, 2019 11:37 AM

Oct 2018
It is the best one for me this year yet

The only anime e enjoyed this much this year so far was Shield Hero

Yeah Mob Psycho 100 II and SnK 3/2 were outstanding too, I really loved them, but I still didn't look forward to every single episode as much as I did of Shield Hero, and now KnY

I've watched every episode of KnY at least twice, some even more

I could write a long essay why I love this anime, but I'm lazy to do that, and why would I?
-Aincrad-Aug 26, 2019 11:42 AM
Aug 26, 2019 2:17 PM

Sep 2017
KnY is my favourite 2019 anime by far, but quickly followed by Mmo Dao Zu Shi 2, and then by Yakusoku no Neverland and Mob Psycho 100 II (AoT and Vinland Saga are obviously good but they can't even dream of entering my top 4)

However I think AoT will be the 2019 Anime of the year, it has to be, regarding its popularity and how well received it was
Aug 26, 2019 2:18 PM

Nov 2018
Probably not, but I would put episode 19 as one of the best episodes this year (maybe of all time)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 26, 2019 3:00 PM
Sep 2017
The only aoty in my op is sarazanmai. Lots of great shows this year, I’m loving Given and Dr Stone this season, (haven’t watched snk) but in terms of aoty I don’t think any show comes close to sarazanmai
Aug 28, 2019 1:21 AM

Jun 2014
This is just my opinion but as someone who dropped the anime and skimmed the manga just to know what the fk was wrong with that yellow haired guy...

This show is really really not AOTY worthy, and I'm saying this knowing I don't watch many AOTY worthy anime. The plot of the anime/manga is really, really average. It does nothing a typical shonen doesn't which is the reason why I dropped the anime and skimmed through the manga.

The only reason this anime is being really acclaimed is because it's animation is so amazing and the story isn't shit. Yes that right, the show is mostly acclaimed for it's animation don't even try to argue this point.
I did watch ep 19 just to see what the hype was about, and to be honest... it really wasn't anything that special, it even feels like a power of the friendship/love thing, but just because there was a (great) insert song and godlike animation it was praised to heaven.

Don't get me wrong, that perfectly fine, an anime is a audiovisual medium so having such great music and animation to a scene is praise worthy since most anime doesn't do it. But when you have to consider a contender for AOTY you also have to look at the story and characters and IMO in this show are really not on par. You can't just give AOTY to a show that looks good, the story should also be good, hell it should be more important than the animation but the animation shouldn't be neglected either.
Aug 28, 2019 2:11 AM

Dec 2018
Thai777 said:
This is just my opinion but as someone who dropped the anime and skimmed the manga just to know what the fk was wrong with that yellow haired guy...

This show is really really not AOTY worthy, and I'm saying this knowing I don't watch many AOTY worthy anime. The plot of the anime/manga is really, really average. It does nothing a typical shonen doesn't which is the reason why I dropped the anime and skimmed through the manga.

The only reason this anime is being really acclaimed is because it's animation is so amazing and the story isn't shit. Yes that right, the show is mostly acclaimed for it's animation don't even try to argue this point.
I did watch ep 19 just to see what the hype was about, and to be honest... it really wasn't anything that special, it even feels like a power of the friendship/love thing, but just because there was a (great) insert song and godlike animation it was praised to heaven.

Don't get me wrong, that perfectly fine, an anime is a audiovisual medium so having such great music and animation to a scene is praise worthy since most anime doesn't do it. But when you have to consider a contender for AOTY you also have to look at the story and characters and IMO in this show are really not on par. You can't just give AOTY to a show that looks good, the story should also be good, hell it should be more important than the animation but the animation shouldn't be neglected either.

When you rate Hotaru no Haka a 3, give katekyo no hit man and demi chan wa kataritai 9s, then you say "the story should also be good"... It's not very convincing.

It's like when someone calls Stephanie Meyer a legend, thinks F Scott Fitzgerald is overrated, shares his opinion about prose and writing... People aren't going to take him seriously
ShanAsunaAug 28, 2019 2:20 AM
Aug 28, 2019 2:29 AM

Jun 2014
ShanAsuna said:
Thai777 said:

When you rate Hotaru no Haka a 3, give katekyo no hit man and demi chan wa kataritai 9s, then you say "the story should also be good"... It's not very convincing.

It's like when someone calls Stephanie Meyer a legend, thinks F Scott Fitzgerald is overrated, shares his opinion about prose and writing... People aren't going to take him seriously

Typical check my animelist to see how shit my taste are huh.

My rating in my animelist is subjective as fuck so you know... when you take my animelist and check how I rate those animes you can't just assume that a higher rated anime = better story. It doesn't work like that friend, I rate anime by how I feel.

Therefore using my rating in my list isn't a good assesment of how I judge the quality of an anime plot. I would even say it's probably a bad idea because I usually go for anime that are extremely light plotwise. Does that mean I can't judge how good an anime is plotwise? That depends on you. Does that mean my argument is completely voided? Now I wonder...

EDIT: If this wasn't clear by now, how I define an AOTY is incompatible with my personal rating system so using it against me is pointless.
Thai777Aug 28, 2019 2:34 AM
Aug 28, 2019 3:04 AM
Mar 2018
FuriousNutSlaps said:
Demon slayer was dropped by me from the first episode, do you guys wanna know why? Well, it was nothing new. It was nothing new i had not seen before and thus dropping it. Out of curiousity i saw episode 19, and i have to say, the animation is godlike but that's it. I didn't enjoy it either.
Ferien said:
It looked like a typical shonen emotion-based, determination power-up, which is something other shounens are heavily criticized and looked-down for. It really kinda disappoints me that for the inclusion of the same characteristic element, ones are praised, yet others crucified like if they had committed a sin.
^ This guy basically said everything I think about the hype of that episode.

i dont think you should judge an anime by the first episode, especially since its really hard to distinguish itself from other shows by that time frame. ex being hxh, which was a pretty standard shounen in the first arc
Aug 28, 2019 3:20 AM
May 2017
Mamzy97 said:
Personally no, Jojo’s Part 5: Golden Wind still holds that title for me, followed by TPN & AOT S3 Part 2. Maybe top 5 but definitely not number 1 if I’m honest.

You earn points for mentioning Jojo's, seriously the anime community has the memory capacity of a fish, its all about recency bias!! They all forget the good shit they watched a few months ago and focus on the new stuff. Also if "muh Sakuga" is the only thing that determines AOTY than i guess Fire Force will be the Greatest anime of this year...

Also ma boii @Vooo imma need the sauce for that gif of yours, is that the chick from Black Lagoon??!
Aug 28, 2019 4:12 AM

Dec 2018
Thai777 said:
ShanAsuna said:

Typical check my animelist to see how shit my taste are huh.

My rating in my animelist is subjective as fuck so you know... when you take my animelist and check how I rate those animes you can't just assume that a higher rated anime = better story. It doesn't work like that friend, I rate anime by how I feel.

Therefore using my rating in my list isn't a good assesment of how I judge the quality of an anime plot. I would even say it's probably a bad idea because I usually go for anime that are extremely light plotwise. Does that mean I can't judge how good an anime is plotwise? That depends on you. Does that mean my argument is completely voided? Now I wonder...

EDIT: If this wasn't clear by now, how I define an AOTY is incompatible with my personal rating system so using it against me is pointless.

Lolsss if you "feel" Hotaru no Haka is 3 and Katekyo no Hitman and Demi chan wa kataritai are 9s... You do you, sure. Of course, you can have your subjective preference.

But I'm not trusting your ability to "segregate" your subjective feelings from your "objective method" of selecting AOTY.

It's like a doctor tells me he's a scientologist but his religion has got nothing to do with his professionalism. He's a man of science AND scientology (lols). I'd have my doubts.
Aug 28, 2019 4:42 AM

Jun 2014
ShanAsuna said:

Lolsss if you "feel" Hotaru no Haka is 3 and Katekyo no Hitman and Demi chan wa kataritai are 9s... You do you, sure. Of course, you can have your subjective preference.

But I'm not trusting your ability to "segregate" your subjective feelings from your "objective method" of selecting AOTY.

It's like a doctor tells me he's a scientologist but his religion has got nothing to do with his professionalism. He's a man of science AND scientology (lols). I'd have my doubts.

Sure you do you, I'm not here to tell my own choice of AOTY, I'm here to say that an AOTY should not rely entirely on the animation (which is how kimetsu no yaiba is shaping up to be with my experience of it).

And since you're focusing so much on hotaru no haka let me tell you the tale that lead to that score... WARNING you might cringe.

In the old days when I was but a young fledgling that did my first step in anime. I used some website called dpstream that had anime in VOSTFR. After finishing my first anime and participating a little bit in the comments of said anime, someone PM'ed me a recommendation of the name of CLANNAD.

Me being the fledgling I was, I just went into it and experienced quite an emotional experience at the end of CLANNAD afterstory. Thinking that it still didn't manage to make me cry I used the amazingly reliable source called yahoo answer to help me find THE anime that will make me cry.

And one of those anime recommendation was hotaru no haka...

After experiencing a lot of the "recommended tearjerker" of the time, I went into hotaru no haka expecting it to induce a lot of emotional turmoil within me... only to spend around 2h watching something extremely boring for my young anime watcher mind with an ending that made me feel absolutely nothing. At the time I was watching it afterschool and my free time started and ended with the movie. So the irritation of losing all my free time on a movie that bored me to death lead me to the score.

A movie about war? Who cared about that? I was expecting the feeeelsss!! 3/10

So my young 14 years old brain expected sadness from the movie, and the movie didn't deliver it. End of the story.

Hope you enjoyed. Your 10/10 movie was just shoved aside and judged inadequately by my wrong expectation and my stupid young brain.
Aug 28, 2019 6:08 AM
Aug 2019
Not really. Promised Neverland was better in my opinion.
Aug 28, 2019 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
Hnn. . . Not really. Sure the animation and visuals were spot on (can't say the same plotwise) but it's not AOTY for me.

It's more like Mo Dao Zu Shi, The Promised Neverland, Attack on Titan S3P2, Mob Psycho 100 P2, Sarazanmai, in order.

Then again,it's too early to tell. The year hasn't even finished so I'll wait till the Fall 2019 anime come out to make a decision.
Aug 28, 2019 6:27 AM
Sep 2016
I prefer the story(manga) of SnK or Vinland and , in fact KnY manga is a good shonen but it's nothing special or unbelievable, but if I have to judge the respective adaptations and the emotions they managed to convey by using the source material, KnY is the best anime of the year and probably one of the best animated adaptations ever (because it manages to improve the original product by a lot)
Aug 28, 2019 6:29 AM

Jul 2017
I'm enjoying Kimetsu a lot more than most seasonals this year. Like most people said though, there are definitely better options out there, and obviously not everyone is gonna like what you like.
It's a good anime overall though. Ufotable is doing a nice job, even if's another spin on the battle shounen genre. It's just done better.
Aug 28, 2019 7:01 AM
Oct 2018
My real problem with this topic is that nobody even thought of it as aoty before ep 19. Heck I doubt they considered it best of its season. They better give the award to ufotable for causing such a wave in anike community.
Aug 28, 2019 7:11 AM

Dec 2018
thekillfra said:
I prefer the story(manga) of SnK or Vinland and , in fact KnY manga is a good shonen but it's nothing special or unbelievable, but if I have to judge the respective adaptations and the emotions they managed to convey by using the source material, KnY is the best anime of the year and probably one of the best animated adaptations ever (because it manages to improve the original product by a lot)

Fair analysis. I would personally choose KNY as anime of the year because I believe an anime is largely the work of the studio, rather than the author.

If the author is deserving of praise for an incredible story, I think it's more appropriate for the manga to receive critical acclaim because the manga is almost entirely the author's work.

I've barely read a couple of chapters of SnK and have never read Vinland Saga, manga's not really my thing. But I do like SnK's refreshing premise (when it first came out) and overall writing. Still, I did get annoyed when it got much longer than expected. I felt the story was getting unnecessarily complicated just because the author didn't want to end the series.
Aug 28, 2019 7:14 AM
Sep 2017
Not AOTY for me but I agree it's very nice. You can tell that the people working on it are passionate about it.
Aug 28, 2019 7:16 AM

Dec 2018
Thai777 said:
ShanAsuna said:

Sure you do you, I'm not here to tell my own choice of AOTY, I'm here to say that an AOTY should not rely entirely on the animation (which is how kimetsu no yaiba is shaping up to be with my experience of it).

And since you're focusing so much on hotaru no haka let me tell you the tale that lead to that score... WARNING you might cringe.

In the old days when I was but a young fledgling that did my first step in anime. I used some website called dpstream that had anime in VOSTFR. After finishing my first anime and participating a little bit in the comments of said anime, someone PM'ed me a recommendation of the name of CLANNAD.

Me being the fledgling I was, I just went into it and experienced quite an emotional experience at the end of CLANNAD afterstory. Thinking that it still didn't manage to make me cry I used the amazingly reliable source called yahoo answer to help me find THE anime that will make me cry.

After experiencing a lot of the "recommended tearjerker" of the time, I went into hotaru no haka expecting it to induce a lot of emotional turmoil within me... only to spend around 2h watching something extremely boring for my young anime watcher mind with an ending that made me feel absolutely nothing. At the time I was watching it afterschool and my free time started and ended with the movie. So the irritation of losing all my free time on a movie that bored me to death lead me to the score.

So my young 14 years old brain expected sadness from the movie, and the movie didn't deliver it. End of the story.

Hope you enjoyed. Your 10/10 movie was just shoved aside and judged inadequately by my wrong expectation and my stupid young brain.

If your MAL ratings reflect your mindset at 14, then MAL users will perceive you and judge you like the boy you were at 14. It's only reasonable because that's all we know about you from your profile.

In any case, I wouldn't say Hotaru no Haka was about war. It's actually about the consequence of war on everyday civilians, your neighbour, the child next door, what it does to us.

*spoiler alert*

If you don't have "feels" from watching two orphans trying to survive a war torn society, with the little boy watching his sister starve to death before dying himself from starvation (animated by Ghibli, the universally recognised master at telling emotional stories) ... *sigh* It just reaffirms my decision not to trust your judgment
ShanAsunaAug 28, 2019 7:25 AM
Aug 28, 2019 11:52 AM
Jan 2018
I think it’s worthy of being the best anime. I hope they’ll be a season 2 honestly
Aug 28, 2019 12:55 PM
May 2017
Mamzy97 said:
Edylson said:

You earn points for mentioning Jojo's, seriously the anime community has the memory capacity of a fish, its all about recency bias!! They all forget the good shit they watched a few months ago and focus on the new stuff. Also if "muh Sakuga" is the only thing that determines AOTY than i guess Fire Force will be the Greatest anime of this year...

Also ma boii @Vooo imma need the sauce for that gif of yours, is that the chick from Black Lagoon??!

Yeah unfortunately that can be the case most of time, especially because people are so over-hyped about whats currently coming out now that they forget about the stuff that came before this season this year (MP100, TPN e.g.) and what'll come out by the end of this year (MHA S4 & FW S4 e.g.

Its not even most of the time, its always the case, its kinda like the whole WAIFU thing, for e.g. everbody will forget about Nezuko the same way everybody forgot about Raphtalia..

Ohh trust me MHA is safe, when the Fall season beging everybody's gonna suck mha's dick, even the folks that dont like the show, but FW??! I mean, i wont spoil if you're an anime only but there really isn't anything to be hyped about it, especially since J.C staff will bless us once again!!
EdylsonAug 28, 2019 12:59 PM
Aug 28, 2019 1:05 PM

Sep 2013
It's objectively the best, no contest. Anyone who says otherwise has bad taste. Episode 19 is the best episode in anime history. All other anime this year have either been disappointing or mediocre.
sic mundus
Aug 28, 2019 1:43 PM

Jun 2014
ShanAsuna said:
Thai777 said:

If your MAL ratings reflect your mindset at 14, then MAL users will perceive you and judge you like the boy you were at 14. It's only reasonable because that's all we know about you from your profile.

In any case, I wouldn't say Hotaru no Haka was about war. It's actually about the consequence of war on everyday civilians, your neighbour, the child next door, what it does to us.

*spoiler alert*

If you don't have "feels" from watching two orphans trying to survive a war torn society, with the little boy watching his sister starve to death before dying himself from starvation (animated by Ghibli, the universally recognised master at telling emotional stories) ... *sigh* It just reaffirms my decision not to trust your judgment

Sure that fine, I don't really care how you judge me. My list is full of weird stuff from my years of watching anime.
Thing is you should know and be aware that using one's list to argue is always a sophism.
When I'm giving an argument about how to judge an AOTY using my list again me is the equivalent of a personal attack.

So what if my way of rating anime is subjective? If I was watching enough anime every year, who said I couldn't use one of my 6/10 anime as my AOTY instead of one of my 10/10? My objective view of an anime =/= the score I give it.
Easy examples are some kyoani show which objectively always have great animation. Some of them are so terrible to me though that I lower the rating more than it should actually be because animation is a part of an anime yet I decide to unconditionally ignore it to lower the score. Does that mean I don't acknowledge the animation is good? No it's just me using my list however I want.

I gave a way to judge AOTY which I never implied was the same as my rating system.

So at the end I don't care how you trust my own judgement/rating system. Just try to think a little bit more on how I believe an AOTY should stand strong in every aspect of an anime yes?
Aug 28, 2019 1:50 PM

May 2018
lol no, it only has good animation. The story isn't interesting at all. The closest to AOTY would be either Vinland Saga or AOT S3 part 2
Aug 28, 2019 1:51 PM

Jun 2017
I can't believe I hadn't replied to this thread before

Yeah for those battle shounen fags but definitely not for me
Aug 28, 2019 3:47 PM
Sep 2018
The first 7-8 episodes were good, but then the constantly screaming protagonist and his dumb companions began to enrage. One of the most overrated ongings.
Aug 28, 2019 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
There's still one more season :/
Aug 28, 2019 7:30 PM

Dec 2018
Thai777 said:
ShanAsuna said:

*spoiler alert*

Sure that fine, I don't really care how you judge me. My list is full of weird stuff from my years of watching anime.
Thing is you should know and be aware that using one's list to argue is always a sophism.
When I'm giving an argument about how to judge an AOTY using my list again me is the equivalent of a personal attack.

So what if my way of rating anime is subjective? If I was watching enough anime every year, who said I couldn't use one of my 6/10 anime as my AOTY instead of one of my 10/10? My objective view of an anime =/= the score I give it.
Easy examples are some kyoani show which objectively always have great animation. Some of them are so terrible to me though that I lower the rating more than it should actually be because animation is a part of an anime yet I decide to unconditionally ignore it to lower the score. Does that mean I don't acknowledge the animation is good? No it's just me using my list however I want.

I gave a way to judge AOTY which I never implied was the same as my rating system.

So at the end I don't care how you trust my own judgement/rating system. Just try to think a little bit more on how I believe an AOTY should stand strong in every aspect of an anime yes?

If I've explained it once, I've explained it a thousand times. Your only complaint is KNY's story is allegedly "poor" even though all other aspects are objectively top-tier.

Not everyone shares your view (yes, the fact that your subjective taste is questionable is a factor). Just because a story has common themes (family bond, shounen themes) doesn't mean it's bad. Just because some stories have uncommon themes (such as vikings which really isn't uncommon except in anime) doesn't mean it's automatically good.

I know angsty little teenage boys think dark themes, an angsty protagonist who responds to loss with anger and hate, and death metal screaming show "depth" or "sophistication". They are also intolerant of wholesome stories and think kindness is weakness. But to a more mature audience, that's not how it works.
Aug 28, 2019 9:27 PM
Apr 2016
I don't really think that is the best of the year, but KnY is in my top 10 of this year definitely
Aug 28, 2019 9:39 PM
Apr 2016
ShanAsuna said:
Thai777 said:

You rate SAO a 9 and S;G a 4 (and for some reason you only rate SnK first season and season 3 part 2)
Aug 28, 2019 9:45 PM

Jun 2014
ShanAsuna said:

If I've explained it once, I've explained it a thousand times. Your only complaint is KNY's story is allegedly "poor" even though all other aspects are objectively top-tier.

Not everyone shares your view (yes, the fact that your subjective taste is questionable is a factor). Just because a story has common themes (family bond, shounen themes) doesn't mean it's bad. Just because some stories have uncommon themes (such as vikings which really isn't uncommon except in anime) doesn't mean it's automatically good.

I know angsty little teenage boys think dark themes, an angsty protagonist who responds to loss with anger and hate, and death metal screaming show "depth" or "sophistication". They are also intolerant of wholesome stories and think kindness is weakness. But to a more mature audience, that's not how it works.

Actually my complaints about KnY is more along the lines of: the story and characters are a little too weak to be an AOTY contender. Like when I talk about the story I'm not really talking about the themes. The themes are fine, it's more the villain of the week with tragic backstory that explain how they became like that that kinda make it on the weaker side plotwise.

Maybe my views have been skewered over the time but I just can't see how a "typical" shonen can get AOTY only from its animation(soundtrack is debatable, I haven't seen anything noteworthy except for ep 19). Like did you not see the backlash for the my hero academia crunchyroll award?
Like yes I agree that KnY animation and art is top notch but I can't see the characters and plot as being anything noteworthy.

Like if Reborn was to air now with the animation quality of KnY would it be AOTY worthy for you? What about black cover?

In the end it doesn't really matter to me. This whole debate was just my opinion to start with. I don't hate KnY I just didn't think it's AOTY worthy... but that not the first time that I disagree with the community so let's just agree to disagree. We both have our opinion of what an AOTY should be and both are fine.

Also don't try to imply I'm one of those angsty teenager that want some edge...if you watched my favorites anime you would have noticed I have none of those edgy anime you're implying.
Aug 29, 2019 6:01 AM

Aug 2018
Rastafa21 said:
It's objectively the best, no contest. Anyone who says otherwise has bad taste. Episode 19 is the best episode in anime history. All other anime this year have either been disappointing or mediocre.
Objectively a CRINGEWORTHY comment.
Aug 29, 2019 6:17 AM

May 2015
we have vinland saga,blade of the immortal,mob psycho 2,sarazanmai and ginga eiyuu densetsu remake this year so nope,but kimetsu is in my top 5 shonen ever,next season will be much better.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.