Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2019 7:59 PM
Feb 2017
I've watched a lot of anime over the years and have found myself unable to decide what to watch. I've been keeping up with the recent releases over the years but can't help feeling like I've missed out on some "hidden gems". What are your guy's favorite anime that you feel everyone should watch? As far as genre goes, I like everything except shows purely based on comedy{I don't mind comedy in a show}, I like comedy, but the comedy in anime doesn't do much for me, because for me reading something funny isn't nearly as funny as hearing it from someone{i don't speak japanase}. Other than that I don't really care as long as the story and preferably visuals (no anime from the '80s, except Akira) are good. Don't take the anime currently on my list as all the anime I've watched, it's extremely outdated and would take ages to mark down all the anime I've seen.

PS: Most of the mainstream popular anime (Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, HunterxHunter,etc} I've already seen. I'm looking for hidden gems, not one punch man. Thanks, Guys!

Since apparently I need to clarify, no hentai, thanks.
Lvl1PidgeyAug 13, 2019 8:34 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2019 8:01 PM

May 2018
Boku no Pico, this is the greatest anime ever created. (You must watch it)
[/center]
Aug 13, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2018
I'll give you a couple that are more on the cult following status: Monster, Great Teacher Onizuka, Initial D and Kaiji
What a beautiful Duwang
Aug 13, 2019 8:11 PM

Sep 2018
Here are some of my personal favorites that I think can meet your criteria.

Attack on Titan - According to your list, you don't have it on there, so I'm going to assume that you haven't seen it. Anyway, it's a story-driven series with some of the best CG work you'll see in an anime (although there are some questionable moments), a kickass OST, and a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat most of the time.

Steins;Gate - It's very hard to avoid this series if you go anywhere on this site, and for good reason. Has some of the best character chemistry you'll see in an anime, along with a story that will make you laugh, cry, shocked, and other emotions that I can't describe currently.

Kill la Kill - A silly, action-packed story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and is easy to get into. Nice visuals and OST, and a guaranteed good time every time you watch this show.

Also, you mentioned One Punch Man, but there's also Mob Psycho 100 that I think you'll enjoy. It's made by the same creator, and if you liked that, then you should try this out. Godly animation and truly likable characters will make this one hell of an experience.

Also Boku no Pico is a good watch. Recommend it wholeheartedly 11/10
fitemeillrekuAug 13, 2019 8:15 PM
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Aug 13, 2019 8:14 PM

Oct 2017
Golden Kamuy is pretty new and fairly obscure. If you can stomach some icky cg every now and then, you'll be treated to a funny but violent "spaghetti western" set in Hokkaido during the Russo-Japanese War. It's an action thriller, historical documentary and cooking show all in one. Sounds weird but it's a great watch, and season 3 is on the way!
Aug 13, 2019 8:23 PM
Feb 2017
fitemeillreku said:

Attack on Titan - According to your list, you don't have it on there, so I'm going to assume that you haven't seen it. Anyway, it's a story-driven series with some of the best CG work you'll see in an anime (although there are some questionable moments), a kickass OST, and a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat most of the time.

Steins;Gate - It's very hard to avoid this series if you go anywhere on this site, and for good reason. Has some of the best character chemistry you'll see in an anime, along with a story that will make you laugh, cry, shocked, and other emotions that I can't describe currently.

Kill la Kill - A silly, action-packed story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and is easy to get into. Nice visuals and OST, and a guaranteed good time every time you watch this show.

Also, you mentioned One Punch Man, but there's also Mob Psycho 100 that I think you'll enjoy. It's made by the same creator, and if you liked that, then you should try this out. Godly animation and truly likable characters will make this one hell of an experience.

I've seen Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill but haven't watched Steins:Gate. Tbh I've watched the first 2 episodes and got bored. I think I'll give it another try because I've heard so many good things about it and psychological anime are my favorite.
Lvl1PidgeyAug 13, 2019 8:28 PM
Aug 13, 2019 8:25 PM
Feb 2017
Dolabella said:
Golden Kamuy is pretty new and fairly obscure. If you can stomach some icky cg every now and then, you'll be treated to a funny but violent "spaghetti western" set in Hokkaido during the Russo-Japanese War. It's an action thriller, historical documentary and cooking show all in one. Sounds weird but it's a great watch, and season 3 is on the way!

I've actually seen part of Golden Kamuy and enjoyed what I watched, somewhere down the line I dropped it and forgot about it but I think I'll pick it back up. Thanks for the recommendation!
Aug 13, 2019 8:25 PM
Feb 2019
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

It's one of the funniest anime I've ever seen. And the comedy isn't childish or dumb, it's brilliant, influential to the plot and unpredictable. A "must-watch" comedy recommendation from me.
AnnyxtophelesAug 13, 2019 8:37 PM
Aug 13, 2019 8:31 PM
Jan 2018
Can anyone recommend me ones that are complete, recent and has the mc either starting of weak and getting op or just starts of by being super op
Aug 13, 2019 8:31 PM

Oct 2014
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex / Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Pick your poison.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 13, 2019 8:32 PM

Nov 2017
You must watch March comes in like a Lion , I think it had an impact on my life because it shows the struggle in life and they have lots of solutions for it . They have made anime based on life problems and how to face them also it has its unique art style so it's fun to watch

♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠

♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥
Aug 13, 2019 8:34 PM
Feb 2016
sshk1234 said:
Can anyone recommend me ones that are complete, recent and has the mc either starting of weak and getting op or just starts of by being super op

The Rising of Shield Hero is a good one.
Aug 13, 2019 8:35 PM

Sep 2018
"Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun" is very good!

Also "Grand Blue" is one of the funniest anime/manga I have ever seen/read, but you have to have fairly low brow humor to really enjoy it!

If you haven't seen "Chihayafuru" then WATCH IT! One of my favorite anime all time with an all-star VA cast and an interesting premise.

Other potential shows that are great, but under watched are "Silver Spoon", "Mushishi", "Saiki Kusuo", "Hibike Euphonium", etc.

Feel free to take a look at my list for anything scored above an 8
Blanks.
Aug 13, 2019 8:37 PM

Aug 2018
Shit if everyone is going to cheat and say more than 1 I might as well too. I say watch Great Teacher Onizuka and High Score Girl.

GTO: Funny, Vulgar, and has a plot so I wouldn't consider it that much a SoL. I've yet to encouter a main character that is so much fun to see live whether it be moral or immoral, fun or boring. Onizuka just makes the anime great by existing and the side characters all feel relevant to the story to me.
High Score Girl: Feels good vibes, great music, and I like the art but that highly depends on the person cause most CGI is disgusting.
Baseball is the new game.
Aug 13, 2019 8:39 PM

Nov 2016
If you enjoy psychological horror thriller, you'll enjoy Higurashi. It has two seasons (Higurashi and Higurashi Kai), with both seasons having a different kind of theme. I won't spoil anything, but the Higurashi series has godlike writing, especially in Higurashi Kai.

I consider Higurashi Kai to be my favourite anime of all time. There's a third season which is an OVA, but it's not important or part of the main story.
Don't question my antics.
Aug 13, 2019 8:41 PM

Jun 2015
Try Golden Kamuy. It's a show that mixes action, adventure, mistery and comedy and manages to excel at each of those. It has a way of showing the most f****d up stuff imaginable and turning them into jokes, which baffles me in how effective it is. It has THE funniest scene in anime history on season 2, and probably many runner-ups too.
It was overlooked by most people (me included) when it first aired because of the wonky animation on the first few episodes, but that improves almost imediately (and it wasn't even that bad to begin with). It's one of the best anime I've watched recently, and there's a confirmed 3rd season in the works.
AnotherGuyAug 13, 2019 8:56 PM
Aug 13, 2019 8:46 PM

Aug 2018
I thought all of these were pretty solid. The genres vary.
-Death Parade
-Black Lagoon
-Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Made in Abyss
-Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Aug 13, 2019 8:49 PM

Aug 2018
sshk1234 said:

That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime or Overlord might fit what you're looking for.
Aug 13, 2019 8:54 PM

Apr 2015
My favorite anime is Gintama so that's my #1 must watch, if you're up to watch hundreds of episodes. There's a lot of comedy and it can get pretty weird sometimes but there's also great action and drama episodes.

The monogatari series is also one of my favorite anime. The animation is amazing and the story too.

There's also Soul Eater, I honestly haven't watched it in a long time but I remember loving watching every episode.

I'd also recommend every other anime in my favorites list, except maybe Nichijou since it's purely a comedy anime.
Aug 13, 2019 8:56 PM
Jan 2018
Anohana
Made In Abyss
Symphogear
K-on
Aug 13, 2019 8:58 PM
Mar 2018
Anything I've given a 10 and anything in my favorites list.
But to name a specific anime, I overwhelmingly recommend Maison Ikkoku
Aug 13, 2019 8:58 PM

Aug 2015
Oh wow a must watch show, huh? Well, time to pull out the list of anime I have rewatched so many times, I’ve lost count.

Spirited Away: alright so the premise sounds weird, I know, but if you can look past it, the best feel good, adventure, fantasy kind of movie you could get. It’s not sappy with unnecessary or forced character development. The characters are likable and aren’t just moving images with two brain cells. It’s a movie so even if you don’t like it, it was only about 2 hours long. Bonus: Studio Ghibli knows how to deliver.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: I have seen this so many times, I can recite you episodes. This piece is hilarious and you just don’t get this type of humor often. I don’t even know how or when I started rewatching this almost annually but I’ve now seen it about 10 times already. The comedy doesn’t get old and all the characters have great chemistry with each other.

Kon Satoshi Movies: alright, big fan. Just saw his Sennen Joyuu in theaters and, wow, it was so good. I definitely do think you should check out all of the works he has done. I suggest you watch the movies in the order they were released, just to see the different styles of storytelling he employs in each of his films. I personally believe Perfect Blue is the best thriller, horror, psychological anime movie to watch. Paprika, on the other hand, for me was quite a disappointment.

Numerous other secret gems but I’ll keep this post short, for now.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Aug 13, 2019 9:10 PM
Nov 2017
Lvl1Pidgey said:
fitemeillreku said:

I've seen Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill but haven't watched Steins:Gate. Tbh I've watched the first 2 episodes and got bored. I think I'll give it another try because I've heard so many good things about it and psychological anime are my favorite.

Don't worry, Steins Gate will be really good around episode 11 or 12, and the beginning is not just a random episode, because if you revisit it/rewatch it, the beginning of the episode is so good.
Aug 13, 2019 9:16 PM
Feb 2017
Thank you all for the recommendations so far, I've already created a list with anime you guys have suggested, this should tide me over for a while. Feel free to keep posting as I will probably come back to this post when I've run out of anime again ( I binge watch like crazy), and I'm sure other people will stumble upon this thread looking for the same thing I was. Once again, thank you all!
Aug 13, 2019 9:19 PM
Jul 2019
Tsurezure Children: short stories about different couples at different stages of their relationships. Short episodes and fun little series to watch.
Aug 13, 2019 9:20 PM

Aug 2019
Aug 13, 2019 11:32 PM

Mar 2018
Shinsekai Yori: Sci-fi, Coming of Age Dystopian.

Made in Abyss: A girl who finds a humanoid robot and descends with him into the Abyss.
•Sequel movie in 2020

A Place Further Than The Universe: You follow the journey of girls who want to go to Antarctica.

Shirobako: The story takes place in the world of the Japanese animation industry.
•Sequel movie in 2020

NagiAsu: A group of young people living in the sea (romance).
ArthurRegAug 13, 2019 11:53 PM
Aug 13, 2019 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
That's a pretty hard one. Especially considering how varied anime can be. I'll give a few based on genre though. (Disclaimer: Along with a few popular must watches, I'm also gonna plug some personal favorites.)

Comedy: Nichijou

Horror/Thriller: Higurashi
(first season is psychological horror mostly, second season is more mystery/thriller.)

Romance: Toradora or Bloom into You.
(I'm super bias on the second one. It's my favorite love story ever.)

Slice of Life: Girls Last Tour (I've heard Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are must watches too, but I haven't seen them.)

Music: K-ON

Adventure (set in the real world): A Place Further Than the Universe
Adventure (more fantastical): Made in Abyss

I'd also say at least one popular older battle shounen and one popular new one. Since those are often talked about. Like say... Bleach and BNMHA.
removed-userAug 13, 2019 11:37 PM
Aug 13, 2019 11:37 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Always been Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica for me
Aug 13, 2019 11:37 PM

Apr 2015
Pingu in the City

Why? N O O T N O O T, that's why. Also, it's a universal comedy because you don't have to understand the language.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 13, 2019 11:40 PM

Apr 2017
If you haven't seen it yet I recommend Mushishi. It's a very intriguing and spiritual SoL series set in medieval Japan containing beings called Mushi that live along with humans, though most humans can't perceive them. Watching this show was a very transcending experience for me, so I recommend everyone who outright doesn't hate slow episodic shows to give it a try.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 13, 2019 11:58 PM

Jun 2019
The pretentious list:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion

-Legend of the Galactic Heroes

-Ping Pong

-Welcome to the NHK

-Tatami Galaxy

-Monster

-Texhnolyze

-Serial Experiments Lain

-Perfect Blue

-Cowboy Bebop

-Nausicaa

-Eromanga Sensei
Aug 13, 2019 11:59 PM

Mar 2012
Well, from looking at your list...

Steins;Gate - I’m mostly referring to the 2011 series, not so much Steins;Gate 0 that came out last year. Definitely one of, if not, the best sci-fi series I’ve ever watched.

Shinsekai Yori - This one is probably a little more dark than what you’re accustomed to...and there’s a particular...thing that happens around episode 8 that turned a lot of people away...but trust me when I say this, easily one of the best mystery anime and anime period that I’ve ever watched.

Clannad: After Story - I know Clannad is on your “plan to watch” list, but add After Story right now. Even if you think Clannad is just some run-of-the-mill VN style romantic comedy, let me assure you nothing can prepare you for the emotional rollercoaster that is Clannad: After Story. I’d say it has three or four of the most heart wrenching moments I’ve ever seen in an anime series. Speaking of heart wrenching...

Ano Hana (it’s actually got a really long name, but everyone just calls it Ano Hana) - One of the saddest and inspiring anime I’ve ever watched. It was seriously so inspiring that it got me to reach out to some of my old, close friends to reconnect. It seems like you liked Your Lie In April, so I think you’ll really like this.

Violet Evergarden - Man, I sure am introducing a lot of tearjerkers, huh? This series was just so damn moving. It was my favorite anime from 2018, but there was a close second...

A Place Further Than The Universe - I’m not always one for anime that has cute girls doing cute things, but I was honestly overwhelmed at how inspiring this series was and how much drive these girls had. I was not expecting it to be that great and I was absolutely blown away.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (including 2nd GIG) - I have to give you something a little older. GITS:SAC was the anime that SOLD me on anime. If you’re going to watch essentially what boils down to a cyberpunk cop drama, THIS is the series to watch. The cast has such damn good chemistry and it has some great action scenes as well.
Aug 14, 2019 12:04 AM

Jun 2019
Hmm, I really don't have any #1 Must Watch in the sense I would give as a recommendation because I would just then be recommending my favorites and my favorites won't necessarily be other people's favorites. I have my close top-tier favorites but they might not resonate the same way with you or you might not see the appeal, depending on show.

So if asked this question I'm tempted to commit the ultimate sin and answer with another question: What are your preferred genres? That would help to narrow it down.
Aug 14, 2019 2:40 AM

Dec 2018
1000% recommend Violet Evergarden for new weebs (but do skip if you don't feel like crying rn)

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Aug 14, 2019 6:45 AM

Feb 2010
What world do you live in where Akira is the only 80s anime with fantastic visuals? The ignorance hurts.

My picks:

Ashita no Joe
Ie Naki Ko
Rose of Versailles
Akage no Anne
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 14, 2019 8:17 AM

Mar 2012
I'd recommend Terra e...(TV) and Juuni Kokuki

If you don't mind movies and rather plain character designs then give Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni a shot, it's really good.
Aug 14, 2019 8:31 AM

Jan 2019
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru

Bakuman

Made in abyss

Ping Pong the animation

3-gatsu no lion

Aug 14, 2019 9:19 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Aug 14, 2019 10:25 AM
Mar 2016
If we are talking about completed anime then ''Psycho-pass S1''

One of the most important aspect I look forward in an anime (or any visual medium) is world building. Psycho-pass does it so well that the world itself becomes a character. And not to mention is the fantastic style, soundtrack, visuals and characters. Some of the scenes here are grotesque af and I LOVE IT. If you're interested in sci-fi then Psycho-pass is a way to go.

----------------------also
''Steins;gate'' proves how well characters and tight writing can carry a show. It is really like a roller coaster that takes a while to climb up but then the descends into madness and really pays off all that build up.....3 ep rule? fuck that shit.
Aug 14, 2019 10:39 AM

Jul 2015
Girls & Panzer
Shinsekai Yori
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken
Asobi Asobase

Aug 14, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2015
well since everyone else is giving more than one

Chihayafuru
Hanasaku Iroha
Shirobako
Hibike Euphonium
Aug 14, 2019 2:29 PM

Nov 2014
I would say Monster, but i'm starting to get tired for repeting myself so much, so I'm gonna change my answer and say Gankutsuou.
Aug 14, 2019 9:18 PM

Mar 2018
Well I'd recommend my favorites ofc but not knowing what you already watched there I'll say
- Kokoro Connect
- Binbougami, ga*
- Grand Blue*
- Youkoso Jitsuriyoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e°
- Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai
- Rokudenashi Majustu Koushi to Akashic Records°
- Chihayafuru
- Brave Story
- Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
- Saint Oniisan
- Wotaku ni Koi wa muzukashii*
- Kiznaiver
- Kappa no Coo to Natsuyasumi

For some you might wanna read the manga*/novel° after the anime

This is a bit of a longer list ^^' some aren't exactly 'Hidden Gems' but I feel like they were all pretty good so ye.. try them ^^

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 15, 2019 12:37 AM
May 2019
91 days @Lvl1Pidgey
Aug 15, 2019 6:53 AM

Aug 2014
Ctrl+F "One Outs" no results. Congrats, you now know about the greatest hidden gem ever.
Aug 15, 2019 5:14 PM
May 2019
Since i haven't seen anyone talk about some masterpieces yet I'll solve this:D

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Ping Pong the Animation-One of the truly overlooked Gems in Anime and one of mytop 3 favorite all time.
Aug 15, 2019 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
Monster . Not exactly my favorite anime but one of them, and clearly one of the best things out there. It's useless to compare it to modern anime because that kind of anime is not really made anymore, but the visuals are not that old and it's really well done. It's one of those things every fan of anime should at least try to watch once in a lifetime and you most probably won't regret it.
Aug 17, 2019 5:23 AM

Apr 2018
+1 Boku no pico

Dr. Stone (Currently Airing) An absolute masterpiece

Aug 17, 2019 7:32 AM
Aug 2018
One of my favourites animes is Barakamon, which isn´t very famous, you should give it a try
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Yesterday

6 by PlasticRobot »»
9 hours ago

» Versus is surprisingly interesting, any other manga, manhwa, or anime with similar content?

aLotQuestion_ - 9 hours ago

0 by aLotQuestion_ »»
9 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - Apr 15

4 by monke_guy »»
Today, 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.