Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think about modern smart phones?

New
Aug 12, 2019 9:36 PM

May 2017
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on phones in general.

What pisses you off? What makes you so angry that it makes you want to cause a mass shooting?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2019 9:43 PM

Feb 2019
Just wish they were a bit cheaper tbh, lol....
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Aug 12, 2019 9:44 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
There should be more regulations. Being able to check the map, weather, etc. as well as using the browser features is very convenient but 95% of the content in the app store shouldn't exist in my opinion. Many apps are designed in a way that is damaging your mental health and there might be a link between them and certain incidents.

Mobile games are pretty awful despite gaining popularity, you should stay away from most of them. Very few exceptions.

New models are extremely expensive considering how minor the upgrades are. Old devices become too slow or unusable in just a couple of years.
149597871Aug 12, 2019 9:54 PM
Aug 12, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2018
Ah, i loved the mass shooting joke. Makes you edgy and cool.

I don't own a smartphone, cuz i don't have any interest in them. Will be getting one soon though because i guess it's a problem for my job that i don't own a phone. Overall, i think they're a conversation killer that doesn't do anyone any good.
Aug 12, 2019 10:21 PM

Nov 2008
Rather watch movies with a 65+ inch TV and big speakers.

Rather listen to music with a dedicated portable music player or, better yet, my computer speakers.

Rather take photos with an SLR camera or at least a point and shoot camera with a retractable aperture and decently sized lenses.

Rather play games on my Switch or PC.

Rather write in my pocket notepad.

And no one asks for my number.

Aug 12, 2019 11:14 PM

Jan 2014
They're fine but i mean......i'm not gonna buy every new model of it for sure
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 12, 2019 11:16 PM

Mar 2019
I guess the only complaint I have is the ones that start breaking down after you've had them for only a year. I really feel like a phone should last longer than that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2019 11:18 PM

Oct 2010
I only have a hand-me-down samsung, the battery is shit, I use it to browse the net, listening to crappy music and use it as a wake-up clock. I think they are over rated.
Aug 13, 2019 1:14 AM

Oct 2016
Smartphones are portable botnets and are a threat to personal privacy. I'd avoid them if I could, but they've become practically mandatory
Aug 13, 2019 1:14 AM
May 2018
I had one but I gave it to my sister very soon - that was almost 10 years ago.

Smartphones are great, and all, but I only need a phone to make a call, send a message, see what time it is, and write a memo, or two.

Plus I like the feel of buttons more than touchscreen.

For years now, I've been using Samsung GT E1200I.

Aug 13, 2019 1:39 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I was really against getting a smartphone for the longest time. Everything was starting to be smartphone focused and I wasn't able to catch up even if I wanted to. Eventually, my parents switched phone companies altogether and the plan required us to get smartphones for the plan they chose.
I was really eh about it for maybe a whole year, then I got over it.
BUT I still used my flip phone (Cellty) as an alarm and to check the time even if my smartphone is right next to it or even closer. I don't trust my smartphone (Cellty 2.whatever) a lot of the time...

Also, I feel like it's still easy to get left behind when it comes to smartphones. You can be minding your business, playing a phone game, and suddenly the phone game updates and makes it so you can't play the game until you get a newer phone. Big 'ol difference from consoles or other handhelds where usually you can play a game for the rest of your game as long as you have the game and your system. I dunno, I feel like, in a way, things are becoming so much more temporary than they used to be.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 13, 2019 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
I'm happy with my little smartphone but I don't like the way the market is trying to push towards ridiculous contracts.

My friend pays like £70 a month for a phone which I think is crazy and more people are getting longer contracts say 3 years or more. Could get so many better things for that price ;-;
Aug 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Sep 2018
Hate them, they turn people into hunchback phombies completely oblivious to the world around them.
If I say any more, I will be in old man yells at cloud territory.
Aug 13, 2019 1:57 AM

May 2014
I prefer standard mobile phones with buttons than a big breakable smart phone screen.
Aug 13, 2019 2:08 AM

Jul 2015
donot like touch screen imo
prefer smaller phon w/ dial pad
Aug 13, 2019 4:25 AM

Feb 2015
They have become powerful over the years that you can now watch HD videos with ease and play not just 2D games.

I'd have a smartphone out of necessity, though. Such circumstances on which our society have become dependent on them for fast communication and the mobility you get that's hardly comparable to a laptop makes it even more compelling.
Aug 13, 2019 5:04 AM

Jan 2018
Smartphone is the most easiest way to, such as allowing you to access to the internet, watching movies, browsing something on the map, and interact with the people on message board chat or on social media.

Even good point is that there are of Japanese-produced smartphone games being made in Japan (both exclusive or released internationally). Also, smartphone games made in Japan is becoming more of a norm right now and the console selling in Japan under the pressure of being in decline of use.

Even Pokemon games gets a lot of smartphone game treatment. I still kinda wish if i had an smarthpone whose battery is high and powerful, my family own a smartphone that is good weak and poor. I prefer Samsung because of the my obessions with K-Pop, K-Dramas and Korean culture stuff.
Aug 13, 2019 5:06 AM

Jun 2019
Love them, my phone is almost all I use for communication, browsing, video viewing, etc. Rarely use a computer these days.

Aug 13, 2019 5:40 AM

Apr 2015
Knowing there are people who try to defend removing the headphone jack embarrasses me.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Aug 13, 2019 5:52 AM

Jun 2014
I've always been against cell phones, as they have turned society into zombies, but I got one earlier this year for the first time in my life, only because my grandfather is paying the bill.

The camera in it is half decent, but still not quite as good as my old Canon Powershot that I bought back in the mid-2000s. Besides taking some pictures, I mainly only use my phone for the following:

- Making and receiving calls
- Voice chatting/Video chatting on Discord

And that's pretty much it. I never use the browser, and I never text, as I'm against ever texting.

Aug 13, 2019 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
I think their battery could last longer and they could live longer.
No hipster-whining about modern technology from my side, sorry.
Aug 13, 2019 8:40 AM

Mar 2019
149597871 said:
There should be more regulations. Being able to check the map, weather, etc. as well as using the browser features is very convenient but 95% of the content in the app store shouldn't exist in my opinion. Many apps are designed in a way that is damaging your mental health and there might be a link between them and certain incidents.
As in you are unironically advocating the nanny state that would tell a man what he can and cannot play on his own mobile phone?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 13, 2019 9:12 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Sphinxter said:
149597871 said:
As in you are unironically advocating the nanny state that would tell a man what he can and cannot play on his own mobile phone?

It's not that simple. Certain practices that people think should not be legal considering their nature are applied to a huge portion of the apps and it's becoming the new normal/standard.

I'm not a fan of censoring everything. In fact you can go find a hypnosis program for yourself on the web or go and lose all your money to some obvious scam and I wouldn't stop you, because you are an adult who is most likely realizing what he is doing.

That's definitely not the case here. Many developers are designing their apps in a way that affects the subconsciousness of the user in a malicious way without letting him know about it and it's all for the sake of increasing their own profit.

You can keep playing your Candy Crush, Clash of Clans and whatever, but if you don't address these issues they are only going to get worse and worse until we reach the point where nobody will ever bother making a normal app anymore when he can create one of these addicting virtual slot machines instead. Age is also a huge problem as many of them say it's okay for kids age 3+ to play them.
Aug 13, 2019 10:46 AM

Apr 2012
Too many features I rarely use, too expensive and the battery life is iffy. I mainly use mine for stuff like gps, Azur Lane, FGO and some social media. I've been using the same phone for more than 2 years now and see no point in updating.
Aug 13, 2019 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
I wish they didn't exist altogether.
Aug 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Jun 2016
I mostly use mine as a GPS because fuck having to use paper maps like the old days and to play Girls Frontline and phonepost on 4chan at work.
Aug 13, 2019 6:10 PM
Nov 2018
I think they are smarter than me and my lecturers.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Aug 13, 2019 6:54 PM

Jun 2019
I can't stand the fact that smartphones only started coming out in 2007 but the collective memory of society is like that of a goldfish so everyone talks as if they've been around literally forever and can't fathom how someone can possibly manage existence on Earth without one, as if it's so radical and foreign when most of my time going through school no one had smartphones and most didn't even have regular cellphones and it was simply just fine.

I don't now, nor have I ever owned a smartphone, because I'm not interested in what it has to offer or the culture surrounding it. I've only owned two cellphones in my life including the current one. The first one I didn't get until after I graduated high school and would still have if I hadn't lost it in a remote area. The second one I got in 2012 and is still the same one I have today, a Samsung Gusto II "flip" phone.

I can make calls, receive calls, and receive and check voicemail, which is all I need out of a phone.

They've become so ubiquitous that even my great aunt in her mid 80s has one. My mom is the only other person I know in real life who doesn't. I've been offered one for practically peanuts or completely free many times by the telecom companies, parents, state plans, etc., but I just feel absolutely no desire or need for it and don't see how it would enhance my life.

What will it add to my life that I actually want? No one can ever answer that.

I also refuse to ever text message. If the phenomenon of smartphones and text messaging could vanish from the planet forever with a snap of my fingers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
WatchTillTandavaAug 13, 2019 7:10 PM
Aug 13, 2019 7:00 PM

Feb 2019
I have an iPhone that was given to me by my dad a couple of years back, but lately I haven't used it much, specially after I left facebook, instagram and twitter for good. I even feel less anxious since I made that decision and distanced myself from social media and excessive phone usage. So yeah, I think smartphones take a toll on our mental health.
Aug 13, 2019 7:36 PM

Aug 2009

Aug 13, 2019 7:47 PM

Mar 2008
The only problem I have is the shift to non replacable batteries and how they make it hard to change any other part. Creates a lot of waste. That and how many apps and in some cases the operating system itself has too many privacy intrusions.
Aug 13, 2019 7:50 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
Iphones are a scam. bought the XR as my first Iphone. So basic and nothing innovative about it. Never buying an IPhone again. After this one dies, im switching back to android. camera quality doesn't mean shit if you only take dick pics anyway.
Aug 13, 2019 7:56 PM

Nov 2009
why did you add mass shooting at the end for?? o.O

I've only had a smart phone for like 2 years and I'm 29 going on 30 LOL so I dont have much experience with them. I think the one thing that makes me angry about them is they're expensive and break easily.
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Aug 13, 2019 8:45 PM

Jun 2008
I literally don’t remember how I survived without my smartphone before...

And I’m not even saying that ironically or joking or anything.

I rely Sooooooooooooo much on my smartphone for a ton of things (many of them essential) I literally don’t remember what I used to do in various situations BEFORE Smartphones!
Aug 13, 2019 9:08 PM

Jun 2008
FacelessVixen said:

NICE!!!!

Here’s mine.

The greatest of all time deserves a place on my phone.
Aug 13, 2019 9:39 PM

Aug 2015
My fucking iPhone battery pisses me the fuck off. Sometimes it just turns off and fucking dies while I'm taking a photo.

Aug 13, 2019 9:52 PM

Jan 2018
As long as you don't live in the US, having a smartphone in this day and age is REALLY convenient.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Aug 13, 2019 10:29 PM

Mar 2008
Wavey_Nooby said:
Iphones are a scam. bought the XR as my first Iphone. So basic and nothing innovative about it. Never buying an IPhone again. After this one dies, im switching back to android. camera quality doesn't mean shit if you only take dick pics anyway.

Maybe if you have an ugly dick it wouldn't matter and poor quality would even be preferred in such a case.
Aug 14, 2019 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
They are fine I guess. Except for maybe the ridiculous price.

I also don't see the problems with text messages since a lot of idiots ppl I know irl like to send important information at the very last minute or during nighttime, and it would be troublesome to relay information if there's no text message function.
Aug 14, 2019 2:54 AM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
traed said:
Wavey_Nooby said:

Maybe if you have an ugly dick it wouldn't matter and poor quality would even be preferred in such a case.
Haha, I don't know what an ugly dick is supposed to look like?
Aug 14, 2019 3:00 AM

Aug 2017
they're necessary to modern society, and i don't think me or many people could handle without it. however, i would prefer for them to take up less of a place in society, and for more people to use pc's for example because a decent one is better in everyway lol
Aug 14, 2019 3:14 AM

Aug 2018
They are very comfortable to use and have got tons of functionalities.

I don't even use computers anymore thanks to them.
Aug 14, 2019 5:07 AM

Jan 2018
Had a blackout, forgot what I was going to say in this thread smh. I think something like I like small smartphone and I hate that the price is ridiculous which is obviously a rip-off but those who are not tech savvy are bound to get roped into spending a fortune for features that they don't even need. It's more like a social status I think but not that I care what others think and I personally carry a dictionary instead of holding a phone.

Aug 14, 2019 5:29 AM

Jul 2015
I wish I didn’t have to rely on it so much lol
Aug 15, 2019 10:37 AM

Oct 2017
They at least work way better than any general-use computer ever could.
The only reason one would break within a year or two is if you're careless with them.
Aug 15, 2019 10:56 AM

Apr 2015
Price barrier aside, smartphones are just like a PC, an investment, you either get something lower-mid range that lasts you for a bit or something higher end that's more future proof. They're a great all-in-one device that makes simple things much better and easier to handle in day-to-day life, whether we like it or not and whether some of us depend on it more than others.
Aug 15, 2019 11:05 AM
May 2019
They are awesome much better then the old ones.
Future > Past deal with it.

XstasyAug 15, 2019 11:16 AM
Aug 15, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
I can't stand the fact that smartphones only started coming out in 2007 but the collective memory of society is like that of a goldfish so everyone talks as if they've been around literally forever and can't fathom how someone can possibly manage existence on Earth without one, as if it's so radical and foreign when most of my time going through school no one had smartphones and most didn't even have regular cellphones and it was simply just fine.

I don't now, nor have I ever owned a smartphone, because I'm not interested in what it has to offer or the culture surrounding it. I've only owned two cellphones in my life including the current one. The first one I didn't get until after I graduated high school and would still have if I hadn't lost it in a remote area. The second one I got in 2012 and is still the same one I have today, a Samsung Gusto II "flip" phone.

I can make calls, receive calls, and receive and check voicemail, which is all I need out of a phone.

They've become so ubiquitous that even my great aunt in her mid 80s has one. My mom is the only other person I know in real life who doesn't. I've been offered one for practically peanuts or completely free many times by the telecom companies, parents, state plans, etc., but I just feel absolutely no desire or need for it and don't see how it would enhance my life.

What will it add to my life that I actually want? No one can ever answer that.

I also refuse to ever text message. If the phenomenon of smartphones and text messaging could vanish from the planet forever with a snap of my fingers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Your smartphone does pretty much everything your pc can but in a smaller form-factor??? What's so hard to understand???????
Aug 15, 2019 11:48 AM

Jun 2019
nuttygardentree said:
What's so hard to understand???????

What it does is not what's hard to understand. Why everyone seems to think I "need" one when I'm perfectly happy and content with my laptop PC at home is.
Aug 15, 2019 1:00 PM

Nov 2011
smartphones are convenient. they are pretty decent at taking photos - not comparable to professional cameras, obviously, but good enough for the casual photo when you are traveling.
you can use them as portable music player while browsing a website or reading manga on the go.
you can use them as gps navigators, and the maps and directions tend to be at least as good as standalone gps navigators. you can quickly check the definition of a word of a foreign language using a dictionary app. you can use flash cards to help learn new things. if the electricity goes out and there is no wifi / etherner connection, you can still use the cellular data to check what happened.

the biggest limitation is the screen size: it is too small to use word processing software (evn though those are available), and for serious programming, statistical or engineering work, you would still need a laptop or desktop pc.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it a good idea to stay relatively anonymous online?

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

14 by Citrone39 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

16 by LightWorker »»
15 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

35 by whitebeartigtig »»
20 minutes ago

Sticky: » General Advice Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Dec 8, 2013

9877 by anton122 »»
45 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

654 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.