Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion

Aug 16, 1:14 PM

@vhagar8 Omg, you said Thorfinn wanting revenge is poor characterization and that it doesn't make sense. Me having poor comprehension? LOOK BACK AT YOUR REPLIES. It's not my fault your criticism is all over the place because you never even grasped what the story is about. At first you didn't even understand anything about the Vikings beliefs and now you're saying a little child not abiding its rules when his dad sacrificed his life to save him and everyone else is "poorly delivered"? I can't be bothered you just aren't able to appreciate complex character writing fucking hell dude. Please in what universe do people hate a man who just saved not only their own life but also their families. Did you not see the reaction of the young men and Ericson? Are they poorly handled as well? OR FUCKING HUMANE CHARACTERS. THEY WENT WITH THORS BELIEVING THEY WERE THE SHIT, AND GOT FACED WITH REALITY. THEY WEREN'T REAL SAVAGE VIKINGS ESPECIALLY NOT A FUCKING 6 YR OLD

And what is this? Humans can't "sense" something? Do you lack any self-awareness or are you just being ridiculous for fun ? You also fail to understand that Thors had to die no matter what otherwise his village would get slaughtered instead.

You admit again you didn't pay any attention and just keep talking out your ass. Thors plan was to leave everyone behind with Ericson at the place where they got ambushed so they could go back to their village.

I'll just leave it as this, you either like how Thorfinn's understanding of the world has been completely broken or just want him to be a one dimensional edgelord.

Aug 16, 1:20 PM

nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:

1-not killing other for protecting the ones u love means not valuing the life of the ones u love. But we're getting a little off-track here, my initial purpose wasn't to question the manga message
2-how the fuck is he supposed to know that? He literally broke part of his promise before his eyes, what tells him he'd keep the other part if he accepted to die
3 & 4 I'm tired to explain why he's a coward and that people should stop projecting their values on other societies
Lmao "dumb viking" basically means "actual viking" in your book.
his promise was to save the others,askeladd respected the promise he even said to ari when he attacked him to not waste his life because thors was a greater man then all of them combined,and he didn't kill anyone,honor to vikings is the most important thing.
3-4 that vikings see him as a coward because he deserted it's true but that's not the point,that shows that he isn't a coward because he's protecting his family and village,knowing that means to be killed for desertion,he was never a coward, and btw the only one that is projecting his values on this manga is you,that think this manga has poor characterization because you think differently of the characters values.

"Yes vikings see him as a coward, but he's not a coward in my heart" ahahahaahahah, stop with all this thors fanboying, I don't give a shit how great of a man u think he is, thatìs not relevant for this discussion at all.
And askeladd's promise was withdraw immediately if thors won the duel. Killing thors was breaking his promise already. And u know that as well beacuse that's what supposedly triggered thorfinn stupid honor-revenge sentiment or whatever. Let's end this here, it seems ur out of arguments and ur getting desperate.

Aug 16, 1:26 PM

Esquirtit said:
@vhagar8 Omg, you said Thorfinn wanting revenge is poor characterization and that it doesn't make sense. Me having poor comprehension? LOOK BACK AT YOUR REPLIES. It's not my fault your criticism is all over the place because you never even grasped what the story is about. At first you didn't even understand anything about the Vikings beliefs and now you're saying a little child not abiding its rules when his dad sacrificed his life to save him and everyone else is "poorly delivered"? I can't be bothered you just aren't able to appreciate complex character writing fucking hell dude. Please in what universe do people hate a man who just saved not only their own life but also their families. Did you not see the reaction of the young men and Ericson? Are they poorly handled as well? OR FUCKING HUMANE CHARACTERS. THEY WENT WITH THORS BELIEVING THEY WERE THE SHIT, AND GOT FACED WITH REALITY. THEY WEREN'T REAL SAVAGE VIKINGS ESPECIALLY NOT A FUCKING 6 YR OLD

And what is this? Humans can't "sense" something? Do you lack any self-awareness or are you just being ridiculous for fun ? You also fail to understand that Thors had to die no matter what otherwise his village would get slaughtered instead.

You admit again you didn't pay any attention and just keep talking out your ass. Thors plan was to leave everyone behind with Ericson at the place where they got ambushed so they could go back to their village.

I'll just leave it as this, you either like how Thorfinn's understanding of the world has been completely broken or just want him to be a one dimensional edgelord.

I tried to explain this again to u but it seems you're beyond help.
Sure I'm not able to appreciate these "complex" characters.
Now stop quoting me I'm tired of talking to retards.

Aug 16, 1:28 PM

vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:
his promise was to save the others,askeladd respected the promise he even said to ari when he attacked him to not waste his life because thors was a greater man then all of them combined,and he didn't kill anyone,honor to vikings is the most important thing.
3-4 that vikings see him as a coward because he deserted it's true but that's not the point,that shows that he isn't a coward because he's protecting his family and village,knowing that means to be killed for desertion,he was never a coward, and btw the only one that is projecting his values on this manga is you,that think this manga has poor characterization because you think differently of the characters values.

"Yes vikings see him as a coward, but he's not a coward in my heart" ahahahaahahah, stop with all this thors fanboying, I don't give a shit how great of a man u think he is, thatìs not relevant for this discussion at all.
And askeladd's promise was withdraw immediately if thors won the duel. Killing thors was breaking his promise already. And u know that as well beacuse that's what supposedly triggered thorfinn stupid honor-revenge sentiment or whatever. Let's end this here, it seems ur out of arguments and ur getting desperate.
it's not that i think he isn't a coward he fucking showed it with his actions,others vikings don't know him,all the village abitants respect him.

When bjorn took thorfinn as hostage askeladd was sad and disappointed,he didn't want to do it,he wanted to respect his promise.,that shows that he really respected thors.

Aug 16, 1:35 PM

The episode was good but It feels to me that the fight animation wasn't that good in some points.

Aug 16, 1:49 PM

nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:

it's not that i think he isn't a coward he fucking showed it with his actions,others vikings don't know him,all the village abitants respect him.

When bjorn took thorfinn as hostage askeladd was sad and disappointed,he didn't want to do it,he wanted to respect his promise.,that shows that he really respected thors.

Shit, I haven't really notice till this point. Thanks for pointing out how bad of a character askeladd is as well. He kills people as a living but he respects thors for not killing people, what a joke of a characterization lmao.
Anyway ok, he might have had a slightly better chance of his plan succeeding that I thought. That doesn't change the grand scheme of things too much. What I proposed is still a safer route imo. But whatever, I'm genuinely tired of this, if u still think thorfinn, thors and whoever else are great characters after all the discussions, so be it, have fun watching this for me as well.

Aug 16, 2:03 PM

vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

Shit, I haven't really notice till this point. Thanks for pointing out how bad of a character askeladd is as well. He kills people as a living but he respects thors for not killing people, what a joke of a characterization lmao.
Anyway ok, he might have had a slightly better chance of his plan succeeding that I thought. That doesn't change the grand scheme of things too much. What I proposed is still a safer route imo. But whatever, I'm genuinely tired of this, if u still think thorfinn, thors and whoever else are great characters after all the discussions, so be it, have fun watching this for me as well.
thats explained later why he respects him so much,when he tell his past,he has a goal.
Modified by nanashi796, Aug 16, 2:14 PM

Aug 16, 2:30 PM
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

He doesn't respect Thors for NOT killing people you imbecile. It's because he's the strongest warrior that he had ever faced and he has an immense amount of honor. Not only that, but he would give his LIFE to protect the people that he cares about. THAT'S why Askeladd asked him to BE THE LEADER - NOT TO JUST BE ANOTHER MEMBER.

THORS WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER LEADER THAN ASKELADD.

You are an idiot, a moron, a jackass, and you might also be brain dead.

Please leave this forum and never post here again.

Aug 16, 3:00 PM
I don't think it's ever implied that Askeladd respected Thors for not killing people. He found it unusual when one of his group told him that a number of his men were injured but none of them killed.

He did respect him because of the reputation that came with being the Troll of Jom though.

Aug 16, 3:16 PM
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

You gave every k-on garbage a 9, and you wanna talk about how THIS series has badly written characters? GFO you fucking faggot.

Aug 16, 3:35 PM
Tougen said:
vhagar8 said:

You gave every k-on garbage a 9, and you wanna talk about how THIS series has badly written characters? GFO you fucking faggot.

Chill dude, clearly the anime isn't for them. It's their loss if they're willing to write off an anime based on poorly-written characters after 6 episodes. Personally, you need to give it a little more time if you're going to come to that sort of conclusion.

Aug 16, 3:48 PM

Emotional episode. Finally got to the timeskip. Can't wait for the next!

Aug 16, 4:39 PM

vhagar8 said:
Esquirtit said:

You're the only retarded one here.

Aug 16, 5:11 PM

@vhagar8 Last time lol. You DO not get it. Not at all. Thorfinn wanting to avenge his father is his own will, killing Askeladd in a fair duel is in his own self-interest because he believes it will satisfy him the most. It's not the author's fault because as you can see everyone else understood it and came to their conclusions. Your way of thinking; Thorfinn wanting revenge in a fair duel is dumb because by Viking standards his dad was trash.

Are Floki and Askeladd honourable men by Viking standards? Not really, because in literally every group of people who share the same beliefs, some will defy them to serve their own. This era was dirty as fuck. You don't seem to grasp that and go so far as to project "Viking morals" onto these characters to exemplify why they are " poorly written", pretentious on a whole other level after admitting not even having a grasp of "Viking morals" while watching. You're a joke my guy. It's quite obvious all of the main cast will have some sort of individualistic views and sense of the world around them.

Aug 16, 6:06 PM

This episode bumped the score up to a 10 for me tbh, gonna have to read the manga now, I'm in love with this historic period

Aug 17, 1:44 AM

The brutality, chaos and violence is really top notch this episode!
Thorfinn is now getting good in killing! he might surpass his father but totally wrecked inside...
5/5.

Aug 17, 1:15 PM
TsukuyomiREKT said:
vhagar8 said:

You're the only retarded one here.

Probably the most contestable thing I have ever witnessed. And I have played a lot of Flag Domination.
----
Y'all, I present you!:
The brutality, chaos and violence is really top notch this episode!
5/5.

The target audience.
Re:formed

Aug 17, 6:28 PM
The action in this show is so focking retarded. First you have long drawn out sword duels with Vikings acting like Jedi Knights and now you have a kid managing to survive several years on the battlefield fighting adults with just daggers. Vinland Saga is just shonenshit with more violence and rape.

Aug 17, 11:40 PM

Why would I care about how realistic an action is in an anime. It's anime ffs, not a live action show. Anime characters will always be superhuman, even if that show was about samurais.
Modified by LalatinaDarkness, Aug 17, 11:47 PM

Aug 18, 12:20 AM

this anime growing on me maybe its because I'm watching Vikings so far I like it

Aug 18, 2:07 AM

Awwww, that is so sweet seeing Thorfinn so healthy. HE GOOD BOI!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."

Aug 18, 4:48 AM
LalatinaDarkness said:
Why would I care about how realistic an action is in an anime. It's anime ffs, not a live action show. Anime characters will always be superhuman, even if that show was about samurais.

The high-quality series which managed to produce a decent narrative and believable, not stretching beyond the constraints of "realism" action sequences, would like to have a word with y'all.
Re:formed

Aug 18, 6:49 AM

That senile old lady made a grave mistake, the english girl was the true voice of reason, they should've said the truth about thorfinn to a soldier. Now what can you do, at least he told them to run away in english too. This episode was great, love the atmosphere and the raw feelings of the characters and the raw action 5/5
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Aug 18, 10:46 PM

-Nice bloodshed in the beginning. Thorfinn's first kill was pretty intense.
-That language thing was really weird. It's always weird in anime when they say "I'm speaking _____".
-I thought Thorfinn was going to scream again at the end. It was pretty cool to see him just sigh instead.
We like saying "it's a dog eat dog world" now-a-days, but in this era of humanity, there was a lot more truth to that. I'm glad they didn't shy away from the brutality.

Aug 19, 5:45 AM
Birdsanddrugs said:
shane_nichols said:
Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.

Both are great studios. To be fair sometimes Wit studio also gets into an animation trance and makes a scene epic af like they did with a few scenes in AOT.
i just wanted to say this about ur signature: "O Kawaii Koto~"

Aug 19, 7:07 AM

I'm glad that he's much more of a warrior now, but damn, poor village. That old lady killed and then... her daughter... yeah, we all know what happens to her now.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
โ€• Lelouch Vi Britannia

Aug 19, 9:42 PM

The pain and horror of the life you leave behind in an instant with that first kill.

Aug 20, 4:46 AM

What a great episode. The climax, with the woman dissapearing, and the ED, it was perfect. It really highlights the growth of the MC.

Aug 21, 7:10 AM

Another good episode really like Askeladd Son of Olaf ,He became some weird father figure for the boy. And i love when the bad guy spare the weaker warriors life and telling him to better himself and come back because he is not worthy to by his sword yet.The boy have better himself and will become stronger . The scene at the end was really strong seeing to severe consequence of war. Also enjoys the animation it looks good

But anime i want to see Females warriors ,, There are a lot of Viking Legendary Heroines . Gudrid Thorbjarnardóttir, Freydis Eiríksdóttir , Sigrid den Stolte, Lagertha the legendery leader of the Shield Maidens feared by all men.She was also married with another women!! YES!!.The female where equal to the males and went to war with them . You have 6/10 and will not move up until you included the strong heroines!!We are extremely proud over our strong warrior females!! And they are a important part of our culture and heritage

Modified by Yuri-Crusader, Aug 21, 8:34 AM

Aug 21, 11:16 AM

On the one hand, it's really nice that there was some attenton paid to the difference in spoken languages and thus the inability to communicate right off the bat, but on the other, well, the execution could have been better if both nations didn't speak the very same one on screen. Dunno. It always feels off, but it didn't make the episode that much worse.

Thorfinn's life isn't a walk in the park, but he's trying to cope with it. Adapt to the situation. Hell, we're talking Vikings here! Then again, it was still painful to see that heartbroken old lady cry in front of him.

Apart from all I've said, that mid-air spinning attack Thorfinn did to defeat those two soldiers reminded me so much of Levi that I couldn't help but laugh XD Well played, WIT!
โ˜†

Aug 21, 11:23 PM

Thorfinn's reaction after killing for the first time was quite realistic. Really liked the way how it was portrayed.

And the scene with the old lady crying at seeing Thorfinn killing those soldiers was perfectly handled as well. I almost could feel her emotions.

Very good episode overall.
Modified by SouthRzVa, Aug 21, 11:26 PM

Aug 28, 9:41 AM

I am not disappointed, but I feel like watching berserk that doesn't have the balls to be one. At least, so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 28, 9:52 AM
Martin_Taylor said:
I am not disappointed, but I feel like watching berserk that doesn't have the balls to be one. At least, so far.

Give it some time, there are only 8 episodes so far. Though what you watched so far are flashbacks and two anime only episodes. You most likely won’t like episode 7 because that is chapter 1 in the manga, back when Vinland was a shounen
Modified by EchoAnEternity, Aug 28, 9:58 AM

Aug 31, 10:57 PM

Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

The difference is that Vinland has a good story&characters when Dr Stone is pretty pathetic on all criterias.
I don't remember him kill them so easily in the manga but I was young when I read it, so I don't know if the anime amplify actions...

CGI is bad as always.. it's the same even for Kimetsu which has a pretty good animation overall.
I don't know if you still watching this but this part was fillers and the child part was very short on the manga. If you want something more realistic (with no fight) you need to wait the second season tho.

Aug 31, 11:01 PM

HaarWyvern said:
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

The difference is that Vinland has a good story&characters when Dr Stone is pretty pathetic on all criterias.
I don't remember him kill them so easily in the manga but I was young when I read it, so I don't know if the anime amplify actions...

CGI is bad as always.. it's the same even for Kimetsu which has a pretty good animation overall.
I don't know if you still watching this but this part was fillers and the child part was very short on the manga. If you want something more realistic (with no fight) you need to wait the second season tho.

Gonna disagree with you on that one buddy. Kimetsu's CGI is stunning while this made me throw up in my mouth. Also, at least Dr. Stone is entertaining lol.

Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

Preview MangaManga Store