Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion

Aug 12, 1:34 PM

ChainxBastard said:

The funny thing is nothing you said contradicted his post.

That's why Askelaidd and his men are so dangerous and why they are sought after by the Danes in particular. To inflict as much damage as they could to England in preparation for the mass invasion to come through guerrilla tactics.

Local villages had, as shown in the show, a small group of guards to defend against local bandits and equipment for the local men and farmers to fight. We used to call them Minute Men during the Revolutionary War, a concept taken from the Europeans. Farmers during this time would be armed and to sent to battle alongside actual military combatants.

OP outlined a situation in which the Saxons had no standing army only conscript farmers, vikings had better gear because they're vikings and there were no professional English soldiers at all.

Yep, and guess what these militia men had served in said garrisons burhs along with actual huscarls several times by the end of their lifes.

Never made a battle prediction in terms of number. Did not state burhs were faultless either. I gave you an actual source by a military historian and a quote that pretty muchs sums up the consensus of contemporary literature. Let's leave it at that. This is fiction anyway.

Aug 12, 1:36 PM

Even though the anime is taking a lil different approach in storytelling than the manga, it is still almost as equal quality as the manga. Easily the best seasonal anime by a long shot and quite possibly anime of the year too, if they handle the later chapters very well-ly. Can't wait to see the glorious manliness of Askeladd animated.
elementex said:
too boring, dropped
lol
Modified by cchigu, Aug 12, 1:48 PM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, atleast should be sweet........ " - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)

Aug 12, 1:45 PM
Ryuseishun said:
elementex said:
too boring, dropped

There’s no fantasy or magic bullshit or any of those cheesy ass cardboard characters. Of course you probably won’t like it xD

Truth, if I wanted realism I would watch the history channel. Not anime.

Aug 12, 2:15 PM

Wow this episode was fantastic and dark. The kid is starting to grow on me.
All of a sudden I have a urge to play Skyrim again.

X s t a s y

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”
―Cheshire Cat

Aug 12, 2:22 PM
3/5
Would've been better without the pseudodramatic christian propaganda.
I'd really wanted to see the old hag getting hacked into pieces.
Also, the episode was a bit rushed, could have outlined the development more.

Aug 12, 2:23 PM
elementex said:
Ryuseishun said:

There’s no fantasy or magic bullshit or any of those cheesy ass cardboard characters. Of course you probably won’t like it xD

Yes, cuz every anime doens't need realism. It only needs waifu's, fanservice and generic mc's.

Aug 12, 2:48 PM

((This is FAR from realistic lol))

that aside, the only major complaint I have about what I'm watching so far is that how it seems to devalue human life. People just die left and right for the sake of AcTiOn and the fact that it's sEiNeN. Even if you just ignored how historically unrealistic it actually is to have Vikings be these psychopathic serial pillage-killers, all the constant death and killing just desensitizes you to perpetual murder and violence.

The death and killing is supposed to impactful. You can kinda tell the show's trying to sell that as part of its major themes. I get that a point of this episode was that Thorfinn himself was getting desensitized to the violence himself, but literally having entire villages casually exterminated holocaust style just desensitizes the violence to the audience itself, and what Thorfinn's becoming to be actually comes off as less of a big deal and more of an expected part of the daily cyclic episode of viking mass murder

eh that's what i think anyway

Aug 12, 2:48 PM

Really hate the fact that our cute boy started killing people just like that.

Aug 12, 2:59 PM

I feel like I say this every episode, but this show has the most predictable plot and yet it still somehow manages to keep me interested. Some of it is undoubtedly due to the great execution by the studio, and the rest is because it seems we are still in the prologue/introductory phase and that things have the potential to become much more interesting.

Thorfinn's change seemed a bit sudden to me... He goes from a feckless kid to a killing machine capable of taking down multiple adult soldiers by himself in one episode? I guess we're just supposed to assume that he grew exponentially during the timeskip and that he is so powerful because he's Thors' son, but still...

What's the difference?

Aug 12, 3:19 PM

Really hard mission to pull up by a kid who left alone in the enemies. He just do everything for his duel between askeladd. I just feel sorry about old lady tho.

Aug 12, 3:42 PM

Daemon said:
I feel like I say this every episode, but this show has the most predictable plot and yet it still somehow manages to keep me interested. Some of it is undoubtedly due to the great execution by the studio, and the rest is because it seems we are still in the prologue/introductory phase and that things have the potential to become much more interesting.

Thorfinn's change seemed a bit sudden to me... He goes from a feckless kid to a killing machine capable of taking down multiple adult soldiers by himself in one episode? I guess we're just supposed to assume that he grew exponentially during the timeskip and that he is so powerful because he's Thors' son, but still...

They actually fleshed out this back story way more than the manga. In the manga, we start with teenage Thorfinn, go through the back story up till Thors's death, and then immediately back to teenage Thorfinn. I think it's a good thing that they showed some of his growth, even if it isn't 100% necessary.

Aug 12, 3:48 PM

Mythologically said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
I guess we have different preferences for excitement , I like substance and great writing more than action.

Yeah, I definitely agree. If only Vinland had either of those.

You get enough sleep?
"There is no light for those who do not know darkness" - Takuan Sōhō

Aug 12, 3:51 PM
Could someone tell me that we will learn fate of that girl? because if not it is very possible that she was raped and I would prefer to learn that she wasn't...

Aug 12, 4:25 PM
Daemon said:

It might only be ONE episode, but its not been one day, months have passed, and he continues to train before getting his first kill, years pass before he becomes good at fighting.

Aug 12, 5:07 PM
NotFred said:
elementex said:

Yes, cuz every anime doens't need realism. It only needs waifu's, fanservice and generic mc's.

Yep, no need to mess with a winning formula in anime.

Aug 12, 6:54 PM
elementex said:
NotFred said:

Yep, no need to mess with a winning formula in anime.

You mean less-intelligent-demographics formula in general.

Aug 12, 7:02 PM
Ryuseishun said:
elementex said:
too boring, dropped

You better trust this guy. Even though Isekai Cheat Magician is one of the most bloody stingy anime when it comes to showing anything visually (which is the polar opposite of what an isekai fantasy should do), it's still a 10/10 in his book.

Aug 12, 7:18 PM

elementex said:
"too boring, dropped"

- The guy who gave Isekai Cheat Magician a 10/10
Modified by Elucid, Aug 12, 7:23 PM

Aug 12, 7:37 PM
Elucid said:
elementex said:
"too boring, dropped"

forgive me for having original opinions that differ from the general populace

Aug 12, 7:49 PM

elementex said:
Elucid said:

Pretty original opinion I must say. You can watch what you want, even if I question you. It's just that I'm tired of Isekai, it's like a plague that started with the good ones then spread while degraded at the same time.

Aug 12, 7:49 PM

Finally the real thing begin next episode :)

Aug 12, 7:59 PM
elementex said:
Elucid said:

So, you're defending your "original" opinion on a frustratingly generic anime with corner cutting effort - though there are currently 726 users who voted 10/10. So "original" I must say. That's already funnier than the whole show. Also, the fact that Vinland Saga's lack of waifus is your idea of an "original" criticism means that being original doesn't necessarily mean good. So, don't pride yourself on having "original" opinions every time.

Aug 12, 8:29 PM
tiwibo said:
elementex said:

So, you're defending your "original" opinion on a frustratingly generic anime with corner cutting effort - though there are currently 726 users who voted 10/10. So "original" I must say. That's already funnier than the whole show. Also, the fact that Vinland Saga's lack of waifus is your idea of an "original" criticism means that being original doesn't necessarily mean good. So, don't pride yourself on having "original" opinions every time.

I understand it has faults, I could easily drop it to 8 or 9, but with all the 1 bombers dropping the show under a 6 just because it's isekai I have to stay at 10 to combat that.

Aug 12, 9:08 PM

i remember a lot of people (myself included) groaning over the staff choice for this, but man, it's been a home run since the first ep

i think the anime original stuff has done a lot of good filling in the blanks so far. read a few manga chapters way back and don't recall caring this much about thorfinn or what was going on in his head

also loving the full version of the OP

Aug 12, 9:22 PM
elementex said:
tiwibo said:

I understand it has faults, I could easily drop it to 8 or 9, but with all the 1 bombers dropping the show under a 6 just because it's isekai I have to stay at 10 to combat that.

You still wonder why there are 1 bombers there? Hey, popular shows also have those 1 bombers and guess what? Those shows hold up. I thought we've talked about this a while back but it seems that it just went over your head. Now that you're here on this board, what are you gonna do? Vote it 1 because there are a lot of people hyping it with 10s?

Also, if you have time to do some maths on the score, I'll tell you the result straight away: Even after you remove those 1s and 2s from the pool, the score would be 6.29. From 5.94 to just 6.29. That's not even an attempt at jumping.

I say again, even though there will always be haters' votes, they mean jack shit. So, stop voting 10 just because there are people who purposely voted 1. Just give it an honest score like you did Maou-sama Retry.

Aug 12, 9:29 PM

lol that "just another day" look he gives at the end.

Aug 12, 10:06 PM
Our boy is growing up so fast From wide eyed little boy to stone cold killer

Aug 12, 11:06 PM
VINLAND SAGA IS WONDERFULL ANIME

Aug 13, 12:30 AM

Thorfinn has become a murderer!

Aug 13, 12:44 AM

Mythologically said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

You might as well drop this. He's only going to become a better fighter from this point onward, and it's obvious that your fixation on realism is hindering your enjoyment of the show.

No, my enjoyment is mainly hindered by the lack of any excitement whatsoever. Besides for Thors vs Askeladd, which I really enjoyed, I've been struggling to stay awake throughout this show. The lack of realism was just a small point that I brought up in my first post due to it slightly annoying me, but now that about 28 people have quoted me on it, I'm actually starting to care about it.

Well, to be honest. If you pointed it in a more civil manner and less cocky, then you would have less people up your ass about it.

Aug 13, 12:47 AM

Mythologically said:
Taito10 said:

No, in this series some people have super strength or super agility. It is not realistic anime, you should already know this after episode four.

"haha the MC is randomly overpowered"
"No, some other people are randomly overpowered"

Damn, what an astute point! Got me there!

Alright, I'm gonna give you an A+ for finding a profile picture that fits your personality.

Aug 13, 3:24 AM

Once again, another canon+source episode that helps in establishing Thorfinn's growing years into a "rightful" warrior in war, that leads his murderous intent towards Askeladd and his men of pirates.

And I still swear that the subs are misleading emotions at best. There's no impact.

The moment when the lady saw Thorfinn's REAL nature at the end of the episode...it was TRUE devastation. The tears from her kind but regretful eyes...it was too painful to see such a kid commit murder in front of her eyes, but Thorfinn's just hashing it off like it's nothing.

The era of Vikings was where Thorfinn left his father Thors's legacy that humans are worth saving. It wasn't a path that he should be following, but the "father figure" of Askeladd is what he embraces, and that is lost.

Splendid episode as always. Marvelous.

Aug 13, 3:25 AM

shane_nichols said:
Tischa said:

But Vinland saga also has glorious animation and backgrounds
Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.

Ufotable has its hits and misses. They fucked up adapting Gyo, that's for sure. Couldn't capture the essence of its story. I love Kimetsu no Yaiba and it's one of my faves but in no way does it even compare to the plot and sheer beauty of Vinland Saga. Even in the manga, the story of KnY follows certain Anime tropes that still make it generic despite some unique themes added into the mix.

------------------------------

This episode was pretty great. They fleshed out Thorfinn's growth during his more juvenile days which weren't really in the manga. That scene where the old Englishwoman was heartbroken after seeing Thorfinn attack those soldiers was the best part. You can see Thorfinn try to hide a part of his humanity in order to get what his heart desires the most: to kill Askeladd.

The only two people I like on Askledd's crew are Askeladd himself and Thorfinn. For everyone else, I honestly couldn't care less.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Aug 13, 4:19 AM

that was pretty sad

also Thorfinn and his Enchanted daggers, auto-clean blood whenever he killed an enemy, OP

Aug 13, 4:34 AM

It was a great episode, I even re-watched it once

Finally it's starting to get good

So far it was kind of boring for me, I hope it only gets better from now on

Aug 13, 4:57 AM

The psychology of Thorfinn is amazing. For anyone wondering, the reason he stays with Askeladd is that, first and foremost, he has to have Askeladd's recognition on the battlefield in order to duel him, and second is out of necessity.

This is going to be in my top 5 maybe even top 3 anime, I can already see it.

We are humans, not fish. We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------

Itachi Uchiha

Aug 13, 5:57 AM
This was a bad episode he know village will be get attack for vikings and kill normal people
Thorfinn wants to revenge all the time stonger2 so what next
He just getting her father's mistake
he embarrassment her father's honor
Modified by Aim1rR, Aug 13, 11:50 AM

Aug 13, 6:05 AM

Next great and pretty episode.Good that Thorfinn is finally 2-3 years older.

Aug 13, 7:40 AM
Franck_Nicolas said:
pff there s no way his tiny daggers combined with his child 's strength would go trhough soldier's chainmail armors

That's why when attacking someone wearing chainmail armor he actually aimed for the throat.

Aug 13, 9:48 AM
magictuch said:
Franck_Nicolas said:
pff there s no way his tiny daggers combined with his child 's strength would go trhough soldier's chainmail armors

That's why when attacking someone wearing chainmail armor he actually aimed for the throat.

Indeed, when watching the episode i didn t notice he didn t actually stabbed soldiers in chainmail armors in the chest

Aug 13, 10:30 AM

this is actually really hard to watch, watching ma boi killing people without any strong reason other than continue his life seeking nothing he cant even really see
◕‿◕)♡ Visit my modded list \(^▽^)/ Guide to rate anime ♡(◕‿◕

Aug 13, 10:54 AM
'Kay y'all, your weekly dose of common sense arrived -

1. Child soldier is portrayed as being too good than it was real at the time. Without a doubt they had chances one on one against a typical soldier, but here Thorfinn in a course of an episode commits a small genocide. Lame.
2. They kept copy-pasting all those poor soldiers Thorfinn slaughtered... Lame!
Otherwise a solid episode. While the series has all the signs of a generic "shounen", literally everyone on screen is just a scum and it is hard to tell whether it's just another "shounen" in an original setting, or an actual saga, at the end of which Thorfinn, after reaching Vinland, perishes the same way Tommy (maybe mirroring Thors' fate) did in Mafia game. That is, if that story is to be more than just an action based viking fable. It also does have everything to surpass that.
Franck_Nicolas said:
magictuch said:

Indeed, when watching the episode i didn t notice he didn t actually stabbed soldiers in chainmail armors in the chest

If that happened and he succeeded that would be a logical foul and would disqualify this series from "historical" genre. It would become full-fledged fantasy about glorified violence. Glad it did not happen, I am.
Re:formed

Aug 13, 1:17 PM
Thorfinn and Askeladd's relationship reminds me alot of Guts and Gambino from Berserk.

Aug 13, 3:03 PM

LOL, people letting themselves be killed instead of hearing more of the little shits screams...

Aug 13, 8:14 PM
JakkoFourEyes said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Also he is following them because if he leaves likely he will never find Askeladd again. He doesn't really have much of a way home at this point either. He wants to kill him in an honorable duel similar to justify what his father did.

Lol there's absolutely nothing honourable about what he's currently doing. The duel won't be very honourable if he got there by helping Askeladd and his men kill and rape entire villages. He can stay with them all he wants, but actually helping them is an entirely different thing.
I get that he's blinded by revenge, but this is really extreme.

It's not about what's honourable to you, it's about what's honourable in Viking culture.

Aug 13, 10:08 PM
my attention drifted and I almost missed the whole montage. glad thorfinn developed as a character a bit. I know his experience with the old lady was meant to drive his change home but I found it a bit unnecessary. thankfully it wasn't a long thing. I thought he'd at least protect her a bit more though

Aug 14, 1:51 AM

Daemon said:

Next episode onwards this will change as the flashback is over. Thors dying was a given you're just meant to see how Thorfinn develops at first. The plot kicks in around now.

Aug 14, 4:18 AM
Short_Circut said:
Damn this show really is going for that historical accuracy, Vikings not having horns on their helmets (like myths say they do), archers doing most of the fighting, language differences. Also MC that isn't afraid to ho harm wow what a shocker

The CGI soldiers though, that looked so garbage lol. Actually not even the soldiers the cgi in general is pretty garbage

LalatinaDarkness said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

tbf considering how many action shows lately have had subpar animation, I can see how great animation can be blinding lmao
Bro shut up about the CG. You know damn well it could've been used way worse and way more prominently ffs

Aug 14, 4:59 AM

Thorfinn grew up huh.
That old lady staring at Thorfinn with tears in her eyes was a hard hitting scene.

Aug 14, 5:32 AM

Thorfinn, from a huge pussy to a savage edgy kid, what a madman. Feel bad for him though, he doesn't know what to do anymore so he just resorts to killing. The old woman didn't have to go through that

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

Preview MangaManga Store