Forum Settings
Forums

Why do multiple people rate exclusively from 6 and up, or even 7 and up?

New
Aug 11, 2019 12:35 AM

Jun 2019
I'm not going to sit here and act like people should rate a certain way, let's get that out there first.

For me, the problem comes with relativity. I use the full 10 point scale, and even I find I can't score anime properly with the current 'full point' system. For example, if I watch 2 shows and rate them an 8 and a 9 respectively, but then watch a third one that I thought was in the middle of those in terms of quality, I'm screwed and have to give it a rating I don't think is totally fair.

Do people who rate 6 or 7 and up just not care about that? If so that's fine, I'm merely interested in the reasoning.

EDIT: Some people are misunderstanding so I edited the title. I'm talking about people who start their rating system at a certain number. I'm not asking why scores under a 6 hardly happen - I understand that much. People watch things they like. My question is why they exclusively rate from a certain score upwards.
NickRedMachineAug 11, 2019 3:50 AM

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2019 12:39 AM

Jul 2019
Ive seen multiple people here who only rate in 9s or 10s. I honestly dont know the reason lol. Would agree with you that MAL should have atleast .5 decimals in between
Aug 11, 2019 12:40 AM

Jul 2013
Because they can. Sometimes it's really not that deep. People have their own way of rating stuff.
Aug 11, 2019 12:43 AM

Aug 2014
I using a 10 scale but with my own standard. 5 is average like standard. But around 4-5 i often drop anime or if it´s not like my taste. And if i drop I don´t rate.
Aug 11, 2019 12:55 AM

Feb 2017
I watch so much anime and have so many on my PTW list that if I feel that an anime is going to be under a 6 by the 3rd or 4th episode I just drop it. I don't feel like rating dropped shows though. I rate shows individually by enjoyment because that feels most accurate to me.

When I first started on this site, I rated most shows pretty high but I recently readjusted my scores; I used to only have a few under 7 and most were 8 or 9s. If you want to better represent "relativity," then you might want to consider adjusting some of your scores too, although that might not be a problem for the size of your completed list right now.

Just some guy who likes anime

Aug 11, 2019 1:00 AM

Jan 2013
I've seen some arguments for scoring only 7 or over, including:

"All anime is good", which is total bullshit. You can't watch something like Mars of Destruction and go, "Hmm, yes. This is acceptable.".
"I only watch anime I enjoy". This is usually an argument from those who have seen like 20 anime max. They haven't developed a taste for the medium yet, so of course they'll enjoy anything even half-competent.
"I use my own scoring system". Then use it, but do it elsewhere. The already fucked scores become totally worthless because of people who do this.
Aug 11, 2019 1:07 AM

Jun 2019
Vivator said:
I watch so much anime and have so many on my PTW list that if I feel that an anime is going to be under a 6 by the 3rd or 4th episode I just drop it. I don't feel like rating dropped shows though. I rate shows individually by enjoyment because that feels most accurate to me.

When I first started on this site, I rated most shows pretty high but I recently readjusted my scores; I used to only have a few under 7 and most were 8 or 9s. If you want to better represent "relativity," then you might want to consider adjusting some of your scores too, although that might not be a problem for the size of your completed list right now.

Yeah, I can still somewhat manage with having just over 100 shows, but I find myself cramming a lot of them in 7 or 8 already. Maybe adding tags down the line to give more info on my rating could help as well.

Aug 11, 2019 1:08 AM

Apr 2016
I rate my anime based on enjoyment. If i watch 2 great anime and I like one more that the other one I rate 8 and the other 9. When an anime has a score 4 or lower I drop it immediately. No anime from my drop list has a score higher than 4, well there are anime I completed and rated it 4 or lower simply because I wanted to see how bad it can become xd

Aug 11, 2019 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
But don't you think MAL's rating system is too shallow ? as if a one digit or two digit number could ever fully undermine or enhance your final opinion about your anime.
Aug 11, 2019 1:12 AM

Jul 2019
NickRedMachine said:
Vivator said:

Yeah, I can still somewhat manage with having just over 100 shows, but I find myself cramming a lot of them in 7 or 8 already. Maybe adding tags down the line to give more info on my rating could help as well.
You are right, tags may help in this case.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 11, 2019 1:14 AM

Jun 2019
WhereIsKarote said:
But don't you think MAL's rating system is too shallow ? as if a one digit or two digit number could ever fully undermine or enhance your final opinion about your anime.
Absolutely I feel that way. However, other than writing a review there's no way to show your thoughts on something, but A. Those never get looked at so that still doesn't help convey it and B. sometimes you just don't have a lot to say about something, or it's been too long to remember.

I do intend on eventually adding 'tags' to the rest of my list though so that an opinion is right there on the list screen.

Aug 11, 2019 1:20 AM

Dec 2014
Because I'm easy to please and rate more heavily based on personal enjoyment. When I think about the overall plot after awhile, I'd probably rate things a bit lower, but it would just take more effort than I want to give to readjust everything, especially after forgetting details. Also, I tend to only start things I think I'll enjoy based on the synopsis and ratings/reviews. Though I really do wish there was a .5 inbetween the ratings.
Aug 11, 2019 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
NickRedMachine said:
Absolutely I feel that way. However, other than writing a review there's no way to show your thoughts on something, but A. Those never get looked at so that still doesn't help convey it and B. sometimes you just don't have a lot to say about something, or it's been too long to remember.

I do intend on eventually adding 'tags' to the rest of my list though so that an opinion is right there on the list screen.

The "tags" option gets the job done for me. Also, I don't think reviews are as shunned as you think they are; and if you don't have much to say about an anime you just finished doesn't it simply mean it was too underwhelming for you ?
Aug 11, 2019 1:40 AM

Jun 2019
I don't rate only from 6 or 7 and up as I have several 5s and even a few 4s and 3s, but I'd imagine where this applies to people it's because people don't fashion themselves as harsh critics?

I've seen thousands of non-anime films and shows, but before coming to MAL, I never really left ratings for anything on any website so didn't gave it much thought (as far as distilling it down numerically). If I absolutely hated too many aspects of what I saw and was disappointed having a wholly negative experience then I would give it a low score mentally, but this was super rare as I generally know my interests well enough to seek out the most appealing content for them. Sometimes though the premise is promising, but the execution is botched, and those scenarios are what would create my greatest number of low ratings.

Some people are just easier to please and more forgiving of flaws or the flaws perceived by you or or the majority don't register as that important to them, if at all. If I liked the basic premise, feel, or message of a show, in the past I would at least in my mind give it an 8, 9, or 10. Now that I actually started creating a MAL list and using the ratings feature on the site, I'm trying to exercise it more reasonably and responsibly and actually think critically about some of what detracts from the greatness of any story and hand out more 5s or 6s when and where I believe they're called for.

7 is my starting point. I start from the basis that ideally, I'd like to give everything at least a 7, and then it's up to the series in a million different ways to give me reasons to add or deduct from that.
Aug 11, 2019 1:50 AM

May 2009
I use the scale from 1 to 9 (10 unused) but since I don't usually watch things I don't like I usually end up rating things 6-9 since they're various degrees of liking stuff. 7 is my most common score because it represents me simply liking something.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 11, 2019 2:14 AM

Feb 2009
CondemneDio said:

"All anime is good", which is total bullshit. You can't watch something like Mars of Destruction and go, "Hmm, yes. This is acceptable.".
"I only watch anime I enjoy". This is usually an argument from those who have seen like 20 anime max. They haven't developed a taste for the medium yet, so of course they'll enjoy anything even half-competent.
"I use my own scoring system". Then use it, but do it elsewhere. The already fucked scores become totally worthless because of people who do this.

Oh, I get it. You are one of those analytical thinking people who analyzes the shit out of every possible little detail available to them. Who considers themselves super expert critics just because they give low rating to anime and think that every anime is a piece of crap.

*hides under a rock feeling CondemneDio superiority*
Aug 11, 2019 2:19 AM

Nov 2010
I mostly score 6 and up, I think it's cause I find most anime & manga at least fine. There is some rare cases I gave less than 6, but then I'm not quite sure what I should give, 1 to 3 just seem such exaggeration. I would be more comfortable scoring on 4 to 10 scale that is used in schools here since i'm most familiar with that one.
Aug 11, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2017
For me it's mostly that I drop shows fast and I rarely score drops. So most of my scores end up in 6+ range because it's rare for me to finish show that I think is bad or meh. There are some such example so I have used lower scores occasionally, but generally speaking I don't. I don't have issue with using them but due to this I don't have many opportunities to use them.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 11, 2019 2:29 AM

Jan 2013
incognit said:
CondemneDio said:

Oh, I get it. You are one of those analytical thinking people who analyzes the shit out of every possible little detail available to them. Who considers themselves super expert critics just because they give low rating to anime and think that every anime is a piece of crap.

*hides under a rock feeling CondemneDio superiority*

Eh, not really. I like to analyze stuff, but with anime I mostly try to just enjoy things.
Most anime is shit though :D
Aug 11, 2019 2:33 AM

Feb 2018
Because they fucking can, what's the point?
Aug 11, 2019 2:40 AM

Mar 2012
Because only idiot and masochist or maybe tsundere continue watching something they clearly would hate. Those who have average above 8 or so must know what their taste is like and in doing so selectively choose what they watch.
NeoAnkaraAug 11, 2019 3:10 AM
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 11, 2019 2:43 AM

Oct 2008
No those people are lazy... hm hm hmm, I meant they don't give it serious thought and only some thought. As in if I liked it I give it the 8, 9 and 10. If I didn't I drop it and if I thought it was average I give it 6 or 7. Nothing wrong with that, but people like that are lazy... hm hm I meant don't have the time to waste on rating some Japanese cartoons, no offence.
Aug 11, 2019 2:47 AM
Apr 2019
I usually rate 8 or above . Cuz i haven't any really watched any bad anime yet
I rated an anime 5 only once
That anime was bokutachi wa benkyou do genkai (idk if name is right)
Because its a ripoff of the quintessential quintuplets
Aug 11, 2019 2:49 AM

Nov 2011
Most users in MAL are/were model students in their school, they rarely got 7 or below scores in school.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 11, 2019 2:58 AM

May 2013
NickRedMachine said:
I'm not going to sit here and act like people should rate a certain way, let's get that out there first.

For me, the problem comes with relativity. I use the full 10 point scale, and even I find I can't score anime properly with the current 'full point' system. For example, if I watch 2 shows and rate them an 8 and a 9 respectively, but then watch a third one that I thought was in the middle of those in terms of quality, I'm screwed and have to give it a rating I don't think is totally fair.

Do people who rate 6 or 7 and up just not care about that? If so that's fine, I'm merely interested in the reasoning.

Hm, if that's the case, you should use a 1-5 system. Then if you think something was between a 3 and 4, you can go for MAL's system and assign it a 7.

Nobody is 'screwed' when giving ratings. If you go for a 20 point scale or a 40 point scale, one can always nit-pick and beg for a higher resolution in the scaling system, if relativity is the root problem (" I thought A was a 93, and B was a 94. I feel C was 93.5 but this 100 point system is insufficient!")

As for your question, I'm just throwing a couple of random reasons.

I would assume the majority of people on MAL think 7 is the median score since that is the pattern they observe (or something that passes as watchable) ? Hence the scores vary around that.

Or they might be easy to impress. Which is arguably a good thing, since you want to be entertained for your time's worth. If you can't be entertained, your loss. Can't do anything about that, sadly.

Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 11, 2019 3:34 AM

Jun 2019
ThatShiny_Hex said:
I clearly wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin, I don't know why you're offended.

Aug 11, 2019 3:38 AM

Jun 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I use the scale from 1 to 9 (10 unused) but since I don't usually watch things I don't like I usually end up rating things 6-9 since they're various degrees of liking stuff. 7 is my most common score because it represents me simply liking something.

NeoAnkara said:
Because only idiot and masochist or maybe tsundere continue watching something they clearly would hate. Those who have average above 8 or so must know what their taste is like and in doing so selectively choose what they watch.

I know that's why a lot of scores are above the average score, and that's understandable, but I'm talking about people who out of principle don't score lower than a 7. Like, I've seen people say in their bio that their system starts at a 6 or 7 and they literally won't use 5 or below, even if they don't find something great.

Aug 11, 2019 3:42 AM
Sep 2009
I actually think about the work the staff put in the Anime while i rate it. So i tend to rate at least 5 cause of Animation & Soundtrack.
I only rate below 5 if the anime makes me feel really uncomfortable (e.g. sexualizing children) or bores the hell out of me.
Aug 11, 2019 3:45 AM

Nov 2013
I usually drop series that imo only worth 5 or less. Most of the time I don't even put them on my list.
Aug 11, 2019 3:47 AM

Jan 2013
Mayuu said:
I actually think about the work the staff put in the Anime while i rate it. So i tend to rate at least 5 cause of Animation & Soundtrack.
I only rate below 5 if the anime makes me feel really uncomfortable (e.g. sexualizing children) or bores the hell out of me.

The amount of work is a bad way to measure how good something is.
Countless hours were put into making The Room, and it is a horrible movie.
Aug 11, 2019 3:48 AM

Jun 2019
I find I often only rate 6 and up, usually because any show that would get a score of 6 or less is something I wouldn't watch, or would only watch an episode or two of and then drop. Hence the only score I end up giving tend to be 6 and above.

Another reason for this method of scoring, maybe because I research shows before I watch them so end up picking shows that I expect to like (and thus score well), or shows that have been highly recommended by someone, who also highly enjoyed that show.

That would be my reason why I score 6 and above.
Aug 11, 2019 3:51 AM

Jun 2019
CondemneDio said:
Mayuu said:

Maybe that's true, but at least he's not completely ruling out scoring under a certain number. His reasoning I can understand.

Aug 11, 2019 3:52 AM

Feb 2018
NickRedMachine said:
ThatShiny_Hex said:
I clearly wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin, I don't know why you're offended.

Nah, I'm not offended. I was just exaggerating my point that it's a subjective opinion whether someone likes to rate anime as 7-10 or 1-5 or 1-10
Aug 11, 2019 3:54 AM

Jun 2019
ThatShiny_Hex said:
NickRedMachine said:

Nah, I'm not offended. I was just exaggerating my point that it's a subjective opinion whether someone likes to rate anime as 7-10 or 1-5 or 1-10

I gotcha, sorry. Misinterpreted your first post. ^^

Aug 11, 2019 3:57 AM
Sep 2009
CondemneDio said:
Mayuu said:

Well, that's a matter of opinion, animation quality and music are rarely that bad to let the score go below average for me.
MayuuAug 11, 2019 4:20 AM
Aug 11, 2019 6:44 AM

Jun 2017
They know their taste and sticking to it. (and at the worst case they drop an anime that doesn't look good after some episodes)

They think as 1/10 as something that pained their eyes and ears and well 99% of anime aren't like that

They just want to enjoy their watching time and they think using 1-10 rating system makes them uncomfortable for their goal and just don't think too much about shows they don't like.

It's somehow the same as above but they only rate stuff they enjoyed...
Aug 11, 2019 9:34 AM
Dec 2017
I mean... It's hard for me to consider an anime bad. This is why, if I really like it, I usually start with a score of 10. If there's something that hinders my enjoyment of the series, then the score goes down a bit. At lowest, the anime will get a 8 because of certain kinds of flaws (underdeveloped characters, slightly bad animation, etc).

I do care about quality but it really takes a lot of flaws to ruin an anime for me. Plus, I usually drop anime that I would end up rating a 7 or lower. This is usually because it fails to keep me watching. With Shichisei no Subaru, I couldn't care about the characters; they were boring and nothing about them was really likable. I like watching anime with at least one character I can call a favorite. Its plot was slightly interesting didn't that stop me from dropping it. In other cases, I might finish them just to say that I completed another series. This is what I did with Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody. Not only were the characters uninteresting and flat, the fight scenes were boring as well. But I finished it anyway and gave it a rating of 7 because it wasn't horrible. Believe it or not, it was enjoyable...occasionally.

Anyway, I would use the rest of the scale but I have yet to find an anime with flaws that would justify giving it a 5 or lower. My only exception is Pupa which I did find bad. I wrote a review on it and gave it a 5 but I have wondered from time to time if I should've given it a 4.
Sakurai_AoiAug 11, 2019 10:05 AM
Aug 11, 2019 9:37 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Some people are more easy to please (such as me), which is why I use the upper scale more often.
Aug 11, 2019 9:37 AM
May 2018
It's really not a big deal. A lot of people (like me) liked the shows they watched so they rarely have low scores
Aug 11, 2019 9:42 AM
Jul 2018
Because MAL doesn't let them choose from a variety of scoring systems, like most other sites do.

Seriously. Everyone, from Kitsu to AniList, have already implemented that feature. This site is constantly stuck in the Stone Age.
Aug 11, 2019 9:45 AM

Apr 2019
I haven't watched that many shows (around 40), but I have rated the ones I've watched with a score of 4 and up.
Most people that do what you say are people who haven't seen too many shows (such as myself) and generally they do not know what they dislike until they find something that raises their standards.
Aug 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Because MAL doesn't let them choose from a variety of scoring systems, like most other sites do.

Seriously. Everyone, from Kitsu to AniList, have already implemented that feature. This site is constantly stuck in the Stone Age.

Then haul ass to the other sites, why even waste time here?
Aug 11, 2019 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
CondemneDio said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Then haul ass to the other sites, why even waste time here?

Forums. Still the single most active Anime Discussion "traditional style" board in the world.
And you just proved my point, since you quoted me in a matter of minutes.

Wouldn't be caught dead rating/reviewing shit over here, though.
Aug 11, 2019 9:53 AM

Oct 2014
1-5 & 6-10 amount to an odd amount of numbers, with 3 and 8 being the middle value. There is no middle value in 1-10 because it's an even amount of numbers.

But i doubt that to be the reason for the majority, but for some definitely. I have no logical reason for 6-10, my opinion is that most people feel bad about rating anime lower, especially since the mean score of MAL is 6.54.

Edit:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

The last thing i want is a website that doesn't even have specific ratings, just a % like AL and Kitsu. That's not even a rating.
LunilahAug 11, 2019 9:59 AM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 11, 2019 9:58 AM

Dec 2014
For me, everything starts off as a 10. And then I take points off for things I think could have been done better eg; ending, pacing, story, characters etc. But I tend to be pretty generous with my ratings, I usually never drop below a 6, it's just not in my nature.
Aug 11, 2019 10:20 AM

Sep 2014
No idea. Maybe they subsconciously consider school grades or some shit where half and below is the worst and they will rate a 6 for any effort?

IDK, some people seem to believe that the very basic effort of animating the whole thing and having SOME story and characters is enough to guarantee a 5+, which I think is bullshit. If they weren't able to do even this, the show wouldn't be made in the first place. You can have proper animation and the basic storytelling standards met, but still deserve a 1 out of 10.

There's also people claiming they 'only watch stuff they enjoy' which I think is bullshit, even if you like the synopsis or the cover art or whatever, you have no guarantee that you will actually like the show itself. So I don't think having so much accuracy with finding what you like is possible, unless you have only seen a handful of anime and genuinely like everything. This won't last long for most people.
Aug 11, 2019 10:30 AM

Jan 2013
Bunsuke said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

god i know what your reasoning for not using 10 would be (nothing is perfect bla bla) but it's retarded. it's your own personal scale, 10s are just what you connect with the most compared to everything else

Agreed. If one says something perfect does not exist, then that makes the perfect score a 11/10.
Aug 11, 2019 11:52 AM

May 2009
Bunsuke said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

god i know what your reasoning for not using 10 would be (nothing is perfect bla bla) but it's retarded. it's your own personal scale, 10s are just what you connect with the most compared to everything else
Actually, your guess is incorrect; the reason I don't use 10 is because I need a symmetrical scale and either I choose 1/3/5/7/9 and drop 10 or 2/4/6/8/10 and drop 1. So I picked the first.

I've thought about changing it to the second; which do you think makes more sense?

(Note that I can't just use 10 to mean favorites; my favorites actually have different scores to them.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 11, 2019 11:58 AM

Apr 2019
what are you even saying?
most people on MAL tend to rate between scores 1-5, ignoring scores 6-10.

jokes aside
i usually drop shows if they are bad
so i'll either have the show scored at 1 because it massively disappointed and failed the entire anime with 1 mistake (like a big logical inconsistency ( im looking at you hotaru no haka ) ) or i'll rate between 5-10, because most animes are either trash, or average, or they are better

i don't differentiate much between garbage and average anime, so 5 is average and 1 is everything thats garbage

Imaishi said:

There's also people claiming they 'only watch stuff they enjoy' which I think is bullshit,

how is it bullshit? they can drop anime they don't enjoy and not list it

also @GlennMagusHarvey
im curious but why are u using an even /or , odd numbers only scoring system?

Lil_Death said:
For me, everything starts off as a 10. And then I take points off for things I think could have been done better eg; ending, pacing, story, characters etc. But I tend to be pretty generous with my ratings, I usually never drop below a 6, it's just not in my nature.

this pretty much
based off of potential
i do it the same way
except if it massively disappoints i rate it a 1 or 5 for average stuff and 6+ depending on how much potential is wasted
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 11, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Bunsuke said:

Actually, your guess is incorrect; the reason I don't use 10 is because I need a symmetrical scale and either I choose 1/3/5/7/9 and drop 10 or 2/4/6/8/10 and drop 1. So I picked the first.

I've thought about changing it to the second; which do you think makes more sense?

(Note that I can't just use 10 to mean favorites; my favorites actually have different scores to them.)
That's actually exactly what my post in this thread stated.
Lunilah said:
1-5 & 6-10 amount to an odd amount of numbers, with 3 and 8 being the middle value. There is no middle value in 1-10 because it's an even amount of numbers.

But i doubt that to be the reason for the majority, but for some definitely. I have no logical reason for 6-10, my opinion is that most people feel bad about rating anime lower, especially since the mean score of MAL is 6.54.

Edit:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

The last thing i want is a website that doesn't even have specific ratings, just a % like AL and Kitsu. That's not even a rating.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

36 by Archean-Return »»
14 seconds ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 12 minutes ago

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is an anime good if...

ZeroMajor12 - 3 hours ago

13 by jal90 »»
13 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

43 by CoconutPizza »»
21 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

13 by mo_lave »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.