Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 9, 2019 10:11 AM
Aug 2018
Tbh i was expecting something like this to happen, someone from mafuyus life died/killed themself and thats how he got the guitar. At first i thought it would have been his fathers but after the ep where he sees his old friend i realised it wasnt and then after ep 4 with the girl saying he was dating someone in his previous school the pieces of the puzzle fell in place.

NOW AS FOR WHATS HER FACE SJSBSJSH she really trying to ruin our men’s relationship like honey leave em alone, y are girls always portrayed as thirsty and vengeful? Anyway, at least the preview for the next ep looked good so i doubt they stop talking or something. God one more week how am i going to survive😔🥺

AND HARUKI AND AKIHIKO IM-🥺
El3naAug 9, 2019 10:15 AM
Aug 9, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2016
Well... it was cute while it lasted. Damn that chick for ruining this fluffy atmosphere!

Now seriously, "The Reason" actually took me by surprise I mean, I thought Mafuyu's "trauma" might be related to his family (the death of a relative or even domestic abuse) but I really wasn't expecting it to be suicide-related at all. That sure is a pretty dark theme to approach so now I'm really interested in watching the next episode ASAP.
Aug 9, 2019 12:38 PM

Dec 2011
The warmth of this episode was starting to get to me and then that happened. Shit, the change in the atmosphere was massive.

On a side note, Haruki's gay panicking is the best thing ever. Overwhelmingly cute and comical at the same time ♥
Aug 9, 2019 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
K1ngOfSloth said:
Uh seems like it's going in a yaoi romance direction after all
I'd rather not have that tbh.. Would've enjoyed it more if Uenoyama gets together with that girl from his class and one of the older members with his sister. In the end Romance is not a main part tho so it shouldn't be that important I guess.. Up until now
Well as long as the story is good I don't have anything against yaoi
why does it matter if he ends up dating a girl or a boy? Gay people exist. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean it is a yaoi tbh
Aug 9, 2019 4:44 PM
Apr 2018
K1ngOfSloth said:
Uh seems like it's going in a yaoi romance direction after all
I'd rather not have that tbh.. Would've enjoyed it more if Uenoyama gets together with that girl from his class and one of the older members with his sister. In the end Romance is not a main part tho so it shouldn't be that important I guess.. Up until now
Well as long as the story is good I don't have anything against yaoi
I'm going to assume you were unaware this is a shounen ai story that will revolve around romances between boys. I notice most of your favorite characters are girls. Is your wish that the boys had gotten with girls perhaps driven by a wish to see the female characters play a larger role? Your original comment could use some clarification, as it could easily be taken as heteronormative or worse.
Aug 9, 2019 5:52 PM

Sep 2011
They laid it on kind of thick this episode. While it was nice to see some character development of the other two, it felt like this episode was both a waste and a not-so-subtle info dump due to the shortened length of the season. I can't help but notice that we ended this week's episode pretty much exactly the same way as last week's. It was like "Hey, I heard a rumor about Satou (end of ep 4). Btw everyone is gay (ep 5). So that rumor? Yeah, apparently Sato was in a gay relationship in middle school and his partner killed himself. (End of ep 5)".
Aug 9, 2019 6:28 PM
Sep 2008
haruki is so freaking adorable!!
gosh they all are!!!

and omg what is it with this girl!!!! shes the devil or something!! i thought she was nice
narutosisterAug 9, 2019 6:32 PM
Aug 10, 2019 5:58 AM

Nov 2010
My reaction of hearing that someone had boyfriend in middle school that killed himself would be quite different than that girl's. Like I would feel so bad for Mafuyu, i'd want to comfort him. I don't think Uenoyama will react in the way the girl is hoping for either.
Aug 10, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2014
Haruki's panic is so cute wtf. I want him to be with Akihiko, but his love life seems complicated to say the least. I also liked seeing Mafuyu smiling more.

That girl needs to watch her step, instead of feeling sorry for Mafuyu and being nice to him, she decided to use the awful incident to drive Uecchi away from him. And how could anyone blame him for his boyfriend's suicide, that's such a cruel and ignorant thing to say especially when you don't know anything about their relationship.

Aug 10, 2019 7:57 AM

Mar 2018
I honest to fucking god love this show! It ja so cozy, warm and has such a wonderful lazy pace but the ending... I had a feeling it would be bad but suicide...damn.

Also, why only 11 episodes. That sucks. I hope the show won't feel rushed.
Aug 10, 2019 1:49 PM

Oct 2008
OHEHMGEE!!! GAY YAOI REVOLTING BLERGH!!!
5/5.

Aug 10, 2019 7:27 PM

Jul 2016
What!?!? I really wasn't expecting something that dark. I was thinking about a brother's death not that... Wow. Really curious to know more about it.
Aug 10, 2019 8:30 PM
Feb 2018
Awww... that smile, mafuyu's smile is something i want protect.(~‾ ▽‾)~

Haruki is cute, but i feel sad he have feeling to Akihiko. (T.T) it not like i hate Akihiko, i just dont usualy like other couple in bl story. But, i curious about Akihiko and black hair guy.

I feel a bit disappointed with this episode, it too slow. Especially they just give us 11 episode!!

Okay, girl. I understand you like Uenoyama. But to reveal someone past like that... aww, i disappointed.
Aug 10, 2019 11:50 PM

Dec 2014
so like this episode we knew why it was tagged shounen Ai...overall a great show really enjoying it
Aug 11, 2019 4:13 AM

Jun 2007
Haruki's story surprised me. hope there is another explanation for that dark-haired guy living with Aki, or else Haruki is fucked

considering the age that girl has no possible excuse for her deed. she's sick. i really need to get the image of her dumb face as she was bullshitting Ueno out of my mind
see you, space cowperson . . .
Aug 11, 2019 9:26 AM
Jan 2019
Gay time gay time gay ti- *sees last minute of episode* NANI
Aug 11, 2019 10:21 AM

Jul 2019
Another stellar episode. I really hope viewership is high across all platforms, I don't want this to end in 6 episodes.

I've not read the manga, but Kasai's plan to make Uenoyama see Mafuyu as some kind of monster that makes other commit suicide isn't going to work in the lease bit. Uenoyama is going to be even more drawn to Mafuyu - as he now knows why he's suffering and he'll want to be an even better friend now.

Haruki poor poor, Haruki. He's fell in the love with the rebel with the hot bod, hot face, and big heart; that happens to be in relationship with a guy and is likely bisexual.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2019 12:36 AM

Dec 2018
Damn you cliff hangers...DAMN YOU. Now I can't wait for next week, and totally regret not watching this sooner...but on the bright side, I won't have to wait as long...I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about the BL now in Given...it's not that big a deal. It really isn't. As long as the show doesn't fetishizes the relationships, I personally don't find a problem with it. I totally thought that Haruki had a crush on Kaji for the past few episodes, but I didn't expect it to be actually be in the show...I'm shipping it, they seem really cute together. I'm looking forward to next week.
Aug 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Oct 2017
It was so touching that I could fit the heartbreaking emotions of this story with the lyrics of the OP and ED, I was almost about to cry, I''am since last episode hoping to the develope of Mafuyu's past story ,guess in the next ep it'll be the case.
PD.I like the voice actors job's , it's fitting in a good way.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Aug 13, 2019 7:52 PM

Sep 2016
This anime is getting deep with it touching upon the theme of suicide. Needless to say, I really liked this episode and I enjoyed having it confirmed that Haruki has a crush on Kaji. It seems like the whole band's gay for sure now.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Aug 15, 2019 3:33 PM
Mar 2019
That was definitely not what I was expecting for Mafuyu's backstory! I figured the funeral scene was his dad's since he mentioned that he didn't have a father. The writing did a good job of subverting audience expectations there!

I'm not fading on this show because of the yaoi themes but because of such a heavy discussion about it. There are many more themes that could have been explored and how music and the band is an escape for all the members. I think generally escapism and self discovery are the overlying themes of the series but could have been explored in more ways than just one. It is taking 4 characters to discuss the same theme without much variance between them and I think that is a big mistake considering how unique each character is in their behavior and design.
Aug 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Nov 2016
I was expecting a backround episode for Mafuyu, apparently they're saving it for later. I can live with more focus on Haruki and Akihiko, tho. It was certainly nice to learn more about them and their first encounter. Those two are precious. However, kinda surprised that we're getting the gay overload xD

They still dropped the bomb at the end. What a biatch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 15, 2019 10:08 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
sdlkfjsdfk I just really like Haruki so much. OTL
Good stuff this episode. Nice calm vibe. Also, RIP Haruki with all those situations, but look how he doesn't do anything. Look how he doesn't take advantage of the situation (except for maybe trying to sneak a pic).
Haruki's such a good guy. I love Haruki. I can't adopt him, but I shall make him my sibling.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 15, 2019 11:15 PM

Aug 2015
Haruki and that fluffy doggo are precious ^^
Aug 16, 2019 5:06 PM
Jun 2013
I’m loving this but I cannot believe it’s only 11 eps I was hoping it would be longer plus the story is moving slow
Aug 19, 2019 12:41 PM

Feb 2011
so potential cheating, an unrequited crush, a suicide mystery and a girl outing Mafuyu and being a BL cliche...dramaaa XD
眠れないのは君のせい
Aug 20, 2019 10:45 AM

Mar 2019
Well it's all cast BL then lol, i thought it was nice to have maybe only one couple in there but i guess fans of the genre would want more even if really all the boys shown are handsome. Honestly i'm a little disappointed in the series, i haven't seen more of what got me into it which is the music stuff so maybe i'll only watch 1 or 2 more episodes and see how it goes.

What's up with the girl though, man even if you are worried about the boy you like you know you are doing this just to get that other boy out of the way,
Aug 21, 2019 11:15 AM

May 2017
That OST! I can't wait for it to come out, loved how relaxed this show is :)
Aug 23, 2019 7:58 AM

Oct 2015
Akihiko seems like the quiet but perceptive type, it'd be really odd if he didn't realize Haruki's feelings for 2 years.
Aug 23, 2019 3:26 PM

Dec 2016
So he has one dude in bed, dates girls and has his best bro in love with him? Akihiko sure gets around... But I'm not getting good vibes from the one in bed, that combined with him sleeping at Haruki's. I hope Haruki doesn't get hurt, he's my favourite so far.

You can gossip, but you ain't getting any of that ass, bitch.
I was expecting a death of someone important to him, not a bf and especially not suicide :0
Aug 28, 2019 2:47 AM

Dec 2016
mafuyu "what's a personality" sato
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 28, 2019 4:57 AM
Dec 2017
I'm glad they focused on Haruki and Akihiko. I loved learning more about them. Haruki was just so cute at times, especially during that one moment when Akihiko fell asleep on him. Lol.

But those rumors, and that girl, bug the heck out of me. It's unfortunate that Mafuyu's boyfriend killed himself but she has no reason to even be speaking to Ritsuka about that. She's "warning" him about Mafuyu as if he's some bad person that he needs to be cautious around. And they're just rumors. She's not even sure if they're 100% true and she's telling him this like it's a fact.

Just...why did she have to butt in?
Aug 31, 2019 6:19 PM

Mar 2013
Why was Haruki so relatable this episode.

Screw that girl running her mouth when she doesn't even know what she's talking about.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Sep 6, 2019 9:51 PM

Aug 2017
I knew that she would disrupt everything. It's pretty fucked up that his old bf killed himself. But Haruki loving Akihiko was....I admit he'd caught me off-guard. Well, I don't blame him...Akihiko is really hot if u ask me.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 14, 2019 4:10 PM

Dec 2016
I knew something is up with those two >.> so Haruki have a crush on Akihiko. That's cute! Akihiko surprised me when he fell on top on Haruki XD He was pretty exeusted that he felt asleep right away!

Great episode! Mafuyu's past have me intrigued *-* I am super curious about his past and I want to find out what happened!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Dec 10, 2019 7:46 AM

Jul 2013
Oh wow, I was not expecting for this to be a shounen ai where EVERY guy is gay lol. Here for it though!

The last scene was really well-executed. It was a dramatic shift in tone. This show is sooo good and I keep getting more invested, but still remains enjoyable for the slice of life aspect too.
Jan 14, 2020 1:36 PM
Dec 2014
Wow what a b***h. What sort of person tries to win someone over by trash talking their friend?
Mar 23, 2020 7:18 PM
Apr 2018
Well, she screwed everything though I'm glad because at least I got to know a but more about Sato's old bf.

Btw, the only song I recall being called "The Reason" is the one by Hoobastank (spelled right?). There're probably a thousand more
Jun 19, 2020 10:39 AM
Jun 2020
Lots to unpack here. I kind of guessed that Mafuyu had a relationship with someone who died, which led him to peruse music, something I'm guessing who he was with liked a lot. I don't appreciate how the girl is trying to sabotage Ritsuka's relationship to him based on her feelings and rumors she heard. Look, I completely understand wanting someone to return your feelings and doing what you must to have them returned, but that's not how you do it. It might actually make Ritsuka resent her for speaking on something she knows nothing about. I don't hate her for it, but I hope she changes the behavior. I do like Haruki's and Akihiko's relationship progression though, and I wonder if that man in his house was a roommate or lover. I hope it's the latter.

Sorry to ramble. I doubt anyone reads these for this long. Just getting my thoughts out.
Oct 28, 2020 10:30 PM
May 2016
The Band's name is "The seasons" makes sense because of the member's name.
Akihiko = "Aki" means fall/autumn
Haruki = "Haru" = Spring
Ritsuka = not sure about this but i think kanjis of Ritsu could also read like Natsu and that is summer.
And then we have
Mafuyu = "Fuyu" is winter

I really like the AkiHaru scenes.
On the other hand i was expecting that kind of past of Mafuyu, some scenes of the opening are clues of the story. I didn't read manga so I'm just speculating.
So far i really enjoy this anime and always end with that cliffhanger :B damnit I want to watch more! ♥️
Nov 10, 2020 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
i have never hated a girl more than i do right now omg shut ur mouth u little bobbed haired betch
Nov 17, 2020 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
Very good as always.
Jan 15, 2021 12:53 PM

Mar 2019
okay, wow, this is too much for me i cant omg. sato's old bf killing himself? that must be so traumatic esp if he acc thinks he was 'part of the reason'? i feel so bad for him rn.. really wish that pink haired girl just minded her own business. also - pls, who is that person living w kaji? it better not be a secret bf
Mar 20, 2021 8:30 AM
Mar 2021
Wow, I did not expect that ending. I think that Sato was in a band too with his old boyfriend or had ties to the band. Maybe, that's why Sato started playing guitar in the first place and in the intro when Sato hugs the guitar a pair of arms appear draped over him. I had a feeling that Haruki liked Akihiko because he would blush when they would interact with each other, but it looks like Akihiko is already seeing someone, but I think that something will happen between them because they are foreshadowing it heavily. But, overall this was a great episode, the series just keeps getting better and better in my opinion.
Jun 4, 2021 4:17 PM

Jan 2021
God. I hate that girl so much. (-.-)
Sep 8, 2021 10:21 PM
Feb 2020
what's wrong with that lady, that's none of her bussines
Sep 13, 2021 12:26 AM

Mar 2021
Can I just kill that girl
She just…… ugggggg
Nov 30, 2021 3:59 AM

Mar 2021
Am I the only dumb person who thought Ugetsu was Yuki because of the opening ? He always appeared after Mafuyu's friends in the opening and every time I saw him I was like "Oh, that's the character from Mafuyu's past and probably dead"
So when he appeared on Akihiko's bed, my mouth fell open and I said, "So he is alive and is actually a character related to Akihiko ?''

God this show really surprises me..
This is Nanba Prison. No one has ever escaped successfully from this prison. -Nanbaka

Dec 8, 2021 3:06 PM
Dec 2017
another really nice episode i say

Mar 4, 2022 5:47 PM

May 2015

I focus on way too minuscule details lol
I’m just hear like, “Why are you tying your hair up like that? That looks inconvenient. Why do none of you know how to tie hair”
Then in the flashback I’m like, “You’re like, 24, why are you approaching 14 year olds and asking them to join your band. That’s creepy.”

Also RIP to Nakayama. That man was put through so much in just one episode lol

As for the girl *sigh*… I was hoping we wouldn’t go there. Honestly, I really hate when they turn women into villains io shounen ai. Maybe it’s just in my experience, but I’ve seen in bring out SOOOOOOO much misogyny and hatred in people.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I'm a straight guy, can I watch it?

removed-user - Oct 29, 2023

36 by NekoCats »»
Mar 2, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tubby - Jul 18, 2019

113 by Mak_and_Cheese »»
Feb 17, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Given Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 19, 2019

133 by Kildzoo25 »»
Feb 10, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Given Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tubby - Jul 25, 2019

85 by gorkoo »»
Jan 23, 12:01 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 5, 2019

249 by Craneface »»
Jan 9, 1:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.