Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Sep 2014
the women there are beautiful. also anime is made there.

why or why not
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 7, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2013
I like their job security but there's no reason for a native Japanese company to hire foreigners for non-niche positions over natives, even aside from the sheer difficulty of maintaining a Japanese work visa (and already assuming you're fluent).
Aug 7, 2019 7:59 PM

Aug 2018
No, not willing to learn a new language, not a fan of their work culture and their aversion towards foreigners. Interested in visiting for vacation but not residence.
<Insert clever quote>
Aug 7, 2019 8:05 PM

Mar 2019
Absolutely not — I think the culture in many ways takes the flaws of U.S. culture to an extreme: too obsessed with status; fake politeness; too much faith in authority of the elder and parents and too much judging on appearance and too much emphasis on social collectivism and collective responsibility where an entire family become held responsible for the actions of one member.

There are some positive points such as that they seem to be less concerned with putting men and themselves into rigid boxes and that they seem less obsessed with a personal sense of identity.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 7, 2019 8:14 PM

Jul 2007
No because I wouldn't be able to understand shit.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 7, 2019 8:20 PM

Jul 2019
No not really, too many reasons why not. I guess some reasons tho would be because i wouldn't know what to do or where to go, can't read or understand anything. But i would love to visit there.
Aug 7, 2019 8:33 PM

Aug 2009
As much as I like the idea of slaying some Asian pussy... I can kinda already do that in America if I play my cards right. ...which I often can't, so, fuck it.

...Also xenophobia might come into play.

Aug 7, 2019 8:44 PM

Jun 2019
No.

I'd love to visit Japan and spend an extensive amount of time traveling the country - Everything from remote villages in northern Hokkaido to the urban culture in Tokyo/Osaka/Yokohama/etc., UNESCO World Heritage sites like certain famed Shinto shrines and Buddhist pagodas, the real life locations that inspired some animes (like Shirakawa in Gifu prefecture, the real Hinamizawa from Higurashi), eat some dolphin in Taiji, etc.

I'd never want to live there. I wouldn't want to live in most countries. I don't want to live in the U.S. either and the only reason I'm still here is I was born here and not ready yet to forsake, uproot, and overturn everything in my life yet. I can list historical or cultural sites I'd love to see in every country from Monaco to Somalia, but I can think of reasons for virtually all of them why I wouldn't want to actually live there. Japan is no exception.

Japan is incredibly nationalistic and insular. And just to clarify, I'm not begrudging them that at all. Actually, I agree with it and support national sovereignty and countries maintaining their culture, but as a non-Japanese person I'd have no business there as anything other than a tourist/traveler. There are whole places like certain hot springs and R&R establishments off-limits to "gaijin". And unlike in North America or among a lot of European liberals, they have an ethnic identity and conception of the nation-state, not just civic (citizenship-based). If you're not ethnic Japanese and you weren't born there, you'll always be foreign. White people are alien foreigners. Blacks and browns are perceived lower status alien foreigners. Other East Asians like Chinese and Koreans on work visas are still viewed as a foreign element. Even other ethnic Japanese who were born in Japan and moved abroad for a long time are seen as a foreign influence.

That's the first point why not and the biggest one. I respect the sentiments of the general population politically to keep their home islands an ethnostate if they so choose. I think it's a valid decision and I would feel unwelcome and imposing as anything more than a visitor.

Beyond that, I've never been to Japan or East Asia in general, but I've traveled enough to see a common theme that common people are alike everywhere to some extent. Young people over there are just as brainwashed and consumerist. Old people are just as (more, in this instance) concerned with the honor of the family name. Some of the same things I don't like in the West are still present there, equal or magnified. I don't like Japanese work culture, the concept of keeping public "face" and conformity of speech and outward behavior. They've built an industrious, intellectually vibrant, and artistically luminous civilization that's accumulated great wealth and capital on the backs of it, but it would have nothing to offer me as an individual in day-to-day living as a perpetual outsider.

Life isn't living in an anime there. If you want to find people who share your passions and interests, it's probably better calling out at the top of your lungs online to reach scattered souls around the world.
WatchTillTandavaAug 7, 2019 8:48 PM
Aug 7, 2019 9:09 PM

Mar 2017
It's a great place for a vacation, but I wouldn't want to move there. For one, I don't know enough of the language to get a job, and I definitely don't have the money to move to a different country.
Besides, I'm just not interested in moving out of New Zealand.

'nom'
Aug 7, 2019 9:50 PM

Oct 2017
No I would just like to visit.

1-I don't speak Japanese.

2-I further doubt that many Japanese women will be as interested in the 'average Western guy' as in the 'average Japanese guy' for a host of reasons, including the simple assertion that most single women are pragmatic (Another problematic trait for me regarding their culture) and marriage 'outside' is more problematic than not.

3-I hate their working standards sometimes it's beautiful but the death by overwork is something I'd consider and plenty of extra work etc...

4-No extra benefit for my career.

5-Small apartaments. I've always lived in big homes with a big yard, big enough to fit in 6 or more trucks.
Idk but I would feel weird living inside a small cube.

6-Horrible taxation to keep my hobby alive.
In japan they tax vehicles by engine displacement.
I would love to live the car culture in Japan, but it would take extra money.

7-I'm an average westerner.

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Aug 7, 2019 9:54 PM

Oct 2013
From the films, it seems like damn fine place. Very clean and with plenty of unsoiled nature to visit. But there is just one problem: Japanese people. Asians are very different people, I don't think I'd be able to find my place there
Aug 7, 2019 9:58 PM

Nov 2011
Japan is good to visit as tourist. Living in it is another story. Do you know why the suicide rate is so high there?

Aug 7, 2019 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
I'd move to Japan for a few months or a year, since I'm studying Japanese at university. lol It would be a waste not to practice the language in its country of origin.
Aug 7, 2019 10:06 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
Yeah, solely because my homeland is way worse as a country. I'd prefer South Korea or Canada, though.
Aug 7, 2019 10:11 PM

Mar 2018
Kaiser-kun said:
Japan is good to visit as tourist. Living in it is another story. Do you know why the suicide rate is so high there?

This.

Can confirm. I've lived there as an exchange student and all I did was some part-time jobs. But even with just that, their work culture is really something (in a bad way). And it's hard to explain, but there's this barrier kinda thing between natives and foreigners. It's like they never approve of you or something.

Aug 7, 2019 11:09 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
Definitely not, no. Just a couple reasons off hand, their aversion to foreigners, their extreme work culture, too cramped/crowded (apartments are significantly smaller that what most of us are used to), And I don't speak the language. It would take me years to learn the language to a fluent level. People who say the "wish they lived in Japan" are often people who are under the delusion that everything will be like living an anime, while that's simply not the case. Life in Japan is vastly different than what we are used to. Japan is beautiful and I would more than love to travel there one day for a week or so, and experience the beauty, but living there is just something I couldn't do.

Aug 7, 2019 11:23 PM

Jul 2013
After visiting it? Yeah I'd like to try. No guarantee I will like it though.
Aug 8, 2019 12:17 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Well, it depends on the person. I personally like it a lot more than any European country I've visited so far, especially if you live somewhere near Tokyo you wouldn't get bored easily in my opinion. I'm not going back to Europe any time soon even for the Holidays, there is just so many more interesting things that you can do in Japan, especially if you already have a hobby that is connected to the Japanese culture in some way.

Renkini said:
Kaiser-kun said:

This.

Can confirm. I've lived there as an exchange student and all I did was some part-time jobs. But even with just that, their work culture is really something (in a bad way). And it's hard to explain, but there's this barrier kinda thing between natives and foreigners. It's like they never approve of you or something.

The work culture is most likely going to improve in future and the biggest barrier so far is the language really.
149597871Aug 8, 2019 12:21 AM
Aug 8, 2019 12:24 AM

Apr 2013
Only if I don't have to work there, couldn't cope with their work ethics.
Aug 8, 2019 12:32 AM

Apr 2013
I feel like it's a nice place to visit, but I would never want to return to live there. I don't want to die from catching pneumonia or the work ethic.
Aug 8, 2019 12:37 AM

Jul 2007
TheHentaiKing said:
I feel like it's a nice place to visit, but I would never want to return to live there. I don't want to die from catching pneumonia or the work ethic.

Also the tentacle monsters are a cause for concern.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 8, 2019 1:58 AM

Nov 2018
After I watched anime, definitely NO. If you read what is shown in anime between the stories, there is common theme that appears:

- Lack of individuality - society will meddle with your personal life to integrate you forcefully.
- Status quo - your boss/supervisor have absolute power over you. In dispute he/she is always right.
- Company hierarchy is loyalty based (time you worked for a company), not skill based.
- The living standard is lower than Netherlands (where I currently live).

It is definitely a nice place to visit, but I will never go live or work there.
Aug 8, 2019 2:21 AM
Oct 2018
No. I'd like to visit as a tourist spot but moving there wouldn't be a very wise decision for me.
--
Aug 8, 2019 3:25 AM

Jul 2019
Probably not. I would love to visit Japan honestly but I've never thought about moving there.

Reach for the
Stars☆

Aug 8, 2019 5:21 AM

May 2014
Not at all. I'm fine with where i'm living now.
Aug 8, 2019 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
Nope. I don't even want to visit Japan.

Besides Anime and video games, I'm not really interested in anything else regarding Japan. Their work culture is horrible, the houses are too small, and I would be absolutely miserable there.

Japan is an extremely stressful place to live. Over 90% of foreign males who move there start going bald in less than a year of living there.

Aug 8, 2019 6:57 AM

Dec 2014
Interesting that not a lot of people here would like to live in Japan.

I would like to work for a Japanese game company, simply because they make games I like and I feel that alone would make it worth it.
I'm South Asian by lineage so maybe I would fit in better than a westerner but that's something that I can't comment on that unless I move there. I'm not scared of the work ethic. In fact it's quite similar to my own home country, however I am a little concerned over work place discrimination because of not being native.

The biggest reasons that I still haven't attempted the move are,
1) I haven't learnt the language yet
2) I'm still quite inexperienced, as such I don't think I would get paid anywhere near enough to maintain my current lifestyle. I realize that the cost of living is much cheaper when compared to where I am now but I don't think the pay is anywhere near close either.

At the very least, I would like to visit someday.
Aug 8, 2019 7:28 AM

May 2018
Having live in Japan during business trip, no. First of all, there are far more old people in Japan than younger people than other countries. You will see more old ladies than young Japanese girls. Secondly, most Japanese women are not as beautiful as what anime or JAV portray them to be. Thirdly, living cost is high.

Don't be fooled by anime. Too many weeaboos think having Japanese wife/girlfriend is a trophy wife. It's nothing like that.

And don't expect Japanese women to like you just because you are white and love anime. If you are seen as unattractive in your home country, chances are,Japanese women will feel the same about you. Your luck with women in Japan will be the same as your luck with women in your own home country.

Still one thing I like about Japanese women is their moan. I bang some Japanese women in brothel, Tobita Shinchi. Maybe it because I watch hentai and the way Japanese moan turn me on. LOL!
Papa_ScorchAug 8, 2019 7:38 AM
Aug 8, 2019 7:35 AM

Nov 2018
no. I'd imagine living as a foreigner would be difficult in Japan due to it being such a homogenous society.
Aug 8, 2019 8:51 AM

Jan 2015
Maybe if I could understand and speak Japanese, but considering I would have to learn a new language and get used to a completely different culture, probably not. But you never know what the future will tell.

Aug 8, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2009
I would like to visit with a shit a load of spending money to eat at various food places and get a bunch of souvenirs and get a real hand forged katana and hand forged kitchen knives. But I wouldn't want to live there.
Aug 8, 2019 3:16 PM

Aug 2018
I don't even want to visit Japan let alone live there. Besides sightseeing, which is something I don't really care about, what is there to even do there that's so special and unique?
Aug 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Jul 2015
No, I would prefer to move to either somewhere in Italy or New Zealand. Japan is alright but I am not as interested in the culture and certainly have no interest in learning the language. I do like their comics though.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Aug 8, 2019 7:57 PM

Nov 2009
yes and no. I'm kinda too lazy to learn the language. I would love to visit one day but I dont know about living there.
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Aug 8, 2019 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
Only if I were rich and don't require to work there, then, yeah, there is a possibility. But then again, you can find a sweet spot pretty much in any other country if you have the money.
Aug 8, 2019 8:11 PM

Aug 2015
Gorochu said:
Having live in Japan during business trip, no. First of all, there are far more old people in Japan than younger people than other countries. You will see more old ladies than young Japanese girls. Secondly, most Japanese women are not as beautiful as what anime or JAV portray them to be. Thirdly, living cost is high.

Don't be fooled by anime. Too many weeaboos think having Japanese wife/girlfriend is a trophy wife. It's nothing like that.

And don't expect Japanese women to like you just because you are white and love anime. If you are seen as unattractive in your home country, chances are,Japanese women will feel the same about you. Your luck with women in Japan will be the same as your luck with women in your own home country.

Still one thing I like about Japanese women is their moan. I bang some Japanese women in brothel, Tobita Shinchi. Maybe it because I watch hentai and the way Japanese moan turn me on. LOL!

*insert Galaxy Brain meme here* This dude gets it 110%.

Aug 8, 2019 8:25 PM

Feb 2016
No. The Japanese seem rather hostile to foreigners and I’m definitely not a fan of their Mount & Blade ”less talking, more working!” approach to life. Not to mention, a nation that has vending machines that sell used knickers and has trains with ‘women only’ carriages to combat rampant molestation isn’t the sort of place I’d be proud to call home.
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Aug 8, 2019 8:25 PM

Aug 2011
Why would I want to live in a xenophobic island where I can't even speak the language?
That sounds like a terrible idea.
Aug 8, 2019 9:15 PM

Jun 2008
I’ve had the pleasure of visiting Japan 2 different times in the past year or so and here’s my opinion on this subject...

First of all, Japan is a place I’d recommend to anyone and everyone, not just anime fans...there is something for everyone! Amazing food, culture, sub-cultures, landscape, sights, and so much more!

You simply can’t get bored and I guarantee you’ll have a great time.

Then again, this is from the viewpoint of a tourist...someone on Vacation spending money and letting loose...I’m sure living there would be drastically different.

I’ve often heard Japan is very Xenophobic...it’s probably true...however, in my two trips to Japan I experienced very courteous and friendly people...and the customer service at restaurants, my hotel, etc...was insanely good, like, I’m American, I’m used to BAD customer service, so being treated so well was VERY nice.

Japan is also expensive...so if you want to visit, be prepared for your wallet to hate you. But, at the same time there’s plenty of things to see and do that are inexpensive so you gotta be wise and not go overboard.

I think I’m ok with visiting Japan once in awhile than actually living there.

I’m actually gonna try to go for the 2020 Olympics which has me VERY hyped!
Aug 8, 2019 9:37 PM
Aug 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA I think you need to watch this video buddy
a
Aug 8, 2019 9:44 PM

Oct 2014
No, not really. I like Anime but everything I've read about and seen (documentaries and such) about actual Japanese society has pretty much given me the impression it's not a place that I, a non-Japanese person, would want to live.

Although the biggest reason is that I wouldn't be comfortable being around people who weren't fluent in English as I have no intention of learning a new language.
Aug 8, 2019 10:03 PM

Jan 2009
lol nah xenophobia/racism is so common there, overwork culture and shame culture that give birth to the hikkikomori phenomenon and even high suicide rates so no thanks i rather die in this shitty third world country than there
Aug 8, 2019 10:44 PM

May 2016
not really but i'd love to go someday and buy sooo much manga

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Aug 9, 2019 3:45 AM

Feb 2018
I would move to Japan because it's a very clean and safe country

I wouldn't because I'd be too far away from the rest of my family

Aug 9, 2019 4:04 AM

Dec 2009
Japan isnt so great country people think it is.. As a foreigner, I would not like living there. Also I cant speak the language.
Aug 9, 2019 5:07 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
ugmon said:
lol nah xenophobia/racism is so common there

What makes you think so? I don't think racism is a common thing.
Aug 9, 2019 5:19 AM

Jan 2009
149597871 said:
ugmon said:
lol nah xenophobia/racism is so common there

n 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about deep and profound racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan#Comment_by_U.N._special_rapporteur_on_racism_and_xenophobia

Japan racism survey reveals one in three foreigners experience discrimination
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/japan-racism-survey-reveals-one-in-three-foreigners-experience-discrimination

things like those i read over the years
Aug 9, 2019 5:55 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
ugmon said:
149597871 said:

n 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about deep and profound racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan#Comment_by_U.N._special_rapporteur_on_racism_and_xenophobia

Japan racism survey reveals one in three foreigners experience discrimination
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/japan-racism-survey-reveals-one-in-three-foreigners-experience-discrimination

things like those i read over the years

Fair enough, a 14-year-old research is a bit outdated but when it comes to some of the issues mentioned in the second one (it's still a bit old) I can try to explain.

Renting a house/apartment in Japan is very difficult for foreigners but it has very little to do with racism in my opinion, the biggest problem is that you in many of the cases you'll need to have an income that is at least 3 times higher than the rent and at least one (sometimes at least two) guarantor(s) who can vouch for you and in most cases they must be Japanese as well. Actually it's not really discrimination as I believe they have the same requirements for native Japanese people as well, it's just the fact that it is much harder for foreigners to meet those requirements. I've heard about certain accidents where people were denied solely because of the fact that they are not Japanese but I don't think it is as often as 1 out of 3 people. I do believe the system needs to be improved though.

"One in four people who had sought a job said they were denied employment because they were a foreigner"

This one kinda bothers me, as many of the foreigners lack the Japanese language skills required for some jobs so I find those people to be very confident in themselves to put the blame purely on their skin color and not think of something else.. Again not denying that there might be places where this is a thing.

The last point is about derogatory remarks, this can be considered racist depending on the context/situation which I'm not familiar with. I've experienced it like once, by some drunk people in their 60-70s, although it wasn't something that I consider rude, especially considering that they could barely walk in a straight line.

I'm also aware of the "gaijin seat" thing that has become popular recently (where nobody sits near the foreigner even if the train is full) but this is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

Again yes, there is discrimination, radical nationalists, etc. I can't think of a country that hasn't. However I wouldn't call it a common thing. In fact in many places I get far better treatment than I would in my home country and maybe in any country that I've been to so far.
149597871Aug 9, 2019 6:16 AM
Aug 9, 2019 6:12 AM

Mar 2014
Nope! With my luck, as soon as I set foot on Japanese land, it'll trigger an earthquake which triggers a volcanic eruption which will trigger a tsunami which'll trigger Godzilla.
Aug 9, 2019 6:55 AM

Apr 2017
I did and even looked into programs that would allow me to until I learned more about Japanese society. I would consider living there for a year or so but I wouldn't try to just up and move there unless it was with a western company.
There is a reason that many anime geared toward adults idealize the high-school years. The business culture over there is extremely toxic at all levels and the society is unfortunately rather sexist.
High taxes, stagnate wages, blatant discrimination toward foreigners in all areas of society.

Though, the new and younger generation seems to be improving things somewhat.
Awoo :3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 3 hours ago

8 by tsukareru »»
2 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

71 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

9 by LoveYourEyes »»
36 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

23 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

312 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.