Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aug 7, 1:40 PM

I'm on episode 7 of Gintama at the time I'm writing this, and while I find it to be kinda charming, funny even at times, I seriously don't understand what's great about this series, other than the absurd setting. Does the series become funnier later on? Because so far the humor is very standard anime comedy: characters yelling around very small, dumb jokes. I heard that the later episodes switch between tragedy and comedy, which sounds awesome though.
I don't dislike this series, I kinda like it in fact, but I'm torn on whether I should continue watching or not.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Aug 7, 1:42 PM

What makes this series so great? <-- Assuming it's great.

Aug 7, 1:45 PM

The setting itself is quite original, but what makes it so great is two things imo:
- first as the time goes by, the mangaka sought more and more elaborate jokes (even if relying on potty humour every once in a while), and that's like the opposite of Japanese humour which is basically repetition jokes.
- second, as a comical manga, Gintama has always been kind of satirical of shounen in general, except being published in a shounen magazine itself, it sometimes does serious arcs that are some of the best shounen material out there.

Aug 7, 1:50 PM

If you have to ask that question then i say you should drop it. I'm sure there'll be lots of fans telling you it gets better later, but it's up to you whether or not you're willing to wait for that to happen. The humour and characters never clicked with me personally.

Aug 7, 1:54 PM

EratiK said:
The setting itself is quite original, but what makes it so great is two things imo:
- first as the time goes by, the mangaka sought more and more elaborate jokes (even if relying on potty humour every once in a while), and that's like the opposite of Japanese humour which is basically repetition jokes.

What do you mean by elaborate humor? I noticed a few times in Gintama so far where the joke is repeated several times, but it doesn't bother me that much.
So far, the jokes that I've found the most funny have been the ones that have build up and pay off (like the package being the bomb) or the jokes that lead to another joke (like Kagura's puking). Will there be more jokes like that?
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Aug 7, 2:08 PM

Felt the same when I started the series, all the way up until the start of the Benizakura arc. I stuck with it though and came to love the characters through each arc that develops the cast further. It's not easy committing to a series as long as Gintama, but I'd say it's certainly worth it - and the ratings tell you many others would agree.

Aug 7, 2:09 PM

@HopefulNihilist
I'm talking like over the course of several hundreds episodes. It's not uncommon in Gintama to have an absurd setting, a Japanese pun, delirious reactions and a twisted historical reference at the same time. It's something that is quite intricate and not obvious if you're not familiar with Japanese culture and/or watching with average subs. It's that mix that makes the anime special for a lot of people, but at the same time the layers make it not immediately funny to a lot of people, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Aug 7, 2:48 PM

I felt the same way early on about the series, I don't even know exactly when, maybe around 20 eps in did I actually start to laugh at some of the jokes.

Gintama is probably the best example of straight man humor, so if you don't like that in the first place then chances are you won't enjoy the series as much. The serious arcs are really well done though, they do come much later on. Only downside about the serious ones is that they tend to end up being very repetitive in terms of structure

Plus it also depends on how much you like the characters. Gintoki is evidently the most likable one in the series, but some characters like Shimura Tae and Kyubei I didn't really like them all that much so their skits weren't as enjoyable to watch. But Gintama does have a very big cast with their fair bits of screen time

If you like it so far though, then I'd think you might like it later down the road. Also keep in mind that S1 of Gintama isn't even the funniest one, Gintama' and Gintama dot have even better comedy

I'd also advise not going for Crunchyroll subs, as they leave out a lot of T/N about references that are made (and the show makes a lot)
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Aug 7, 2:52 PM

What a coincidence, I dropped it at episode 7 as well, then got convince to continue, only to drop it at episode 8. Comedy wasn't my thing to begin with, so for me the series wasn't the problem it was me.

Aug 7, 3:10 PM

It was for me first kinda hard to start Gintama as well, but now that I've completely finished the series, I have to say that it is definitely one of my favourite animes. It's understandable though why it's hard for some people to get into. It really does take some effort to pull through sometimes, but that's a natural consequence for an anime that's this long. Sometimes the humour might feel lacking in the beginning but in my experience the funnier episodes did come a bit later.

My suggestion is to finish it though, there are many great episodes and arcs that are completely worth your time.

Aug 7, 3:23 PM
Considering your tastes, I think you should not watch gintama.

Aside from some boring episodes, Shitsuro (shit-tier villain) and Okita Shitgo (annoying sadistic fuckface), I lke Gintama overall.

Aug 7, 3:32 PM

EratiK said:
@HopefulNihilist
I'm talking like over the course of several hundreds episodes. It's not uncommon in Gintama to have an absurd setting, a Japanese pun, delirious reactions and a twisted historical reference at the same time. It's something that is quite intricate and not obvious if you're not familiar with Japanese culture and/or watching with average subs. It's that mix that makes the anime special for a lot of people, but at the same time the layers make it not immediately funny to a lot of people, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Eh, the Japanese puns, and twisted historical references aren't things I'll understand. Considering how a lot of Gintama fans aren't from Japan, why do they enjoy the puns and twisted historical references?
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Aug 7, 3:56 PM

HopefulNihilist said:
Eh, the Japanese puns, and twisted historical references aren't things I'll understand. Considering how a lot of Gintama fans aren't from Japan, why do they enjoy the puns and twisted historical references?
I wouldn't know about other people, but as a Japanese learner myself I enjoy them. But it's a very rich anime so different people might answer different things.

Just look at this thread, some people like the characterisation more, some other the comedy, etc.

Aug 8, 3:32 PM
drop it its not worth the time wasted on it. go watch something that is more useful of your time. or go read the superior comedy manga that is cromartie high school
A: No. but to sum up, This is either real or a transcedental hypersimulation indistinguishable from reality.
Q: how to tell the difference ?
A: wait for the power to fail. it always does.

Aug 16, 3:44 PM
For people who didn't start yet: I would skip the first two eps and watch them after ep 36, and if you think about watching the 2005 Jump Special, don't. It will fuck up the proper introduction of characters, you can watch it after ep 48, if you absolutely have to.

The first 15 episodes are rather boring, they're meant to introduce the main characters. The next 20 episodes or so offer relatively funny puns here and there, I almost quit though but the Shinsengumi and Hasegawa episodes made me stick with the series. Then the Umibozu arc starts and it was kinda a payoff of sorts for not quitting.

One general tip: Don't try to binge this series. If you watched multiple episodes per day up until now, stop. Take your time. Then with episode 58 the Benizakura arc starts, i.e. the first serious arc. This is the arc that sealed the deal for a lot of people, there's also a movie version out there. I would recommend to at least stick until this. After you finish it, again, take your time. I even paused for like 3 months because I wasn't in the mood. But then I started to watch again, and man, I am so glad I continued, because...

With episode 76 the Yagyu arc starts. For me personally, this was the heart of the series (I am at ep 120 atm). I almost died laughing, you'll know what I mean when you see it. It's my favorite arc. Combine this with the Mitsuba arc that starts a couple of episodes later, i.e. ep 86, which is rather serious and deep and I think you'll understand why so many people like this series.

Another really good arc starts with episode 101, i.e. The Shinsengumi Crisis Arc. Very funny, but also rather deep. Then a bunch of casual episodes start again, but by this point the comedy is a lot better. I think you won't think about quitting anymore. I watched 120 episodes, I take my time and I'm excited for every new episode.

Aug 18, 6:06 AM
Recycled_Content said:
drop it its not worth the time wasted on it. go watch something that is more useful of your time. or go read the superior comedy manga that is cromartie high school

Your comment is a waste of time in my opinion.Toxic and useless too...

Aug 18, 6:32 AM
wow someone actually responded to it. did you even check what scores i gave to gintama ? (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)
A: No. but to sum up, This is either real or a transcedental hypersimulation indistinguishable from reality.

Aug 18, 6:42 AM

You have to wait till benizakura arc which starts at episode 58 to get a serious glimpse of action that gintama can have. After that there are a lot of funny and serious arcs that the series can provide. The comedy gets pure gold as the series progresses.

Also, if you are at 7th episode and getting bored then don't worry. This series has a lot of great characters like katsura, hijikata, sougo, kondo, tsukuyo, hasegawa who go through a lot of development throughout the series. Even the characters like sacchan, otose, otae who seem annoying at first will have their moments.

Also if you make it to the 2015 season, then you will witness two of the greatest shonen arcs in existence.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 18, 7:04 AM
madao is the true mvp of Bintama

Aug 19, 8:28 PM
Recycled_Content said:
madao is the true mvp of Bintama

Nigga please, its Elizabeth. Gintoki, Hijikata, Sougo Okita, Takasugi, and Katsura may rank high in the polls, but they will never transcend the gloriousness of Elizabeth.

Aug 29, 4:33 PM
I know it might be too late to answer, but i too don't like gintama comedy, but the serious arc are at least kinda good, i would actually recommend to skip all comedy episodes and go straight to the arcs, since i don't see that much development and progression in the comedy episodes. So long story short try to watch the benizakura movie if you enjoy it then go on with gintama, if not just drop it.

Aug 29, 4:43 PM
I have the opposite opinion. I love Gintama's slapstick humor. As the series goes on, there are some running jokes established that show up often. I like the "straight man" routine too. The characters are quirky and hilarious in their own ways.

On the other hand, I don't like the serious parts outside of a few parts that mostly revolve around the Shinsengumi. It feels like cliche shounen and after a few times, you can pretty much tell what's going to happen (protag, with power of friendship, overcomes big bad, then big bad regrets everything they have done). Of course this isn't how it always pans out but is still prevalent.

So if the humor doesn't really stick with you, I would drop it. There's better shows to watch if you want serious stuff.