Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 7, 2019 12:28 PM
Apr 2016
His first (and probably only true, since he seemed to think about nothing except for her) love was unrequited, his girlfriend broke up with him, he quit his job, his room was full of beer cans and trash...
No matter how you look at it, this is the final stage of someone ready to commit suicide. It was almost as if the smile in the last scene signified he lost absolutely everything, and now, without any attachment to this world, he decided to kill himself...

This can't be true, can it? I'm like seriously depressed right now. Please link me some interview where is stated he ended up happy... How could Akari find a new love, have a happy life while Takaki ended up... like this??
JanPriAug 9, 2019 2:40 PM
Aug 9, 2019 12:37 PM

Oct 2016
I doubt so, Takaki was depressed but he accepted his position. That's it. While the open ending leaves you to make your own ideas, I think Takaki killing himself is a bleak possibility, given what we have seen over the three episodes. To put it straight, if he can be this resilient after years of being away, I doubt seeing her would make him go over the edge. The ending bit about snow and watching the cherry blossoms together makes me think there's more to it than him killing himself.

I have an YT channel where I post music and stuff I like, click here to visit!

Aug 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Apr 2016
ryuushi said:
I doubt so, Takaki was depressed but he accepted his position. That's it. While the open ending leaves you to make your own ideas, I think Takaki killing himself is a bleak possibility, given what we have seen over the three episodes. To put it straight, if he can be this resilient after years of being away, I doubt seeing her would make him go over the edge. The ending bit about snow and watching the cherry blossoms together makes me think there's more to it than him killing himself.

Well, I certainly hope so...
Aug 19, 2019 2:31 AM

Sep 2014
He might've not killed himself (though a possibility), but I'm pretty sure he didn't have much of a happy life. At least not in the near future...

Though I find it funny how she moved on years ago, just remembered him when she saw that old letter, yet he kept on thinking about her throughout the years. A well depicted story that happens from time to time, but quite depressing nonetheless...
Dec 4, 2019 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think he killed himself, he may have had a fresh beginning from there.. I guess he just resigned to life, sometimes, that way you can have a fresh beginning even though your feelings of love may not necessarily change, maybe the yearning stops.. And sometimes, your own love will set you free.

I certainly don't think he was suicidal tho..
removed-userDec 4, 2019 5:00 AM
Dec 18, 2019 1:20 AM
Dec 2018
No, bro, why? Lol, this type of reaction from people is one of the reasons why I love NTR. He just moves on with his life, it's the entire point of the movie.
Sep 3, 2020 12:38 AM
Aug 2020
JanPri said:
His first (and probably only true, since he seemed to think about nothing except for her) love was unrequited, his girlfriend broke up with him, he quit his job, his room was full of beer cans and trash...
No matter how you look at it, this is the final stage of someone ready to commit suicide. It was almost as if the smile in the last scene signified he lost absolutely everything, and now, without any attachment to this world, he decided to kill himself...

This can't be true, can it? I'm like seriously depressed right now. Please link me some interview where is stated he ended up happy... How could Akari find a new love, have a happy life while Takaki ended up... like this??

I like to believe that smile was acknowledgement that he could finally move on with his life because he'd gotten the closure he needed.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't read the manga, but I heard that it continues a bit after the point where the movie ends... and that Kanae finds Takaki again and there's an indication that the two of them end up together. :)
Sep 15, 2020 11:32 PM
Sep 2018
At the end he just realizes that he finally fulfilled his promsie with her. To see the cherry blossoms together once again. She may not have noticed, but they were together under them once more before that train passed between them.

The whole ending is about him feeling the guilt of having the relationship fail not due to distance, but his lack of effort to make it work.He knows it was his fault. Whereas she put in her full effort and was able to move on, knowing she had given her 100%. When he realizes he fulfilled his promise with her, he is now able to move on.
Sep 21, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2012
tzy_19 said:
At the end he just realizes that he finally fulfilled his promsie with her. To see the cherry blossoms together once again. She may not have noticed, but they were together under them once more before that train passed between them.

That is the bit that always makes me tear up.
Shoot first, think never.
Nov 14, 2021 10:49 PM
Dec 2017
No he didn't killed himself in either movie or the book.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.