3It was OK
9.3%
2Disliked it
3.3%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.5
246 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 7, 2019 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's about time they put their work on sale for public. It's cool to see Carole meeting a character that inspired her to get into the music industry. I'm just glad to see Carole and Tuesday's hard work paying off.

It's hard to make a name with so much competition.
Aug 7, 2019 9:36 AM

Nov 2007
#1 vs. #53. Song produced by proper company wins.

Random people as background band? They are not bad.

There's still stalker problem for ex-child actress.

A popular singer. The manager produced her before.

There's something wrong with her, though. She's staying with them.

When Carole mentioned that she admires her, she went mentally crushed.

That singer went missing the next morning, though. It turns out she went under pressure to the extend that she took medicine because lots of people w. only money in mind went to her after becoming popular. They decided to sing cover of her song so that they can cheer her up.

Two new songs (one their original, one cover). Watching them performing made her want to sing again.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 8, 2019 7:38 AM

Mar 2008
Such a good episode. I feel bad for Flora. I'm glad Carole & Tuesday are there to inspire her to get back on her feet. On a side note, Holy shit a young, thinner Gus. xD Plus That bassist was derpy looking. lmao
Aug 8, 2019 8:15 AM

Jul 2017
Heh, debuting at #53 seems a bit awry, but it's a step in the right direction.

Angela on the other hand, is facing stalker worries.

Along the way, Carole and Tuesday managed to find some ragtag kids who are good in their skills, along with the dishevelled woman Flora who gave young Gus his determination to go far and beyond, until company distribution where she got instaneous success and fame.

Unfortunately the Flora of Carole's fandom wasn't the Flora of current times. And it's all the constraints of company management that's to blame for her not wanting to pursue singing. Gus let go of the one vital string when Flora could still be salvaged, but there's still hope from that hopelessness all those years ago.

Carole and Tuesday's dedication for Flora is a cover of her song, and no doubt the song sounds soothing, but it is a song to get her back on her feet.

Simply beautiful.
Aug 8, 2019 9:08 AM

May 2017
I doubt it but Angela's stalker is giving me Cybelle vibes.
Aug 8, 2019 10:02 AM

Feb 2019
I am frustrated with how glaringly obvious the attempts at plot twists are now. Please surprise me and say that Angela's current manager is not actually the stalker. The contrivances, like Carole and Tuesday finding a random backup band, are a bit easier to swallow because it is pretty stereotypical Watanabe fare.

This episode was decent, glad to finally have more of Gus' backstory. The songs were fine but nothing to really write home about and Flora's auto-tuned voice was jarring. The scene where Gus finds Flora by the fountain was uniquely animated. I wonder who was working on that scene. The art style is familiar.

I am really enjoying the color palette of this show. For being a sci-fi it sure features its share of vegetation and fertile green shades.

Looking at the current ratings I have a strong inclination that this is going to be another underappreciated anime. That is too bad. Hopefully the ratings shoot back up again after the world wide release.
TheCommonerAug 8, 2019 10:07 AM
Aug 8, 2019 10:18 AM

Feb 2007
Carole and Tuesday are now in the progress of meeting broken legends who will each in their own way make them better and are in turn inspired by them. Tobe, then Desmond, and now Flora - the latter maybe even more important for Gus's growth.

Nice find with their new band as well. ^_^

LocalTrashcan said:

Her current assistant seems the most suspicious to me. And to Angela herself, it seems, seeing how she caught on to the use of "knight" by both of them.
luinthoronAug 8, 2019 10:22 AM
Aug 8, 2019 10:38 AM

Jun 2009
luinthoron said:
LocalTrashcan said:

Her current assistant seems the most suspicious to me. And to Angela herself, it seems, seeing how she caught on to the use of "knight" by both of them.

But the last message seems to be pointing away from that theory, implying that the stalker might target the manager next...

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Aug 8, 2019 10:55 AM

Mar 2016
The songs are good, but I never felt any emotion coming from them. I think I finally kind of realised why. The songs and voices are done by different people. I feel like they should've just used Japanese songs, and let the voice-actors sing them. The voice actors are probably more connected to the characters than the random singers they used, so they should be able to sing the songs with more emotion.
Aug 8, 2019 11:22 AM
Jan 2019
Another beautiful episode. Lately, I finish every episode of this anime on the verge of tears. Seriously, I love him, it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.

Then, Flora was the first artist Gus became interested in and was enchanted by her beautiful voice. She really was beautiful ... but in this episode they showed us how many artists end up after coming to fame.
Gus is a great man, and a great friend, despite everything, he supports his artists until the end. He also deserves the applause, my respects Gus. What a beautiful detail Carole and Tuesday had when making a cover in honor of Flora, the artist that Carole admired since childhood. I hope she can recover her singing and her mood. Beautiful song.

Ps: Carole and Tueday are lucky, they just found the musicians they needed, and for free, hahaha.
Aug 8, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2014
tsubasalover said:
#1 vs. #53. Song produced by proper company wins.

There's still stalker problem for ex-child actress.
A popular singer. The manager produced her before.

There's something wrong with her, though. She's staying with them.

When Carole mentioned that she admires her, she went mentally crushed.

That singer went missing the next morning, though. It turns out she went under pressure to the extend that she took medicine because lots of people w. only money in mind went to her after becoming popular. They decided to sing cover of her song so that they can cheer her up.

Two new songs (one their original, one cover). Watching them performing made her want to sing again.

To be honest Angela turned out to be a better singer than the main duo cast. Her voice is really something to be feared now. Her songs are more like raring to go.

This show really seems to show the darker side of the showbiz. Like how fame and popularity could be your own downfall if you're not ready to to take it on.

Btw Gus was actually telling the truth when he said he produced Flora XD

Recent songs from C&T seem really good like Army of Two and this recent cover of Give you the World.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 8, 2019 12:28 PM

Feb 2018
Good episode, Gus really helped out Flora and her singing is really good. Nice that Carole and Tuesday inspired her back to singing again.

Those band guys they picked up performed good too.
Aug 8, 2019 12:48 PM

Sep 2011
Another moving episode with one important encounter. Flora, the talent Gus found, and the person who inspired Carole. It was sad to see what happened to her. She was in the top, and had everything she wanted. Until people started to use and betray her, and nothing but loneliness and self-sabotaging remained. I found it funny that Gus blamed himself for leaving her, when it was her that decided to go on without him. And I don't blame her either, money and glory were waiting, but as time proved, Gus was the one person who cared about her.

Well, she has nothing left to lose, she is with him again, and Carole and Tuesday are welcoming her with open arms too. I hope she manages to get back on her feet, even if she doesn't sing professionally again. Maybe it's not too late for her and Gus. I don't know how to feel about that trio though, they feel too random and convenient right now. And that Aaron guy is definitely creepy, Angela is in danger. Either the "knight" was eavesdropping their talk or he is the stalker himself. I hope nothing bad happens with her, but stars don't always have it easy for many reasons, and I like how the anime is tackling all these different angles.
Aug 8, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2012
The same structure as the last episode. We get introduced to yet another person whose fate is connected to the music industry, but I wished they were not so shallow. All in all an okayish episode that manages to create emotional moments and progresses the story slightly, but misses anything truly remarkable.
Aug 8, 2019 1:55 PM

Nov 2016
Offering a helping hand despite what happened with Flora,Gus has really a heart of gold.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 8, 2019 1:57 PM

Jul 2016
Don't think this episode was as strong as the last few, but still good. It was fun to watch people last week trying to figure out which irl singer Desmond was meant to be a parallel to, and I think we're gonna be doing the same this week with Flora. I'm gonna get my foot in the door and say... Madonna? EDIT: Never mind it's totally Whitney Houston.

I kind of like the idea that C&T can just find some random kids busking under a bridge and be like "you wanna play back-up for us" and they're just like "yeah". Respect buskers, everyone.

Also, hang on, the stalker isn't Cybelle? Well that's kind of disappointing, story-wise, because we know literally nothing about the new manager guy who supposedly is the stalker. Angela's whole subplot has been kind of a mess to be honest. Nothing seems to be sticking emotionally because we haven't got to spend enough time with her. As much as I love meeting all this new and interesting characters, maybe the time could've been better spent fleshing out Angela's story. C&T are doing okay for right now, so could we get a few episodes solely focused on Angela please?
ChilliePeppersAug 8, 2019 11:33 PM
Aug 8, 2019 2:17 PM

Feb 2014
Just like with the previous episode, we get to see another artist who was very popular for their time, but disappeared from the radar for ages. This time, it was Flora, a nice lady with a great singing voice that got the attention of Gus back when he was younger.

With his passion and determination, he was able to make Flora successful and although she did move on to being managed by a large company, Flora was optimistic about her chances of even more success as a solo singer. Sadly, this path would lead her down the spiraling path that people betray her and left her alone for all this time.

It was her music that inspired Carole to sing in the first place, so it was fitting and she and Tuesday played a cover song of Flora's during their time on the outdoor stage. It sounded great, as did their Day By Day song, too. =)

This was a really nice episode and it showed just how generous and kind Gus really is, despite his many flaws. ^_^
Aug 8, 2019 2:50 PM
Dec 2014
Show is so cookie-cutter and formulaic but the songs REALLY push this to be enjoyable. The way past episodes flow into future episodes is well done. Like how Gus didn't want C&T to sign with the label and now we know why.

Very underrated for what it is. A basic idea that brings in other cliches but does it well. Especially like the touch on how every "popular" singer they run into is someone IRL. Flora is Whitney Houston. Desmond is David Bowie. Crystal is Beyonce.
BlindSniperAug 8, 2019 3:02 PM
Aug 8, 2019 3:17 PM

Sep 2017
So Flora was probably somewhat inspired by Whitney Houston; however, Carole and Tuesday have probably saved her from suffering such a dark fate. It was a nice side story. It's a bit of a meme how Carole and Tuesday were just talking about needing a band and just happen to run into one, but I think it's not really supposed to be taken seriously.
Aug 8, 2019 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
This was actually pretty good episode, shame whole series wasn't like this.

I mean, I would like this series a lot more if whole things acted like the road movie around the Mars with both girls meeting people and places, facing the problems of singers' life and gaining the popularity on the go.
Aug 8, 2019 3:44 PM

Sep 2017
Floras sogs bring me back when me and my dad would ride around italy for hours and hours when moving and he’d always put these type of songs on,its really nostalgic for some reason.

The band in the back was SO good too-
I hope that they let the drum,bass and guitar in their songs more bc it fucking slaps

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 8, 2019 3:46 PM

Sep 2017
Mich666 said:
This was actually pretty good episode, shame whole series wasn't like this.

I mean, I would like this series a lot more if whole things acted like the road movie around the Mars with both girls meeting people and places, facing the problems of singers' life and gaining the popularity on the go.

Isnt that like.....whats happening anyways? They are going places,different venues,meeting different producers and people,& im pretty sure the “issues with being a singer/celebrity” will come too.

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 8, 2019 4:18 PM

Oct 2012
tookawaiii said:
Isnt that like.....whats happening anyways? They are going places,different venues,meeting different producers and people,& im pretty sure the “issues with being a singer/celebrity” will come too.

My idea was more like them going on tour with their own band with episodic stories of people they met while also facing troubles and drama in their own group.

This anime is bit random in this regard if you know what I mean and Mars Brightest arc was just awful waste of time.
Aug 8, 2019 5:51 PM

Apr 2014
That last song MMMMHHHHHPPPPPPP....Perfection.
Aug 8, 2019 7:00 PM

Jan 2011
decent episode actually liked the songs this time around, depending on how you view this and the last episode "not much happened" but it is nice to show how other artist were effected by the industry only thing is why are we only hearing about her now despite Carole treating her as such a big role model( unless i missed it early on) i just find it a bit hard to care for these one note episodes based around people we've just heard of but maybe this time flora will stick around.

also great another stalker mini arc for our girl Angela

thanks river band guys you were good mvps that hardly anyone mentioned lol
Aug 8, 2019 7:23 PM
Oct 2013
I wanted to cry seeing Flora. Her resemblance to Whitney Houston is almost undeniable. Hopefully her story turns out better.
TokyoCrazyPXDAug 8, 2019 7:40 PM
Aug 8, 2019 7:39 PM
Jun 2017
i love the cover that CAROLE AND TUESDAY have just perform, the song is so beautiful...

now presenting the advantage of having a music company promoting you vs self promotion:

angela- #1 debut single
C & T - #53 debut single

this just to show you that its really easy when you are being promoted by a big music company.

and next is FLORA-actually this happens to some popular artist and singers right there, when your become too popular, all people are within you, but when your starting to fall, they will leave you all behind... thats why you meed SOMEONE THAT YOU COULD TRUST TO...

BEAUTIFUL EPISODE..
Aug 8, 2019 7:57 PM
Mar 2015
Nice of them bringing Flora back from the edge. Angela is surrounded by creepy people
Aug 8, 2019 8:07 PM

Jan 2013
well....this episode made me anticipate for volume 2 of the song collections. Flora's song and the cover song were bangers.
damn, like a few others here pointed it out, i really hope they dont make Flora be another Whitney Houston situation (if they bring her back) bc that was the first thing on my mind as well
Aug 8, 2019 8:37 PM

Oct 2015
I didn't feel for Flora, I think she deserved what was done to her after she betrayed Gus like that! The worst thing she was too prideful to apologize to him, making her the biggest shitbag I've ever laid eyes on.

But i liked that Gus became a gentleman in the whole situation, trying to lift up her spirits by making her sing again. Her song was beautiful, Carole and Tues did a phenomenal job on it!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 8, 2019 8:50 PM
Apr 2013
Oh how this episode got me emotional at the end!
Aug 8, 2019 9:54 PM

Jan 2015
Another beautiful, moving episode... So good to see Flora finding her voice again, alongside Carole & Tuesday’s cover of her old song, in the end. To tell the truth, I was almost reminded of Whitney Houston, by her.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 8, 2019 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
easily the best episode in the series so far...wow!

FuMomo-kun said:
The songs are good, but I never felt any emotion coming from them. I think I finally kind of realised why. The songs and voices are done by different people. I feel like they should've just used Japanese songs, and let the voice-actors sing them. The voice actors are probably more connected to the characters than the random singers they used, so they should be able to sing the songs with more emotion.

fully agreed 100% they should have gotten seiyuu like saori or minori chihara who actually sing so they can do the songs too. they literally had aoi shouta as that minor character and he didn't get to sing.
Aug 9, 2019 12:39 AM

Jul 2009
lihle808 said:
I didn't feel for Flora, I think she deserved what was done to her after she betrayed Gus like that! The worst thing she was too prideful to apologize to him, making her the biggest shitbag I've ever laid eyes on.

She deserved what happened to her? Really? She jumped at the opportunity to make it big as a singer, which let's be honest most of us would do if our dream was being dangled right in front of our eyes, and she got fucked by the music industry cause it's hella destructive and fucks everyone up with how toxic it can be.

I think you're wrong in saying she was too prideful. I think it was that she was too ashamed of herself to apologize. She made a mistake..but she redeemed herself in the end, did she not? Why are you so quick to call her a shitbag when we see how deeply she regretted her actions in the end? I'm sure you've made your fair share of mistakes in your lifetime. Is it justified then if I call you a shitbag even after you've made up for what you've done and tried to become a better person in the end? Maybe it was shitty of her to do, but to say she's the biggest piece of shit is just dumb - she made a mistake, recognized she did, and tried to make up for it; it's part of the path of growing and becoming a better person.
Aug 9, 2019 1:51 AM

Sep 2010
Quite a touching episode. Glad C&T could inspire Flora to sing again - poor girl didn't deserve the shit she got

pretty sure I know who's Angela's stalker is

Seems like next week we'll get The Return of Ertegun
KuroYume-96Aug 9, 2019 1:54 AM
Aug 9, 2019 2:42 AM

Aug 2013
Flora...clearly the Whitney Houston tribute of this series. That was a beautiful episode. It definitely shows how the music industry can destroy you especially when you fall in with the wrong people.
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 9, 2019 3:13 AM

May 2015
I wish I could find things in life has fast as Carol and Tuesday find a band
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Aug 9, 2019 6:44 AM

Sep 2010
Luroon said:

I feel you buddy - same here
Aug 9, 2019 9:09 AM

Jan 2011
Flora reminds me too much of Whitney Houston.

Some other thoughts, I really love the title of this episode as it ties back into the show. I also like how they are making Angela a worthy opponent but also someone to clear about. I do think they shouldn't make super obvious. I found that to be a little weak in comparison to when you saw Tao making an AI of her a few eps ago.

Great to see Gus get more backstory and nice work on flushing out Flora. I wonder if she'll be sticking around. I do hope they work on Carole and Tuesday finding a solid backing band. Outside of that this episode had a lot of more story going on than the last one and it works to its advantage.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 9, 2019 10:13 AM

Oct 2012
Aaaaah, they refrained from using pronouns when referring to Desmond :') I'm emotional.
Not a big fan of this episode. I want the show to find a flow again (like in the Mars' brightest arc) instead of all those 1-story episodes. The last one was beautiful, and this one was cool too, but...
Aug 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2017
Well finally they showed the person who inspired Carole to become a singer.Thou her songs were lit but her story was meh. She turned out to be one of those ungrateful girls who just run after success and forget the people that helped her bringing to the place she is now.
Aug 10, 2019 12:20 AM

Dec 2016
Well most of this was a nice feel good episode.

Creepy stalkers are not fun.

Possible redemption for Flora could happen.

Nice back up band they managed to get.
Aug 10, 2019 3:06 AM

Feb 2011
This episode was great!
Aug 10, 2019 3:10 AM

May 2016
Damn has C&T has been hitting a lot of the right notes these last few episodes! I'm loving this second half of the show much, much more. These single ep stories have been great (I feel like Chief Director Shinichiro has more of a hand in these--being a big thing of his), I'm loving how characters are being fleshed out, and the direction the story seems to be taking also has me very hooked (just how will Desmond's story reflect in the final arc? And where is the anti-immigrant movement leading and just what will be C&T's role in it?? Could they get seperated too perhaps?) The show definitely feels like it's kicking into gear and getting serious about itself now.

And that opening! Damn is it growing on me a lot--it might just be even more positive and upbeat than the first. And that ED I definitely prefer, even if it's from Tao's fake AI Angela.

Oh and damn are C&T's songs so much better now that they're enlisting the help of other/backup(??) performers. The tracks were definitely getting limited by just that piano and guitar (which themselves were restricted by needing such recognisble/consistent style and fitting tone). These last three tracks have all been so great.
ZaugrAug 10, 2019 3:16 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2019 7:36 AM

Aug 2016
Am I the only one that wants Angela's stalker to be Cybelle or an unknown? Anyone but Aaron or Katy :(

I enjoyed this episode. In episode 12, Gus spoke about never making amends and reaching out to someone because he was scared I wondered who it was. We finally met, Flora, the one person regrets letting go. Her story showed why Gus turned down the music contract and why he didn't let Carole and Tuesday into the meeting. It shows how toxic the music industry can be.

Give You The World made it into my top 3 C&T soundtrack songs. I hope we get more Flora.

It's interesting that they used an Aretha Franklin song for the title, but the character, Flora, leans heavy into Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston had an amazing voice that could touch souls.

KuroYume-96 said:
Luroon said:

I feel you buddy - same here

Me too ;-)
Aug 10, 2019 7:54 AM
Jun 2011
Carole (Vo.Nai BrXX) has such a beautiful voice.
Aug 10, 2019 9:50 AM
Jan 2017
Mayuka said:
easily the best episode in the series so far...wow!

FuMomo-kun said:

fully agreed 100% they should have gotten seiyuu like saori or minori chihara who actually sing so they can do the songs too. they literally had aoi shouta as that minor character and he didn't get to sing.
I am in the mind set the show should've had an english dub first, so the songs would match better.
I know this puts me in the minority, but it is what it is.
Aug 10, 2019 10:03 AM

Feb 2019
Zaugr said:
And that opening! Damn is it growing on me a lot--it might just be even more positive and upbeat than the first. And that ED I definitely prefer, even if it's from Tao's fake AI Angela.
I actually agree about the opening really growing. It was such a jarring transition from the first opening (easily one of the best I have seen) that I was disappointed—with the song specifically. Now that I have had more time with it I can pick out a lot more of what is happening but its production is to blame as it is muddy in those spots I had issues with.

The ending song is definitely better than the first ending.
Aug 10, 2019 11:06 AM

Aug 2016
Angela is aware of possible clues to stalker, with growing threats of destroying her apartment. That guy doesn't feel right.

C&T finds random background band to join them, luckily but rarely in reality; and comes across Ms. Flora, a former renowned singer discovered by Gus and inspired Carole in music.

Can we have a brief moment of appreciation for the connections Watanabe deployed here? Episodes 15-16 feature 2 seniors in the music industry, Desmond (CV: Kouichi Yamaderashi) and Flora (CV: Megumi Hayashibara), who share the same CVs as leads (Spike Spiegel, Faye Valentine) of Cowboy Bebop (Japanese), i.e. Watanabe's legendary piece of art in 1998.
一期一会
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

180 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

120 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

211 by jumbosan »»
Jan 29, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2019

98 by jumbosan »»
Jan 27, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

158 by jumbosan »»
Jan 25, 10:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.