Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Uh oh, I see feelings of revenge this episode. It's a good thing we finally find out why Ulgar feels such way.

I mean, this anime does have a bit of a dark side sometimes and we're getting more of that this season. An important episode for sure though.
Stark700Aug 7, 2019 6:35 AM
Aug 7, 2019 7:04 AM

Aug 2013
So we learned why Ulgar wanted to kill Luca, because Ulgar believes that Luca's dad (adopted dad to be precise) might be responsible for his brother's death. And we also learned that Luca is intersex. Also, it seems like Charce is hiding something. Overall a good episode I would say.
LeoAug 7, 2019 7:31 AM

Aug 7, 2019 7:08 AM

Aug 2018
The wave on the planet reminded me of the one in Interstellar.

The dramatic scenes were a little contrived, but nothing out of character for the show. 7/10 this week.
Set SCE to AUX
Aug 7, 2019 7:37 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
obviously japan isn't woke and has been doing this kinda thing for a long time, so idgas... but its hard to watch an episode like this and not think of how the west turns this kinda thing into SJW garbage
Aug 7, 2019 7:41 AM

Aug 2018
EcchiGodMamster said:
obviously japan isn't woke and has been doing this kinda thing for a long time, so idgas... but its hard to watch an episode like this and not think of how the west turns this kinda thing into SJW garbage

Referring to Luca's situation? It doesn't feel like they're doing it for wokeness; since I'm pretty sure it fits into the plot. It's not gratuitous like in a lot of western shows, in other words.

Set SCE to AUX
Aug 7, 2019 7:46 AM

Apr 2015
I'm not trying to say that I called Luca being a girl, but I totally did call Luca being a girl... kind of. "My revenge was the closest thing I had to a goal in this trash heap of a life" wins my edgiest line of the season award. Ulgar is cemented as my least favorite character now. He made a serious accusation towards someone based on insubstantial evidence and attacked the family member of the accused. At least that proves he'll have a promising career in journalism. Everyone just being cool with Ulgar still having a gun is stupid too. Just because he's the only one that can use it doesn't mean he should have it. What if he just decides one day that Funicia killed his brother and blows her head off?
CarpLXXXIIAug 7, 2019 8:18 AM
Aug 7, 2019 7:49 AM
Sep 2015
Kanata's lickable muscle finally get mentioned after 6 episodes. It makes me want to get lost with Kanata so I can have some fun with him.
Aug 7, 2019 7:51 AM
Apr 2016
I ship Ulgar and Luca.

Luca also admits that he's bisexual in the manga (as well as calls Kanata "hot" and Aries "pretty"), which is sadly removed in the anime:
Aug 7, 2019 7:52 AM

May 2015
The storytelling in the first half was so lame, I couldn't believe this was actually supposed to be taken seriously. I mean, the way Ulgar just started to retell his sad background story in front of everyone while holding Luca at a gunpoint. And the reasoning for his motive all the more stupid considering he doesn't even have proof that Luca's dad actually killed his brother. And the convenient tsunami just to spice things up at the right moment.

Charce's change in demeanor was probably the only good moment here.
Aug 7, 2019 7:56 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Spaceship said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

Referring to Luca's situation? It doesn't feel like they're doing it for wokeness; since I'm pretty sure it fits into the plot. It's not gratuitous like in a lot of western shows, in other words.

yea, i know, thats what im saying, japan has always done this kinda thing (is it a boy or a girl??) in a non PC way, for a long time, as everything else they do

its just that, the west has recently forced this stuff on us so hard, its hard not to think about it as im watching lol

its unfortunate i can't just watch and not think, oh god, how are the SJW's and even anti-SJWs gonna react to this?

are some people gonna claim this anime got woke? are SJWs gonna jump for joy believing they've made a mark on anime? i mean.. it sucks i even have to question that

i can already see the article talking about how "the twitter" is reacting -___-

i just wish i could watch this current year and be like, "oh another anime trope" and nothing else.. since thats all it is

EcchiGodMamsterAug 7, 2019 8:02 AM
Aug 7, 2019 8:01 AM

Apr 2019
the bestestest most supreme trap of all time

Tsukizono said:
I ship Ulgar and Luca.

Luca also admits that he's bisexual in the manga (as well as calls Kanata "hot" and Aries "pretty"), which is sadly removed in the anime:

haha i know right
they fit perfectly xD

i love it
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 8:09 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The insight into Ulgar's past though was pretty interesting. Even though to his family Ulgar was more or less an outcast the bond that he shared with him can be seen to be a strong one. Ulgar's motivation for revenge sure mixed well with the revelation about Luca's gender though. Looks like family issues are still quite prevalent in the future as well. As is the belief that only man can inherit positions of power. In a way it can be said that Luca and Ulgar are very similar in the pain that they feel from their families. The tidal wave though sure presented quite the unique situation for the team and for Ulgar and Luca though. In the aftermath its nice to see both break out of their shells and reveal their true self to the team. Though Luca seems to enjoy this the most by her teasing. Overall a solid ep that did well to expand upon both Ulgar and Luca's characters while also advancing the main plot. The last revelation though was such an interesting cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what happens next ep.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2019 8:10 AM
Apr 2016
EcchiGodMamster said:
Spaceship said:

yea, i know, thats what im saying, japan has always done this kinda thing (is it a boy or a girl??) in a non PC way, for a long time, as everything else they do

its just that, the west has recently forced this stuff on us so hard, its hard not to think about it as im watching lol

its unfortunate i can't just watch and not think, oh god, how are the SJW's and even anti-SJWs gonna react to this?

are some people gonna claim this anime got woke? are SJWs gonna jump for joy believing they've made a mark on anime? i mean.. it sucks i even have to question that

i just wish i could watch this current year and be like, "oh another anime trope" and nothing else.. since thats all it is

I can assure you that your claim that "SJWs and the west is forcing these tropes on anime" is totally false because Astra is (likely) inspired by a really old manga from the 70s called They were Eleven which is about A BUNCH OF SCHOOLKIDS IN SPACE WITH A POSSIBLE TRAITOR, which ALSO FEATURES AN INTERSEX MAIN CHARACTER. I think it's where Shinohara got the inspiration for Luca from.
Aug 7, 2019 8:12 AM

Oct 2009
HOLY SMOKES I didn't expect this anime to turn this heavy. Colour me impressed with just about everything that was shoved into this episode. Ulgar's story, Luca, the way they slowly realise the thing that probably connects them all together - and, well, the tsunami was perhaps a little too "hollywood", but it unfolded well enough. Some pretty sceneries and quite a few great screenshot opportunities for the featured characters too.

Also, the little details: the shirts Luca and Ulgar suddenly got from wherever? They wear their hearts on those, literally.
And Ulgar's cute af without his cap. xD
yellowheartrenAug 7, 2019 8:18 AM
Aug 7, 2019 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
Luca has boobs. Interesting an anime would include a trans/hermaphrodite character. The translator used phrases like 'I identify as a boy' too. Ulgar got his backstory, his bro seemed cool I guess, not sure what made him so special other than he was nice and saught the truth. Pretty gay when Kanata saved Ulgar. Luca identifies as a boy but basically everyone treats him like a girl... not surprised it turned a rare realistic character trait like a reverse trap for comedy and romance cliches. I'm waiting for anitwitter to get their panties in a bunch over this episode.

Right after the Luca/Ulgar thing ended we got a quick montage that rapidly transitioned the story right into the next arc. Charce is a fraud! At least they said his name enough that I can know it going into his arc.
Aug 7, 2019 8:21 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Tsukizono said:

I can assure you that your claim that "SJWs and the west is forcing these tropes on anime"

i...

i didn't say that...

i said the opposite O___O

im saying its unfortunate that SJW's are something i even have to think about nowadays when anime has ALWAYS been doing this kinda thing
Aug 7, 2019 8:28 AM
Apr 2016
EcchiGodMamster said:
Tsukizono said:

I can assure you that your claim that "SJWs and the west is forcing these tropes on anime"

i...

i didn't say that...

im saying its unfortunate that SJW's are something i even have to think about nowadays when anime has ALWAYS been doing this kinda thing

oops, I misread it, apologies!
Aug 7, 2019 8:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I remember talking to someone online that was born a hermaphrodite last year. I don't have any numbers on it but it must be extremely rare at least. Was quite an interesting person to talk to about their lives though as anything that's normally gender segregated kinda became meaningless for them as there was no such black and white chocie in their regular everyday

As for as Charce goes... idk, even if he's been lying about his origins for some reason I'm still going to cling on to my belief that no one on this ship is really trying to kill the others. It just feels like too much of a happy go lucky execution of this story for it to seriously contain those kinds of sinister themes
Aug 7, 2019 8:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Tsukizono said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

i...

i didn't say that...

oops, I misread it, apologies!

may that day never come lol

japan does it in the way we like it, or at least in a way which it doesn't bother us
Aug 7, 2019 8:53 AM

Mar 2018
Oh look, the Opening still exists! Gotta love it.

As for the story with Luca and Ulgar; That was kind of interesting. It was obvious that he was not the enemy. Interesting story and totally understandable from his point of view. Luckily (or not...), Luca isn't loved either, so good to see nothing would change.

As for Charce, well, Aries has a perfect memory so... What are you actually hiding, good-looking Prince?

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Aug 7, 2019 9:05 AM

Jul 2017
Is it too early to ship Ulgar x Luca?

Next up is Charce's backstory, maybe we might get a more in-depth of Aries' one otherwise we'll be done with each of the casts' pasts. Kinda feels like Run with the Wind with the early stages focusing on each of the characters' backstories to set up for the end, if only this was a 2 cour show lol

EcchiGodMamster said:
Spaceship said:

Oh yeah I felt the same way, can't wait for the 1/10 review incoming starting with something like, "as a hermaphrodite person myself I can say this shit takes it too lightly..."
Aug 7, 2019 9:06 AM

Feb 2016
Honestly what is this anymore? I would rather have had a cliché "Killing me won't bring your brother back" But they had to go towards one of the most ridiculous twists I've seen on this anime, and the worst part of it, they take this twist and transformed it into comic relief right after like what the heck?

As for Charce, well he was way too fake of a character that I'm surprised his facade got him unnoticed for this long.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 7, 2019 9:10 AM

Apr 2019
Short_Circut said:

Next up is Charce's backstory, maybe we might get a more in-depth of Aries' one otherwise we'll be done with each of the casts' pasts. Kinda feels like Run with the Wind with the early stages focusing on each of the characters' backstories to set up for the end, if only this was a 2 cour show lol

EcchiGodMamster said:

Oh yeah I felt the same way, can't wait for the 1/10 review incoming starting with something like, "as a hermaphrodite person myself I can say this shit takes it too lightly..."

its never too early
its already time for them to marry and go on a cruise ship
XD
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
Nim0174 said:
Short_Circut said:

its never too early
XD

Good..good. btw I don't care about spoilers, but do any ships actually sail at the end of all this?
Aug 7, 2019 9:15 AM
Apr 2016
Short_Circut said:

Nah lol, well I hope not anyway. I'm not intersex (am trans), but I can totally relate to Luca, and I can say that he is a very endearing and likable example of how an LGBT character should be written, especially in a shounen series. It's not the most profound, most respectful writing ever, but I love his character. And I ship him with Ulgar too. They should totally get together.
Aug 7, 2019 9:33 AM

Apr 2019
Short_Circut said:
Nim0174 said:

its never too early
XD

Good..good. btw I don't care about spoilers, but do any ships actually sail at the end of all this?

Do Ships Sail? Find out here.
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 9:46 AM

Jul 2017
Tsukizono said:
Short_Circut said:

Nah lol, well I hope not anyway. I'm not intersex (am trans), but I can totally relate to Luca, and I can say that he is a very endearing and likable example of how an LGBT character should be written, especially in a shounen series. It's not the most profound, most respectful writing ever, but I love his character. And I ship him with Ulgar too. They should totally get together.

Yea I do hope stuff about gender doesn't get overly exaggerated/criticized, but you know MAL reviewers gotta find some way to hate on shows. Look at Yuri on Ice for instance lol

Nim0174 said:
Short_Circut said:

Do Ships Sail? Find out here.

Aug 7, 2019 9:47 AM

Nov 2016
Weak episode again, I was really disappointed how the subplot was resolved.

The focus is shifting to Charce now. I just hope that his story will have more significant impact.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 7, 2019 10:00 AM

Dec 2016
Ah Kanata no Astra, "inconsistency" is your middle name.

They clearly stated that guns have been banned for more than 100 years in their home planet, when Ulgar found the gun on board the ship. Now they claim that the only way they can get them is by either stealing/getting them from the police or getting a training gun elsewhere. In the end wich one is it? complete ban of guns or did their world just managed to get a proper gun control on it's population?

I could almost feel my hands bleeding by all the edge Ulgar was emanating from himself.

Come sit, and listen to my whole story, while I'm gunpointing at an obvious innocent that has nothing to do with my butthurt

Corny sob flashback √
Resentment and daddy issues √
Brocon syndrome √
Another sob resolution to finally trigger the inner edge on Sasuke /Ulgar
Cliche shonen shout at the end of the story √√

Ulgar's theory and resentment toward Esposito is just retarded as it is his character, and just for the record, this isn't particularly criticsm just pointing out how blindsided Ulgar is, by claiming that the events of his brother's death makes esposito the immediate culprit of it (even his theory that depresed people don't buy gifts to their beloved ones before commiting suicide, when Koe no Katachi is a good exaple of exactly that)

Now lets get back to the planet and the Tsunami. The wave looked quite tall, lets say 15 to 20 meters tall. But by the time it reaches the beach it's tame enough not to at the very least knock the lights out of Ulgar & Luca whom were hit (not to mention that a wave that tall, should have also hit the whole spaceship and dragged it along).

The last loophole in this episode, is how the heck did they get the gun back from the beach? everyone ran for their lives and boarded the ship when they saw the high wave reaching them. Ulgar still has the gun when he picks up Luca, but the gun magically disappears when both are trying to reach the landing platform of the ship.

KimurahAug 7, 2019 10:06 AM
Aug 7, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
I'm happy to see the opening again and love that they updated it with Yunhua's new look.

I wonder if the reason why Ulgar took so long to shoot Luca is because he is hesitating to take another human life. As far as I know he has never killed anyone and only recently started killing animals, and even then it was for food. It stuck me as he was talking to try and work up the nerve to shoot, reminding himself of his grudge to let his rage take over. Or at least trying to anyway.

I wasn't expecting the gun to glow like that. I don't remember it doing that in the last episode. Maybe that is just for the broadcast version.
Aug 7, 2019 10:09 AM

Mar 2017
This anime hasn't had a bad episode yet and this one was just brilliant! I like that Ulgar's past has been revealed and now he's opening up to the rest of the team.

Also I just love Luca even more now after this episode; such a pure and kind boy! Not many people would be so forgiving to someone who tried to kill them haha

I think that again Charce isn't the enemy but accusing him is gonna be how his past is revealed. However, i do actually find him suspicious because he's a bit too nice and he's always just kinda on the sidelines... watching...
Aug 7, 2019 10:23 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Luca was the most meh character for me so far, but this new angle has opened up my interest in him. That's one complex life he's led, and specially with that father of his.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 7, 2019 10:25 AM

May 2010
i wish i could agree with all those 9/10 reviews for this show but sofar is just mediocred as fuck to me.
Aug 7, 2019 10:25 AM

Jan 2012
EcchiGodMamster said:
Spaceship said:

lmao why do you care so much about people relating to a character to the point that you're getting bent out of shape over the SJW boogeyman? The character is also bisexual in the manga, it would be funny to see your reaction to that if they kept that in there.

Aug 7, 2019 10:29 AM

Mar 2018
Who in their right mind would return a gun to someone who just tried to kill one in the crew? That was disappointing but otherwise a good episode.
Aug 7, 2019 10:32 AM

Dec 2015
I'm convinced. Charce is the traitor. I think he had some evil kind of look at the end. And he acted overly friendly all the time. Also he hid that he wasn't in the class. There could have been a story he didn't want to tell others. But then he could just said something different/better. And with lots of people having revealed their past now there is no reason to hide stuff anymore - except if you are the traitor.

Also I think there aren't many others left that haven't had their backgrounds explored.
Aug 7, 2019 10:33 AM

Jan 2012
Charce and Aries were my two main suspects with Quitterie and Zack being close behind.
Turns out it may be Charce though or he may be some kind of body guard for Aries.

Love the new OP with Yunhua with her new hairstyle. I hope we get to see her on stage at the end of the series.

Also love how similar Luca and Ulgar situations are but how their personalities are complete opposites. Don't know if I ship them yet though.
Aug 7, 2019 10:35 AM

Apr 2019
tokidoki921 said:
Who in their right mind would return a gun to someone who just tried to kill one in the crew? That was disappointing but otherwise a good episode.

i would, his motive is clear and its unlikely that he is the killer, seems like a good choice to me.
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 10:41 AM
Aug 2019
Spaceship said:
The wave on the planet reminded me of the one in Interstellar.

The dramatic scenes were a little contrived, but nothing out of character for the show. 7/10 this week.
Me too. The wave and the planet's calm reminded me of this planet. Maybe the temporary lag it's important at the end, if it exists
Aug 7, 2019 10:56 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yup, it's Charce. Similar cliffhanger as Ulgar's suspection, and I honestly don't think they'll pull off another 'Oh, he's got some unusual circumstances'. Besides as he himself pointed it out, he's been far too kind and on the sidelines and most importantly we haven't seen his past. Something's definitely not right, at the very least imo.

Anyway, that aside, it was a pretty so-so episode (mixed feelings, basically). Ulgar's bit was kind of 'meh' considering how blind-sighted his whole goal and aim is. Questionable how that tsunami didn't blow Ulgar & Luca out of the equation and how he managed to retrieve the gun even but the bit on Kanata dwelling over the similarity was a really cool addition. I'm really curious to see how his deductions will go from here on. Meanwhile, seeing Luca empathise and then tease and pick on Ulgar was really nice. I was wondering why he'd such a feminine design and the narration from the female change room earlier lol but I certainly didn't expect him to be intersexual. Cool to see how he's accepted that already though, definitely got a better impression of him now. Aries trying to make Kanata jealous and him just in his own world was the most hilarious bit from the episode for me.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 7, 2019 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
Luthandorius said:
I'm convinced. Charce is the traitor. I think he had some evil kind of look at the end. And he acted overly friendly all the time. Also he hid that he wasn't in the class. There could have been a story he didn't want to tell others. But then he could just said something different/better. And with lots of people having revealed their past now there is no reason to hide stuff anymore - except if you are the traitor.

Also I think there aren't many others left that haven't had their backgrounds explored.

I'm thinking so too, but then again, I thought that about Luca after the end of last episode. Maybe it's Zack and the reason he told Kanata about the lines being cut was to make everyone trust him, and he revealed that there was a traitor in order to sow discord among the others. This continues to be my favorite anime of the season (even if this was the worst episode so far) and it has once again left me eager to see what the result of this cliffhanger will be.
Aug 7, 2019 11:02 AM

Dec 2016
What a revelation! o_o Like the tease Luca gives to Ulgar XD Hilarious!

Didn't like the look in Charse's eyes at the end... What is he up to? >.>

Great episode! Intense!!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 7, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2018

No more sparkly Charce.
Set SCE to AUX
Aug 7, 2019 11:20 AM

Apr 2019
lmao its gonna be hilarious from now on

PurpleGirl203 said:
What a revelation! o_o Like the tease Luca gives to Ulgar XD Hilarious!

man i love luca so much for that
i could watch that scene all day xD
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 11:33 AM

Dec 2016
Nim0174 said:
tokidoki921 said:

i would, his motive is clear and its unlikely that he is the killer, seems like a good choice to me.

Yeah, but we've already stablished that fanboys like you are not good judges of character.
Aug 7, 2019 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
Short_Circut said:
Nim0174 said:

its never too early
XD

To be blunt without saying more than needs to be said:

Good episode, next episode should be really good.
Aug 7, 2019 11:41 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012

Oh yeah I felt the same way, can't wait for the 1/10 review incoming starting with something like, "as a hermaphrodite person myself I can say this shit takes it too lightly..."[/quote]

right? this is what we have to deal with nowadays lol

penguindrum264 said:

lmao why do you care so much about people relating to a character to the point that you're getting bent out of shape over the SJW boogeyman? The character is also bisexual in the manga, it would be funny to see your reaction to that if they kept that in there.

if SJW's were nothing more than a boogeyman then i wouldn't be mentioning them
Aug 7, 2019 11:50 AM

Jan 2009
EcchiGodMamster said:

right? this is what we have to deal with nowadays lol

penguindrum264 said:

if SJW's were nothing more than a boogeyman then i wouldn't be mentioning them[/quote]

Don't get me started, it makes me have trouble playing a female character in western games these days because half the time i think it's something involving the empowerment movement.
Aug 7, 2019 11:55 AM

Jul 2017
Tatsuya said:
Short_Circut said:

even nicer. I heard about the latter, but is the former clear cut or is it more of an implied thing?
Aug 7, 2019 11:58 AM

Jan 2009
Short_Circut said:
Tatsuya said:

even nicer. I heard about the latter, but is the former clear cut or is it more of an implied thing?

Pretty sure clear cut, but it's been a while since i looked into it.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

202 by DebiPS »»
Apr 18, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

347 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 20, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.