Forum Settings
Forums

How many 10s have you given to series? And what separates a 10 and 9 to you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 6, 2019 1:39 AM

Oct 2018
uhh i've given about sixteen 10s according to malgraph. honestly, i rate my shows on enjoyment, characters, and plot. 10s dont exactly refer to perfect, flawlessness to me but i give out 10s or 9s depending on the impact the shows had on me.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Aug 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Jun 2019
johnbradshaw said:
WatchTillTandava said:

I've had Aria on my Plan to Watch list for a while, going back to last year before I even joined the site and just kept the titles in a Notepad file. Is it that immersive and beautiful a watching experience? I realize an idea central to this thread is how personal and subjective such a consideration is based on someone's very specific interests, views, or what they have going on in their life at any given moment, but still, you've made me excited. The only reason I've delayed it in favor of other series is because it's around 50 episodes with all the Aria series combined and I've been opting to try and burn through some of the shorter series first.

Aria is by far the most beautiful slice of life you can ever see. It's one of those shows that started the healing anime. And completed story in anime is very rare, those did it right barely exist but Aria is one of those animes. Watch it til the very end. You won't regret that experience. you can take my word for it.

Perfect - It's something I've had an inkling for a while that I would love when I finally got to it. It's good to hear more enthusiasm for the show. I love the Slice of Life genre. And have no fears, I'm a completionist! Once I start a quality show and get sucked in, I could watch 1000+ episodes; it's just the way I am. Looking forward to this experience.
Aug 6, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
I've only given a singe 10 to Code Geass, for it was an anime that I greatly enjoyed and I personally found the least faults in from all my favourites. HxH is another of my favourites, yet I personally felt the Chimera Ant arc to be far too dragged out (episodes of pure narration), and hence was unable to score it a subjectively faultless 10.
Aug 6, 2019 11:49 AM

Sep 2016
Many.

9 is when I really enjoy it

10 is when I really enjoy it and it's well made, or when I really enjoy it and it's underrated
Aug 6, 2019 11:57 AM

Nov 2018
I've given 14 10's
Spirited away, LotGH, Code Geass 1&2, FMAB, Steins;Gate, Pet girl of Sakurasou, Kizumonogatari 3, Haikyuu S3, made in abyss, Mob psycho 100 S2, AoT S3P2, jojo part 5 and Clannad After Story.
There are a couple of things that can separate a 9 to a 10:
If season 1 is like an 8 or 9 and Season 2, 3, etc. blows it out of the water (e.g. Mob Psycho S2), then I'll give it a 10.
If I feel empty inside after finishing or I've been emotionally moved and cried (CAS, PGS) then I'll give it a 10 (because I have autism, it's hard for me to understand/feel/exert emotions)
If an anime is able to present its story and execute everything right/perfectly, and it's able to fully draw my attention for the entire series (LotGH, Steins;Gate, Code Geass) then I'll give it a 10. I take into account how an anime executes its endings (CG) and how well character development and world building has been used (LotGH).

9s are what I give to great and enjoyable shows, and to shows that might deserve a 10, but doesn't quite make it - to shows that I wouldn't call a masterpiece

I also include whether or not it's the best in its genre (e.g. SG & LotGH are the greatest sci-fi series ever made, therefore they get a 10)
_cjessop19_Aug 6, 2019 12:01 PM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 6, 2019 12:06 PM

Nov 2018
Setsuei said:
I've only given out two 10s so far. Basically the only thing that separates a 9 from a 10 is how engaged I was with the story or characters.

Try Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but try and stay engaged until after the first season (ep25 & onwards) ends. (that's where the show picks up). It may seem boring at first but you'll be glued to the screen for the next few weeks of binge watching the show

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 6, 2019 12:16 PM
Jan 2019
For me,I currently have only a few 9/10 which I consider is the highest grade I can give (I don't believe in perfection,so a 9 means something almost perfect,actually something really special and close to my heart).

For example,I gave 9/10 to Gintama because its a good show,but I felt that genuine connection to it and the feeling that I can always come back to it. Same applies to the first anime movie I cried at etc.

In most cases I try to maintain a 50/50 objective/subjective way of thinking when scoring a series (except if its a guilty pleasure,than I can indulge myself a little).

So a 8/10 would be a series I could recommend to most people,but a 7/10 would definitely be an above average anime,with clear drawbacks which could've been avoided,but still enjoyable.
Aug 6, 2019 12:18 PM

Apr 2016
I've given 10 to a lot of series.
What separates a 9 & 10? Enjoyment, relatable characters, story, the impact the anime had on me until the end. But it's mostly enjoyment tbh.
Aug 6, 2019 12:20 PM

Apr 2019
Asaeed said:

What about shows that have no drama, like pure comedy shows?

Drama, or rather, Emotions, It can still be used as long as it fits the description, i.e , if it's made me happy and laugh a lot.
Don't mix Laughter with Enjoyment though. I laughed a lot in Saiki K but I didn't enjoy it

Aug 6, 2019 12:34 PM

Sep 2018
2 series (eva,3-gatsu 2),2 movies (end of Eva,2001: A Space Odyssey),2 manga(3-gatsu and Punpun) so far, from more than a thousend but i still keep myself away from some that maybe get a 10 (books are a diffrent thing tho). <- scores are always changeing tho

A 10 for me is not perfect but pretty close, it needs to be somewhat original and it NEEDS depth or some value that you can get out of aside form simple enjoyment that gets boring after the 3. rewatch (philosophical themes are also welcome). It also needs to stick with me for years and probably decades to come, they need to get me somewhat emotional, i need to feel the urge of rewatching those shows after some time and they need to use their medium to the maximum extend.

I dont rate my first impression of a show, i always reevaluate my score, my first impression is usally 2 or 1 score higher than my actual score, reason being that i get "blinded" by emotions/hype etc. and never notice all flaws on my initial view.

Most 9s lack depth,have minor flaws or lack emotional resonance, stuff like Breaking bad, Interstellar or Berserk are 9s. For me a 9 to 10 is far closer than 8 to 9.

I still dont get the people with 10% or more 10s, guess they have a diffrent view on shit and stuff.

I ask everyone that has many 10s is everything you gave a 10 on THE SAME level of quality?

-Mullerio-Aug 8, 2019 8:16 AM
Aug 6, 2019 2:42 PM

Aug 2017
I've given lots of 10s, probably my most given score. For me a 10 is an anime where I enjoyed all the episodes, and watching it in one sitting didn't felt like a chore. A 9 is given if a small amount of episodes felt annoying to watch, like an episode that felt pointless, too much fillers, stuff like that. Then there are dick moves like what Darling in the FranXX did, like Haruhi season 2 deja vu, like shounen final fights that just make the score go down. I've never rated lower than 7 because if an anime was that bad I'd just drop it before ending it.
Aug 6, 2019 4:26 PM

Mar 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
johnbradshaw said:

Aria is by far the most beautiful slice of life you can ever see. It's one of those shows that started the healing anime. And completed story in anime is very rare, those did it right barely exist but Aria is one of those animes. Watch it til the very end. You won't regret that experience. you can take my word for it.

Perfect - It's something I've had an inkling for a while that I would love when I finally got to it. It's good to hear more enthusiasm for the show. I love the Slice of Life genre. And have no fears, I'm a completionist! Once I start a quality show and get sucked in, I could watch 1000+ episodes; it's just the way I am. Looking forward to this experience.

Great to hear! I'm spreading the love for Aria everywhere I can. It's an experience I can not forget. I wanted to travel to Venice so much because of that anime. You should also consider watching Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou after even though it's just 3ep ova. It gives kinda the same feeling.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 7, 2019 6:11 AM

Feb 2016
The difference between a 9 and 10 to me is the characters. In order for me to give a show a 10 i must love the entire main cast. Shows that i give a 9 are shows which i really the loved the story line and enjoyed, however are lacking in the character department. An example would be AOT. The characters are so dull especially the main trio.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2019 1:28 PM

Nov 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
So how many achieve this elite status for you? Is it all on your favorites list and if not, what's keeping the other ones on it from 10-hood at a 9 or lower score? Are you promiscuous and play it loose with your 10s or safeguard them like a miser and his gold?

I used to be really generous with high scores in the beginning (being one of those people that only used the top half of the scale), but even then I still only gave out a few 10's. Even now that I have expanded to use the full scale I only have 3 series I have given that high score to (not counting movies or anything else). I think at first I was defining 10's by how quickly I watched a series; the faster I watched it the more I must have liked it. So anything I binged in one sitting deserved a 10. That worked for a while until I got to the point where I no longer had the free time to watch anime for hours at a time. Then I had to use a different metric, which became the usual 'quality of enjoyment'.

Here's the thing that separates a 10 from a 9 on my list: subjective versus objective quality. I've thought about it a bit and I've noticed that most of my 9's and 10's are very high up in the MAL ranks - high in score and membership. Things like Attack on Titan, GITS SAC, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist, My Hero, Anohana, etc. I tend to agree with the majority of people, and I enjoy things that are popular. The thing is with my 9's, I don't see anything wrong with them at all; to me these are flawless and perfect series that a lot of other people enjoy. My 9's have objectively high quality - having great mass appeal for the this reason. If someone asks me for recommendations I will be choosing from my 9's. As for my 10's, they are shows that have great personal appeal, but not always to the wider community. Unlike the things I give a 9, these shows aren't perfect - or rather, my 10's aren't the first thing I recommend to people. They are shows I absolutely love for personal reasons; subjective high quality. It's a weird distinction, I'll admit - like it's almost as if the things that get me to like a series the most is the same thing that decreases its quality for others, or that perfect shows aren't the most enjoyable to me.

I've actually been implementing a new rule/system for how high I can score things, so that the majority of scores are bunched towards the middle of the scale (4, 5, 6, 7), whereas those on the ends are far less frequent (1, 10). Out of all my current favorites, only 2 of them are 10's. The others range from 9's to even 6's. I think that's because even if I didn't enjoy them as much as the things I'm watching currently, my favorites tend to be things that I remember loving when I was younger, and so they are my favorite due to nostalgia.
Aug 7, 2019 2:27 PM

Jul 2015
A 10 is a show that sticks with me for a very long time, that makes me think back to it and remember it fondly.

A 9 is a show that's extremely good and entertaining but didn't produce the same reaction that a 10 did.

I have 7 10/10 ratings and 28 9/10 ratings.

"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 7, 2019 2:34 PM

Aug 2017
I've only given two 10/10 ratings so far, but I'll admit that my ratings are pretty flimsy and can even sometimes change years after I've seen a show. I'd say I give 10/10 ratings to shows that I genuinely have trouble coming up with valid criticisms for, while 9/10s are for shows that are excellent but I have a few things to nitpick.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Aug 7, 2019 4:58 PM

Jun 2019
ISOQuorra said:
WatchTillTandava said:
So how many achieve this elite status for you? Is it all on your favorites list and if not, what's keeping the other ones on it from 10-hood at a 9 or lower score? Are you promiscuous and play it loose with your 10s or safeguard them like a miser and his gold?

I used to be really generous with high scores in the beginning (being one of those people that only used the top half of the scale), but even then I still only gave out a few 10's. Even now that I have expanded to use the full scale I only have 3 series I have given that high score to (not counting movies or anything else). I think at first I was defining 10's by how quickly I watched a series; the faster I watched it the more I must have liked it. So anything I binged in one sitting deserved a 10. That worked for a while until I got to the point where I no longer had the free time to watch anime for hours at a time. Then I had to use a different metric, which became the usual 'quality of enjoyment'.

Here's the thing that separates a 10 from a 9 on my list: subjective versus objective quality. I've thought about it a bit and I've noticed that most of my 9's and 10's are very high up in the MAL ranks - high in score and membership. Things like Attack on Titan, GITS SAC, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist, My Hero, Anohana, etc. I tend to agree with the majority of people, and I enjoy things that are popular. The thing is with my 9's, I don't see anything wrong with them at all; to me these are flawless and perfect series that a lot of other people enjoy. My 9's have objectively high quality - having great mass appeal for the this reason. If someone asks me for recommendations I will be choosing from my 9's. As for my 10's, they are shows that have great personal appeal, but not always to the wider community. Unlike the things I give a 9, these shows aren't perfect - or rather, my 10's aren't the first thing I recommend to people. They are shows I absolutely love for personal reasons; subjective high quality. It's a weird distinction, I'll admit - like it's almost as if the things that get me to like a series the most is the same thing that decreases its quality for others, or that perfect shows aren't the most enjoyable to me.

I've actually been implementing a new rule/system for how high I can score things, so that the majority of scores are bunched towards the middle of the scale (4, 5, 6, 7), whereas those on the ends are far less frequent (1, 10). Out of all my current favorites, only 2 of them are 10's. The others range from 9's to even 6's. I think that's because even if I didn't enjoy them as much as the things I'm watching currently, my favorites tend to be things that I remember loving when I was younger, and so they are my favorite due to nostalgia.

A very accurate breakdown that seems to align as well with how I see the role of 10s. The 10s are series I personally love, but I don't exactly expect them to have wide appeal or be prime recommendation material. They can be, in that relative popularity wouldn't disqualify them or anything, but even for the series that are more popular than others, what I love about them might be highly specific and idiosyncratic.

Also, a 9 is a series whose premise/main plot/setting, characters, music, pacing and development are all stellar or very close to it, but just have a few minor points of contention which detract from them a little bit. They don't stop me from loving the show at all, but they stop me from considering it perfect to me. 10s are ones which have no issues to me which detract from the final score. The aspects which the majority of other people criticize are things which either don't bother me at all so I'm totally neutral/apathetic on, or even positives that enhance the series in my mind. An example is complaint about "fillers". If I love a show's characters and atmosphere, I could watch infinite "fillers" and not become the slightest bit restless or disinterested.

On subjective vs. objective quality, I'd take the position that it's all subjective as I often hear criticisms of art styles I favor whereas I hate things like incorporation of CGI which isn't a universal consensus opinion by any means. There are series though whose score, fluidity and clarity and colors in the animation, writing, etc., are obviously very high caliber, but the story isn't one which grabs a strangehold of my brain or spirit. And the ones that do often aren't considered by general fandom or professional reviewers to be the top in their categories for art direction or technical production.

Often, not always, but often, I feel as if the highest budget shows which would be created for the express purpose of delivering the most objective quality are tailored to appeal to the widest possible audience for obvious reasons, and this intended mainstream appeal can leave a series feeling too generic to me and not something designed for really going beneath the surface level of some themes and ideas, which is what really moves me.
Aug 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Nov 2018
I've given 3 10's before but I think that a 9 is a near perfect story while a 10 is a perfect story.
Aug 7, 2019 10:45 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
For me the difference between a 9 and a 10 is how it made me feel and how it impacted me. I wouldn't consider myself to be a "critic" by any means, but I still rarely hand out 10's, but both scores in my case mean the series/work, was flawless. Both scores mean that it's likely something that I would love to watch again. However a 10 to me would be something that had made me realize something about maybe myself or a situation. Or something that simply struck a chord with me, something I'll always remember or keep with me.

Aug 7, 2019 10:45 PM
May 2016
Only good series

[harem and ecchi series]
Aug 7, 2019 10:55 PM
Nov 2015
10 are series i have as my favorite, 9 are series that I love.
Aug 7, 2019 11:02 PM
Oct 2018
I’d say that 9’s are amazing anime, and 10’s are your easy picks for favorite anime of all time.
Aug 7, 2019 11:49 PM

Aug 2016
I have given out 6 10's and have completed 139 anime (OVA's & Specials included) I think my 10s are simple I enjoyed them to a different level than all other anime I've watched. Basically the difference between my 10s and 9s is as simple as I enjoyed them more lol didn't have to do anything special other than entertain me to a higher degree.

Though on my top 10 I have some 9's in there that are higher than some 10's I've given and that's simply because my top 10 takes into consideration the entirety of the series, not just a single season which is why even though I never gave any of the Fate series a 10, I think the series in it's entirety from what I've seen is just better than some of the 10s I've given.
Aug 8, 2019 12:02 AM

Mar 2018
Okay I don't mean to flex but I have 22 shows with 10 rating and my proper lowest is 6 with just 2 shows ( Deadman Wonderland and Darling in the franxx). So I think I'm just way to lenient when I rate shows and alot of them really touch my heart.
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Aug 8, 2019 12:15 AM

Dec 2012
WatchTillTandava said:

So not even everything in my top 10 has a 10. I've only given it to seven series at last count. To some who've seen 5x as much anime, this might seem tiny or still might seem too generous.
Sounds about similar to me. I have 40 total 10/10's out of 860 total entries. That's about 4.7%. Plus in this year so far, I've only given that score to two titles (Maquia + AoT S3P2).

As for how I determine masterpieces, I look at two factors: max enjoyment + personal impact. Some of my 9's could indeed be 10's if you just look at how much I enjoyed them. In order to become a masterpiece in my eyes, however, an anime needs to do much more than that. It has to stir & inspire me to either act, think or view my life in a profoundly new way. My top 10 favorites are effectively the culmination of the most life changing experiences I've had with anime as both a medium as well as an art.
Aug 8, 2019 12:18 AM

Jul 2019
So 17 out of my 650 anime have been rated a 10 by me (Would consider all of them 9.5s cause I still had a problem or flaw somewhere). As far as the difference is concerned, I didnt find any major flaw in my 10s, as compared to the 9s where I did find something that irked me. That, and I enjoyed my 10s more than the 9s, and they've stuck with me for a long time
Aug 8, 2019 1:21 AM

Jul 2016
Generally I end up rating 10s for series I get super biased toward, even if they arent super good by most peoples standards eyes hatamaou
9s are usually series thatve had impact for me, but theres something they lack or did that nocked them down one.
8s are did its job pretty good, 7s are it works.
I have 10 10s which is considering ive looked into and ranked ~110 series, a high percentage by this threads standards but I think they deserve it at least so ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Aug 8, 2019 2:38 AM
Jan 2019
Thanjh said:
Nutella71 said:
For me,I currently have only a few 9/10 which I consider is the highest grade I can give (I don't believe in perfection,so a 9 means something almost perfect,actually something really special and close to my heart).

For example,I gave 9/10 to Gintama because its a good show,but I felt that genuine connection to it and the feeling that I can always come back to it. Same applies to the first anime movie I cried at etc.

In most cases I try to maintain a 50/50 objective/subjective way of thinking when scoring a series (except if its a guilty pleasure,than I can indulge myself a little).

So a 8/10 would be a series I could recommend to most people,but a 7/10 would definitely be an above average anime,with clear drawbacks which could've been avoided,but still enjoyable.
What’s the point in people rating like this? I understand not believing in perfection but if you think 9/10 is the best you can get then your 9/10s now have the same value as a 10/10 if 10 is just unobtainable then 9/10 is the best that can be right?
Well yeah,but I set my scoring range from 9 (best that can be) to around 4 or 3 (I really don't think there are anime that bad to deserve lower than a 3 or 4) At least I haven't watched them yet.
Aug 8, 2019 2:54 AM

Nov 2010
I dont' give 10s often, right now I have given that for 14 animes. Anime needs to be something mindblowing to get that from me, something I won't forget and sth I would love to watch again and again.
Aug 8, 2019 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
I've only ever given three 10s.

One for the first season of Mo Dao Zu Shi (a Chinese anime 'Donghua') which in my opinion deserves a higher score that the MAL average, one for the second season which is currently airing, and one for Steins Gate.

I have given a fair share of 9's (BnHA S2, Sarazanmai, Promised Neverland etc. . .) but what seperates a 9 from a 10 is not plot, sound, art, production, or anything that's got to do with the show itself but (like a lot of people pointed out) the impact the show leaves on me. I won't only recommend it to anyone who is willing to listen, I will milk out the tiniest of details that I may have missed, I will listen to literature-ish reviews that run deeper than my own knowledge of literature.

A 9/10 anime would make me sit up and declare it an excellent watch but a 10/10 anime would have me mourning in secret to have never watched the show to begin with so that I could fall in love with the series all over again 'for the first time'. It would have me scrounging the Internet for other sources; the manga, a novel (like Mo Dao Zu Shi whose novel far exceeds my expectations), sequels, prequels. I would gladly drop other titles to immerse myself in the series that was and is a diamond among other gemstones.
Aug 8, 2019 4:38 AM

Sep 2014
I've given out of 8 10s. Supposedly 1571 completed anime at this point, but it's safe to cut at least a couple hundred from this as specials, OVAs, recap movies, pictures dramas and all that bullshit obviously aren't on equal level (or stuff like A-ko or Break Blade which is basically one thing in multiple entries). There's also quite a bit of hentai on my list which I don't rate at all. Hard to gauge how many things that were even in competition for high scores there were, maybe like 800, which would make my 10 a 1%.

ATM it's Kill la Kill, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The End of Evangelion, TTGL, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Code Geass R1 and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
To me 10 is just the best of the best. There's no specific standard or requirement, just being the best bunch I have ever seen, that I have the most respect for. It's not exactly perfection (Kill la Kill is the only one I consider perfect). A genuine heartfelt love for the shows. 9s are obviously something I also have a lot of respect for and consider absolutely amazing, but 10s include more personal attachment, it's stuff I instantly know I will come back to. I have rewatched all my 10s, some multiple times (KLK 8 times).
Aug 8, 2019 4:49 AM

Oct 2018
Funny, but the OP and ED are what makes the difference from 9 to 10 for me
Aug 8, 2019 4:58 AM
Mar 2019
For most parts it's when I feel that this topic or show has been presented in the best way possible it's a 9 or 10. The only difference then is that any minute flaws like this has been sugar coated too much or that depiction was not apt, makes the difference
Aug 8, 2019 5:02 AM

Sep 2013
I've given 5. I'm very picky with what I decide to give a 10, it would have to be something I found special or could really connect with. Same goes for shows I rate a 9 just to a slightly lesser degree.
Aug 8, 2019 5:17 AM

Jun 2019
Interesting discussion. Hmm, we all seem to score differently but the main basis of how you score seems to be pretty much the same as me, everything over 7 is good and it's all just a matter of degree, as to whether it gets a 7, 8, 9 or 10.

I checked my list & I've given 5 shows a 10 rating (Konosuba 1st season, Cowboy Bebop, Ancient Magus Bride, Howls Moving Castle & Code Geass S1). The difference between a 9 and 10 is very subjective, for me personally if a show feels like a masterpiece that moved me and had sentimental attachment, then it gets a 10. Something that made me think, characters that drew me in & got me emotionally involved, and storylines that took me places I didn't anticipate and exceeded my expectations.

Shows that got a 9 for me include Bakemonagatari, Made In Abyss, Nichijou, One Punch Man, A Place Further Than The Universe, Re: Zero..., shows that were fully immersive and had me drawn into their world, but that could've been better (there was something missing, or certain aspects that could've been done better imho). Shows that I gave a 10 were pretty much completely finished off pieces imo, and didn't need any finishing touches or changes to improve them. That's how I separate a 9 and 10 rating.
23feanorAug 8, 2019 5:30 AM
Aug 8, 2019 5:51 AM

Mar 2019
Actually, when I rate an anime I generally try logic at first, rating precisely animation, plot, characters, music... But after doing that I always change my mind at the end :)

So what makes a 10 for me ? Regarding how many I have given (8%), I would simply say it must have at least ONE element absolutely perfect (eg music in Sakamichi no Apollon, plot in Shoukoku no Altaïr, characters in Mo Dao Zu Shi), and the rest OK.

Aug 8, 2019 6:04 AM

Nov 2016
I have 14 10/10s out of 448 completed but I'm still undecided on a few if they are really 10s so may have to rewatch those.

As for what seperates them, a 10 has to at least bring up a ton of feelings out of me and also be great from beginning to end.
Aug 8, 2019 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
I do give away plenty of 9's when I think that the Anime was great and connected emotionally.

Whereas 10, I only have 12 so far and that's because some shows/movies had bigger impact on me and I always remember them more than the 9's.

For example, Grendizer is my first Anime that I've watched it and despite that MANY flaws and was made in the 70's, I gave it a 10 because it connected with throughout ALL THESE YEARS. Are there better Anime series than Grendizer? Yes! But it's how long it connected throughout for me. I still remember many of the episodes in a great way. Gunbuster is the same thing. (You are mad if you wouldn't give this OVA either a 9 or a 10). Also, impact on the industry. Grendizer was groundbreaking because it connected with people outside of Japan to know what's an Anime. That, also, plays a big part.
Aug 8, 2019 6:24 AM

Feb 2017
my reasoning when i rate an anime a 9: really good! wow!

my reasoning when i rate an anime a 10: really good!!!! wow!!!!!
Aug 8, 2019 6:32 AM
Mar 2019
My 1 10 rating is the berserk manga, which is ranked 1st. Im so basic.....*sigh*
Aug 8, 2019 8:12 AM

Sep 2017
I currently have 56 10s out of 249 entries

I'm not someone who rates shows harshly, and my enjoyment is often the main reason of these 10

In terms of quality (voice acting, OST, story, animation, backgrounds...), 9 and 10 are the same thing

So, an excellent anime will receive a 9 from me, but my enjoyment could make it jump to 10
(I'm also someone who's easy to please, that's why I have so much 10s)

In the contrary, a show can be excellent or nearly perfect but I didn't enjoy it that much, for some reasons, that's why I'd lower a little the score (that's what happened for me with Steins;Gate. This anime is a masterpiece, but damn, each episode depressed/stressed me a lot, so I gave it a 8).
Aug 8, 2019 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
I gave about 45 anime a 10 and about 120 a 9.
I like anime, thats my reason.
I dont force myself to watch bad stuff to the end.
I dont understand why people with a mean score below 7(GOOD) or even 6(FINE), still watch so much anime, when they clearly dont like the majority of what they are watching.
I give 10 to those who I thought are honestly masterpieces, at the time I was watching it (most of them when I just got into anime) and 9 those that were really really good but had annoyance's or stuff that didnt make sense.
8 is above average and 7, well, just good, but nothing special.
If I think an anime deserves a 5 or 6 I always ask myself why I finished it in the first place.
Aug 8, 2019 10:56 AM
Jan 2019
Thanjh said:
Nutella71 said:
Well yeah,but I set my scoring range from 9 (best that can be) to around 4 or 3 (I really don't think there are anime that bad to deserve lower than a 3 or 4) At least I haven't watched them yet.
Fair enough but why limit your range? 1 doesn’t have to be absolutely worst thing in history. You have 10 numbers to range with, your 1s can just be what you think are the worst of what you’ve seen.

It's maybe just my thing,but when I score an anime,I like to give it a higher score because I think people will often instantly jump to conclusions when they see a 1 or 2,thinking "oh this anime is pure crap" and only then read my review expecting something extremely negative being said about the anime. When I'd mostly say something along the lines "I didn't like this and that,it just wasn't for me but I'd recommend it to people who like etc."
Aug 8, 2019 1:05 PM

Feb 2018
I usually give 9s if I really like a show and a 10 if it moved me to tears or left me with a "WOW" feeling

Aug 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Nov 2018
The main thing that separates a 10 from a 9 is a personal emotional connection. The characters or themes have to impact me on a deeply personal level.
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Aug 8, 2019 5:47 PM

Oct 2008
Contradictory though it may be.

I try to find a 9/10 anime every year, sometimes I find one, sometimes I find three.
I hope to find a 10/10 anime, but those are what I consider perfect (so far 1 in 10 years).

An example would be how I watched three anime that resemble each other and one of them was superior to the other already exceptional two series. White album 2 (2013)- 9/10, Kuzu no Honkai (2017)- 9/10 and Domestic na Kanojo (2019) -10/10.

Now taking in to consideration their genres, number of episodes and what they focused on in their plot development, I determined that while very similar one of them stood out as subjectively superior.

I can not judge a 13 ep anime and a 26 ep anime in the same category. A drama and a comedy are also an ill mach, since I prefer drama.

So a 26 ep anime with a 9/10 rating might be equal to a 10/10 rated 13 ep anime if they have similar or identical genres.
Aug 9, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2015
I have given many 9 and only three 10 scores, and while sometimes the line between 9 and 10 is very thin, I think the ultimate difference for me lies on personal emotional impact.
A 10 doesn't mean flawless or better than those with a 9. It just means that it had a rare personal impact on me. 9 is the top score I usually give. 10 is reserved for those special animes that somehow seriously shake my world.

My three 10 went for Naruto and Naruto:Shippuden (Counting as one show) Monster and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (All adaptations this far). Naruto got it for very personal and specific reasons I won't get into. Monster... Well, I feel no other show deserves a 10 more than Monster. It just perfectly fulfills my idea of how a masterpiece should be. The same for Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu/ Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's just soooo ridiculously smart and brilliant that giving it something less than a 10 feels absurd.

So it's all about emotions for me.

SumirerireriAug 9, 2019 8:50 AM
Aug 9, 2019 10:02 AM

Jun 2019
Only 1. Quite a couple 9's.

What seperates a 9 and a 10 for me is personal emotion and investment. I have to really think it's one of the best things I've seen and have it touch me emotionally a lot. So all subjective things, basically.

Aug 9, 2019 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
Only 12 10's. And 45 9's (I know, it's a lot).

I don't really how I actually separate 9's and 10's. I guess I rate it on how noticeable the flaws are.
Aug 9, 2019 5:56 PM

Dec 2014
10 is a 10, and 9 is something that is missing... something and can't be a 10 as a result. I don't really have a system, is just my guts. Something like: ''This was great, but it's missing something.'' I can't say what exactly does an anime need to be a 10. For me is simply enjoyment.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 hours ago

24 by traed »»
12 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 3 hours ago

20 by cyandaqil »»
9 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 3 hours ago

21 by BilboBaggins365 »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

175 by NightVampire »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

82 by BilboBaggins365 »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.