Forum Settings
Forums

What is an anime series you dropped but you watched again after heard a good things from other people?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2019 8:25 AM

Jul 2019
I had trouble getting into Monster at first. Maybe it was because of the pacing? But after reading what people had to say about it I just had to watch it. I watched so many episodes in one go at the end!
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 6, 2019 8:25 AM
Dec 2017
I dropped Durarara and Sangatsu no lion. I ended up liking both and they became 2 of my favorites.
Aug 7, 2019 3:21 AM

Apr 2019
JoJo, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter
now all three of them are in my top 3
Aug 7, 2019 3:35 AM

Oct 2017
None because if I didn't like it, I wouldn't like it anymore the further on it goes or whatever people say about it.
The anime would really have to get on my nerves for me to drop it.
Aug 7, 2019 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
The first thing that comes to my mind is SnK.
It wasn't like "OMG this is bad, dropp it", it was more like "Meh, if I want to see depressed kids I watch Evangelion". I WAS SO WRONG. SOOOO WRONG... Now SnK both manga and anime are one of my top 10 favourites of all time.

Also all Naruto stuff.
Back in time I was a really Narutard hater. I dropped the manga a few a several times, I just couldn't with the anime. BUUUUUUUT. Not so long I've give it another try and I had to eat my own words. Enjoyed Naruto manga more than expect.

Yeah, don't be like I was.
Aug 7, 2019 7:46 AM

Oct 2015
i dropped sailor moon because i felt like it was repetitive and childish at times. but i picked it up again cause i have a friend who really loves it, but i still think it's just an average series.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Aug 7, 2019 9:05 AM

Dec 2012
HungryForQuality said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Holy shit, that was a close call. "Only" the best romance anime ever made...

I've been avoiding it since people say last third or fourth went to shit because the talent behind the show was stifled. Is that overblown or was it that bad?

You're better off reading the manga for Kare Kano instead, but it's not like the anime isn't entertaining it's just inconclusive as it loses the plot near the end and runs out of ink.
KruszerAug 7, 2019 9:08 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 7, 2019 9:15 AM
Nov 2018
For me it was Code Geass
I’m not big into mecha and the first 2 episodes felt kinda off to me and somewhat uninteresting
I picked it back up after my friend told me it gets better
And now it’s in my top 10 lol
Aug 7, 2019 9:25 AM

Oct 2017
Miss Koboyashi's Maid Dragon. I don't know why I dropped it, ig I was just bored of it.. A year later I went back and finished it.
Aug 7, 2019 9:35 AM

Jul 2015
Bakemonogatari.

I just couldn't stand the first arc, Hitagi Crab. A friend of mine told me to keep going and I did...I wasn't disappointed.
Aug 7, 2019 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
Gintama. It's not that I disliked it, per say, I actually enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was worth consuming 100s of episodes of it. Now that I gave the series another chance years later, I find it quite funny, but nothing hilarious. It's a series that I so far find more fun than funny.
I think what convinced me to give it another chance, was when people were telling me that the show switches genres; from comedy to tragedy, which is something I've never heard in anime before.

Overhaul_93 said:
Bakemonogatari.

I just couldn't stand the first arc, Hitagi Crab. A friend of mine told me to keep going and I did...I wasn't disappointed.

Interesting. Why didn't you like the 1st arc? I ask because I think that the 1st arc is very similar to the others in terms of giving you a good idea of what to expect, and having a similar tone.

Nutball13 said:
Miss Koboyashi's Maid Dragon. I don't know why I dropped it, ig I was just bored of it.. A year later I went back and finished it.

Maybe you weren't into slice of life at the time?

Nubiellee said:
I had trouble getting into Monster at first. Maybe it was because of the pacing? But after reading what people had to say about it I just had to watch it. I watched so many episodes in one go at the end!

Funny enough, I originally dropped Monster midway into the series. I think the beginning episodes have better pacing than the later ones. It's been years since I last watched Monster, so I can't say for sure.

ButadonMeitantei said:
Also, Konosuba. This was actually a harder drop than DxD was. I found the first episode cringey and not funny at all. The thing is, I watched it before I had even watched any other Isekai. After returning to it in curiousity a while later, I finally got it and it was hilarious.

Interesting, because I thought Konosuba has one of the greatest 1st episodes in anime, period.

Neorobot said:
I had dropped Violet Evergarden two times I really couldn't get into it, but the overwhelming praise for the show made me come back and finish it.

What did you think of the show after you finished it?

BourBon-7so said:
i dropped jojo 3 episodes in , picked it up again because my friend insisted i do so , couldn't go past episode 7 before dropping it again , it's just not my cup of tea.

Jojo Part 1 is vastly different from the rest of the series. Part 2 is when it becomes Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. But if you still aren't interested in the series, I won't push you.
removed-userAug 7, 2019 9:43 AM
Aug 7, 2019 10:18 AM
Bored

Apr 2018
@HopefulNihilist
I enjoyed the backstory episodes alot I think they were the best things to come out of the season for me, but overall I think the show is just average.
Aug 8, 2019 11:29 AM

Jul 2015
@HopefulNihilist

Yeaaaah, the reason why I dropped it the first time wasn't because of the concept of the show. I loved to see how Arararararagi-san helped these girls with their problems. I just couldn't stand Senjougahara. Her whole character annoyed me so much that I had to drop the show ^^'

In the later parts I somehow liked her (maybe because of the characters she interacted with, f.e. the snake or the con artist (spoiler free names ^^)).
Aug 8, 2019 12:12 PM

Oct 2017
Neorobot said:
solarzenith said:

i dropped VE too, I feel the same, I could Not stay interested. did you end up liking it once you stuck it out?? curious if it's worth it

I enjoyed the last few episodes alot more than the beginning half, but overall I think the show is just average (story wise).

Violet Evergarden only have like 4 good episodes in the middle.
Beginning is meh, ending is super rushed. (I bet I miss so much detail and worldbuilding because that last part conflict feel so half-baked)

It ended up being mediocre, but the highlight of the middle part (even though super predictable as well) and animation did get it a little bonus point.
Seriously I don't get the praise at all because literally only ep7~10 are good.

Do you know what's the worst aspect of Violet Evergarden? The side casts.
I can't even remember any of their names toward the end because each of them only have 1~2 episodes worth of screen time. This is a pretty bad indicator for a character drama show.
Ventus_SAug 8, 2019 12:16 PM
Aug 8, 2019 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
I dropped Madoka after 2 episodes because I thought it was boring and the character designs looked weird. Then my friend told that I have to watch the next fucking episode and now I have it rated 10/10 and it's one of my favorites.
Aug 8, 2019 12:23 PM

Oct 2017
vegeta8639 said:
I dropped Madoka after 2 episodes because I thought it was boring and the character designs looked weird. Then my friend told that I have to watch the next fucking episode and now I have it rated 10/10 and it's one of my favorites.

Did you know the 3 episode rule literally came from Madoka Magica XD?
You're the victim of not following 3 episode rule back then .
Aug 8, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2014
Puella Magica I dropped it after 3 episodes when it aired because it was just cute girls and I was bored of moe and got back to it many years later... it ended up as one of my favorites.
Aug 8, 2019 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
Ventus_S said:
vegeta8639 said:

Did you know the 3 episode rule literally came from Madoka Magica XD?
You're the victim of not following 3 episode rule back then .

I rarely drop shows but it felt like there was absolutely no reason to keep watching it. This was all the way back in 2012 btw so it's been a while.
Aug 8, 2019 12:55 PM
May 2017
Re:Creators, Hunter x Hunter, Gintama, Bleach, Violet Evergarden and KonoSuba are the most noteworthy for me.

funnily enough, when i rewatched them, i ended up loving all of them XD...
Aug 9, 2019 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
i havent actually but i plan to watch violet evergarden, one of the anime i dropped
Aug 9, 2019 10:39 PM

Jun 2019
fancyjasper said:
3-gatsu no Lion, Clannad, Hourou Musuko, Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver, No Game No Life, Re:Creators. I ended up dropping them all again, so now when i drop something it usually stays dropped forever.

Don't know why, but this cracked me the hell up. What turned you off of 3-gatsu no Lion? I see it so widely praised.
Aug 10, 2019 12:45 AM

Jul 2017
Fate/Zero mainly but also fate as a whole and konosuba.
Aug 10, 2019 12:49 AM

May 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
fancyjasper said:
3-gatsu no Lion, Clannad, Hourou Musuko, Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver, No Game No Life, Re:Creators. I ended up dropping them all again, so now when i drop something it usually stays dropped forever.

Don't know why, but this cracked me the hell up. What turned you off of 3-gatsu no Lion? I see it so widely praised.

Believe me, i wanted to like it T_T But i tried to watch it like 3 times and couldn't get past the second episode every time. I think the nail was in the coffin when even my mum didn't want to watch more of it. Same thing happened with Honey and Clover, this authors works just don't click with me. There's no deep reason, i just didn't feel invested in the story or characters at all, so i didn't feel like watching more.
Aug 14, 2019 5:15 AM

Sep 2018
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo.
I just didn't like the first episode, but my friends convinced me to complete it, and it's really good :P
totototowsSep 5, 2019 7:24 PM
Aug 14, 2019 5:26 AM

Oct 2018
Dropped Soul Eater 4 years ago, recently picked it up again and it's one of the greatest.
Aug 14, 2019 6:26 AM
Mar 2019
Sword Art Online
I didn't like it when i watched it first time.
Mar 14, 2020 10:59 AM

Oct 2017
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Nutball13 said:

Maybe you weren't into slice of life at the time?

Definitely not. I've always been a fan of Slice of Life. Maybe it's because I didn't think it was that cute, and I also related to Miss Kobayashi a lot less than I do now..
Mar 14, 2020 11:00 AM

Jun 2019
I dropped Cowboy Bebop and Honey and Clover, which I do intend to go back to eventually.

But so far, nothing. If I didn't care for something, I haven't gone back to it change my mind.

Mar 14, 2020 11:42 AM

Jul 2019
I dropped Gintama after episode 2 or 3 because of my exams and never really had any motivation to keep watching it. However, I saw so many people on MAL praising the series, so I decide to give it another shot. Now I'm rewatching farewell shinsengumi arc for the tenth time.
Mar 14, 2020 11:48 AM

Aug 2018
Gintama.
The first episode is godawful.Gintama is praised as the top comedy ever and is been rated above 8.5 for all it's seasons.I had high hopes for the show but the first few episodes fell flat.I dropped it after the first episode.Everyone on the Internet were singing praises of Gintama as the funniest thing ever.I made up my mind and watched the show.That's the best decision in my life as Gintama is mine top favorite anime.Gintama Banzai.
Mar 14, 2020 11:51 AM
Oct 2018
Mob psych cuz i found the main character boring and boy was i wrong its now in my top 5
Mar 14, 2020 12:11 PM

Nov 2019
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: found it vapid, non-creative and lacking impact. Returned after I saw people worshiping it. Didn't change my opinion much though, still the last episodes were fun due to Tohru's character development.

Now I generally check out for three things - uniqueness, execution and writing quality in the first three episodes of an anime. Then I'll either watch it or put it on hold, so that I might come back later if it gets really good (I think those who have read the source material will have a good judgement on whether a series has a good adaptation).
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Mar 14, 2020 12:25 PM

Aug 2018
I dropped Little Busters after the first episode because it looked like it was going to be a baseball themed show. Went back to it after reading high praise for the second season and now the series is definitely one of my favorites.

I dropped 12 Kingdoms after one or two eps because it looked like a stereotypical shoujo fantasy with hot guys vying for the attention of a plain girl. Turns out it's one of the best fantasy adventures I've ever seen and not stereotypical whatsoever.
Mar 14, 2020 12:29 PM

Jul 2019
I originally dropped Gabriel Dropout but then after countless Satania memes I gave it another shot and now I like it a lot. I also have kinda dropped Yuru Camp but I haven't started watching it again... yet.
Mar 14, 2020 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
I dropped the original HxH a lot of years ago because I wasn't really feeling it. Then I decided to try the remake after hearing good things. It was actually worse than the original.
Mar 18, 2020 9:44 AM

Aug 2018
Most recently, Hyouka. I watched a few episodes several months ago and dropped it because it was boring as hell. Picked it up again after seeing it in many favorites list.

Yep, still boring.
Mar 18, 2020 5:03 PM

Oct 2008
This is an anime I dropped, but will return to and try to finish.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear (I dropped it when s1 first came out. But in 2019 an Anituber I respect said his fanbase was recommending it so). I will get to it soon.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
10 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
15 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.