Forum Settings
Forums

FMA: Brotherhood is no longer the top anime on MAL !! :O

New
Aug 2, 2019 1:30 AM
Feb 2010
https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Basically since it came out, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has dominated the top rated spot on the Top Anime page but now it is 6th!! That's almost 10 years!! FMAB is a great anime but I think it's a testament to the quality of some of the series we are seeing these days (like SNK) :))
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 2, 2019 1:33 AM

Feb 2010
The top 10 are always just a testament to recency bias, not much more. Feel free to completely overvalue arbitrary 0.01 or 0.02 average score differences, but that's not gonna make them any less meaningless from a neutral perspective.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 2, 2019 1:38 AM
Mar 2018
i think its just the mal site playing up theres no way a show loses 0.14 in a day when it has over 700k votes
Aug 2, 2019 1:39 AM

Sep 2017
It's most likely a bug, you'd have to make more than 10000 accounts to make FMAB drop 0.14. Plus it doesn't have many 1s from what I've seen.
Aug 2, 2019 1:40 AM

Oct 2018
Connortit said:
i think its just the mal site playing up theres no way a show loses 0.14 in a day when it has over 700k votes
well i mean, there have been bot down voters lately (or so i've heard) but i can see your point about mal site acting up

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Aug 2, 2019 1:41 AM

Feb 2013
maybe a lot of old accounts with high ratings for FMAB got cleaned up today ?_?

Sep 2014
Couldn't care less about the scores but it's extremely hilarious that this happened so randomly.

Sep 2018
What the heck? What happened here? Did someone overslept, or something?
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Aug 2, 2019 1:44 AM
Mar 2018
Bowie said:
MAL is just like Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes. It's an amalgamation of a whole bunch of different people's opinions, forming a consensus as to the view of that community as a collective whole. It may serve as a guideline for whether a show is worth a watch, but it is by no means the only thing you should go by when determining what to watch next. So, if a show is in the top 10 or 20, it is not and should not matter at all to anyone.

Also, the last time I checked was 9.24, so it's either a bug or users like you, in the past two days have created so many alts in order to make possibile this. I'm assuming you were aot fans? As i thought.

nope i definitely have the same opinion as you i was just giving my thoughts on why i think the score dropped
btw i rated both fma and aot s3 part 2 10s i like fma more but i think there both master pieces
Aug 2, 2019 1:48 AM

May 2018
Most likely the admins have deleted at once some obvious fake or inactive accounts.
Aug 2, 2019 1:48 AM
Mar 2019
Horly sheeeeet! But honestly FMA:B though is technically an abosolute masterpiece is boring as hell, jesus christ I could not stomach more than 1 episode at a time maybe it's my inner 12 year talking
Aug 2, 2019 1:50 AM

Jan 2009
lol what a dropped that was but im not gonna be surprise if it comes back to the top again
Aug 2, 2019 1:52 AM

Oct 2013
I'm a FMA fan and I fail to see what the big deal is. Barely paid attention to the top anime list to begin with. Doesn't matter if it's first or 100th on the list,won't change my opinion of it or anything that takes it's place.
Aug 2, 2019 1:53 AM
May 2019
Looks like AoT is the new king followed by Stains;Gate and HxH I'm not complaining
Aug 2, 2019 1:53 AM

Mar 2015
It dropping down to #6 seems kinda suspicious tbh did someone bot it or what lol

Now the real question is when will the hardcore FMA fans come out and bot it back to #1
Aug 2, 2019 1:58 AM

Mar 2014
Woah I was expecting to see it #2 but it got way down, that's weird.

If this is a bug I'm just gonna enjoy seeing Snk at the top for a while before it gets fixed lol
Aug 2, 2019 2:05 AM

May 2018
Setsuei said:
I'm a FMA fan and I fail to see what the big deal is. Barely paid attention to the top anime list to begin with. Doesn't matter if it's first or 100th on the list,won't change my opinion of it or anything that takes it's place.

I think the point is that the SnK fans were burning with envy about that position...now finally they can be happy.
Aug 2, 2019 2:05 AM

Dec 2012
Sorry guys, I tried to perform a human transmutation and this is the price.
Aug 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Feb 2016
What's so good about this AoT season?
Aug 2, 2019 2:08 AM

Oct 2013
alshu said:
Setsuei said:

I think the point is that the SnK fans were burning with envy about that position...now finally they can be happy.

Good for them I guess. I like both series so even if I did pay attention to this I wouldn't be bothered either way.
Aug 2, 2019 2:09 AM
Oct 2018
How the fuck did that happen. Welp, steins;Gate is on no.2 so that's good.
--
Aug 2, 2019 2:10 AM

Nov 2011
Oh, how the mighty has fallen. MAL start banning bots now?

Aug 2, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2018
OneNaughtyBear said:

- It's recent!
- I think they reached the basement and after some duds learned the big and highly foreshadowed secret. (A bit like FMA:B but MORE RECENT!)
Aug 2, 2019 2:15 AM

May 2018
Setsuei said:

Good for them I guess. I like both series so even if I did pay attention to this I wouldn't be bothered either way.

It's actually highly entertaining to watch those people who care for silly stuff like that.
alshuAug 2, 2019 2:19 AM
Aug 2, 2019 2:20 AM

Jun 2019
Lmao those aot fans are going all out, apparently. Good to know we have people who can challenge the gintama tard, in that regard.
Aug 2, 2019 2:21 AM

Oct 2013
alshu said:
Setsuei said:

It's actually highly entertaining to watch those people who actually care for silly stuff like that.

Sure, it's great they care so much about there favorite series that this stuff gets them excited, in no way do I mean to look down on them. I just personally would rather focus on the stuff I'm watching more than what rank it has.
Aug 2, 2019 2:27 AM

Mar 2019
Pullman said:
The top 10 are always just a testament to recency bias, not much more. Feel free to completely overvalue arbitrary 0.01 or 0.02 average score differences, but that's not gonna make them any less meaningless from a neutral perspective.
It's popular rating.

This is a system where apparently Dragon Ball Z is rated higher than Serial Experiments Lain — it's hard to take it seriously.

It also wouldn't surprise me if average reviewer that rated Lain highly has a lower mean score than of F.M.A.B..

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 2, 2019 2:34 AM

Mar 2019
OneNaughtyBear said:

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 2, 2019 2:40 AM
May 2019
Sphinxter said:
Pullman said:
It's popular rating.

This is a system where apparently Dragon Ball Z is rated higher than Serial Experiments Lain — it's hard to take it seriously.

It also wouldn't surprise me if average reviewer that rated Lain highly has a lower mean score than of F.M.A.B..

To be fair Serial Experiments Lain would probably go over the head of an average viewer it's more of an niche anime for few intellectual inclined.
Aug 2, 2019 2:45 AM

May 2018
Sphinxter said:

Wow, this is most ingenious! Even better than those famous Code Geass plot twists.
alshuAug 2, 2019 3:00 AM
Aug 2, 2019 2:46 AM

Jun 2019
Xstasy said:
Sphinxter said:
It's popular rating.

To be fair Serial Experiments Lain would probably go over the head of an average viewer it's more of an niche anime for few intellectual inclined.
>It's a popular rating

Proceeds by saying Lain should have been rated higher than DBZ.
Aug 2, 2019 2:49 AM
May 2019
Ryougine said:
Xstasy said:

>It's a popular rating

Proceeds by saying Lain should have been rated higher than DBZ.

I haven't said that. That is what Sphinxter said. I'm not taking credit for his work.
You replied to a wrong person.
Aug 2, 2019 2:56 AM

Mar 2017
I don't know why most of you guys are making a big fuss about it. So what if SnK became first and FMA: Brotherhood dropped down to 6.? After all, SnK and FMA are at the top of the list, which shows that they're the best animes. Complaining about the freaking position is so childish. It's not like they're in the Top 9000.

If it's the bot or whatsoever's business and FMA ranks 1. again, as a person who loves SnK so much, I wouldn't give a damn, the two animes are perfect after all.
Aug 2, 2019 2:59 AM
Apr 2017
Unexpected. Then again, as said by others, I expect it to be just MAL being MAL so it'll be back at #1 when they realise what happened. Either way, it's popcorn time until that happens and possibly even afterwards.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 2, 2019 3:09 AM

Dec 2016
was about time. guess the bots are going.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 2, 2019 3:09 AM

Jul 2015
Maybe they removed long inactive and troll accounts.
Whenever something threatened the #1 position, fanboys were always swarming in.

Aug 2, 2019 3:28 AM

Jul 2019
Nothing remarkable happened, as far as I'm concerned.

Reach for the
Stars☆

Aug 2, 2019 3:31 AM

Aug 2018
I am so happy now!!!!!!
Not because my favorite SNK got the No.1( and I can't tell which one of my favorite should be on No.1) but for FMAB going at it's deserved position.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Aug 2, 2019 3:35 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
Yeah, that kind of drop is incredibly unnatural. It's likely just a temporary glitch, probably as the dev team was working through the code (similar to what happened with ecchi anime a while back).

I've enquired about it and will keep this thread posted.

As an extra note for the future since people are throwing out the bot point, the "upbotters" and "downbotters" tend to just cancel each other out completely or cause only a very slight deviation.
ShymanderAug 2, 2019 3:59 AM
Aug 2, 2019 3:52 AM

Jul 2017
JUMPSamurai said:
https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Basically since it came out, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has dominated the top rated spot on the Top Anime page but now it is 6th!! That's almost 10 years!! FMAB is a great anime but I think it's a testament to the quality of some of the series we are seeing these days (like SNK) :))
a testament of how much people enjoy the new animes*
very different.
Aug 2, 2019 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
melfluere said:
I don't know why most of you guys are making a big fuss about it. So what if SnK became first and FMA: Brotherhood dropped down to 6.? After all, SnK and FMA are at the top of the list, which shows that they're the best animes. Complaining about the freaking position is so childish. It's not like they're in the Top 9000.

If it's the bot or whatsoever's business and FMA ranks 1. again, as a person who loves SnK so much, I wouldn't give a damn, the two animes are perfect after all.

It's not that simple, sequels tend to get higher ratings than the prequel even if they're just as good as the prequel, as the sequels are mostly only watched by people who already liked the prequel. The ratings for sequels are therefore often skewed.
Aug 2, 2019 4:42 AM
Apr 2017
Sai-B said:
melfluere said:

It's not that simple, sequels tend to get higher ratings than the prequel even if they're just as good as the prequel, as the sequels are mostly only watched by people who already liked the prequel. The ratings for sequels are therefore often skewed.
The 30.000 gintama seasons in the top 50 prove this pretty clearly; what's your point exactly...? I don't really see the correlation between your answer and the post you answered to, to be honest
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 2, 2019 4:46 AM

Dec 2012
Sai-B said:
melfluere said:

On the flip side, FMA:B greatly benefits from the 1/5th rule. Very convenient as Brotherhood's weakest moments are in its first 12 episodes. It's almost like a rite of passage since it's around episode 14 that things really take off and FMA:B shows its true colors.
Aug 2, 2019 5:06 AM
Mar 2016
Maybe someone pointed this out, but the number of votes dropped from about 900 000 to 800 000, however the stats page haven't changed.
Aug 2, 2019 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
Meanwhile fmab fans busy making fake account to boost it up
Aug 2, 2019 5:59 AM

Jul 2014
Kurgo said:
Sai-B said:

The 30.000 gintama seasons in the top 50 prove this pretty clearly; what's your point exactly...? I don't really see the correlation between your answer and the post you answered to, to be honest

He wrote: "After all, SnK and FMA are at the top of the list, which shows that they're the best animes."
Aug 2, 2019 6:00 AM

Feb 2019
I bet it’s going to regain its previous position in less than a week.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Aug 2, 2019 6:01 AM
Dec 2013
FMAB is no longer #1 on MAL?

Aug 2, 2019 6:03 AM

Mar 2012
The salt when it is fixed by tomorrow would be priceless.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 2, 2019 6:04 AM

Dec 2018
I think this this most likely a bug/glitch, something similar to what happened with One Punch Man a few months ago, where it got its score a lot higher all of a sudden, boosting its ranking from #46 to #22, before going back to its usual ranking place once again. Even in that case, the score of all the other anime remained the same like it is here.

Losing 0.14 rating points within a day sound literally absurd for an anime with such a huge viewerbase and no. of votes.
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
7 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
24 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.