Forum Settings
Forums

what are some anime with clever/creative/thematically prominent titles?

New
Aug 1, 2019 10:04 PM

Jul 2017
i'm talking about anime titles here regardless of how unlikeable or bad the anime itself is

i do think an anime's title matters to the anime as a whole to some extent and a good one should be:
1 easy to remember
2 thematically relevant and symbolic
3 has a deeper meaning to it that can be realized after the watch

some bonus points are added if they are creatively worded

some of my favorites are:
kokkoku (moment by moment)
perfect blue
mousou dairinin (paranoia agent)
made in abyss
texhnolyze
ghost in the shell
MAYOIIIAug 1, 2019 10:07 PM
Aug 1, 2019 10:14 PM

Jan 2017
Ergo Proxy
Drifters
The Garden of Words
Aug 1, 2019 10:24 PM
Dec 2016
well, paranoia agent is indeed a great title for this thread as well as texhnolyze, both excelent shows and specially regarding their titles and how they interact with the story they are absolutely relevant and symbolic.
I think hataraku mao sama (devil is a part timer!) is a good one. somehow detroit metal city?
also: Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (assassination classroom)
Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (I cant belive my little sister is this cute)
shingeki no kyojin (attack on titan)
NHK ni Youkoso! (welcome to the nhk) this one is so excelent imo the conexion with the title and the theme
and last but not least serial experiments lain

Aug 1, 2019 10:32 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
Death Parade fits your description perfectly.
Aug 1, 2019 10:37 PM

May 2009
"Mai-HiME" is an impressive multi-dimensional pun.

1. The show is about HiMEs. There is an analogy drawn between the HiMEs and himes, or princesses.
2. Mai is the lead character of the show. And she is indeed a HiME.
3. The title can also be read as "My HiME" or "My Princess".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 1, 2019 10:47 PM

Jul 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
"Mai-HiME" is an impressive multi-dimensional pun.

1. The show is about HiMEs. There is an analogy drawn between the HiMEs and himes, or princesses.
2. Mai is the lead character of the show. And she is indeed a HiME.
3. The title can also be read as "My HiME" or "My Princess".

thats actually a good one based on what you said
i just added that show onto my list
i couldn't think of many pun-based anime titles actually
but the one i could remember the most is yuri kuma arashi
Aug 1, 2019 10:47 PM

Jan 2018
The Tatami Galaxy. I just thought it sounded cool until I actually realized what it meant in the final two episodes. That shit was unreal.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Aug 1, 2019 10:50 PM

Jul 2016
Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, Texhnolyze
Aug 1, 2019 10:55 PM

Oct 2018
Tekkon Kinkreet. Really clever, its a purposeful mispronunciation of the word "tekkin kinkurito"

Euphoria and bible black are pretty clever and neat *lenny face*

A lot of Shinchiro's works have pretty thematically pleasing titles like cowboy bebop and Samurai Champloo

youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Aug 1, 2019 11:01 PM

Jan 2018
Fate series

just some more character limit aah
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Aug 1, 2019 11:21 PM

May 2009
The next-episode previews in Cross Ange are accompanied by voiceovers from the characters commenting on each other in an out-of-universe way. The last preview in the series has someone asking why the show is called "Cross Ange".

Ange replies,

--

The Tower of Druaga is the name of an old video game, as well as an anime series based on that. The anime series features a huge tower, but the tower is actually not the same tower as the one in the game -- though the game's tower makes a cameo appearance in the show, wherein the characters basically play the game itself.

--

The title Angel Beats, particularly in combination with its logo design, could be considered a spoiler for a backstory detail that is revealed late in the series.

--

While not technically an example of the film noir genre, Noir has stylistic elements that draw from that genre. ("Noir" is also the name of an entity in-universe.)

--

Yuuki Yuuna is certainly a "hero" in Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero, in the sense of being a protagonist who saves the day with her superpowers, but she and the rest of the cast explore multiple angles of what it means to be a "hero".

--

Yosuga no Sora translates to "Sky of Connection", which draws attention to the importance of the interconnectedness of the characters, particularly what with two lead characters moving back to the small town in which they grew up, thereby reawakening social connections that had been left behind. The show is quite atmospheric and does have some skylight scenes, though the important other meaning of "Sora" is that it is the name of the little sister who moves back into town along with her brother.

--

Vividred Operation (a.k.a. Vivid Red Operation) is basically a technology-based magical girl show that has the characters using the "Vivid System" to gain their superpowers (which involves their donning "Palette Suits", in keeping with the color theme). The lead character, whose color is red, can "dock" with other characters, and their combined transformation is named Vivid [color] -- Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, and Vivid Yellow.

But then how do you get "Vivid Red", if the lead character is already red?

GlennMagusHarveyAug 2, 2019 1:44 AM
Aug 1, 2019 11:38 PM

Aug 2017
Violet Evergarden
Angels Egg
Made in Abyss
Darker than Black
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 1, 2019 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
A Place Further Than The Universe
The Promised Neverland
Made in Abyss
Tsuki ga Kirei
Bleach

Some context on Bleach (stolen from Tekking101)
Aug 2, 2019 12:07 AM

May 2018
Some interesting sounding titles (not necessary of good shows):

3x3 Eyes
Akame ga Kill! - glorious engrish double meaning
Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki - that Nostradamus reference
Appleseed - nothing to do with apples
Aquarion Evol - Evol is actually love in reverse
Azumanga Daioh - Great King?
B: The Beginning - whaaat?
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Basquash!
Bastard!!
Betterman - or is he?
Black Magic M-66 - M is for Mario and it's a non-stop action against killer cyborgs , no magic of any kind in the story
Blame! - actually an onomatopoeia
Buta - it's about a boar samurai and other anthropomorphic animals
Panda Kopanda - actually they sing "Panda Papanda Kopaaanda."
Kill La Kill - foreign language nonsense for a title. The japaneses adore those.
alshuAug 2, 2019 12:42 AM
Aug 2, 2019 12:15 AM

Feb 2014
Kino's Journey
Ping Pong The Animation
Haibane Renme
The Big O
Wolf's Rain
RahXephon
Aug 2, 2019 1:21 AM

Feb 2010
Tatami Galaxy has always struck me as a nice and poetic title for what the show was doing.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 2, 2019 2:32 AM

Apr 2018
Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power
Aug 2, 2019 2:39 AM

Jul 2016
Upotte! is just the Japanese word for "gun" backwards.
Aug 2, 2019 4:02 AM

Jun 2015
Aho-girl.

it is literal and perfect
Aug 2, 2019 6:25 AM

Jul 2017
ohml said:
Tekkon Kinkreet. Really clever, its a purposeful mispronunciation of the word "tekkin kinkurito"

Euphoria and bible black are pretty clever and neat *lenny face*

A lot of Shinchiro's works have pretty thematically pleasing titles like cowboy bebop and Samurai Champloo

oh yes I was going to say that as well
suggestively it implies the essence of the story, which is the power of imagination against the interconnected metropolitan cities built with iron
Aug 2, 2019 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin. "Attack on Titan" isn't eactly the right translation for it and the plot. Season 3 part 2 revealed what it means.
Aug 2, 2019 7:16 AM

Nov 2011
Berserk and Monster have a great one word in title.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 2, 2019 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Sundome
means stopping just before in english
bring you to the brink of releasing nectar of the gods
it's weird crying with a rock hard boner

nothing short of a masterpiece
PantsuSenseiUwUAug 2, 2019 9:51 AM
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Aug 2, 2019 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting thread topic OP. Props.
Definitely Monster: very simple, and thematically relevant to the story on what defines a monster.
Aho Girl: as much as I loathe this anime, I will give it credit for how the title pretty much summarizes what it's about, and what to expect: the most retarded and obnoxious anime of all time.
Baccano!: very original title, and sums up the chaotic nature of the anime.

Jim_Heart said:
Berserk and Monster have a great one word in title.

I agree with Monster, but I feel as though the title "Berserk" understates the depth and complexity of the series, since I never felt Berserk was primarily about Guts going berserk, rather, the idea of him going berserk is merely one small theme as part of a much bigger story.

FloodBasalt said:
Kino's Journey
Ping Pong The Animation
Haibane Renme
The Big O
Wolf's Rain
RahXephon

I agree that Kino's Journey states what the series is about, I feel as though it's too simple, because the series is so much more complex and layered than the title suggests.

@GlennMagusHarvey

I watched Angel Beats twice, yet I never quite understood what the title meant. Could you explain it to me please?

Ignoramus- said:
Violet Evergarden
Angels Egg
Made in Abyss
Darker than Black

Eh, I feel as though Violet Evergarden is just too simple a title; it's simply the name of the protagonist. The title doesn't give you any idea what the anime's about.
removed-userAug 2, 2019 10:09 AM
Aug 2, 2019 10:11 AM

Jul 2017
K. Singlehandedly the most creative title I've seen in my lifetime

But for real probably March comes in like a Lion, cause March/April is usually the beginning of the new (school) year, and the whole show is about how Rei develops a new sense in his life through others. Coming in like a lion emphasizes how this new lifestyle is unknown to Rei, and how his life is rapidly changing before his eyes

at least that's my take, I literally just made that observation just now lul
Aug 2, 2019 11:10 AM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

I watched Angel Beats twice, yet I never quite understood what the title meant. Could you explain it to me please?
It took me a while to realize this too, since at first I thought "beats" was related to music. But no.

I still think it's one of those titles that feels a bit like "why did they pick that thing to name the show after?", a la "Kiddy Grade" or "Eureka Seven", but at least it's interestingly meaningful in this regard.
Aug 2, 2019 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
HopefulNihilist said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

It took me a while to realize this too, since at first I thought "beats" was related to music. But no.

I still think it's one of those titles that feels a bit like "why did they pick that thing to name the show after?", a la "Kiddy Grade" or "Eureka Seven", but at least it's interestingly meaningful in this regard.

That makes sense, but that plot point isn't even relevant until right at the end, so I think Angel Beats is a weird title.
Aug 2, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
But for real probably March comes in like a Lion, cause March/April is usually the beginning of the new (school) year, and the whole show is about how Rei develops a new sense in his life through others. Coming in like a lion emphasizes how this new lifestyle is unknown to Rei, and how his life is rapidly changing before his eyes

Interesting. I interpreted it more literally. Since it comes from the proverb March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb, referring to the month of March beginning with the cold harshness of winter before settling into the lull of spring, I took it to signify grief and depression (the themes of the show) coming in harshly before settling in to the calm of life.

Other titles I like:

Tsuki ga Kirei. One character speaks about how love (suki) sounds like the moon (tsuki) and is as beautiful and elusive.

Steins;Gate. "What does it signify?"
"Absolutely nothing."
"Bingo."
Aug 2, 2019 11:56 AM
Jan 2015
Not an anime but a japanese game; Ai: The somnium files. Especially the different meanings of "Ai". As in artiticial intelligence, being pronounced as eye and ai meaning love in japanese. All of those things are main themes in the game. Sorry if it's off topic lol
Aug 2, 2019 11:59 AM

Jul 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

That makes sense, but that plot point isn't even relevant until right at the end, so I think Angel Beats is a weird title.

It doesn't matter because most people remember Angel Beats for its ending. The title totally makes sense.
Aug 2, 2019 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
HopefulNihilist said:

It doesn't matter because most people remember Angel Beats for its ending. The title totally makes sense.

That's one way to look at it (even though I think the ending is out of left field and terrible). But I agree with the OP in that an anime title should be relevant to the anime as a whole, and not just the ending.
Aug 2, 2019 12:11 PM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

It is.

Meanwhile, Eureka is a character's name and the "Seven" comes from the name "Seven Swell", which is the name of a phenomenon, rather than there being seven of anything. And Kiddy Grade is a reference to how the characters look young for special ops personnel, and how their abilities are "graded" as C-class, S-class, and G-class, for copper, silver, and gold.

So at least Angel Beats is better in this regard.
Aug 2, 2019 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

That's one way to look at it (even though I think the ending is out of left field and terrible). But I agree with the OP in that an anime title should be relevant to the anime as a whole, and not just the ending.

You could say that's how it should be but it's not that weird. It has a sense of mystery in it. You're left wondering what Angel Beats is supposed to mean until you get to the ending and understand the context of it.
Aug 2, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
The only one I could think of now is The Rising of the Shield Hero.
Aug 2, 2019 12:25 PM

Jul 2017
operationvalkyri said:
Short_Circut said:

Interesting. I interpreted it more literally. Since it comes from the proverb March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb, referring to the month of March beginning with the cold harshness of winter before settling into the lull of spring, I took it to signify grief and depression (the themes of the show) coming in harshly before settling in to the calm of life.

Oh that could be more of what it was going for, didn't actually know that was a part of a saying lel. Although with climate change that statement no longer makes sense since March is still freezing cold
Aug 2, 2019 12:28 PM

Jul 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:
The only one I could think of now is The Rising of the Shield Hero.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 2, 2019 12:30 PM

Oct 2015
Serial Experiments Lain is a neat one given the experimental nature of the series as well as

Promised Neverland is another good one. It emphasises the seeming unfeasibility of their idealistic goals as well as their resolve for achieving it. A juxtaposition, if you will.
Aug 2, 2019 12:33 PM

Dec 2017
yuru yuri, it basically means light hearted yuri and that's what this anime is all about.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 2, 2019 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
HopefulNihilist said:

You could say that's how it should be but it's not that weird. It has a sense of mystery in it. You're left wondering what Angel Beats is supposed to mean until you get to the ending and understand the context of it.

Huh. That is true. That's also another way of looking at it. Wondering what the title means until the end is kinda cool.
Aug 2, 2019 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
Steins;Gate has a deep meaning.

spoilers ahead

Aug 2, 2019 1:03 PM

Nov 2018
Kill la Kill

la - French feminine definite article
kill - You know what this means
kill could be valid word in Japanese katakana: キル
キル written in hiragana can produce the kanji 着る, which is the verb "to wear" (clothes).
The synonym "Dressed to kill" suggest the idea behind the first "Kill".

The title is related to the story in very obscure way, yet the way it is written is kind of catchy.

Considering that soundtrack includes songs in Japanese, English and (broken) German with French definite article in the title, it is nice to have such multi-language trickery.
Aug 2, 2019 11:16 PM

Oct 2018
I just remembered a manga on my PTR list lol its called: (Kono Sekai wa Mou Ore ga Sukutte Tomi to Kenryoku wo Te ni Iretashi, Onna Kishi ya Onna Maou to Shiro de Tanoshiku Kurashiteru kara, Ore Igai no Yuusha wa) Mou Isekai ni Konaide Kudasai.)

or in English : (I have already saved this world, took all the riches, and gained all the power, I'm living a fun life in a castle with a woman knight and a female Demon Lord, so, please, we don't need more heroes here!)

so deep man
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Aug 2, 2019 11:34 PM

Sep 2018
-Yuru Camp (Laid-back camp) - totally captures the theme of the show.
-Nichijou
-K-on from keion-bu(katsu)
-Shinsekai yori

And the long ass LN titles these days which are more like synopsis than titles.
Aug 3, 2019 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not so title orientated, and unless they are really dumb, I'm not picking anime because of their titles.

Tho, the titles which I found really well chosen are ...
Bokurano - It's one of the best titles, as soon as you start to understand what it's about.
Another favorite title of mine is The Promised Neverland.
Also From the new World, Death Parade, D.Gray-man, Wolf's Rain, Made in Abyss, Bloom Into You, Our Dreams at Dusk, Uta Kata (One Song / Poem fragment, it's really clever chosen for the plot)...

Haven't seen it yet, but I really like the title of .hack//Sign. Seems well chosen for the theme.
removed-userAug 3, 2019 12:03 AM
Aug 3, 2019 12:12 AM

Sep 2016
FLCL, pronounced in English as Fooly Cooly. It sounds very cool for me. Also Evangelion, Darker than Black sounds very cool.
Aug 6, 2019 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu . . .
Kenpuu Denki Berserk . . .
Koukaku Kidoutai . . .
Shin Seiki Evangelion . . .
Aku no Hana . . .
Aug 6, 2019 8:06 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) is a pun on kuro hitsuji, or ("Black Sheep" in English). I like to joke in my head that Toboso liked this pun so much she created an entire series based on it.

Yuri!!! on Ice because it's so ironic.

Bakemonogatari is a fun pun. (Literally translates to "Ghostory" or "Monsterstory", but that doesn't work as well in English).

91 Days is the amount of time that the series takes place over (for the most part).

Girls' Last Tour:

Ashita no Joe's title just starts to pull on the heartstrings after a bit.

Banana Fish is just fun to say.

"The Town Where Only I Am Missing" (Boku Dake ga Inai Michi") sends shivers down one's spine.

When we think stray, we think of dogs. "Dog" spelled backwards is "God." "Stray God," or, in Japanese, "Noragami," is a clever title.

The Great Passage often talks about words being the vessel that carries our emotions from one person to another, so speaking/writing become "The Great Passage."

Genocidal Organ: You'll know when you watch it.

I could go on, but I'm too lazy to go through my entire list.
OfDeathandLoveAug 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Aug 6, 2019 8:51 PM

Nov 2013
Clever: I like A Silent Voice. Sounds like some horror or supernatural movie, but putted into drama/romance movie about a bullied protagonist and a deaf heroines, it just smart title I think.

Creative: I’ll go with Gungrave. I don’t believe it has any depth meaning but it’s quite catchy titles of a series where the protagonist is coming back from the grave and his main weapons is Guns.

Thematically relevant: Terror in Resonance. It sounded like a show of cat and mouse between the police and the terrorist. But the anime is actually about the protagonist sending a message to his childhood friends through a numbers act of terrorist.

There’s also some titles like Akira, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Honey and Clover, and Your Lie in April that has deeper meaning
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 6, 2019 9:42 PM

May 2019
Death parade
Ergo proxy
Elfenlied
Guilty crown
Psychopass
Aug 7, 2019 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria (LN)
Your Name.
Mother's Rosario.
The Garden of Sinners.
Psycho Pass.
CLANNAD ('Family' in Irish).

More topics from this board

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

9 by IpreferEcchi »»
11 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 17 minutes ago

5 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

75 by Catalano »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

14 by Rairuchela »»
20 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

977 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.