Forum Settings
Forums
Jul 31, 5:56 AM

There are people out there using my wifi even though I never give out the password.
I'm tired of running to the store just to get the router's password changed.
I want to retaliate, now.

YouTubeSheetHost
Anime Edits
YouTube Thumbnails

"Hold your memories close to your heart." - Elise ~ Pocket Mirror

Jul 31, 6:00 AM
People can't connect to your Wi-Fi without the password, how easy are you making it? lmao

Anyway to answer your question...
Go to your router settings (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1), check the connected
clients and revoke access of the ones you don't recognize.

also you don't need to go to the store to edit stuff like your password

Jul 31, 6:31 AM

@GreenSoap I know. People still managed their way.

Thanks.
Can you be more specific? I've never done this before.

Guess the company my father signed for is bull.

YouTubeSheetHost
Anime Edits
YouTube Thumbnails

Jul 31, 6:58 AM

You can block their mac address somewhere in the router settings.

Jul 31, 7:13 AM

How do you know other people are using your wifi?
If you can access some kind of interface of your router you should be able to revoke the access for everything

Jul 31, 7:26 AM

HisokaxMeruem said:
If you can access some kind of interface of your router you should be able to revoke the access for everything

My internet speed is really slow at around 260kbps. That's how.
What interface?....

@QPR Mac? But I'm on Windows.
The internet service that I'm using is called "Yes".

YouTubeSheetHost
Anime Edits
YouTube Thumbnails

Jul 31, 7:27 AM

-Haoto- said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

What interface?....

@QPR Mac? But I'm on Windows.
The internet service that I'm using is called "Yes".

A "Mac Address" has nothing to do with Apple.

Mac means "media access control address."

Jul 31, 10:19 AM
Devil Trigger

Log into your router, which is something you'll have to figure out the specifics of since the odds of me having your router and ISP are slim, but the address should look something like an IP address. Though, it's probably on physically the router, same for the router's username and password and the default SSID and Wi-Fi password.

Once you log in, look for something to the effect of "wireless settings," disable "guest Wi-Fi" if that was somehow enabled, and change your SSIDs and passwords of your networks, like if you have a router that has both a 2.4 GHz radio and a 5 GHz radio.

And as for some more things that you can do, look for something to the effect of "connected devices" or "my network" and block and devices or computers that you don't recognize. And maybe disable "SSID Broadcast" so that people will actually have to know the SSID in addition to the password in order to use your network.

Hope that helps.

Jul 31, 10:29 AM

disabling SSId does nothing. it will not stop people trying to get in, and will only inconvenience you.
as for what to do:
make sure the router firmware is fully up to date (you could also configure to use an open source alternative, which is said to be more secure and up to date), and make sure your wifi password is strong and secured with a wpa2 AES encryption. ideally, it would be a long enough password that is easy to remember, but nearly impossible to be guessed by a computer.

wifi security myths

1) disable ssid

2) use mac filtering

these myths and more, taken from
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2052158/5-wi-fi-security-myths-you-must-abandon-now.html

Modified by DreamingBeats, Jul 31, 10:40 AM

Jul 31, 10:49 AM

-Haoto- said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

Slow internet speeds don't necessarily mean people are stealing your WiFi. You might want to check what kind of data plan your ISP is providing. Even if they advertise high speeds there might be a data cap that will slow you down once you have used a certain amount of data.

Jul 31, 9:25 PM

As other people have said.
First you need to enter your router settings, In most cases it will ask for a password to access (It's the same password as your Wi-Fi).

You can check devices or something like that to check all the things connected to your Wi-Fi and most likely there you will find a M.A.C, think of it as a ID.
If you see some1 that is connected that you don't recognize simply copy the MAC and finally search for something like: "Firewall", "Filter", "Access Control" or something like that.
Search carefully for an option of Blacklist or Block and there you paste the MAC of the device you want to block.

Since you are new to this don't worry its easy to do just read everything and you'll find it.
Modified by NothingFound, Jul 31, 9:28 PM

Oct 4, 8:01 AM

Why don't you just call tech support? That service is what you're paying for. They'll figure out the true season for your slow speeds.