Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2019 3:55 PM

Feb 2019
I almost exclusively watch in sub unless the dub is really good.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Jul 29, 2019 4:59 PM

Oct 2015
i always prefer sub over dub, i've seen a few good anime where the dub wasn't so terrible, but it's not enough for me to watch dub over sub.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Jul 29, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2017
It's always sub for me. The voices are usually better suited for the characters, and also cause anime almost never gets dubbed to my language (and if it does its... bad).
Jul 29, 2019 5:16 PM

Apr 2018
I usually do Dubs for shows around mid 2000s and later as throughout the years dubs have imo caught up in terms of quality and delivery with subs, but for shows from mid 2000s or earlier I might do sub instead as most dubs back then weren't so great.
Jul 29, 2019 5:20 PM

Jul 2019
Sub everywhere, in spanish or english.
Sig. by Charless, August 2019
Jul 29, 2019 5:25 PM

Dec 2008
Here we fucking go again!! As a native english speaker of course I prefer english dubbed anime. I get so goddamn tired of the argument that the japanese audio track is better than the english dub-how the fuck do you know if you don't speak japanese? You don't-and like a lot of people I don't want to read anime-I want to listen to it. All anybody wants to do in discussions like this one is bash the other side for liking dubs over subs and vice-versa. What a giant pile of fucking bullshit-watch what you want and keep your fucking opinions to yourself-nobody really gives a shit. I sure as hell don't.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jul 29, 2019 5:37 PM

Dec 2008
min-gau said:
Dub is cartoon, Sub is anime (ಡ艸ಡ)

japonese voices are good> it make you fell away from western real world, of sure I do watch anime to get away from it so different language helps in the immersion into a fantasy world

What the fuck is that statement supposed to mean? A good anime series is not dependent on the dubbed language, it can be effective in any language including the watcher's native one.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jul 29, 2019 6:29 PM

Dec 2012
Both, because I'm one of the enlightened who doesn't care.

Hell having multiple audio tracks to choose from on my Blu-rays and DVDs is an ADVANTAGE, it means I get to watch the same show in two or more different ways if I want, it's very handy to switch things up when rewatching.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 30, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2018
I watch my manga dubbed and read my anime in Japanese.
Get on my level, scrubs.
Jul 30, 2019 10:58 AM

Dec 2014
none both are trash

I watch anime on mute
Jul 30, 2019 12:43 PM

Oct 2017
Exelero64 said:
Normally I watch sub, but the one dub that I have watched, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, has some amazing English voice acting and is very enjoyable.

But most of the time I find dubs sound a bit weird or inauthentic. I feel like dubs for anime set in Japan are highly inauthentic, since it doesn't fit the Japanese characters to be speaking fluent English in Japan

Likewise if I were to watch a British or American-based anime.
Although it's mainly on how easy the source is to find, and yeah, how terrible the dub could be.
Jul 30, 2019 2:37 PM

Mar 2015
For the 50th time, sub.

Dub is ok, but frankly I'm just more used to watching anime with subs. I do think that Japanese voice actors are 10x better than American ones, and that their voices tend to suite characters better, but this is just an opinion.
woah there
Jul 30, 2019 4:03 PM

Jan 2014
Sub, theres only been a few dub I've enjoyed.
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Jul 30, 2019 4:38 PM

Apr 2014
both at the same time split screen style
Jul 30, 2019 5:12 PM
Sep 2016
There are some amazing dubs out there - I love the dub for 'The devil is a part timer'.

But there is so much anime; only the more popular shows get dubbed. So sub or dub is kinda pointless because chances are if you like anime you have no choice but to watch subs anyway. And there is something special about listening to the original voice cast.

But I know some people would only like to watch dubbed shows. If my girlfriend ever watches an anime she would prefer to listen to dubs. I can totally understand why the average person would - no need to be elitist about it. But within the anime community itself the question is always redundant. You should probably ask in a general movie forum or gaming site or something.
Jul 30, 2019 5:38 PM

May 2009
andersonBLUE said:
But there is so much anime; only the more popular shows get dubbed. So sub or dub is kinda pointless because chances are if you like anime you have no choice but to watch subs anyway.
Quite a few things have gotten dubs, including surprisingly obscure/unpopular stuff. However, it is certainly not done for everything, so even for me, a person who enjoys dubs, about half or more of what I've watched is only available subbed, not dubbed.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 30, 2019 7:16 PM

Nov 2017
Always dub. Dub for life. I'll read books, thanks.
Jul 30, 2019 7:29 PM

Aug 2018
If I'm being honest... I prefer dubs. They don't bother me. Even with that being said, I watch subs too. They are more available.
Jul 30, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2017
Sub, Dubber in my country ruins the feel
Jul 30, 2019 8:00 PM

Jul 2016
The only time I ever read is when I am reading a manga or a book. Sorry, but I choose dub, especially if it's a good one like Cowboy Bebop. Some subbed Anime were really good though, like HxH, Ashita no Joe or Saiki K.

Jul 30, 2019 9:50 PM
Sep 2016
Oh gosh if you wanna hear hilarious dubs watch Devilman (the original, not crybaby) dubbed.
But I end up usually watching dubs because either I don't 100% pay attention to looking at the bottom of the screen for subs or I just would rather hear English at the time. If I feel extra weeby at one point I'll turn on subs though
Jul 30, 2019 9:55 PM
Jun 2016
I prefer sub, but i share my downloads with others and vice versa, so I have some dubs, which I do watch. When watching while playing games (2 monitors) then I watch dub exclusively.
Jul 30, 2019 11:34 PM

Mar 2019
For me I watch exclusively in subs now because I'm trying to learn Japanese and the more exposure I can get to the language the better. I can honestly say that watching anime subbed has made my understanding of the Japanese language progress much more rapidly than it would've otherwise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2019 12:09 AM
May 2019
DUBS FOREVER. if there is no Dub I'm not watching end of. I've only watched three anime in sub and that's because I HAD to if I wanted to see it but never again. I especially don't get native English speakers saying they prefer listening to another language while reading/watching the show. and then there's the BS about being able to understand emotions more when it's in sub 😒. I'll accept all the hate I'll get happily but I won't watch another anime in Sub ever again, even now I really want to see code Geass movie but I won't until Till the dub is out.
KarmaKaosJul 31, 2019 12:14 AM
Jul 31, 2019 12:59 AM

Aug 2018
Subbed means original and professionals watch in subbed!Are you a pro?

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 31, 2019 1:18 AM

Aug 2013
Always original voices regardless of the country origin.
FrankyP said:
RandomPerson4 said:
Pfft the sub vs dub debate is for plebs.
There's only one way to watch anime and thats RAW.

The only response in this thread that I respect.

It doesn't change too much to be honest. It's still about original voices vs fake try hard.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 31, 2019 5:34 AM

Sep 2017
I prefer to watch anime with subs. I don't have the patience to wait for anime dubs to catch up. I find english voices in anime to be cringy, it's hard to watch for me. The only exception to this is Dragon ball where i prefer the dubbed version, but since i have no patience to wait for the dubbed version to catch up, i watch it with subs.
Jul 31, 2019 7:38 AM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
I typically stick to the sub unless I have something like homework to do so I can't watch the screen the whole time.

Unless it's a terrible dub. Then I'll save that anime for when I'm free and pick another one
Jul 31, 2019 9:53 AM

Dec 2018
Jul 31, 2019 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Subbed all the way for me, the ONLY way, never ever EVER dubbed ^_^
Jul 31, 2019 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
intellectuals know that raw is the best way to go
Jul 31, 2019 10:27 AM

May 2009
Kimmy83 said:
Subbed all the way for me, the ONLY way, never ever EVER dubbed ^_^
Hello there, you sent me a friend request and I wanted to ask how we know each other or what the occasion is for it, but I can't message you or comment on your profile...
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 31, 2019 1:54 PM

Jul 2019
It depends. It's just all subjective. I personally like subs more but i do like some dubs at times too so i'm not against dubs.
Jul 31, 2019 3:17 PM

Jul 2019
I don't get it at all, I'm from spain and when i tried to discuss this with people i know, It was the same result and conclusion that i got, It's a bunch of rubbish and nonsense.

It could be that it's a ''WEST THING'' that doesn't transcend well to other cultures. But to explain and present my views at why is that, it's pretty simple.

ANIMATION are NOT like Actual life motion pictures where the ''voice'' is recorded alongside the footage, thus, It's its original voice act. unlike animations where it's just paper with draws in it that are moving so fast to create the illusion of a movement. with a Voice act tabbed into it later on. in conclusion, None of any Animation voice act is original and just a ''dub''. Using the def of dub for actual life motion pictures is absurd and stupid. as it treats animation in the same foot as actual life motion pictures.

If you get where i'm getting at, Then yeah, The japanese Ver. of the audio track is in fact, a dub. same as no Japanese Versions. What differeniate between them, however, is whether the work it's about aka the setting is japanese or not, that what truly favors the japanese dub over others, If it's not japanese, Then it only proves to work against it.

that in a nutshell.

note: Some creators might have an intended ''voice'' in mind for their characters, but that is just an authorial preference that was not ''intended'' to be a part of the work because of the nature of how animations works.

So yeah, I watch it in japanese if the setting is japanese and not japanese if the setting is not japanese. that is the most consistent way of viewing for at least.

note: granted they are Good.
LelouchwakamiJul 31, 2019 3:23 PM
Jul 31, 2019 3:40 PM

Dec 2007
Lelouchwakami said:
I don't get it at all, I'm from spain and when i tried to discuss this with people i know, It was the same result and conclusion that i got, It's a bunch of rubbish and nonsense.

It could be that it's a ''WEST THING'' that doesn't transcend well to other cultures. But to explain and present my views at why is that, it's pretty simple.

ANIMATION are NOT like Actual life motion pictures where the ''voice'' is recorded alongside the footage, thus, It's its original voice act. unlike animations where it's just paper with draws in it that are moving so fast to create the illusion of a movement. with a Voice act tabbed into it later on. in conclusion, None of any Animation voice act is original and just a ''dub''. Using the def of dub for actual life motion pictures is absurd and stupid. as it treats animation in the same foot as actual life motion pictures.

If you get where i'm getting at, Then yeah, The japanese Ver. of the audio track is in fact, a dub. same as no Japanese Versions. What differeniate between them, however, is whether the work it's about aka the setting is japanese or not, that what truly favors the japanese dub over others, If it's not japanese, Then it only proves to work against it.

that in a nutshell.

note: Some creators might have an intended ''voice'' in mind for their characters, but that is just an authorial preference that was not ''intended'' to be a part of the work because of the nature of how animations works.

So yeah, I watch it in japanese if the setting is japanese and not japanese if the setting is not japanese. that is the most consistent way of viewing for at least.

What are you claiming to is half-true.
The truth is, yes even in the japanes dub the voice recording is "after the animation" but the animation is considering the voice coming later, for example, if the character saying "ohaio guzaimasu" (good morning) that's how the lips of the character will say and that's a different, either than that, I know for a fact that sometimes they dubbing while the lips aren't moving and only after that they build the moving lips. however in the foreign language they take the original animation after the lips for japanese are set and build their script to make it work so the foreign language will work out for the moving lips and not making any changes in the animation, that's why the japanese dub is called "original voices" because the anime studio is considering their animation upon the sayu they choose, and not upon the foreign dub studios.
Jul 31, 2019 3:44 PM

Jun 2019
Lelouchwakami said:

The difference is that to some people, including myself, that "preference" is everything. This is not a trivial matter, but extremely important and central to all of it. I don't consider it to be a minor sidenote. I want to hear the original voices envisioned by the creators of the show and/or mangaka or both working in concert with each other to produce the original version of the work. The dub is a re-interpretation of the original at most. Too much of the script is changed so it comes off feeling like an imitation. And it doesn't matter whether someone speaks the language or not or that no translation is 1:1. There is a difference between translating something as accurately as possible and making up whole new lines in its place that Westernize/localize it and change the entire feel.
Jul 31, 2019 3:57 PM

Apr 2017
I prefer to watch anime with subtitles. Maybe, I'm used to it and very fond of Japanese voices. Although dubbed version could be good too. If you think it's weird to watch subbed anime when your two eyes get to watch between the screen and the subtitles, it's not hard because you comprehend to it like reading a book. The only difference is, the book sometimes has stationary illustrations and meanwhile, the subbed anime has moving animations. Dubbed anime may improve your understanding and comprehension with English or any other languages. Meanwhile, subbed anime will help you to add more vocabulary to your own dictionary. The two are very crucial, but it depends on the watcher what kind of thing he or she would prefer.
Jul 31, 2019 4:01 PM

Nov 2018
After I started watching "El Cazador de la Bruja" dubbed, I was surprisingly boring. Then I tried the subbed version and... it was interesting?! Although the story has its weak moments, the Japanese version was better.

Lelouchwakami said:

ANIMATION are NOT like Actual life motion pictures where the ''voice'' is recorded alongside the footage, thus, It's its original voice act.

While this is true, the voice recordings (of anime with greater art quality) of Japanese voice actors are taped and frames are adjusted accordingly to syllables. If this is done with collaboration with translation, a slightly different mouth animation could be created for English version. However, if the translation is done after the fact, the translator must edit the mouth animation.

On the top of that, Japanese is super compact. For example, the よ and ね particles ending the sentence could require 3-5 more words in the English variant. As a result, some anime (like "El Cazador de la Bruja") tend to change the sentence structure of fill in with silence, which kills the mood. In contrast, the subtitles can freely redefine the sentence length and add remarks freely. In fact, Japanese create timing issues, which could make potentially long English sentence to stay for too little time on screen. While I had this problem for a while now, with subbed anime, it could be easily overcome with pausing (which is one keypress work). It appears that most of the time Japanese intonation fits pretty well with the background music.

Aside from that, I noticed that companies like Funimation are a little bit different from the other dubbed anime. Funimation dubbing preserves the rhythm and mood of the anime at the cost of significantly change the text completely. In "Detective Conan" they even change names. I have no idea what effect -san, -kun, -chan, first name and last name differences make, but changing it to more relatable names with proper addressing (Mr., Ms. or Mrs. for last name, no titles for first name) already have a great effect on perceiving the proper context.

So in short, when the quality of the dubbing is at professional level it is worth it (although it is a major change of the content). When the dubbing is more literal, it has negative impact on the anime quality.
Jul 31, 2019 4:08 PM
Jul 31, 2019 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
illuminatibg said:
After I started watching "El Cazador de la Bruja" dubbed, I was surprisingly boring. Then I tried the subbed version and... it was interesting?! Although the story has its weak moments, the Japanese version was better.

Lelouchwakami said:

ANIMATION are NOT like Actual life motion pictures where the ''voice'' is recorded alongside the footage, thus, It's its original voice act.

While this is true, the voice recordings (of anime with greater art quality) of Japanese voice actors are taped and frames are adjusted accordingly to syllables. If this is done with collaboration with translation, a slightly different mouth animation could be created for English version. However, if the translation is done after the fact, the translator must edit the mouth animation.

On the top of that, Japanese is super compact. For example, the よ and ね particles ending the sentence could require 3-5 more words in the English variant. As a result, some anime (like "El Cazador de la Bruja") tend to change the sentence structure of fill in with silence, which kills the mood. In contrast, the subtitles can freely redefine the sentence length and add remarks freely. In fact, Japanese create timing issues, which could make potentially long English sentence to stay for too little time on screen. While I had this problem for a while now, with subbed anime, it could be easily overcome with pausing (which is one keypress work). It appears that most of the time Japanese intonation fits pretty well with the background music.

Aside from that, I noticed that companies like Funimation are a little bit different from the other dubbed anime. Funimation dubbing preserves the rhythm and mood of the anime at the cost of significantly change the text completely. In "Detective Conan" they even change names. I have no idea what effect -san, -kun, -chan, first name and last name differences make, but changing it to more relatable names with proper addressing (Mr., Ms. or Mrs. for last name, no titles for first name) already have a great effect on perceiving the proper context.

So in short, when the quality of the dubbing is at professional level it is worth it (although it is a major change of the content). When the dubbing is more literal, it has negative impact on the anime quality.
You just rewrite my comment but expanded...

JerryKen10 said:
I prefer to watch anime with subtitles. Maybe, I'm used to it and very fond of Japanese voices. Although dubbed version could be good too. If you think it's weird to watch subbed anime when your two eyes get to watch between the screen and the subtitles, it's not hard because you comprehend to it like reading a book. The only difference is, the book sometimes has stationary illustrations and meanwhile, the subbed anime has moving animations. Dubbed anime may improve your understanding and comprehension with English or any other languages. Meanwhile, subbed anime will help you to add more vocabulary to your own dictionary. The two are very crucial, but it depends on the watcher what kind of thing he or she would prefer.

The only adventage you mentioned in the subbed version is the fact yo can learn english but mentioned a big disadvantage in the subbed they it may confuse and not watching the animation, so I didn't get right if the subbed version to your opinion is good or not.
Jul 31, 2019 4:31 PM

Jul 2014
I'm in the minority I can watch both but I prefer dubs a lot of the time Ill wait for the dub to come out instead of watch the sub. For me the sub is the last resort, Im not a big fan of the Japanese language and how it sounds.

Also I just like sitting back and watching subs add an extra element of read which I dont like while Im watching something. If I want to read Ill read a novel.
Jul 31, 2019 5:29 PM

Jul 2019
It very much depends,a friend in Brazil says he loves the dub version of Dragon Ball more than the original voice
no description boi
Jul 31, 2019 5:35 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
Lelouchwakami said:

that in a nutshell.

The truth is, yes even in the japanes dub the voice recording is "after the animation" but the animation is considering the voice coming later, for example, if the character saying "ohaio guzaimasu" (good morning) that's how the lips of the character will say and that's a different, either than that, I know for a fact that sometimes they dubbing while the lips aren't moving and only after that they build the moving lips. however in the foreign language they take the original animation after the lips for japanese are set and build their script to make it work so the foreign language will work out for the moving lips and not making any changes in the animation, that's why the japanese dub is called "original voices" because the anime studio is considering their animation upon the sayu they choose, and not upon the foreign dub studios.

Well, how does translating the japanese script to fit the flip flaps justify the reasoning that the japanese dub is
original voices
. and well,
the animation is considering the voice coming later
that's obiously how storyboarding and animating it works, Unless it's a silent work, The SB would have script in it and when animated, they would animate the flip flaps to match the script.

by
dubbing while the lips aren't moving
, I take it as referencing ''line photography''?.

in a nutshell. This is what happens if the studio is having a bad schedule or animators' shortage, sometimes, this may reach the point of meeting the deadline, causing unfinished animation to air, making it look like a ''drama-picture'' in vocal scenes.

and obviously again, (Unless other languages were intended as well) The foreign dub would have to translate the script to be as faithful as posssible while fitting the lip flaps; The amount of translation Altered to fit the lip flaps will varies from one language to another.

The ''animation'' aka ''lip flaps'' entirely relies in the ''storyboard'', Not who's voice acting them. The voice actors don't interfere with the script *AT ALL* when it comes to adaptations.

If this were true, then this atrocious scene wouldn't have had happened.

welp. I wonder what was the director thinking, either a ''line photography effect'' or bad directing. either way, as you can see, the sayu has no say in it.

note: by that, I mean that the ''home release'' was the same.
LelouchwakamiJul 31, 2019 5:58 PM
Jul 31, 2019 5:55 PM

Jul 2019
illuminatibg said:

Lelouchwakami said:

While that's true for English, it's not for other Languages, What might take 3 to 5 words In english would take the same if not less than japanese in the others.

When i wrote that the way people are using dub when it comes to cartoon is, in fact, inaccurate, because of them not taking in mind other languages.

I do agree that professional dubs are worth it no matter what the language.
Jul 31, 2019 6:03 PM

Dec 2007
Lelouchwakami said:
User-Name said:

Well, how does translating the japanese script to fit the flip flaps justify the reasoning that the japanese dub is
original voices
. and well,
the animation is considering the voice coming later
that's obiously how storyboarding and animating it works, Unless it's a silent work, The SB would have script in it and when animated, they would animate the flip flaps to match the script.

by
dubbing while the lips aren't moving

in a nutshell. This is what happens if the studio is having a bad schedule or animators' shortage, sometimes, this may reach the point of meeting the deadline, causing unfinished animation to air, making it look like a ''drama-picture'' in vocal scenes.

and obviously again, (Unless other languages were intended as well) The foreign dub would have to translate the script to be as faithful as posssible while fitting the lip flaps; The amount of translation Altered to fit the lip flaps will varies from one language to another.

The ''animation'' aka ''lip flaps'' entirely relies in the ''storyboard'', Not who's voice acting them. The voice actors don't interfere with the script *AT ALL* when it comes to adaptations.

welp. I wonder what was the director thinking, either a ''ine photography effect'' or bad directing. either way, as you can see, the sayu has no say in it.

You atre misreading me, I didn't say the sayu have effect of the sudio work but quite the opposite - the studio is considering their work based the sayu.
On the othe hand you almosy admitted it but still call the japanese cast voice "dub", let me correct you in explained description, you said
The foreign dub would have to translate the script to be as faithful as posssible while fitting the lip flaps

which is true, if for my example the character needs to say "ohaiu gozaimasu" which is good morning, japanese language build on syllable, while in english it's four-five syllables in japanese it's a couple of syllables, while the studio produce a flip-flap to the japanese in the english dub they will change it from good morning to "hey how are you", and it's common to change that way much, it's maybe a small example but when you turning full episode like this even though it is truthful to the translation, sub is way more reliable translating only "good morning" , because on the surface the studio didn't made the anime for the english dub but for the japanese cast voice, and that's why I'm calling it original voices, because it's the voices that's originally the studio wanted to.
Hope it' all clear now.
Jul 31, 2019 6:07 PM
May 2019
i usually watch subbed first and then check out the dub. if its good ill rewatch the show in dub. the disastrous life of saiki k is an example of a great dub and ill stick by it for that show. shame only season 1 is dubbed though.
cells at work seems to have a prerry solid dub - but ive only heard the dubbed op for it (which gives them major bonus points - dubbed ops need to make a comeback.)
Jul 31, 2019 6:22 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
Lelouchwakami said:

. and well,

by

welp. I wonder what was the director thinking, either a ''ine photography effect'' or bad directing. either way, as you can see, the sayu has no say in it.

You atre misreading me, I didn't say the sayu have effect of the sudio work but quite the opposite - the studio is considering their work based the sayu.
On the othe hand you almosy admitted it but still call the japanese cast voice "dub", let me correct you in explained description, you said
The foreign dub would have to translate the script to be as faithful as posssible while fitting the lip flaps

which is true, if for my example the character needs to say "ohaiu gozaimasu" which is good morning, japanese language build on syllable, while in english it's four syllables in japanese it's a couple of syllables, while the studio produce a flip-flap to the japanese in the english dub they will change it from good morning to "hey how are you", and it's common to change that way much, it's maybe a small example but when you turning full episode like this even though it is truthful to the translation, sub is way more reliable translating only "good morning" , because on the surface the studio didn't made the anime for the english dub but for the japanese cast voice, and that's why I'm calling it original voices, because it's the voices that's originally the studio wanted to.
Hope it' all clear now.

So ''the studio considers their voice cast when animating the flip flaps'', right? if so, then it makes sense. but it's an odd info since the storyboard already does that as well.

however, you did ignore one important detail

This will varies from one language to another, in Arabic. they would say: ''صباح الخير'' (good morning) which fits the flip flaps of ''ohaiu gozaimasu''. and so would many other languages, and vice versa for english and french.

This is why i said, the current mainstream use of the word ''dub'' when it comes to cartoons is universally unpractical. and the natives or not so but so-alikes don't take other languages in mind.

Jul 31, 2019 6:29 PM

Aug 2009
It depends on the genre. I'll go with English for basically any show that isn't ecchi, cute girls doing cute things, and hentai where the intent is to jerk off.

Aug 1, 2019 12:02 AM

Nov 2018
Lelouchwakami said:

While that's true for English, it's not for other Languages, What might take 3 to 5 words In english would take the same if not less than japanese in the others.

That's true. However, once I started watching subbed (which I have already done with a lot of movies in English to improve it - yes, English language with English subtitles), I can watch the action almost unobstructed while reading, with the exception with those short-timed lines.

Additionally, since at that time I studied linguistics and biopsychology (part of AI program), I observed some statements that learning a language after certain age is super difficult (apparently not entirely true). Since I had problems with Dutch after I moved away from my home country - it basically sounded as one continuous noise, not as words, I observed similar effect with Japanese. As an experiment, I tried to listen to Japanese without learning it to observe if it would improve by itself. The result was better than expected, not only I can tell separate words, I can cross-reference them with subtitles, so I was able to remember some of the most used words and the most simple sentences (like "good morning"). Apparently listening to a language you do not understand and reading it in a language you understand is a great way to familiarize yourself with a new language (although without the grammar, Japanese sentences are difficult to comprehend).

So, watching subbed is great way to learn while entertain yourself, at the cost of losing a little immersiveness.
Aug 1, 2019 12:08 AM

Dec 2007
Lelouchwakami said:
User-Name said:

which is true, if for my example the character needs to say "ohaiu gozaimasu" which is good morning, japanese language build on syllable, while in english it's four syllables in japanese it's a couple of syllables, while the studio produce a flip-flap to the japanese in the english dub they will change it from good morning to "hey how are you", and it's common to change that way much, it's maybe a small example but when you turning full episode like this even though it is truthful to the translation, sub is way more reliable translating only "good morning" , because on the surface the studio didn't made the anime for the english dub but for the japanese cast voice, and that's why I'm calling it original voices, because it's the voices that's originally the studio wanted to.
Hope it' all clear now.

So ''the studio considers their voice cast when animating the flip flaps'', right? if so, then it makes sense. but it's an odd info since the storyboard already does that as well.

however, you did ignore one important detail

This will varies from one language to another, in Arabic. they would say: ''صباح الخير'' (good morning) which fits the flip flaps of ''ohaiu gozaimasu''. and so would many other languages, and vice versa for english and french.

This is why i said, the current mainstream use of the word ''dub'' when it comes to cartoons is universally unpractical. and the natives or not so but so-alikes don't take other languages in mind.

XDDDD
I didn't expect you to comment like that but I don't understand arabic so sorry.
But I will be true with you because I think the basic term of dub is really what you mean, while in the common people dub will be called any other language voicing foreign tv shows, and although you may right in saying that the anime characters aren't living things and "it's not their real voices", I think that since the studio went all the trouble to make their must-perfect-seyu for their characters for them it's "the real voice of the character" since whet studio for the animation auditioning also for the seyu makes the seyu an inseparable thing to the original anime and music, so it truly has a crucial part in making the anime, never the less I would say that although it's true that the characters aren't really a living thing the original seyu is the most part that best fulfills the vision of the studio and not the foreign dub, but then again it's not that the foreign dub won't be bad or may be even good, but although you may call the japanese cast voice "dub" it will be originaly called the best version of the dub since it's a japanese anime, and so it will be called "to original dub" if you want to insist.
It's may not be that good example but translated manga called a translated since it's not it originally written in other languages besides japanese, while you can't say that the "original language in the manga world is japanese" but the original work is truly in japanes.
User-NameAug 1, 2019 12:14 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 51 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

45 by Pokitaru »»
10 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

23 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

39 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.