Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 28, 2019 7:08 PM

Jan 2010
This is something i thought about the character of Kaworu, which is my favorite of the series.

What about if Kaworu is Shinji from the future trying to prevent him from doing something catastrophic?

The reason could be Shinji living an infinite amount of loop and going into despair, creating the alter ego of Kaworu. (The loops would be created by the events of third impact.)

This idea came up because of two little hints and the fact that i already have seen it before. (Bernkastel).

Hint 1. "The promised time has come, Ikari Shinji Kun. This time I'll make at least you happy".

Hint 2. In the poster of the first and the second movie, we can tell the difference being the characters that appear in the second movie. But kaworu appears in both. But we know Kaworu doesn't appear in the first rebuild, so why he's in the poster? Maybe he appeared because he's Shinji?

I would find this plot twist extremely AWESOME.

What do you think about it?
Aug 4, 2019 2:17 AM

Oct 2010
Kaworu appears at the end of 1.11 when he's on the moon and exists the coffin
I think he's just Adam, you can argue him being Shinji implying that the eva curse made him look younger but in no way does Kaworu resembles Shinji.
Regarding your 1st hint, maybe Kaworu is experiencing a lot of timelines and when he was referring "you" that meant the Shinji from that timeline (our movies)
I think the alter-ego theory doesn't work quite well with the show's themes, Shinji has to save himself, he has to get to know and love himself and others.
As a conclusion, I don't agree with your theory.
Aug 7, 2019 10:28 AM

Jan 2010
It's a very random theory to begin with. But i think it would make sense within the world of Eva, considering the loops. Not something thought in the original series of course, but just for the movies.

It make sense based on how much Kaworu, from nothing, come to be very attached to shinji, knowing everything about his pain. How much he wants to help him and only him, regardless of what happens to everyone else. There was also e sentence somewhere (I think in 3.0 during the impact scene), where kaworu tells shinji what has to come wouldnt be what shinji wanted, and therefore he was going to stop it.

Graphically speaking it would be very easy to make shinji look like kaworu with some explanation. (Eva curse, many time loops, adam soul.)

This is something I just would like personally, but i agree on the fact that is far fetched. Still, we will see!
RanDartAug 7, 2019 10:42 AM
Aug 13, 2021 2:23 PM

Jan 2010
I would like to bring up this old topic of mine.

Who is Kaworu in the end? In one line he says he's Shinji. And then Shinji says that he's similar to his father.

Kaworu is Shinji? (Was I Somehow Right?)
Kaworu is Gendo?
Oct 16, 2021 4:04 PM
May 2016
No, Kaworu is not Gendo. When Shinji said that Kaworu is „like“ his father he is comparing how both Kaworu and his father have that one person they would do anything for- Gendo has Yui, Kaworu has Shinji. He didn’t say „You are my father“ he said „You’re like my father“. Big difference, since all he’s doing is comparing them.

Many people misunderstood this and started saying how Kaworu is Gendo’s clone which isn’t likely. We know how clones work- Rei is a perfect clone of Yui, by the appearance and her shy calm personality. Kaworu and Gendo on the other side- they couldn’t be more different, especially their looks. We saw in the movie how young Gendo looked like. So Kaworus DNA donor is still unknown, although there are theories about that too.

About the „I am you, you are me“ part the only thing I can think about that is how Kaworu is supposed to represent Shinji’s ideal self. So perhaps in that context he’s saying „I am you“. Or maybe he's talking about their shared burden and feelings- Kaworu is always seen smiling, nobody would ever think that he's sad. But the way he was being controlled by SEELE just how Shinji was controlled by his father, plus the constant agonizing loops he had to do with all of them resulting in his death- it's enough to make a person be depressed.
Oct 24, 2021 11:19 PM
Jul 2020
Kaworu and Shinji share thematic links, but they're not the same person. In EoE, it could be said that Shinji becomes "the new Adam" and "like a god" because he is able to hear everyone's thoughts and create a new world.

Kaworu has "the soul of Adam," while Genndo has "the body of Adam," and I just established that Shinji has "the body and soul of a new Adam." So in this way, you're right, Kaworu is like an older version of Shinji, but indirectly, not a time traveler or clone or something like that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

S0UVIK - Aug 12, 2021

327 by soasss »»
Apr 19, 10:55 PM

Poll: » time loop or multiverse?

deg - Mar 19

11 by Bkm1995 »»
Mar 20, 9:16 PM

» Shinji's Jersey from EVA STORE

hohofish - Apr 15, 2021

1 by 1016jersey »»
Mar 15, 12:03 PM

» Shin Evangelion Movie: II???? Why change the title now?

Cestlavie_ - Nov 25, 2023

10 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 6, 8:40 AM

» Employee recruitment for the production of 3.0+1.0.

zacky1312 - May 23, 2018

2 by simeji8043 »»
Jan 22, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.