Jul 2018
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #195 - @MAYOII ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

MAYOISM

"THERE'S NOT ENOUGH MAYONNAISE!"
- Hijikata Toushirou

Interview conducted by: @complice
Reviewed by: @Skittles

Could you tell us more about yourself?

Before I begin my introduction, I would like to apologize for the many grammatical errors I am about to make since English isn't my first language. So hopefully, you can understand what I am trying to say. I haven't done an interview in English before, so I have no clue what I should say. I'll try to make it concise...

Skittles: That's what proofreaders are for :^)

...and of course, mayonnaise is the greatest invention humanity has ever come up with.

Greetings! My name is MAYOII and I'm a 22-year-old international student from Taiwan who currently studies animation in the US. Since I was a kid, I've always been enthralled by the very realm of fiction and fantasy. I aspire to become a creator of any sort, may it be an animator, published author, or a video game designer. Creativity and imagination are two inseparable aspects of my life, and they will always continue to shape my career as I age and grow.

I was raised in a rather normal household since my parents (my dad is a Taiwanese Aboriginal, my mom is half-Chinese/half-Japanese) usually get along well and we kids (me and my young sister) are loved by them. I grew up in Shanghai, China and later on my family moved to Taiwan since my dad received an extraordinary job offer from a company there. I lived a rowdy, but genuinely happy life doing all the things a dumb and naive Taiwanese teenager would do: catching grasshoppers, collecting and showing off Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, playing basketball or soccer in the open field, gossiping about relationships between boys and girls, sharing pirated games, music, and movies amongst ourselves in class, and many more. After I graduated from high school, I decided to go abroad to pursue my dream. Now here I am in the land of freedom!

How did you choose your username?

Hmm, this is a good question. I've had several different usernames before (mayoiyui, mayoinnaisu, mayoism, iamviolet, thick*****sauce) and most of them do seem to have a particular correlation to a certain... something that I regard as the ultimately impeccable condiment.

Could you give us your brief history of your time on MAL?

I initially had no idea of MAL's very existence on the internet until some of the weeb friends I made here in the US introduced me to this anime listing site. I had no intention to interact with others whatsoever when I first registered my account here, but soon got attracted to the forums. That's when I came to the realization that there are so many other fellow weebs anime fans across the world and I am certainly not alone. Since then, I've been actively talking to others on their profile comments, engaging in discussions in the forums, and shitposting in Forum Games. I can still remember some of the first friends I made here on MAL, including @Skittles, @Nanosii, and @riho88riho. Not entirely sure how others perceive me as a user, but I do think I'm often seen as overly talkative and creepy at times. Hopefully the former applies to me more.

Any hobbies outside of anime/manga and MAL?

I do consider myself a person of many hobbies and interests, including jogging, ultimate frisbee, origami, movies (indie/cult/arthouse films in particular and I do watch criterion films), indie music, video games, Twitch, and science fiction novels.

I would like to particularly talk about ultimate frisbee and movies in regard to their impacts on my life. I was first introduced to ultimate frisbee when I was 15, on the day I joined my school's newly founded ultimate frisbee club. A game that is driven by teamwork, tactics, and physical prowess, ultimate frisbee is a non-contact sport with seven players on each side competing against each other on a football-sized pitch. It's a fast-paced and fun game to play with both strangers and friends. I got hooked instantly and found myself enjoying it way more than the many other sports I've played, such as basketball, volleyball, and table tennis. It's truly a golden experience for me, and I adore every second I spent on the battlefield along with my allies and enemies.

Watching movies is essentially my favorite hobby. Movies are phenomenal enough to change my worldview and better me as an individual as they snatch me away from reality and introduce me to otherly lives. They allow me to glimpse into many other perspectives through imagery, acting, and storytelling. Aside from their recreational and cultural values, movies are sheer worlds that people have created out of nothing, taking form in the collectiveness of art. Sometimes, they help you temporarily escape from trouble and depression. They also help you realize how things should be and remind you of things that are important to you personally in a way that plain text cannot. On a personal note, I do consider myself a lowkey 'westaboo' as I am a huge fan of Clint Eastwood movies.

Any users you dislike/like and why?

I generally am fond of all of the users I've interacted with here. Although some may appear to be hostile on occasions, I do know they mean no offense to me personally.

There isn’t even a single user that I dislike for personal reasons, but I tend to find people with obnoxious or passive-aggressive attitudes annoying. I have zero tolerance for people who talk behind their friends' back and wouldn't hesitate to betray their friends when convenience allows. Fortunately, such people are no longer on my friends list.

Now it's shoutout time!

All the peeps I get along with eventually end up becoming my friends. I would 'categorize' them based on the following panels in alphabetical order:

Series Discussion

@-asphyxia- - I met her through a friend of a friend. She is one of the few Jojo fans that I talk to on a regular basis and she is always willing to talk to me with an open mind.

@Alcoa - One of the first anime/manga discussion buddies I had on MAL. Generally a cool and collective guy who's both a good listener and speaker.

@Arkab - He's always there to throw in new things into our convos. Talking to this guy is fun to the core.

@bravados - Another intellectual that I'm delighted to be friends with. She knows how things work, King Crimson included.

@Ellert0 - Another conversationalist that I like to talk with regardless of my mood. He's infecting everyone with his love for Sakaki and cats.

@Konpurekkusu - She's utterly laidback and I could discuss anime with her all day.

@Kyrii - They're a precious cinnamon roll. Our encounter was rather odd, but momentous. They're not only a great conversationalist to discuss movies with, but also a caring companion who's always there to support their friends. It’s a pity they have poor taste in condiments :(

@Malware - Met this tentacle lad not long ago, but we've talked before. His helpfulness is beyond my comprehension.

@Muzacci - A bro whom I should talk to more often. Our friendship is rather complicated to describe, but at times, we do have a fair share of concord with each other.

@papsoshea - Currently favorite reviewer on MAL not only because of his detailed and coherent writing style, but also his chill and reciprocative personality.

@PlatinumZero - A bro I met recently who valorously stands on the top of the pyramid of masculinity.

@sasalx - Ahhh, another man of culture indeed.

@Shaka - Another anime/manga discussion buddy whom I don't mind revealing my guilty pleasure *cough*

@Stacys__Mom - Hands down the coolest Penguindrum fan I've talked to. Discussing anime and manga with this guy is always insightful thanks to his vast pool of knowledge.

Casual Discussion

@_XaViAN - One of the homies I wouldn't mind doing some karaoke with.

@aftersun - We aren’t particularly close to each other, but I do enjoy seeing her savage demonstration on League on the Discord server we’re both in. May she achieve her own heaven one day.

@AmataxD - Her very own presence makes me happy. She's one of the most spirited and talkative users I've ever come across on this site.

@arderine - Whenever I hear someone says the word 'waifu', I couldn't resist myself from thinking about her.

@Bakasui - Her wholesomeness is overloaded. Hopefully, her cat would appreciate her owner's affection more.

@fancyjasper - Our opinions often align with each other. For sure, she's one of the most chill Higurashi fangirls out there. Not to mention her great taste in husbandos, too.

@Feiticeira - Someone whom I used to talk to often, but not so much now sadly. Despite that, I still consider her a great friend of mine who knows what's right and wrong.

@foxtail9 - Another homie of mine who shares a tongue with me. Hopefully, she's doing well now with the bits of advice I've given her.

@Fuchsia - Though we don't come to a rational agreement on vegetables, he never fails to entertain me with his words.

@Futagokoro - If we human beings are fruits, she's definitely an apple of my eye.

@jorest - I have nothing to say to this guy, but hue hue hue.

@KumaNyaa - She's the first Discord user I befriended upon joining MAL's official server. Needless to say, she's also a fine addition to my collection of wholesomeness.

@lilyy - Didn't know there'd be a user who's more talkative than me. I'm totally defeated here by this madam...

@lorraxne - She's one of the bubbliest users I've met. The longest comment chain on my profile is with her.

@LukaThe12th - The coolest baller kid I met on the street.

@Marienkind - We've met each other not so long ago, but I already know that she's an ultimately talented writer waiting to be discovered. She might appear to be distant and reserved at first, but once you get to know her, you will feel her warmth.

@Nick-Laz - My senpai, literally and figuratively.

@Noodzilla - We haven't known each other for long, but based off our convo, I already know she's far cooler than ice.

@oyasueme - Though he has transformed into a lemon now, I would never forget Chief's identity as the greatest dairy product in the world.

@pure - Though we don't talk to each other much these days, she's still one of my good friends whose aesthetic merit breaks the scale.

@renernt - A fellow comrade who speaks the same language as me. Though she comes off trashy at times, I know she's genuinely caring and understanding from her heart.

@Rikkamei - forsenE.

@saengdao - We started off aloof, but got closer and closer to each other as we talked. The cards she makes are amazing and I like her overall friendliness toward others.

@SeidouTZ - This guy is the bomb. Nothing can stop him from answering my questions with a brutally honest and open mind.

@Seiya - An eccentric and amiable dude who's pleasant to have as a friend.

@Skittles - The OG! Practically the user who changed my perspective on MAL moderators, and it's always fun to talk with him on any subject. Coincidentally enough, we were on the same boat before :)

@Stellapuer - A true comrade from my homeland who always seeks for the odds. I have the utmost respect for this comrade.

@strawberrycheeks - I initially thought she speaks the same language as I do, but I was wrong. Fatefully, we somehow became acquainted and later on became friends who share stories with each other.

@Tssuki - She's one of the most chill users to ever exist on this website. She's not really an outspoken person, but has charisma for sure.

@UselessSakura - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Wormy01 - A gentle soul that shall be protected forever.

Forum Games

@ASlicedBread - An adorable presence who always seeks for optimism, though she seems to like the wrong vegetable...

@Chaet - Forum Games mascot and a fellow revivalist who aims to preserve the sank land of joy. Having her on my team is a pleasure.

@Izumaa - A fun dude to see around the forums. Whether he's trying hard or not, his posts are always entertaining to read.

@jiroutachi - Another user with delightful taste in films. Discussing movies with her is more than fun.

@Lore - A liberated bird flying aimlessly in the sky. I adore her style and many of the things she posts in Forum Games.

@Mimurona - He's the guy who always hides around the corners yet manages to light up the world with his fashionable words.

@Polycythemia - *best boi has joined the server*

@Sharpoint - An odd, but intriguing presence. He has good taste in waifus :)

@streetlights - This guy's words are pure gold. His Boku no Pico review has revolutionarily changed my perception of erotic anime as a whole.

@ThatRazorGuy - Not sure how I feel about him, but I do take a liking to his calmness and his taste in movies. As expected from a film student.

@Wolfbane - la mejor chica ha entrado en la habitación (Google Translate btw, not sure if it's accurate).

@xchyssa - Her posts always yield positivity.

@Yuichiro - Many of her Forum Games posts are quite creative. It's joyful to see her around.

How did you get into anime/manga?

I was exposed to anime during preschool when my dad bought us a giant cable television. Many of the cartoon channels we had would often feature long-running, family-oriented anime such as Doraemon, Chibi Maruko Chan, and Anpanman. I've been vigorously watching anime and reading manga since I was in elementary school, though nearly all of the anime and manga I've consumed in my childhood are oldies. I didn't see any 'modern' anime until 2016. On that day, I randomly stumbled upon an anime opening ("Renai Circulation") on Niconico (a popular Japanese video-sharing site). This discovery would ultimately catalyze my newfound passion in this medium as I constantly seek for new anime and manga to consume.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

Nowadays, I spend most of my time either shitposting in Forum Games or replying to the very few threads that truly intrigue me. Frankly, I couldn't tell if I like the moderation on this site or not. Nonetheless, I do hope the moderators can be more lenient on various takes. The site is a fun place for sure and I'm glad the userbase has been growing steadily since my arrival at the forums. I'm not entirely sure how to put my thoughts into words, but I really do enjoy interacting with others here. Since English is my second language, talking to others in English never hurts. I always consider it an opportunity to enhance my writing skills and exchange ideas and opinions among ourselves. It's just magical for me to read through other people's comments and replies and see the world through the lens of others from different corners of this world. I find joy in interacting with people since they have their own mindsets and have different cultural/family backgrounds in addition to their personal experience. Thanks to the helpfulness and resourcefulness of others, I've been constantly growing as a learner through forum discussions. I truly appreciate those who do take my opinions seriously.

Any anime from the current or last season that you think is overrated?

A few, and the most notable one would be Kenja no Mago. I believe the reasons are self-explanatory: characters whose personality are flatter than cardboards; extremely poor, almost-parodic transitions; and a completely predictable and mundane story that offers nothing original. I have no idea why it’s assigned with a mean score of nearly 7.00.

Which part of JoJo is the best? Why?
from @Mimurona

This is a tough one, but I do think Steel Ball Run is the most thematically engaging and coherent with splendidly written and well-developed characters. Araki's writing is as brilliant as always, and I adore the naturalness of this part. The developments are clearly logical and there is a sense of realism attached to each character's motives, such that they're all assigned an ambiguous sense of morality that would allow readers to directly perceive their world through different lenses. Here, I especially would like to give a shoutout to our protagonist Johnny, the only 'Jojo' who reigns against the current one and made a reputation of himself as an asshole since his debut. His massive ego is what made him so appealing as a protagonist, perfectly contrasting the tendency of previous Jojos to fight for a just cause. I also like his goofy, bold, and brotherly chemistry with Gyro. Hidden below the surface, the show contains critiques of thematically controversial topics that still remain prominent today, such as nationalism, equality, poetic justice, and many more.

Why do you recommend others to read Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun?
from @Mimurona

On a serious note, this manga is filled with wonderful meme-able historical and pop culture references I simply did not expect on top of its randomness. Then the stage is lightened (both literally and figuratively) with the grand entrance of David-kun, a seemingly normal teenager who just happens to look like Giorno Michelangelo's masterful sculpture under the same name. Like any other school-themed manga, Shishunki Reinaissance! David-kun delves deep into a teenager's daily life to explore the meaning of youth. This is done through the perspective of an adolescent who wishes to make memories and shape oneself from life experiences different from that of the common teenager. The story and message it tries to convey are simple, yet they're carried out with some of the most unpredictable and innovative measures I've known. The entire cast is based on classic renowned art, and the amount of unintended humor and references in this manga are insane. If you're a fan of slice of life stories with randomly comedic storytelling, I'm sure this manga is for you.

Why do you like writing long essays for profile comments?
from @Mimurona

Those unsightly text walls of mine shall not be revealed, yet you’ve done it.

I personally think being talkative is a great way to connect with those who also enjoy lengthy conversations. As for me, I typically converse with others in a 'Q & A' format since it's utterly insightful to know each other better through details if we want to strengthen our bond as online friends. I do wish people perceive me as someone who’s easy to approach. I view all my friends here as sources of discussion, gossip, and banter. I am aware that not everyone is fond of my ‘formula’ for chatting and I definitely wouldn’t expect every single of them to reciprocate, though I do appreciate those who did.

Who is the best boy, best girl, and best villain in Jojo?
from @tssuki

Best boy: Doppio who deserves more love :(
Best girl: Speedwagon Yasuho Hirose. A determined, thoughtful, and caring individual who is the best waifu the series has offered so far.
Best villain: Funny Valentine, simply because his decisions are fueled by his blind patriotism and desires for the greater good... in their perspective, of course. Not to mention the creative design of his stand and its power, too.

What do you think of pineapple on pizza?
from @Futagokoro

Love it! Though it would be nicer if mayo is applied as well.

You enjoy indie and arthouse films over larger mainstream productions. What got you into indie films? Why do you find them more appealing than mainstream titles, which tend to have bigger budgets that allow for better editing, effects, and more?
from @stellapuer

I firmly believe most contemporary mainstream Hollywood studios prioritize profit over everything else. Most movies today are exploiting our interests with commercial aims, which is why superhero films are so popular these days. I strongly believe indie films are made for different motives that reflect and align with the filmmaker's own interests and ideas. They are created in a way that shows little to no emphasis on earning profit on the director's mind. They are intended to convey a vision to viewers on top of their storytelling and expect us to think and feel in return so originality and creativity are highly valued. Expectedly, the confines of a tighter budget would limit the quality of their production. Nonetheless, it can also be seen as an opportunity to explore and try out new things as many indie filmmakers choose to distribute their budget with great intuition, attempting to land the heaviest impact on viewers while minimalizing the flaws and loss.

How much longer do you think you will be watching anime for
from @fuschia

For the rest of my life probably, since I’m destined to be chained down by my own unfulfilled weebness forever.

What three things do you find the most annoying?
from @BakaSui
  1. Politics
  2. Riven mains
  3. Ketchup

Do you think you will ever be tired of anime? Are you worried when the time will come?
from @arderine

Like I answered earlier, no. By no chance am I ever going to be worried or upset about it since anime is simply a small part of my life. I can live conformably without it.

Do you plan to settle in America or move back to Taiwan after graduating from college?
from @arderine

Yes, I do plan to settle in the US after I graduate since I've taken a liking to America’s work culture. I’m planning to work in the entertainment industry where individuality and creativity are highly valued. Generally, we’re given much freedom to schedule our works and make choices accordingly. I do think America’s diverse and versatile economy allows most people to survive in most parts of the country by working low wage jobs.

Since you're an animation major, would you be willing to work in the anime industry someday?
from @arderine

I don't see it as a possibility since I specialize in 3D animation, but you never know. To be blunt, I am no fan of Japan’s work ethic since I dislike the working conditions for the animators there: low pay, long work hours, and more often than not, a shortage of artists. The majority of anime studios have coercive policies and animators are forced to perform tasks that are not of their own interests and passion. As long as the structural problems preserve, I don’t see myself having a place in the anime industry.

How do you think users on MAL see you?
from @arderine

I may be one of the following:
  • Your friendly mayo delivery boy
  • Creep
  • Weirdo
  • Elitist wannabe
  • Cool kid

What were your fondest memories during your time living in China?
from @SeidouTZ

I’ve named some of them already, but my favorite memory is my encounter with the first girl that I lowkey fell in love with. I do condemn my own timidity for not conveying my feelings to her. We are still in touch with each other and keep contact on League’s Taiwanese server.

Did you have a favorite teacher? What swayed your opinion on them?
from @Lukethe12th

Yes! I even still remember her full name. I got transferred to an international high school when I turned 16, and since I have never studied in an all-English environment before, I was totally engulfed by loneliness when seeing other kids socializing in English and having fun. My sociology teacher was the first teacher to ever approach me in the kindest manner and introduced me to some of the other kids who were on the same boat as me. The way she interacted with her students was more genuine than friendly and she would always remind us to be respectful and willing to learn from others. I would never forget the guidance, friendship, and discipline she taught me. I hope one day we could meet again.

What is something that everyone looks stupid doing?
from @PlatinumZero

Hmm, I'd say waving at people whom you're familiar with, but they fail to see you and strangers would stare at you wondering what's up. Every time that happens, I have to cover up my embarrassment somehow. Details should not be told here.

If you could change one thing about MAL (add a feature, change a rule, anything you want), what would you change?
from @Malware

Oh intriguing! I'm sure this would be an unpopular opinion, but if I could, I would completely delete MAL's official Discord server. I believe it's one of the biggest reasons why the site's forum activity has decreased since most users would rather spend time on Discord. I personally prefer the forums over Discord because we are actually given much time to formulate our thoughts before we post (hence what we post on the forums are usually of greater consideration and have higher value for discussion) and we get to see others' opinions on the forums in a rationalized and transparent 'format' that Discord messages would never attain.

If you can change one arc from Monogatari, which would it be?
from @sasalx

I would say the 'Nadeko Snake' arc since it felt really empty and barely anything was introduced to develop Nadeko's character. The 'fight' with Nadeko was also a letdown, so I would try to come up with something to firmly establish a tighter connection between Nadeko and Araragi. Perhaps a moment for both of them to experience something paradoxical together and see through the lens of those who suffer and struggle to understand themselves would be good. This way, Nadeko has the opportunity to develop as a character.

What do you usually do before you go to bed?
from @jiroutachi

After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future?

Yes, I think so, but I’m not entirely sure I have enough courage since I’ve made so many memories in the forums and came across so many precious people here.

Any feedback on the interview format?

I think it's pretty okay!

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Yes.

Mayonnaise would always, always be superior to ketchup and that's a universal fact.

Could you recommend us three users from which we can choose to interview in the future and why?

@arderine – She’s a living question mark who's too much even for the shadows. Though we know each other well, I'm sure she still got many lovely stories to tell.

@papsoshea - One of the most introspective users I've encountered on the internet. I'm sure his interview would be full of surprises.

@Noodzilla - We haven't met for long, but she's another hidden gem. Her quirkiness is exceptional and beyond my standards.

removed-userJul 28, 2019 4:14 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 28, 2019 7:59 AM

May 2014
The mayo king finally gets an interview! :D This was a fun read.

I'd never heard of ultimate frisbee until now, but it looks like a really enjoyable sport. We need an anime about this.

And plz don't leave MAL just yet ;_;
Jul 28, 2019 8:00 AM

Oct 2015
Lovely read <3 ty for the mention

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Jul 28, 2019 8:09 AM

Feb 2018
ayy cute af interview hahah

Jul 28, 2019 9:54 AM

Aug 2012
Mayonnaise makes you fat and undesirable. There, I said it.
Jul 28, 2019 4:07 PM

Feb 2016
i was suddenly and inexplicably reminded by taiwanese cuisine.

anyway, thanks for the mention; this interview was a fun read. it's clear you put effort into it, given the well-thought answers and charming flair.
if you leave mal, do hit me up on discord. i would miss talking to you.

wondering how long it took for you to write all the shoutouts...heh.

i like soup

Jul 29, 2019 1:47 AM

Oct 2018
Great interview! Now we know the Mayo better, haha.
It was a very good read! :)
Thank you for the mention aswell!
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jul 29, 2019 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
Ty for the mention and compliment, i also very much appreciate our conversations :>

Nice interview, i didn't know you were such a big fan of Clint Eastwood movies would be interested in knowing what are your favorite and underapreciated titles directed by him.
Also Soy sauce is better than mayonnaise and ketchup :p
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.