Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2019 2:43 PM
May 2015
So, since we all are waiting and probably rewatched and re-read it 20 times already I found something that many of you might not know of. Tencent released a live action drama which of I just found out today. It's absolutely stunning, although some details are slightly changed - it still is worth watching. The actors are absolutely amazing as is the whole production. Hope that at least some of you give it a try!
Here's a link to the first episode, find more episodes on the official Tencent channel. It says that it will have 50 episodes, so we are slightly over the half right now. Two new episodes release each week (I believe Wednesday and Friday 8pm - probably Chinese time). It's also subbed in many languages!

Enjoy watching!
Jul 27, 2019 9:29 PM

Aug 2008
i know about it for a time, but i always disliked live action soi won't watch it :)))
find it cringy :p
The spider is watching
Jul 28, 2019 12:02 PM
Apr 2018
Some details are "slightly changed" lmao. More like the plot goes waaaay tf off the rails. But there's also scenes they adapt even more loyally than the donghua did. For example, Wen Chao got closer to his fantastic original death than the easy ass death they gave him in the donghua. But hey it gave me a reason to ship Lan Yi and BaoShen SanRen hahaha. Yeah I usually find live action cringey and the untamed definitely takes some getting used to but it's pretty enjoyable haha. 29-31 should prolly be subbed tomorrow ❤️

IdknymkreAug 15, 2019 8:05 PM
Aug 2, 2019 3:46 AM
Sep 2011
watch it on viki! it's 2 episodes a day for 3 days a week, they sub as they go so it takes about a day to get all the lines. Episode 34 is out and we're in the present finally! The raw is about a week ahead I believe for VIP members on the tencent website (tho I'm honestly not sure what's going on with that website, google translate is no help)
Aug 2, 2019 3:50 AM
Sep 2011
dany_elle1908 said:
i know about it for a time, but i always disliked live action soi won't watch it :)))
find it cringy :p
You should give it a go, honestly less cringe than the donghua, the actors are very cute and the sets are unreal!
Aug 15, 2019 8:02 PM
Apr 2018
takeo_ said:
So, since we all are waiting and probably rewatched and re-read it 20 times already I found something that many of you might not know of. Tencent released a live action drama which of I just found out today.

greencoathook76 said:
watch it on viki!

Ahhhh are yall still keeping up with it are you on 46 also? This shit is craaaazy they're keeping so many scenes loyal to the book JC broke my heart all over again. Not ready for it to end 😢
IdknymkreAug 15, 2019 8:09 PM
Aug 15, 2019 8:09 PM
Sep 2011
Yalthamen said:

I'm deceased! I haven't finished the book, so as of ep 45 it's beyond where I am and I'm really excited to see everything!
Aug 15, 2019 8:12 PM
Apr 2018
greencoathook76 said:
Yalthamen said:

I'm deceased! I haven't finished the book, so as of ep 45 it's beyond where I am and I'm really excited to see everything!

Lol finish the book! How far did you get? The show is staying surprisingly loyal to the book at this point! It was way off the rails earlier on. But you'll be surprised to see what scenes happened in the book that the live action had to cut due to censorship haha
Aug 15, 2019 8:28 PM
Sep 2011
Yalthamen said:
Lol finish the book! How far did you get? The show is staying surprisingly loyal to the book at this point! It was way off the rails earlier on. But you'll be surprised to see what scenes happened in the book that the live action had to cut due to censorship haha

I got to where they're in the cave and wwx uses himself as bait. I was reading as it was being translated but missed a bunch of updates and couldn't find my place again, now I'm just too lazy lmao

Yeah, when they did the yin metal thing I was very ??? but now its pretty much what I remember. I have heard of the things lol even if we miss the promise of everyday I'm pretty happy with the depiction of their relationship, the team has put a lot of heart into it and it shows!
Aug 15, 2019 8:34 PM
Apr 2018
greencoathook76 said:
Yalthamen said:

I got to where they're in the cave and wwx uses himself as bait. I was reading as it was being translated but missed a bunch of updates and couldn't find my place again, now I'm just too lazy lmao

Yeah, when they did the yin metal thing I was very ??? but now its pretty much what I remember. I have heard of the things lol even if we miss the promise of everyday I'm pretty happy with the depiction of their relationship, the team has put a lot of heart into it and it shows!

Yeah haha the yin metal thing was so weird. Randomly meeting Lan Yi in that cave. And the biggest thing imo was that WWX didn't transmigrate hahaha. The mask thing was crazy. I know they wanted to use the same actor but they coulda just used the same actor and pretended it was 2 different people, I wouldn't have complained. But altogether yeah its sooo good. I'm shocked at how much romance has remained intact. I feel like they're prolly giving the Chinese censorship board a lot of headaches with "naw they're just bro-flirting".
It's all over next week though idk what I'll do without 6 hours of this stuff a week lol
IdknymkreAug 15, 2019 9:04 PM
Aug 15, 2019 9:03 PM
Sep 2011
Yalthamen said:

Yeah, there were some changes I don't think were well thought out. They should've just kept the makeup instead of the ugly mask. But also some of the additions were v good like the bunny headbands!!

I'm actually kinda scared for the actors like the last time a gay show got pulled the actors were forbidden from seeing each other but now with how the gov't has been making people disappear I worry.

There's always the anime, audio drama and manhua lol plus scum villain is coming this winter I think?
Aug 15, 2019 9:12 PM
Apr 2018
greencoathook76 said:
Yalthamen said:

Yeah dude I feel you. I get scared for MXTX writing these novels 😥 The govt better keep their hands off that precious best girl.

I haven't been too impressed with the manhua... I was keeping up with the audio drama then I dropped it, but you're right, once the untamed ends I can always detox with the audio drama lmao.

Did you read scum villain or tgcf? I'm not sure about the 3D preview but of course I will definitely loyally keep up when it comes out lol.

((also, in case you wanted to pick the book back up but couldn't find your place, he uses himself as bait in ch. 81 https://exiledrebelsscanlations.com/gdc-chapter-81/ it just gets better from there 😁...sorry I can't stop spamming novel links lol))
IdknymkreAug 15, 2019 9:23 PM
Aug 15, 2019 9:32 PM
Sep 2011
Yalthamen said:
I finished scum and I'm reading tgcf now that someone clued me in on the google doc lol I'm not sure about the 3d either, I really wish it was done the same as mdzs I was surprised how beautiful the animation was.

Thank you so much for the link!
Aug 15, 2019 9:36 PM
Apr 2018
greencoathook76 said:
Yalthamen said:
I finished scum and I'm reading tgcf now that someone clued me in on the google doc lol I'm not sure about the 3d either, I really wish it was done the same as mdzs I was surprised how beautiful the animation was.

Thank you so much for the link!

Np, hope you enjoy tgcf, I love yummysuika's translation!
Aug 20, 2019 7:37 PM
Apr 2018
Finished the subbed live action today and I have some comments in relation to the donghua. Plz for the love of holiness do not let the donghua end like the live action. Don't get me wrong, I liked the liva action, but...

Aug 20, 2019 8:47 PM
Aug 2019
Yalthamen said:
Finished the subbed live action today and I have some comments in relation to the donghua. Plz for the love of holiness do not let the donghua end like the live action. Don't get me wrong, I liked the liva action, but...

LwjDragHimmmmAug 20, 2019 8:54 PM
Aug 20, 2019 10:08 PM
Apr 2018
LwjDragHimmmm said:
Yalthamen said:

Aug 21, 2019 2:00 AM
Nov 2016
let me just add from my own experience on what I felt on this live action, KEEP IN MIND I"m not saying you can't like/love this version. everyone is free to like what they want. I only watch 5 episodes of live action and gave up, so that what I felt about it.

I really really didn't like the live action unlike the animetion version that felt amazing!! not just in the animetion part but also in the character's part, this world building part, their interaction. like someone already said, the live action felt very very cringy. especially Wei actor that didn't felt like Wei himself at all in the first episodes and when he was trying to be "sad" felt very bad acting to me, it felt fake. and the first episodes ARE very importent for character's unlike the animetion version did amazing showing how crazy, carefree and wild Wei is from the very start.

yeas the animetion change a few things, but to me it felt good and well done changes that fit the animetions series! it fit the series then forcing all things that happen in the novel so it was done better.

another bad thing about the live action - it was a mass in the plot. they mix up events that happen in the novel past and future events, for example they put an event that should happen in their present future self in the past before Wei died and I was so angry and frustrated cause it felt massy. and them falling down from the river to a cave was even worse!! and the girl that Wei meet out of no where while in the novel girls and guys were separate from each other, that was a worse change if you asked me!

and no I won't force myself to watch this mass until episode 12-20 where it get "good". the animetion already did it good from the fucking first episode and did way better and less boring then the live action.

I won't event start talking about the zombies and horror part and the camare part that was worse too then the animetion version.

so if you asked me, the animetion was better then the live action in every way. even if the live action kept a lot of scenes from the novel, the peace of the plot was worse then the animetion version.
Ko-meAug 21, 2019 9:26 AM
Aug 22, 2019 12:08 PM

Feb 2010
Eh I liked it. At first I thought it was hilarious but then it got actually p good. Would watch again. I wouldn't compare it to the donghua since the tone and execution between them is so different anyways.
Nov 19, 2019 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
haven't watched it yet but there is so much hype over it on Mydramalist (it's rated 9.3 right now) people there are more obsessed with the live action than the anime xD

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Nov 20, 2019 10:30 AM
Apr 2018
sunsetocean said:
haven't watched it yet but there is so much hype over it on Mydramalist (it's rated 9.3 right now) people there are more obsessed with the live action than the anime xD

Yeah especially the second half is phenomenal and after a kinda off-the-walls first half, it becomes rather verbatim from the novel, also its way gayer hahh
Nov 20, 2019 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
Ehh. The live action was fine in my opinion, I'd give it a good 7 - higher if not for the terrible CG that took a while to get used to. It's understandable that the series stayed at a 4/10 in the beginning. The story really improves later on but it bugged me that Chinese censorship doesn't allow WWX to be the necromancer he truly is. I think this is also the case as to why Hua Cheng from the upcoming TGCF donghua is described as a Dark King and not the Ghost KING. Censorship strikes again. Moving on, episode 49 (similarly the entire ending) felt bland and incomplete (as with the rest of the story) which would not have been the case if they followed the plot of the novel properly. The last season of the donghua suffered from this as well but I guess BC May are too focused on perfecting their new Occult Investigator's Case Record Donghua which has some stunning PVs released. Anyway, I've read that Croton Media has bought the rights to the TGCF live action. They did Princess Agents among many other beautiful dramas so let's hope they make the TGCF adaptation visually stunning (with good CG!).
Nov 29, 2019 6:42 AM

Sep 2014
I tried The Untamed recently, it feels pretty average (I've only watched up to 10 eps rn) not hooked on this drama yet 🙄 I am just watching it for the bromance.
It's at 9.4 rating again at MDL
sunsetoceanNov 29, 2019 6:46 AM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Dec 1, 2019 6:42 AM

Aug 2010
sunsetocean said:
I tried The Untamed recently, it feels pretty average (I've only watched up to 10 eps rn) not hooked on this drama yet 🙄 I am just watching it for the bromance.
It's at 9.4 rating again at MDL

It doesn't start off amazing but it does get better and better.
Its score on a lot of sites started off pretty low (when it first started to air) and had gone up higher and higher as it continued to air.
Like on douban, at the beginning it had a score of like 4.3 and now it's at 8.3.
So it's worth a try to continue watching.
Dec 4, 2019 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
The live action drama is ranked number 1 in mydramalist. I didn't watch it but is it really better than the anime
Dec 5, 2019 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
lavah said:
The live action drama is ranked number 1 in mydramalist. I didn't watch it but is it really better than the anime

In all honesty, both adaptations have their strengths and weaknesses. If the donghua had followed the plot of the novel to a T (ignoring the censored parts) without abridgements, it would've been the superior adaptation since the animation is gorgeous, in my opinion. The live action has terrible CG and super long, badly done fight scenes (and those ridiculous masks!), but they took their time to tell the story (although it is somewhat different in terms of plot), and even gave Wen Qing more screen time (FINALLY).
Dec 6, 2019 9:28 PM
Oct 2019
lavah said:

Heh...as someone who've watched the drama till the end and already exploring/or in east asian/thailand bl drama fandoms also (aside from anime fandom)...the answer is no.
I don't know if you're a newbie in mydramalist or east asian drama land or not, but the people who watched was asian drama are usually k-poppies or east asian drama fanatics whose generally lacks critical thinking (even more than anime fandoms) and their standards are mostly measured by the cheap romance aspect and not considering the others. That itself marks the difference between drama fans and anime fans who contribute to the live action drama bandwagon by people.
Also, regarding why I consider the anime to be better than live action despite the flaws, I'm not even touching the CGI/technical aspects yet, this time I will only talk about the problem with characterizations/ character positions in the drama, which are much more in usual black-white characterization stereotypes than the novel/anime/audio drama/manga, plus they tried hard to gearing it into cheap melodrama more than it should. Oh, and I'm not even talking about that in details and not even the drama's plot-holes in which exists much more than any of novel/adaptations.
Dec 7, 2019 8:01 PM

Sep 2014
moshiyare said:
lavah said:

In all honesty, both adaptations have their strengths and weaknesses. If the donghua had followed the plot of the novel to a T (ignoring the censored parts) without abridgements, it would've been the superior adaptation since the animation is gorgeous, in my opinion. The live action has terrible CG and super long, badly done fight scenes (and those ridiculous masks!), but they took their time to tell the story (although it is somewhat different in terms of plot), and even gave Wen Qing more screen time (FINALLY).

lmao I actually liked the bad cgi it made it more entertaining for me 😂 like that black wolf and tortoise.. the timed comments in EP 14 at Viki were hilarious

But I love the drama's opening/ending themes better than the anime. The anime OP sounds cringey to me

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Feb 17, 2020 1:14 PM

Aug 2008
lol, i was not watching it and in an week devoured 50 eps :))))
now toward the living dead movie ta da
The spider is watching
Feb 17, 2020 7:35 PM
Apr 2018
dany_elle1908 said:
lol, i was not watching it and in an week devoured 50 eps :))))
now toward the living dead movie ta da
ya once you get past the first few episodes it gets awesome. Cn dramas usually get good around episode 15 in my experience lmao.
And the Nie Brothers movie is coming soon too haha.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2019

24 by KuroKen15 »»
Feb 15, 12:05 PM

» Are you confused?

Idknymkre - Aug 7, 2019

14 by serina7 »»
Feb 7, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 3, 2019

28 by samyllazevedo »»
Oct 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 23, 2019

51 by iamnameers »»
Feb 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 31, 2019

50 by diorcula »»
Jan 31, 2023 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.