Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jul 24, 6:55 PM
Is the Fate franchise worth watching and in what way should I watch it?

Jul 24, 11:48 PM

Im not a big fan of the fate series so I don't really know much, but as far as I know,

The broadcast order:
1.Fate/Stay Night
2.Fate/Zero
3.Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
4.Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel

But the order of the story is:
1.Fate/Zero
2.Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks or Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel

This anime is adapted from a visual novel, When playing visual novels you can have different endings depends on the choices you make throughout the game and the Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks and Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel are the different routes/endings.

The rest are just spinoffs so you can watch them in any order.

But if you'll ask me which order is better I'll say go with the broadcast order, there's a reason they released them in those order.

Again Im not sure if what I said is entirely right, so please when someone noticed there's something wrong with what I wrote correct it.
Modified by Scabbard, Jul 25, 12:43 AM

Jul 25, 12:56 AM
Thank you, I was wondering if fate/kaleid liner will have anything to do with the three fate franchises u mentioned

Jul 25, 1:32 AM

Fate/kaleid is not connected with the original series, they may have used some of the characters from the original series but its not connected, its like they made a new story using the plot of the original series, its a spinoff after all so it doesnt have anything to do with it.

Jul 25, 1:38 AM
TNC Creator

This is the order I suggest:

1. Fate/Zero
2. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
3. Carnival Phantasm (optional)
4. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel

After that, you can watch whatever other fate series you want to. There are a lot, after all. Fate/Stay Night (2006) is technically the original route of Stay Night, but it's not a part of the Ufotable series. I say at the very least watch Fate/Zero, as it's considered one of Gen Urobochi's best works, and in my opinion, is a great anime by itself. Gen Urobochi is known for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, as well as Psycho-Pass (two anime that are well-known and critically acclaimed).

··Wʜᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀ ʀᴜɴ﹐ ᴀ ᴊᴏɢ﹐ ᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟᴋ﹐ ᴏɴᴇ ꜱᴛᴇᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ.··

Jul 25, 2:37 AM

If your going with the order i suggested just know this, The protagonist from fate/stay night, Shirou Emiya is the son of the protagonist from fate/zero kiritsugu emiya but not by blood, kiritsugu took shirou in after he lost everything because of the holy grail war kirisugu's involved. Im just telling the connection because me myself was confused when I watched it.

Jul 25, 3:24 AM

I have another suggestion

Every Visual Novels have several endings but most of them have true endings, The true endings is what really happened they just created multiple endings because its a game but if your just going for the "true story" (What really happened) you just need the true ending.

First watch Fate/Zero

Then if you dont have time watching everything and you just want the true ending watch the "fate/stay night" (Why?)

According to this thread I saw (It contains spoilers)
https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/fate-stay-night-true-ending.34865/

Presuming with what he posted the one alligned with the true ending is the Fate route which is (Fate/Stay Night) because he posted the final episode of Fate/Stay Night and connected it with the true ending. The anime didnt adapt the true ending so just go to youtube and search fate/stay night VN true ending or just click the link it contains the true ending, The order is Fate/Zero>Fate/Stay Night>True Ending.

But again Im not sure if what I wrote is right, even the thread I linked is not a reliable source. Thats why I didnt like fate series that much not because its bad or something but because I dont know the true ending unlike the other animes adapted from visual novels its not clear which is the true ending, so the best choice is play the visual novel, the story in the visual novel is way way more detailed than the anime adaptation, I havent really played the Fate/Stay Night VN yet but I already played a lot of visual novels and I can say that Its very detailed.
Modified by Scabbard, Jul 25, 3:42 AM

Jul 25, 3:45 AM
Honestly I feel this is the best order to watch it in:

1. Fate/Zero
2. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
3. Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel

This is because unlimited blade works spoils fate/zero as it takes place around 10 years after the events of fate/zero. Also don't bother watching the original fate/stay night, just watch the adaptations by Ufotable as they are of much higher quality.

After watching these three, I didn't go further but you can if you want. There are lots of spin-offs, alternate universes and side stories (apocrypha, kaleid, grand order etc etc) so it can get very confusing, but just remember that zero, unlimited blade works and heaven's feel are the more popular and the ones worth watching.

This video is funny, but inadvertently explains it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVwcUhxt1k

Aug 17, 1:00 AM
OKAY SO
This is my understanding of Fate.
---MAIN SERIES---
Okay so to start off, we have the original Fate/stay night Visual Novel. This is separated into three routes, that are supposed to be played in a specific order. The 2006 Fate/stay night by Studio Deen is an adaptation of the first route, dubbed the Fate route. The second route is Unlimited Blade Works, which has received two adaptations, once by Studio Deen as a movie, and once by ufotable as a show. Lastly, there is the Heaven's Feel route, which is currently being adapted by ufotable as a series of three movies, only one of which is currently out and subtitled.
Now, there is also Fate/Zero, which is a prequel to the events of every route, but was released after the original Fate/stay night, and before Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works. This has a spin-off, taking place after it and staring one of the other surviving masters from the 4th Grail War.
There is also Fate/Prototype, which is a single OVA by Lerche. This was Type-Moon's original idea for Fate, which was then reworked into the Fate we all know and love. There are numerous differences in this, for example Saber being a man.
There is an ONA named Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan by ufotable which is a spinoff of the original Fate/stay night, which features the Emiya family and other recognisable Fate characters shopping for and cooking food.
Lastly, there is Carnival Phantasm by Lerche, which links the three components of the Nasuverse that have anime adaptations together, specifically Kara no Kyoukai and Shingetsutan Tsukihime, and of course Fate/stay night

---SPINOFFS AND SUCH---
So these all take place in different universes from the main series. The first of these is Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, a magical girl version of the 5th Grail War, starring one of the masters from the original Fate/stay night.
Fate/Extra: Last Encore is another spinoff that I know very little about (but I think it takes place in a computer simulation?) which is based off of a trilogy of video games by the same name.
Fate/Apocrypha is another version of the 5th Grail War but with completely different masters and servants.
Fate/Grand Order is a mobile game that currently only has a 1 episode OVA but is going to be adapted into an anime very soon.

TO SUMMARIZE:

My recommended watch order:

Main Series:
1. Fate/stay night (you can skip this one to be honest)
--- Carnival Phantasm (spinoff)
--- Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan (spinoff)
2. Fate/Zero
--- Fate/Zero: Onegai! Einzbern Soudanshitsu (chibi spinoff)
3. Fate/Zero 2nd Season
4. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note - Hakamori to Neko to Majutsushi*
5. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note*
6. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Prologue
7. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
8. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
--- Fate/stay night: Unlimted Blade Works 2nd Season - Sunny Day (alternate ending)
9. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower
10. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly
11. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - III. Spring Song
12. Fate/Prototype**

*These two do not need to be watched to understand Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works in any way, but it is recommended that you watch Fate/Zero before them.
**Can be watched at any point.

Extella Universe:
1. Fate/Extra: Last Encore
2. Fate/Extra: Last Encore - Illustrias Tendousetsu

Apocrypha Universe:
1. Fate/Apocrypha

Fate/kaleid liner Universe:
1. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Prisma☆Phantasm (the Carnival Phantasm of this universe)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Undoukai de Dance! (side-story)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Specials (side-story)
2. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Mahou Shoujo in Onsen Ryokou (side-story)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! Specials (side-story)
3. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! Specials (side-story)
4. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Specials (side-story)
5. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Movie: Sekka no Chikai
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Movie: Sekka no Chikai - Kuro Sakura no Heya (side story)

Fate/Grand Order Universe (This is difficult to map due to the fact that three components have yet to air):
1. Fate/Grand Order: First Order
--- Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom (special)
--- Manga de Wakaru! Fate/Grand Order (special)
--- Fate/Grand Order: Himuro no Tenchi - 7-nin no Saikyou Ijin-hen (special)
2. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia - Initium Iter
3. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia
4. Fate/Grand Order: Shinsei Entaku Ryouiki Camelot 1 - Wandering; Agateram
5. Fate/Grand Order: Shinsei Entaku Ryouiki Camelot 2 - Paladin; Agateram

SO THAT'S HOW YOU WATCH FATE BOIIIS
Modified by Efnyx, Aug 17, 1:04 AM

Aug 18, 2:33 AM
TNC Creator

Kanekechi said:
OKAY SO
This is my understanding of Fate.
---MAIN SERIES---
Okay so to start off, we have the original Fate/stay night Visual Novel. This is separated into three routes, that are supposed to be played in a specific order. The 2006 Fate/stay night by Studio Deen is an adaptation of the first route, dubbed the Fate route. The second route is Unlimited Blade Works, which has received two adaptations, once by Studio Deen as a movie, and once by ufotable as a show. Lastly, there is the Heaven's Feel route, which is currently being adapted by ufotable as a series of three movies, only one of which is currently out and subtitled.
Now, there is also Fate/Zero, which is a prequel to the events of every route, but was released after the original Fate/stay night, and before Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works. This has a spin-off, taking place after it and staring one of the other surviving masters from the 4th Grail War.
There is also Fate/Prototype, which is a single OVA by Lerche. This was Type-Moon's original idea for Fate, which was then reworked into the Fate we all know and love. There are numerous differences in this, for example Saber being a man.
There is an ONA named Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan by ufotable which is a spinoff of the original Fate/stay night, which features the Emiya family and other recognisable Fate characters shopping for and cooking food.
Lastly, there is Carnival Phantasm by Lerche, which links the three components of the Nasuverse that have anime adaptations together, specifically Kara no Kyoukai and Shingetsutan Tsukihime, and of course Fate/stay night

---SPINOFFS AND SUCH---
So these all take place in different universes from the main series. The first of these is Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, a magical girl version of the 5th Grail War, starring one of the masters from the original Fate/stay night.
Fate/Extra: Last Encore is another spinoff that I know very little about (but I think it takes place in a computer simulation?) which is based off of a trilogy of video games by the same name.
Fate/Apocrypha is another version of the 5th Grail War but with completely different masters and servants.
Fate/Grand Order is a mobile game that currently only has a 1 episode OVA but is going to be adapted into an anime very soon.

TO SUMMARIZE:

My recommended watch order:

Main Series:
1. Fate/stay night (you can skip this one to be honest)
--- Carnival Phantasm (spinoff)
--- Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan (spinoff)
2. Fate/Zero
--- Fate/Zero: Onegai! Einzbern Soudanshitsu (chibi spinoff)
3. Fate/Zero 2nd Season
4. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note - Hakamori to Neko to Majutsushi*
5. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note*
6. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Prologue
7. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
8. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
--- Fate/stay night: Unlimted Blade Works 2nd Season - Sunny Day (alternate ending)
9. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower
10. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly
11. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - III. Spring Song
12. Fate/Prototype**

*These two do not need to be watched to understand Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works in any way, but it is recommended that you watch Fate/Zero before them.
**Can be watched at any point.

Extella Universe:
1. Fate/Extra: Last Encore
2. Fate/Extra: Last Encore - Illustrias Tendousetsu

Apocrypha Universe:
1. Fate/Apocrypha

Fate/kaleid liner Universe:
1. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Prisma☆Phantasm (the Carnival Phantasm of this universe)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Undoukai de Dance! (side-story)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Specials (side-story)
2. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Mahou Shoujo in Onsen Ryokou (side-story)
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! Specials (side-story)
3. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! Specials (side-story)
4. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Specials (side-story)
5. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Movie: Sekka no Chikai
--- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Movie: Sekka no Chikai - Kuro Sakura no Heya (side story)

Fate/Grand Order Universe (This is difficult to map due to the fact that three components have yet to air):
1. Fate/Grand Order: First Order
--- Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom (special)
--- Manga de Wakaru! Fate/Grand Order (special)
--- Fate/Grand Order: Himuro no Tenchi - 7-nin no Saikyou Ijin-hen (special)
2. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia - Initium Iter
3. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia
4. Fate/Grand Order: Shinsei Entaku Ryouiki Camelot 1 - Wandering; Agateram
5. Fate/Grand Order: Shinsei Entaku Ryouiki Camelot 2 - Paladin; Agateram

SO THAT'S HOW YOU WATCH FATE BOIIIS

One other Nasuverse to consider for when it comes to Type-Moon in Carnival Phantasm is Melty Blood (I believe).

··Wʜᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀ ʀᴜɴ﹐ ᴀ ᴊᴏɢ﹐ ᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟᴋ﹐ ᴏɴᴇ ꜱᴛᴇᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ.··

Aug 18, 6:08 AM

This question is too subjective because there isn't an order.

Sep 3, 4:36 PM

Don't forget about Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan (Today's Menu for the Emiya Family) LOL. It's a cookery themed slice of life spin-off featuring the Fate cast, and it's just so adorable with beautiful artwork, and the recipes are healthy and inspiring as well! You can maybe watch this after you've watched the other Fate's as it's nice to see some of the main characters in a laid back, down to earth context :D

Check out this Volleyball match clip from the said series - it's quite funny and it doesn't 'spoil' anything:

Oct 26, 1:30 PM

A bit late and the text is old, but:
First the Fate order... There is no official order means, if you are bored, then you can jump to the next Fate row. It is better, but if you go after release date of each Fate series. Fate/Stay Night (2006) > Fate/Zero (2011) > Fate/Stay: Night Unlimited Bladeworks (2014 - 2015) > Fate/Stay Night: Heaveen's Feel (2017) - These are the main titles or parts of the Fate series. Fate/Aporcrypha, Fate/Extra, etc... are independent. This is Fate's universe is also very big, depending on the event the story goes in a certain direction. Also the two anime Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai belong to the Fate series!

Now for the explanation:
Fate/Stay Night was originally a computer game (Visual Novel - VN), which can go in three different directions. Although the Fate/Stay Night series start right away, they end differently.

The Fate Route (realized as anime in 2006) with focus on King Artur (Arturia)

The Unlimited Bladeworks Route (2010 as a film, and 2014 also as a series) with focus on Servant Archer and Rin

The Heaven's Feel Route (not yet published as anime in 2017) with focus on the Matou magician family

and then there's Fate/Zero (2011), the review or the past of the whole Fate/Stay Night series. So it doesn't matter which Fate you would start with.

Supplement...
Main parts:
Fate/Grand Order
Fate/Extra Last Encore
Fate/Extra CCC
Fate/Extra CCC Fox Tail
Fate/Extella
Fate/Extella Link
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
Fate/Zero
Fate/stay night
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works