Forum Settings
Forums

Do you value realistic romance in non-romance anime?

New
Jul 23, 2019 2:34 PM
Apr 2016
Many non-romance shows have romance, most of the time it's silly, unfortunately. Some non-romance shows portray romance in a realistic light, however. How do you prefer it? It's honestly comical when a "mature" anime portrays romance extremely unrealistically, it ruins the experience quite a lot.
Jul 23, 2019 2:49 PM

May 2019
I like it when non-romance shows have realistic romance in it. Like you said it just ruins the experience if they portray romance unrealistically in a series.
Jul 23, 2019 2:52 PM

May 2017
tru ,romance suffers lots in anime

somehow in manga it tends to go better even when its not realistic

anyway to answer the question,it's always a nice suprise when i stumble upon
Jul 23, 2019 2:52 PM
Oct 2017
I find it interesting when they try to develop romance in any work, sometimes it gets bad or sounds forced, but when done right, I got out of business.
Jul 23, 2019 2:53 PM

Oct 2008
I think romance isn't necessary for a series, but it does add to the story the series is telling. I like complicated, controversial and heart breaking love.

White album 2
Kuzu no Honkai
Domestic na Kanojo

Romance in comedy is at times entertaining, but it is by no means interesting.
Jul 23, 2019 4:11 PM

Jul 2017
I mean, idk what "realistic" looks like from your perspective, but I can say it probably differs from mine. Either way any romance is good so long as the characters are shippable so it doesn't matter to me
Jul 23, 2019 4:32 PM

Feb 2019
Short_Circut said:
I mean, idk what "realistic" looks like from your perspective, but I can say it probably differs from mine. Either way any romance is good so long as the characters are shippable so it doesn't matter to me
I’m a bit curious, could you tell me what a realistic romance story is from your perspective?
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Jul 23, 2019 7:59 PM

Jul 2017
-Frost- said:
Short_Circut said:
I’m a bit curious, could you tell me what a realistic romance story is from your perspective?

I don't really have a big answer since I have not that many personal anecdotes to back it up with, so I guess you could say a more naive idea based on my experiences. I'm just saying, "realistic" is kinda one of those buzzwords thrown around where everybody expects it to have some sort of universal implication when it really just comes down to one's own experience, so it lowkey irks me whenever I see it being thrown around everywhere lol (not a jab at OP but in general)
Jul 23, 2019 8:47 PM

May 2015
What matters is the chemistry between characters and the way it's balanced with the rest of the story. Realistic or not is a secondary issue. But it should be at least believable.
Jul 23, 2019 9:03 PM
Mar 2016
I don't care much for realistic romance because it usually implies drama and hardships. As long as the two have chemistry, the romance will be good imo. Most of the anime I watch aren't realistic so if romance were to be added to each one, I'd prefer it was kept simple and subtle
Jul 25, 2019 6:02 AM

Mar 2015
Yes I prefer for the romance to feel natural. One of my biggest pet peeves for shows/movies is when they cram in romance just for the sake of it and it's just kinda there with minimal development.
Jul 25, 2019 6:34 AM

Jul 2016
shadowblaster5 said:
I don't care much for realistic romance because it usually implies drama and hardships. As long as the two have chemistry, the romance will be good imo. Most of the anime I watch aren't realistic so if romance were to be added to each one, I'd prefer it was kept simple and subtle

To me this is a description of what a non realistic romance is. Most of the time romance is two people getting to know each other and enjoying each others company. If in real life you decided to ignore your boyfriend for endless days and mistreat him because you saw him talk to a random girl, only to find out that it was his cousin or something, please seek psychological help. The unnecessary endeless excessive drama is what ruins romance in most anime and make it non realistic imo.
Jul 25, 2019 7:01 AM

Jul 2016
But to answer the main question, yes, I like romance in non-romance anime. Because romance and love is a part of life for most people and knowing the character is able to fall in love etc. makes he/she more realistic in my eyes, even when it is not that well executed.
Jul 25, 2019 7:12 AM

Feb 2019
TBH, I don't even know what a realistic romance looks like.........I mean I never had a deep relationship with the opposite sex let alone a girlfriend
Jul 25, 2019 7:19 AM

Aug 2014
I think romance always add more to a story but i like it more like a subplot that are developing during the main plot. The best ones are that it happens midway and are couple during later.
Jul 25, 2019 7:22 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
as long romance anime isn't western style "realistic".

You know, casuals flings, one night stands, pity sex and replacement relationships etc.. playing "relationship" by switching often partner and so on..

That shit I hate. Main reason why 90% of western "romance" series/movies are utter cancer.

And on the other hand, Anime romance I absolutely adore as it matches my views and thrives.
Jul 25, 2019 7:23 AM

Apr 2017
I generally speaking do. I don't mind the lack of it, but romance can be improvement to almost any genre as long as it's done well and it doesn't take away too much focus from the main story of the show. This is however rather rare. More often than not romance in non-romance shows is either done poorly just for the shipping purposes or as a bait, or it takes away too much focus from other parts of the show. In general I find the way anime in general handles romance rather poor to the point when romance shows started to be outright annoying to me.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jul 25, 2019 7:47 AM

Feb 2017
What does realistic or unrealistic romance even means?

People in real life fall in love in all different kind of ways and the journey from falling in love to actually becoming a couple can be quite different to a lot of people.

Anyway to answer your question, irrespective of realistic/unrealistic i do value subtle romance and its a plus point in every anime/manga that i encounter. My fav series with subtle romance is black lagoon. Tbh i dont know if its even romance but its so interesting and presented in a awesome that i dont have words to describe. its so subtle but you can guess that there is something.

Jul 25, 2019 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Oh hell yeah. I love a good romance story but I prefer them as a secondary category anyways.
Jul 25, 2019 7:22 PM

Aug 2016
I don't value them in a sense that having romantic elements in a non romance anime isn't going to be the difference maker in scores. Do i tend to think the romances as subplots are superior than ones that have romance as essential to the story? Yes. They also generally are less annoying. Less unnecessary melodrama, less inability to communicate each other their thoughts, and focused on other things that are more important. That said, there aren't enough realistic romance. Need more
Jul 26, 2019 12:44 AM

Jan 2018
subtle hints of romance is enough for me in shows that are not based around romance
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 26, 2019 12:53 AM

Aug 2018
What is "realistic" romance?.. There are so many concepts of romance and relationships, people have all kinds of them, I doubt there probably is one "romance" that hasn't already been tried by someone..
Jul 26, 2019 12:54 AM

Jul 2014
zieek said:
I think romance isn't necessary for a series, but it does add to the story the series is telling. I like complicated, controversial and heart breaking love.

White album 2
Kuzu no Honkai
Domestic na Kanojo

Romance in comedy is at times entertaining, but it is by no means interesting.

Dude....... you should watch Nana.
Jul 26, 2019 8:18 AM

Feb 2010
As others pointed out 'realism' and what people mean by it is often unclear so I can't really comment on that. But I do like it when a story has actual romance even when it's not the main focus. But for me the term romance only really begins to apply when there's more than just crushes, awkward scenes and a bit of fawing over someone. So most stuff that gives anime a raomcne tag doesn't even register for me. It has to be an actual romantic relationship like in Uchuu no Stellvia or Zegapain for me to count it, and that's very rare outside of actual romance anime.

Valeris said:
Romance in anime is about one thing, and I think this is most definite a taste that not everyone has - innocence. Purity. It's about romance as an idea, rather than romance as the realistic representation of what a relationship is like or about. Because anime shouldn't strive to be real. It should strive to be ideal.

Don't tell anime what it should or shouldn't do. Prescriptive restrictions like that are the archenemy of every form of artistic expression. It's never a good idea.

I love the pure and innocent and idealized take on romance that many anime have, I much prefer it over the casual approach western shows tend to have, but saying it should only be like that feels arrogant to me. Not to mention that I'd miss some of my favorite romance anime, like Nana, if all anime romance was just of the one type.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 26, 2019 9:24 AM

Jan 2018
If it has a conclusive vanilla ending then it's fun time for me. I don't like bad side of romance with a bad ending because you can just experience it firsthand in real life.
Jul 26, 2019 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Of course I do. My problem with all the romances I've seen in anime, including Spice and Wolf (to a degree), is that the couples do not have common interests.
In real life, romances form because two people start off by having common interests; whether that be video games, anime, whatever.
If you don't have any common interests with your spouse to talk about, then all there is is awkward silence.
Anime sneakily avoid this dilemma, by having the characters be distracted by the plot; for example, Kaguya-Sama Love is War, the main characters don't have any awkward silences where they have nothing to talk about, because they're so busy playing Death Note against each other.
Jul 26, 2019 11:45 AM

Jul 2015
Generally yes, it helps flesh out the characters and shows that have interests and life beyond the main plot
Jul 26, 2019 10:01 PM

Sep 2018
NOPE, it's fiction! so being realistic is not important, weird or over the top is fine because it's fiction!
Jul 27, 2019 4:51 PM

Jun 2011
My own IRL romance would be considered unrealistic by most everyone. So, unrealistic romance doesn't bug me as much as others.

I fell in love at first sight, had the guy move in on the first day with my family. And he stayed in my room and I was still in high school. My relationship was based on nothing. ^^; Looks I guess. It wasn't the most healthy at first either.... And that is honestly how most relationships are. Mine has been going 10 years so, it worked out.

Unrealistic romance is likely more real to me than what people think is realistic.

I want romance to be interesting more than realistic.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 27, 2019 10:13 PM

Feb 2016
i need romance in everything so yes.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 28, 2019 12:48 AM

Dec 2015
I like realistic romance in non-romance anime. Cause it is one of the best way to experience romance in anime since most dedicated romance-anime are very bad in the romance department. ;)

For me Baccano is better than most romance anime alraeady - just because Ladd Russo has a fiancee and the little bit of romance between them I liked more than some crappy shoujo romance anime that run for 1-3 cour without the main chars even kissing. :D

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

12 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
10 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
17 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.