Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think about the banned episodes of Pokémon?

Jul 21, 7:40 AM
Hi, guys.

Lately, I've been watching again, Pokémon. That's because when I first saw it, I never got to see all the episodes.

But, something caught my attention by watching them, which were the reasons why they led to the banning of some episodes.

What do you think about the reasons for the banishment of the following episodes:

Episode Number 019: Tentacool and Tentacruel

Banned in the United States because it strongly resembles the attacks of September 11

Episode Number 035: The Legend of Dratini

In the US, "The Legend of Dratini," the use of firearms was considered abusive and treated irresponsibly and there is also a scene in which Meowth appears with a mustache equal to that of Adolf Hitler. It was also in this episode that Ash captured 30 Tauros, because of this banishment many viewers did not know why Ash has the Tauros.

Episode Number 038: The Electric Soldier Porygon (the only one I knew had been banned, before I knew of the others). - And I even understand why he was banned.

To make the explosion together with Thunder Shock, an effect was used several times in which the screen blinked red and blue at a frequency of 12 Hz for 4 seconds. Several viewers went awry, had blurred vision, headaches, dizziness and nausea. And hundreds of people (about 375 boys and 310 girls) had epileptic seizures.

Episode Number 039: Holiday Hi-Jynx

He spent some time banished because it appeared the Jynx pokémon in its original appearance - with dark skin, exaggerated lips and light hair - which was considered a racist image. After that, Jynx has been redesigned and now appears purple-skinned.

Jul 21, 8:02 AM

The only one that's worthy of the ban is the Porygon episode because it fucking gave kids seizures.

Oh damn... so that's why the Tentacruel episode got banned? I thought it was because of James' fake boobs lmao.

Jul 21, 8:14 AM
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
The only one that's worthy of the ban is the Porygon episode because it fucking gave kids seizures.

Oh damn... so that's why the Tentacruel episode got banned? I thought it was because of James' fake boobs lmao.

This was also one of the reasons, from what I've been seeing ...

Jul 21, 8:18 AM

Tohsaka_Rukia said:

You're thinking of the episode Beauty and the Beach, which iirc, was released in the states with that scene cut.
OT: I've seen almost all the og banned episodes, another temporaraly banned episiode that was forgotten in that list was "Tower of Terror" due to the 9/11 attack. I actually quite liked the infamous Episode 38.
This is your story now.
This might be the last chance,
for all is fleeting;
'tis naught but a dream.
An unending one.

Jul 21, 8:28 AM
i watch pokemon so i have already relinquished my ability to think

Jul 21, 8:31 AM

Ehh, were these episodes actually banned or elected they merely to not air them?

There's a big difference between the F.C.C.-fags cracking down on them and not allowing them and their simply deciding of their own volition that it goes against their commercial interests to air them.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Jul 21, 8:41 AM

Fleeting_Dream said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

You're thinking of the episode Beauty and the Beach, which iirc, was released in the states with that scene cut.
OT: I've seen almost all the og banned episodes, another temporaraly banned episiode that was forgotten in that list was "Tower of Terror" due to the 9/11 attack. I actually quite liked the infamous Episode 38.

Oh yeah I forgot sorry. It happened in the same island so I must have mistaken it for a single episode.

Jul 21, 8:45 AM

They should release the Porygon episode, those who get seizures should get over it. /s

Jul 21, 8:45 AM

I think they're all just pretty average episodes of the show. The Porygon one was a little irresponsible, but I remember really liking the others.

Jul 21, 8:54 AM
They ain't that special really. Doesn't matter if they were cut or not, well maybe the Dratini one shouldn't have been, cause Dragonite is my fave poke. They may have given them pistol fingers instead of banning the episode, smt 4kids did with Yugioh for example.

Jul 21, 8:59 AM

IDK They are OK like they are nothing special I enjoy them somewhat I suppose.

X s t a s y

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”
―Cheshire Cat

Jul 21, 9:57 AM

bitchassdarius said:
i watch pokemon so i have already relinquished my ability to think

Lmao this one is a pretty straightforward answer.

Jul 21, 11:19 AM

Boho USA cant show naked and boobs but people cuting there heads of or go out in shooting spree is never a problem. Will never understand that bullshit. But for the Censor so no problem there, no episodes were banned or censored in my country.

Censored scene from digimon were no problem here either.

Even in sailor moon the dubbed the in one scene we translated to swedish "Din lilla slyna = You little bitch/whore"
Modified by Sweanime, Jul 21, 11:24 AM

Jul 21, 11:42 AM

Will be a long post as I have pretty strong feelings on this, because sometime in the summer of 2014 I rewatched Pokemon through the Orange Islands arc for the first time since childhood and although I had heard a few words about this here and there before, this was the first time I read about the controversies more in-depth such as original planned airing schedule, how it led to continuity errors later in the series (such as with Ash/Satoshi suddenly having a whole herd of Tauros later in the series which he caught in the Safari Zone in the Dratini episode; with the episode removed it's like they came out of nowhere), and all the specific reasons behind banning.

I didn't want to miss a single episode in my watch-through, so I watched them as follows:

1) Tentacool and Tentacruel - Watched in English dubbed IIRC since it was dubbed but later pulled before airing (or maybe only aired once until later years? A bit mixed on the details here)

2) The Legend of Dratini - Watched in Japanese with English subbed. Was never dubbed. Never aired in the U.S. Don't think it aired anywhere outside of Japan or was dubbed into any other language either.

3) The Electric Soldier Porygon - Watched in Japanese with English subbed. Was never aired outside Japan or dubbed in English or any other language. After that initial debut (in 1997), I don't believe it's aired a single other time on even Japanese TV.

4) Holiday Hi-Jynx - Watched in English dubbed, but be mindful of the watch order on this one as it's a Christmas special whose planned broadcast order was later changed when Pokemon was taken off the air in Japan for weeks after the Porygon debacle.

PLUS, Beauty and the Beach!

5) Beauty and the Beach. This was English dubbed and aired a few times in the U.S. on Kids' WB (believe it was later mostly pulled and kept out of rotation) with the most inflammatory scene out, but also with aggressively censored dub script as per usual. So I watched it in the original Japanese to keep the James' breast implant scene in and some of the dialogue around Misty/Kasumi in tact (such as with the old man ogling her).

Every reason is farcical except the Porygon one.

Tentacool was taken down in the U.S. because scenes of buildings being destroyed. So instead of airing the episode a few times and probably drawing no attention, they proceed to air every other episode with the intro unchanged. The intro which features the so-called offending scenes in question from this very episode of Tentacruel smashing into skyscrapers. The height of nonsense. Classic example of just doing something to do something even if it so obviously doesn't make any sense or solve anything.

Dratini was taken down mainly because of the realistic use of firearms. The Meowth dressing as Hitler rumor isn't true. He dresses in a type of German folk dress common in Bavaria and surrounding regions in southern Germany and Austria and has a mustache that might remind Western viewers of that because of association, but he's actually supposed to be playing a traditional German detective role. Either way, it's foolish. There was a change in tone in this episode compared to others in that threats of violence were portrayed more realistically than most with the revolver pointed at Ash/Satoshi's head point blank, but it isn't logically any worse than Team Rocket shooting bazookas and explosions happening every episode. Common sense dictates those would regularly maim and kill people and the fact that it's portrayed more cartoonishly is, if anything, worse. Not surprised the more visceral image would evoke this response to censor, but braindead unthinking emotional overreaction as per the usual.

Another reason to watch is that in U.S. broadcast order, it appears Ash/Satoshi's crew is traveling to the Safari Zone and on the edge of it for several episodes. This is the only episode where they're actually in it. So you'd see them trying to get to Safari Zone and then being past it with it skipped over with no context without this.

Electric Soldier Porygon - This is the only one that makes sense to take down since it posed a serious health hazard. No TV program for whatever reason should pose direct bodily harm to viewers, be they children or adults. Some probably had pre-existing medical conditions (predilection to epilepsy), many were watching TV in an unsafe manner for their eyes so close to the screen in pitch black room, and some cases were induced by word of mouth and mass hysteria in typical dumb human fashion, but it still isn't worth the risk to air on TV. This episode single-handedly not only caused Pokemon to almost be canceled, but the controversy almost eclipsed and threatened the anime industry as a whole. No corporate or governmental body in Japan wants the risk to their entertainment brand and pop culture exports abroad, so there's no real chance this ever airs again in original form in Japan or anywhere else.

It should remain available to watch online. Watch it online along with the other banned episodes in Japanese with English subs. Watch in a decently-lit room to be cautious. The scene in question is when Pikachu blows up the missiles in cyberspace.

Holiday Hi-Jynx - Black activist organizations and figures in the U.S. said it resembled blackface, but the connection was quite unintentional. There are a lot of mythological figures that resemble this in countries with no black population to speak of. Probably has more to do with Zwarte Piet (Saint Nicholas' assistant in Dutch folklore and still an icon in the Netherlands today). There's been an ongoing controversy with black activists in Europe railing against Zwarte Piet for a while. Any humanoid Pokemon is going to run the risk of creating these associations in people's minds intentional or not and stir up controversy unless they're white, of course, like Mr. Mime. It's a shame because they really shouldn't be humored or catered to. Skin should have been kept original black on subsequent airings and future appearance on trading cards and other Pokemon merchandise. I hate seeing ground being given to social pressure groups like this. Either way, with Jynx's skin as black or purple, it's still an interesting Pokemon as a combination of Ice and Psychic types. I think having a few humanoid Pokemon has always been a cool look. Glad it wasn't airbrushed from history like Porygon.

Beauty and the Beach - Considering North American specifically and general Western cultural sensitivities to sexual power dynamics and the sexualization of those under a fairly arbitrary and ever-changing and relative number, it isn't any shock. This is the country where Adrian Lyne's masterful remake of Nabokov's Lolita adaptation (1997) had a difficult time even being brought to the U.S. for theatrical distribution and eventually debuted on Showtime. Watch it in Japanese and don't have the content watered down!

How I feel about them for watch value:

1) Tentacool and Tentacruel - Pokemon's Godzilla episode. Great Kaiju episode and the possessing and speaking through Meowth lends to one of the creepier moments in early Indigo League. Fun and different to see an urban landscape trashed.

2) Dratini - Very fun episode. Real shame this one got nixed. One of the best of the first season, in my view. Safari Zone is unique (even down to the green-colored Pokeballs), features a new Pokemon capture with Tauros, and the ending with the game warden's reunion with Dratini no joke made me tear up. There is something singular and mystical about dragon Pokemon and seeing a Dratini cry and shimmering, floating through the air. Aesthetically awesome episode.

3) Porygon - Comes from a time in the 90s when civilian ownership of PCs and home PC usage was just catching on with Windows 95 so a lot of plots involving computers and the internet veer more into soft sci-fi/science fantasy. This is one of them, so it's great as a time capsule from that period but also just one of the more frantic action-packed episode. Feels like a runaway train episode in cyberspace. Climax is legendary. Don't miss. Just be safe.

4) Jynx - I like Jynx the Pokemon but this episode is just so-so. Almost every series has a Christmas special episode and most end up feeling more like each other than being in line with the series they hail from. Feels like a pretty generic Christmas episode, but did like the polar scenery and introducing Jynx and Lapras. Love the Lapras design.

5) Beauty and the Beach - A lot of anime are known for having "beach" episodes, but at the time I was rewatching this I wasn't into anime as a whole yet so didn't know about this phenomenon. I like when they're in a different setting outside of the woods like, in this case, a seaside resort. One of the best Slice of Life early Pokemon episodes, which they didn't do very often. Like how the conflict is a beauty pageant and not a Pokemon battle for a change. For those decrying Misty/Kasumi fan service, she was about 10 years-old and so were most of us (or younger!) when we watched this. At that age, you think other 10 year-olds are hot. Now, don't focus on the age or add a few years and it's still fine. Harmless and fun.
Modified by WatchTillTandava, Jul 21, 11:51 AM

Jul 21, 11:43 AM

Sweanime said:
Boho USA cant show naked and boobs but people cuting there heads of or go out in shooting spree is never a problem. Will never understand that bullshit.

Pokemon used to air on 4Kids IIRC, which was a channel meant for little children. They probably wouldn't show shooting sprees or hardcore violence on 4Kids either...

What's the difference?

Jul 21, 11:46 AM
There's actually a recent episode that's been banned from airing-- and it's actually from this current Sun and Moon season.
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/sun_moon/sm064.html

...I think we all know why that episode never aired in the US.

Jul 21, 1:27 PM
BlakexEkalb said:
They should release the Porygon episode, those who get seizures should get over it. /s

Please tell me you're being ironic.

Jul 21, 3:45 PM

Fario-P said:
There's actually a recent episode that's been banned from airing-- and it's actually from this current Sun and Moon season.

Too many snowflakes in today's world. There is a difference between being offended by everything and being offended at things that are deliberately trying to offend people.

Jul 21, 4:40 PM

that porygon scene is chungo, its definitely better to ban that than not lmao, as much as it sucks that porygon became outlawed after that :(

the only other one ive seen is the legend of dratini and its actually a great episode, i feel like back in the day i wouldnt have thought twice about that one so its probably not a necessary ban but i get it

Jul 21, 4:55 PM

BlakexEkalb said:

I agree. People who get seizures ruin the enjoyment for the majority. Fuck em.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jul 22, 6:20 PM
Ghost in the API

The Porygon episode was a mistake, but all the other ones are okay as fas as I'm concerned.

Jul 22, 6:27 PM

I think all the bans aside from the one that caused seizures were pretty dumb.

Jul 22, 7:28 PM

BatoKusanagi said:
The Porygon episode was a mistake, but all the other ones are okay as fas as I'm concerned.

The Porygon episode will always remain available in some form online, so as long as it remains at that for enthusiasts who want to seek it out (in the original Japanese), it's fine. It'll almost certainly never receive a TV re-airing.

Jul 22, 7:35 PM

If I remember right they did air the Tentacool episode once. But the ban on that one has since been lifted although it was banned a second time in 2005 for references to flooding around Hurricane Katrina.

For episode 35, I mean lets be frank 4kids sucking when it comes to censors at the cost of continuity is nothing to be surprised about.

As stated porygon is obvious.

For the Jynx episode I feel like they could have swapped in the new design and un-banned the episode. Again it's 4kids they've actively changed things in episodes to have them fit their standards including redesigning or removing objects entirely, reskinning a Pokemon's colors should have been easy.

Jul 22, 7:47 PM

Tentacool and Tentacruel was not banned in Brazil from what i recall. i didnt think too much of it, but i dont think it reminded me of such an attack (maybe watching again will change my mind)

Jul 22, 7:52 PM
Ghost in the API

WatchTillTandava said:
The Porygon episode will always remain available in some form online, so as long as it remains at that for enthusiasts who want to seek it out (in the original Japanese), it's fine. It'll almost certainly never receive a TV re-airing.

If they slow down the flashes and darken some things here and there, it could maybe be re-released, but man, even if you're not prone to seizures, that episode is so uncomfortable to watch.

Jul 22, 7:59 PM

Gonna have to hard disagree on the Porygon ban in a way. Yeah, the episode was bad and I can understand them pulling it from the air because of the strobing effect. But that effect was caused by Pikachu's thunder attack, the flashing lights in the colors of Porygon were just incidental.
Pulling the episode was fine, but as a result of that occasion Porygon has never again appeared in Pokemon animated content.
What the heck?

I didn't know the other episodes were banned when I watched them. Yeah the Dratini one has the firearms and the weird allusion to poaching that they bring up, but a giant rampaging tentacruel flooding and destroying a city does not refer my mind to the september 11 attacks, and the episode was on the air way before they happened.

Jul 22, 8:53 PM

Fario-P said:

To be clear, this episode wasn't banned from airing, they decided not to air it themselves.

Enjoy your anime!