Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 21, 12:52 AM

I was really hyped about this so It was quite disappointing for me. There's plenty of bad things about this particular adaptation, for starters Shun is a she now, wtf!?

Animation:
The (shitty) animation look and quality is somewhere in between Dead or Alive 6 and Jimmy Neutron, definitely not a release of almost 2020. The designs are not bad by themselves but are nothing special, they do all look younger and weaker compared with their rougher original versions. Almost no blood same sh*t as with DBS.

Story:
New third party of private army guys that carry operations/kidnappings unrestricted on many countries, to be honest it looks like they threw in some Jojo's Stroheim wannabe to the mix. It doesn't add anything and makes everything even more nonsensical with the tournament being held in secret (except all the saints knew of it) and the not so easy fights are all over in a flash.

Audio:
I noted that the CCs of the english audio have nothing to do with the jp audio (there is no true translation, so sorry for the folks that don't understand japanese). As a side note Hirano Aya not reprising her role as Athena (from Lost Canvas) is also a big minus.

Misc:
Only six episodes released and ending in not even a cliffhanger but more like plothanger, wtf!

I know that I'm leaving many things out but I was mad with this and wanted to just put it out, anyway:

what are the things that you guys didn't like?
Modified by Seiign, Jul 21, 12:56 AM

Jul 21, 2:20 AM

"they do all look younger and weaker compared with their rougher original versions."
Yes, they finally look their age ! ^^ (If by "rougher original veesions", you mean the super thin and elongated Araki's redesigns, they were never the original form of the characters)
As for the blood, what could we expect? There could be some slightly bloody bruises, had it been made for jap.childrenTV. But this is clearly destined to US children (plus some from other western countries, and China), where everything must be kept "proper".

The new antagonist, by taking over Saga's ambition, looks like a rather bad idea.

"Reboot"? It restarts nothing, the original manga still there, and so is the first 1986 adaptation.

I don't think Hirano was the Saori's stand-in, she voiced Sacha from Lost Canvas, that's all.

Jul 21, 4:47 AM

1. Shun is a girl now... What bothers me is not that one of the characters was turned into a woman, but that the one character they chose to have his gender changed was specifically the one character who is not stereotipically "manly". Like, just because he was a "feminine" guy he had to be turned into a girl? I don't like this. So yeah, what I dislike about this adaptation is their choice of character to turn into a girl. If they had chosen any of the others it'd be awesome imo.

2. The animation. The character designs are pretty cute, I like them, but the animation is amazing if you pretend it was released in 2005. But it wasn't. So it's awful.

3. The comedy is bad, it gave me second hand embarrassment many times.

4. I didn't like the story. It made me bored. I mean, I recognize I'm not the target audience (I'm a person in their twenties, not a young teen) but I do enjoy kids anime... this one is not one I enjoyed though, it really didn't entertain me.

5. The ending theme is bad.

6. This is now a personal thing as a brazilian viewer. Since there wasn't japanese dub in the options when I watched I chose to watch with the brazilian dub instead of the american dub bc I don't usually like anime dubbed in english. All the voices in the brazilian dub were the same used in the original series, which made it really weird. Like, the characters look much younger but they kept the same voices as before and some of them simply didn't suit the new character designs. Hyoga's voice in particular bothered me a lot. The voice actor is a good one, it just didn't suit the character this time.

I guess this is all that bothered me... Let's see what the next 6 episodes will bring.

Jul 21, 12:59 PM

Rei366 said:
"they do all look younger and weaker compared with their rougher original versions."
Yes, they finally look their age ! ^^ (If by "rougher original veesions", you mean the super thin and elongated Araki's redesigns, they were never the original form of the characters)
As for the blood, what could we expect? There could be some slightly bloody bruises, had it been made for jap.childrenTV. But this is clearly destined to US children (plus some from other western countries, and China), where everything must be kept "proper".

The new antagonist, by taking over Saga's ambition, looks like a rather bad idea.

"Reboot"? It restarts nothing, the original manga still there, and so is the first 1986 adaptation.

I don't think Hirano was the Saori's stand-in, she voiced Sacha from Lost Canvas, that's all.

Fine, call it new adaptation instead of reboot if you prefer. Point taken on the appearance resembling more their age... in the manga, in this adaptation Seiya is 18* not 13.

The blood I get it why the do it as with as I implied when I compared it with DBS, that doesn't mean i have to like it though. It just makes for lackluster fights when they are virtually unscathed without even a dent on the armor after being punch to death/almost death (I'm looking at you Shiryu vs Seiya).

*Refer to ep. 2

raifuresu said:
1. Shun is a girl now... What bothers me is not that one of the characters was turned into a woman, but that the one character they chose to have his gender changed was specifically the one character who is not stereotipically "manly". Like, just because he was a "feminine" guy he had to be turned into a girl? I don't like this. So yeah, what I dislike about this adaptation is their choice of character to turn into a girl. If they had chosen any of the others it'd be awesome imo.

2. The animation. The character designs are pretty cute, I like them, but the animation is amazing if you pretend it was released in 2005. But it wasn't. So it's awful.

3. The comedy is bad, it gave me second hand embarrassment many times.

4. I didn't like the story. It made me bored. I mean, I recognize I'm not the target audience (I'm a person in their twenties, not a young teen) but I do enjoy kids anime... this one is not one I enjoyed though, it really didn't entertain me.

5. The ending theme is bad.

6. This is now a personal thing as a brazilian viewer. Since there wasn't japanese dub in the options when I watched I chose to watch with the brazilian dub instead of the american dub bc I don't usually like anime dubbed in english. All the voices in the brazilian dub were the same used in the original series, which made it really weird. Like, the characters look much younger but they kept the same voices as before and some of them simply didn't suit the new character designs. Hyoga's voice in particular bothered me a lot. The voice actor is a good one, it just didn't suit the character this time.

I guess this is all that bothered me... Let's see what the next 6 episodes will bring.

I could agree on a female saint, provided she used mask as all female saints used to do (btw Shaina getting her face seen by Seiya was one of the few romantic hints the series had, a moot point now that the "mask law" appears to be non existent).

Jul 22, 1:15 AM
-The whole thing with the military messed the whole story up.

-Vander being a cheap rip-off of the Pope/Evil Saga by having the same motive as him.Speaking of which,if they reach adapting the ''12 Zodiac Temples'' arc then what kind of motive will they give to the Pope/Evil Saga?Or will they just turn him into another ''Look at me I'm so evil because of lolz'' generic villain?

-That whole stupidity of Athena being reincarnated with a prophecy that she will lead to humanity's downfall and the fact that because of that prophecy everyone at Sanctuary wants her dead.Geez,thanks for that shit the number of Silver Saints and Gold Saints who in the original were deceived by the Pope to think that Saori is a fake Athena are now being turn into straight forward traitors.I hate this shit because its ruins the complexity of the ''Sanctuary'' saga in which the Gold Saints were divided into three categories:actual traitors who knew the truth but still choose to follow the Pope,Saints who were being deceived by the Pope and Saints who knew the truth and decided to continue following Athena.

-The fact that they ruined the iconic ''Seiya vs Shiryu'' fight by making it terribly rushed.Also the scene in which Seiya revives Shiryu's heart with a second punch just didn't have the same emotional impact that the original one had.

-The lack of blood and not being as violent as the original.

-The comedy really sucked

Jul 23, 4:59 PM

They look younger? Nishi Terumi's designs are very faithful to the Seiya veterans such as Araki and Nishino. The CGi just makes it cuter.

Um...what I hate? I wouldn't say "Hate", I'm not even mad.

I'm still a bit annoyed with the name changes. Hyouga and Ikki are named after Kings and emperors, which is kinda cool. But Shun is "Shawn" but Shawn is a girl? o-O Sienna and Shawn are closer to their original counterparts and are easier to remember. Nero gives off the impression that Ikki is absolute evil, but it does mean "black" (or dark) so that's that connection to the Saints. Long ("Dragon") is just stereotypical ;)

The worse name change is probably Tatsumi. I can't remember it at all.

My man Jabu is called 'Jab" even though he's a kicker.

The lightning of the special attacks are a bit pale.

"Lushan Shenlong Ba!" The translation is the same (RozanShoryuha/flying dragon wave of Rozan) but I'm working on it.

Hyouga turning into that one lone-wolf sharp-tongued "Oh great.." nerd stereotype.

Geki fight. Come on.

The Saints/Knights seem weake (or maybe more human?)r as they are threatened by conventional weapons.