Forum Settings
Forums

Inconsistency in Manga/LN days counter!

New
Jul 20, 2019 6:06 PM
Aug 2014
A quick summary of the manga/LN days counter summary. (This post is a bit messy, so bear with me)

1 chapter <--> 0.00556 days = 8.0064 minutes
1 volume <--> 0.05 days = 72 minutes

Only the higher count gets included to the day timer. If there are 9 or more chapters per volume, the chapter count is taken into account, otherwise volume count. With that established, some inconsistencies have been noticed. Anime+ day count aligns with MAL's day count so they display the correct information.

I have noticed that the chapter per volume count does not always work. For example, Taiyou no Ie has 53 chapters and 13 volumes. Since 53/13 < 9, the volume count should be added into the day count. But it seems as if the chapter count is prioritized here.

Ani+ shows that only 424 minutes are added to the day count (Taiyou no Ie), which is roughly equal to 8.0064*53. This means that despite the volume count being higher, the chapter count is added to the day count instead. Just to clarify, it is possible to assume that Ani+ and MAL use the same regulations for their day counter as the values always align neatly.

This was an example of a finished manga, so I was wondering if it applied to ongoing works as well. It seems like it does. Rokujouma no Shinryakusha (Novel) has a spread of (211/30) for (Chapter/volume) count. Just to confirm, 9 > 211/30 (almost) = 7. The total amount of minutes spent there according to Ani+ is 1688 minutes. However, 1688 minutes = 8.0064*211. This means that once again, the chapter count is prioritized for this work, despite the fact that the volume count should provide more days to the counter.

Any ideas of what is going on? I do have more examples of entries that cause the same issue, like Suzumiya Haruhi series. Thanks for any response!

EDIT: For convenience sakes, The days counter is located here for my profile. Taiyou no Ie is under my 7/10 column and Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? is under my 10/10 column. Suzumiya Haruhi Series is currently unrated.
GiantQAACSleierJul 20, 2019 6:12 PM
Jul 20, 2019 6:58 PM
Aug 2014
Cladocera said:
According to your profile stats, you have read:
- 5412 chapters ~ 30.1 days
- 432 volumes ~ 21.6 days
So your days on profile is 30.1, this is correct.

A quick look shows that A+ time spent only takes chapter count into account (number of chapter x 8 mins).

Ah, so MAL always ignores volume count. Interesting.
Jul 20, 2019 7:06 PM
Aug 2014
Cladocera said:
-Alians- said:
Ah, so MAL always ignores volume count. Interesting.
Umn no, it's A+ that ignores volume count.

But MAL uses same numbers, I think.
Jul 20, 2019 7:29 PM
Aug 2014
Cladocera said:
-Alians- said:
But MAL uses same numbers, I think.
I thought my first post already made it clear that it's not the case.

Alright, i went back and tried some stuff. Ani+ has 30.07 days registered. MAL has 30.1 days which is most likely rounded up from 30.07. This means that MAL and Ani+ have to use the same system or they could not have the same value, or roughly the same value. Now, I attempted one more thing. I added 90-ish volumes to Suzumiya Haruhi to see if my day counter changed. No effect on MAL or Ani+ from the change.

Conclusion:

MAL/Ani+ do not factor volume count into the day count, which I realized from your deduction. In other worfs, MAL days is counted according to:

D(c) = 0.00556c

EDIT: Will try to make my Volume/chapter > 9 just to be sure. 5AM here so I'll report back later if requested.

It seems at least before the report that volume count is irrelevant.

EDIT 2:

You've read 17123 chapters and have 148.4 days. And it seems like 148.4/17123 days/chapters = 0.00556

In other words, your day count is also not impacted whatsoever by volume count. It seems like MAL only cares about chapter count.
GiantQAACSleierJul 20, 2019 7:35 PM
Jul 21, 2019 2:21 AM
Aug 2014
Cladocera said:
-Alians- said:
Alright, i went back and tried some stuff. Ani+ has 30.07 days registered. MAL has 30.1 days which is most likely rounded up from 30.07. This means that MAL and Ani+ have to use the same system or they could not have the same value, or roughly the same value. Now, I attempted one more thing. I added 90-ish volumes to Suzumiya Haruhi to see if my day counter changed. No effect on MAL or Ani+ from the change.

Conclusion:

MAL/Ani+ do not factor volume count into the day count, which I realized from your deduction. In other worfs, MAL days is counted according to:

D(c) = 0.00556c

EDIT: Will try to make my Volume/chapter > 9 just to be sure. 5AM here so I'll report back later if requested.

It seems at least before the report that volume count is irrelevant.

EDIT 2:

You've read 17123 chapters and have 148.4 days. And it seems like 148.4/17123 days/chapters = 0.00556

In other words, your day count is also not impacted whatsoever by volume count. It seems like MAL only cares about chapter count.
No, putting the time it takes for your profile stats to update aside, your volume count is 524 ~ 26.2 days, still smaller than time spent calculated from chapter count (30.1). So even after the stats are updated it will still show 30.1. It will only change if you add a lot more to volume count so that time by volumes is larger than time by chapters.
About the approximately equal 'days' spent on MAL and A+, it's just a coincidence (A+ only counts chapters, and MAL shows your time by chapters because it happens to be bigger than time by volumes in your case) or A+ simply take the calculated 'days' from MAL (A+ displays 2 digits while MAL only display 1). Most likely the former though.

EDIT: 148.4/17123 ≈ 0.00866, not 0.00556
My days is 148.4 because I have re-read a few things, while the 'days' does take re-read time into account, the chapter and volume count on profile does not. For it to match, one must calculate directly from my list, not from my profile chapter and volume count.

I understand now. That coincidence was going on for three months so that is a certain surprise. Thanks for the help and clearing my confusion. A bit disappointed that I can't use Ani+ to correctly calculate my stats but whatever I guess. As MAL does this C/V < 9 check separately for every entry, I am surprised that my, and many others, days counter isn't a lot higher than D/C = 0.00556

GiantQAACSleierJul 21, 2019 2:49 AM

More topics from this board

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 8 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
9 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

125 by traed »»
11 hours ago

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.