Forum Settings
Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Oct 13, 2022 11:27 PM
Jul 2022
shinaki films hits hard
Oct 23, 2022 3:56 AM
Oct 2022
mf just made japan be floodin'
Oct 29, 2022 12:13 PM
Mar 2022
what can I say...Its makoto shinkai.. just go for it and delve into the world of anime like never before
Nov 12, 2022 3:21 PM
May 2017
I loved it! the movie is amazing, hated how the guy ignored the medium that told him at the start the destiny of the weather girl and how he told her that he wanted the sun, gladly he was able to rescue her from the sky <3
Dec 14, 2022 10:30 PM
Feb 2020
smh ong ong poggers
Dec 15, 2022 2:28 AM
Aug 2022
Great, As expected of Makato Shinkai
Dec 29, 2022 1:41 AM
Jan 2021
It was very easy to watch but not in the way One punch or Demon slayer is but it was like someone was reading me a story
Jan 12, 2023 8:21 PM
Dec 2022
Still also heartbroken
Jan 14, 2023 10:18 PM
Jan 2021
Goated Super Goated

Feb 3, 2023 3:17 PM
Nov 2022
Weather with You is an instant classic
Feb 14, 2023 5:56 AM
Feb 2023
This movie has some of the best scenes in an anime movie and the story overall was amazing.
Feb 14, 2023 11:25 PM

Nov 2016
a good movie for a "rainy" (ba dum tsk) day, watched it since most say its somewhat connected to kimi no na wa. while it didnt hit me as hard as that, this was still a good watch as a standalone
also didnt realize it was taki til everyone here said it was, lol yeah im capt oblivious
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Feb 24, 2023 7:09 PM

Jan 2011
i was loving the movie untill its final 30 minutes, i think it stumble a bit during its final act
8/10
Mar 4, 2023 7:42 AM
Dec 2021
what an amazzing movie
Mar 19, 2023 12:23 PM
Nov 2017
Still delivering heartbeat skipping romance. Makoto-san is a genius
Mar 25, 2023 4:55 PM
Dec 2022
It was a great movie. The music really added to it and pairing it with the visuals really put it over the top. 
Apr 14, 2023 9:26 PM
Jul 2021
amazing movie. i love romance anime and especially when the movie shows beautiful scenery.
Apr 18, 2023 4:46 AM
May 2022
Really liked the ending and the whole story to be honest
Apr 22, 2023 3:59 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just watched Suzume yesterday, and as usual, Makoto Shinkai left me wanting MORE. Already re-watched Your Name a couple times already, so how about we pay a visit to Weathering With You, a movie which I left with rather poor opinions. I remember thinking: "huh?? how does any of this work??" I was mainly perplexed at how easy it seemed for Hodoka to go up into the clouds and bring Hina back with him. But my expectations for something that fully made sense were misplaced. I didn't REALLY question the supernatural aspect in Your Name, and didn't in Suzume either. Maybe I should turn a BIT of my brain off and just let the emotions flow. And now on second viewing, knowing what to expect, it was.... quite magical, actually. I stated in my post in the Suzume discussion thread that I liked it more than Weathering With You. But now, I have to reconsider that. I think it might just be the other way around. I really enjoyed this.

I think the most important discussion to be had with Shinkai's films are the romance, because that's like the main genre they pretty much all fall into after all. Your Name, as great as the emotional highs were, was lacking in the well-developed-romance department (or maybe it's time to revisit Your Name again as well, with an even more open mind). I for one realized that I didn't 100% buy that they had fallen for each other. Maybe I missed some subtle hints to how their love had blossomed, hidden amongst the time in which they had switched bodies. Hmm, spoiler alert? Nah, if you're one of the few people here reading this, you've seen Your Name already. Plus I think that aspect is in the trailers and is a main plot point so, yeah. Anyway, I'm not going to mention the romance in Shikai's other works, because I haven't seen all of them, and if I did, it's been quite a while since then, speaking specifically about 5cm per second and Garden of Words (the milf and feet one LOL). I will mention Suzume's romance aspect, since I saw it yesterday after all. And for Suzume, the lack of development for their 'romance' isn't really an issue because it is not at the forefront this time. It's more about Suzume herself. Why she falls in love with the chair guy after like a day maybe is a bit of a stretch, but it isn't really dwelt upon THAT much so it's fine. It is odd how
But that's a topic for THAT movie. Let's get back to the romance in Weathering With You: it works. It makes sense, you buy it, you can understand and get behind it. They've spent enough time with each other, they've done things that would make them fall for each other. The believability of the romance is not an issue this time around. And because of that, everything comes together, is plausible, and makes sense. For the most part.

Briefly touching on Suzume again,
Hodoka was not fully aware of what would come next after he passed through the shrine. He knew that the never-ending rain would return, but did he anticipate Tokyo getting flooded? Maybe, but maybe not. At least it's something that could be dealt with, I'm sure everyone had evacuated safely as they saw the water levels rising. He does show some regret for what he has caused. But his love for Hina is greater than an un-flooded Tokyo! I remember actually cringing at the part where he's yelling and fighting everyone just to go and hopefully see and rescue Hina. I was like, calm down dude, it's just a girl. But this time around, I felt that emotion. Dude not only loves her, but feels responsible as well. He was the one who got her into continuously using her sunshine girl powers, and ended up making her into a sacrifice (was this inevitable though? Would she have remained on the ground if she hadn't used her powers/prayers so much? And also, could she have left her heavenly sanctuary in the clouds at any time, did she need Hodoka for that? Because it seems like she could have easily walked off that cloud and come back. Perhaps she willingly stayed for the well-being of Tokyo as a whole, but I can imagine it'd get kind of lonely up there. Maybe that's why she looked like she was in hibernation mode. Either way, I just want to understand the technicalities just a LITTLE bit, because sometimes it can really influence the story. So, COULD SHE HAVE left at any time, or what?). I felt his absolutely laser-focused drive, or rather, near-insanity as he goes to save the person who had become his everything. Nothing else mattered in the moment, he didn't even know what would happen when he walked through those pillars. All he knew was that was the way to get Hina back, and in typical over-the-top romantic fashion, he risks it all with the sliver of hope that he could bring Hina back. And that brings us back to the romance:

There are two instances in the film where the rain is addressed as "normal". The first time it is discussed how the amount of rain they are getting is only a lot depending on your perspective. The second time, we are straight up told that Tokyo used to be underwater, and now in a way it has returned to its "natural" state. The point of giving us this information is to tie it in with what's going on in Hodoka's head. It seems that he is using this fact to comfort himself, and maybe comfort Hina as well who might share the same guilt. He was going to say that it was alright for Tokyo to be submerged like a submarine, for that was it's natural state anyway. But then he says "No, WE did this" as the music starts playing. It makes them appear more selfish, but strengthens the power of their love as well. Because it just goes to show how much he was willing to sacrifice just to be with her again: the blue skies, not just for himself, but for everyone else too. Because SHE was HIS blue sky. It didn't matter what the natural state was, rain or shine, flood or no flood. The world is crazy, as he mutters to himself, so why not just f*ck it all just to be with your star-crossed- er, CLOUD-crossed lover? As they are falling through the sky, Hodoka tells Hina to pray for herself this time, and not for others, which she does. She's done enough for other people, so maybe it was time for her to stop being the sunshine girl for others, and to instead put some sunshine in her own life. We do see her praying again at the end there, but this time not for sunshine, but rather to say SORRY FOR NO-DIFFING YOU TOKYO THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR GIVING ME A HARD TIME- or something like that.

So yeah, I said to myself that I liked Suzume more than this, but after revisiting this movie, I think I like this more. I do NOT remember this having the emotional highs that it did. I must have been blind and deaf and utterly ignorant back then. Because THAT moment, was simply magical. I can only imagine what it would have been like in a theatre full of people who adore Shinkai's works. If by some supernatural chance this movie returns to theatres, I'd go see it in a heartbeat, just for moments like these, which you really can't put a number on:

Speaking of putting a number on it, what's my new rating for Weathering With You? It's a 7, but higher than the 7.5 I gave Suzume, maybe a 7.7, which is much higher than the 4 or 5 I had initially left it with. I thought it was a really flawed movie, and I do still think that there are a few things that make me scratch my head a little. But again, you can't really put numbers on moments where A GRAND ESCAPE starts playing. Maybe not as iconic as "Sparkle", but damn once that chorus hits, you are just sent to the ethereal plane. Shinkai's movies are like 10/10 visuals and music in a 5/10 story with 5/10 characters, but with 11/10 moments. I now want to re-watch Your Name for the 4th time, but I think my heart has had enough for one day.

7.7/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 26, 2023 9:18 PM

Dec 2016
Boring as all hell just like all the other movies.

Your Name, Weathering With You & Suzume no Tojimari were all crap.
May 1, 2023 7:43 PM
Jun 2015
Absolutely Beautiful 🥲 that’s all I have to say.

They both gave each a reason to live. And glad they found each other in the end, just like the ending of Kimi no Wa

Props to the animation and Radwimps for the amazing music!
May 6, 2023 5:48 AM
May 2022
Everything was good but It felt a little.. anticlimactic
8/10
Jun 8, 2023 1:34 AM
Jun 2023
awesome anime with unexpected twists but i wish i could see more beautiful ending
Jun 17, 2023 6:24 AM
Feb 2023
It's amazing .
The Visuals and RADWIMPS don't disappoint at all.
Jun 27, 2023 8:42 AM
Sep 2013
GOOD GOOD VERY GOOD
Jul 23, 2023 4:50 AM

Feb 2022
Another masterpiece by Makoto Shinkai ...... started a bit slow but the ending is perfect
Aug 18, 2023 7:41 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
In America hodoka kun will be full of holes from police guns and swat squad..the police would fire about 5 thousand bullets at hodoka.. And obviously people will demand that the government increase funding for bigger guns with dumdum bullets for the police..
That's why I stay with anime because it's a little different from real life and always wish the rain will come pouring down..

Aug 23, 2023 8:07 PM
Sep 2020
Moving and emotional with an ending that doesn't leave you hanging or wanting more.
Sep 25, 2023 9:55 PM
Sep 2023
Great film, got me a bit emotional at the end lol
Dec 30, 2023 4:02 AM
Nov 2023
omg i love this so muchhh

Dec 30, 2023 4:10 AM
Dec 2023
While i feel the story was good, the ending kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. If you've seen it then you might understand, RIP all those now homeless and jobless people. Thanks Taki :) all jokes aside, the story was sweet. A bit gritty for my tastes, I do prefer Your name over this but it all in all a fun flick to lay back and enjoy.
Jan 3, 2:15 PM
Aug 2022
One of the most visually appealing anime I have seen in many years. I wish that there was a higher demand for anime of the type.
Jan 18, 12:23 AM
Oct 2023
Animation , story, every thing was good. but i between movie i thought that i world go somewhere different way by saying that sky is actually water , they already shown fishes i thought they will be more of sea creature but my own fantasy was running high. still it was good story and emotional too .Loved it
Mar 9, 3:16 AM
Sep 2022
I watched it after Your Name and tbh I expected something different. Especially story, I think it would be better without police parts.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

19 by Atsunome »»
Mar 13, 2023 5:50 PM

» Did anyone spotted Yotsuha Miyamizu (Mitsuha's little sister)????

IvenDOCson - Jun 17, 2021

5 by Dutch_Chief »»
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.