Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Gigguk (Famous Anime Reviewer) just made a phenomenal video review for the whole animated series thus far

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 17, 2019 3:56 PM

Jul 2012
I think it nails most of the praise and criticism the series have received, so I thought it would be nice to share it and see what the myanimelist userbase thinks of it.

Since he doesn't make written reviews on the site and prefer to make videos, it would be a shame that such a quality write up like this go unnoticed by the community in here (albeit I bet there are a lot of fans of his in here since he is quite a bit famous overall).

*It also made me check out the guidelines to see if it wasn't or not against the rules to make a topic regarding it, so yeah, as long as it encourages discussion regarding the series, this is clean (so please, if you feel like it, leave your own opinion once you finish the video on what you do or do not agree regarding the whole anime adaptation thus far and why, if you may)*

As for my own take, I think the shallowness of the initial depth of the show mentioned, as a whole, is justified by its progressively revealing nature, and, as a prologue to something much bigger like what it escalated to be in this season and above, I think it is actually too harshly criticized for taking its time to be formed as a base for bigger elements. Season 1 deserves some more love after Season 3 part 2 in my opinion (after each consecutive season actually).

DanpmssJul 17, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
damn why are this anitubers have very long videos lol especially Digibro, ye i watch long videos too but for strictly just about the anime show i do not feel watching but thanks for the share i might change my mind and watch it later
Jul 17, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2017
I remember watching this video that brought up a very interesting point (I cant remember who made the video i'm really sorry), point being that Eren is a shonen character living in a seinen world. this point changed the whole show for me and gave season one new meaning to me, it built Eren up only for him to come crushing down at the realisation of the cruel world he inhabits. Now how does this relate to Gigguk's video? I have no idea, i just wanted to share.
Jul 17, 2019 6:36 PM

Feb 2018
One of the few entertaining anitubers , I love his videos .
Jul 18, 2019 1:14 AM
Dec 2015
low-key Gigguk hopefully states Attack on Titan as today's generation Classic, which I agree and hopefully the community agrees too. this series has the same composition (can't find a better word) as FMAB being the first episodes as introduction of what's what, its misteries, etc. as the show goes on, it reveals what actually happens and its misteries. and finally, after all those long build ups they go all out in the last arc as the final blow. the only weakness is AoT adapted seasonally, unlike FMAB being a full adaptation. AoT S1 was such a bomb back then when it's first released, if only it keeps going as a full adaptation I'm sure a new Classic would've been born 5 years ago.
Jul 18, 2019 4:13 AM
Jul 2019
the_gazell said:
I remember watching this video that brought up a very interesting point (I cant remember who made the video i'm really sorry), point being that Eren is a shonen character living in a seinen world. this point changed the whole show for me and gave season one new meaning to me, it built Eren up only for him to come crushing down at the realisation of the cruel world he inhabits. Now how does this relate to Gigguk's video? I have no idea, i just wanted to share.
I pretty sure its from 'Soul'. the video is called The genious in eren jaeger character. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1I78uRiDI
Jul 18, 2019 4:22 AM

Feb 2013
I agree with this vid 100%, i thought season 1 was decent but nothing special,but the show has evolved into one of my favourite shows of all time.
Jul 18, 2019 4:25 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'm not going to watch it but for some reason I find the idea of Gigguk doing anything except talking out of his ass to be absurd

Jul 18, 2019 5:00 AM

Oct 2016
Manaban said:
I'm not going to watch it but for some reason I find the idea of Gigguk doing anything except talking out of his ass to be absurd

Good Idea wait for Final season to watch alll together.
Jul 18, 2019 6:44 AM
Feb 2017
deg said:
damn why are this anitubers have very long videos lol especially Digibro, ye i watch long videos too but for strictly just about the anime show i do not feel watching but thanks for the share i might change my mind and watch it later

There is always the option of speeding up videos to 2x.
Jul 18, 2019 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
I agree with almost everything on the video, but I still belive the decision of not developing the secondary characters on the first season was actually great. I can safely say that any Season 1 wouldn't have reached the level of development of a large group of characters, like we're having now. The only way of doing that would be spending every episode to develop every side character the show creates, and that just would make those arcs completely boring. That's why the first season is mainly about the 3 main characters, and by developing them, the events of those arcs managed to be extremely impactful. But I also belive the show developed a lot of characters from the Survey corps in the second half for example, while developing the political intrigues of the Military police as well. Rewatching Season 1 also make me confirmed that there is always a solid reason why the scenes of Season 1 were powerful and shocking and not because they were violent. So I still don't agree with the statment that Season 1 is sustented by having generic shocking scenes
BetterTasteJul 18, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 18, 2019 9:59 AM

Mar 2016
I thought it was very superficial but I liked it nonetheless.
Jul 18, 2019 10:55 AM
Sep 2018
The video was pretty good
Jul 18, 2019 6:59 PM

Dec 2015
I've been waiting for him to praise this series since S3P2 E10 ended. And sure enough he did. S3 (especially part 2) was so phenomenal that it hit almost all the right note for me as a manga reader. This is THE anime adaptation every beloved manga/LN series should have, and I'm glad SnK got what it deserved.
Jul 18, 2019 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
I still don't like some of the secondary characters like

Marco barely feeling a character thanks to having such little screentime so when his death came, I could barely feel the emotional weight there

Bertoth also barely felt like a character so when his speech came about how bad he get betraying the heroes becuz of all the good times he had with them(which we never saw on screen at all) .I couldn't feel that forced emotion there

You could also cut out Sasha ,Marlo, and Connie as characters and it wouldn't affect the storyline

And could Reiner stop having so much plot armor? He lives through everything out heroes throw at him
Jul 18, 2019 11:23 PM

Jul 2019
I used to like his older videos, but now he is just pandering to lowest-common denominator. I'll pass thanks but no thanks.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Jul 19, 2019 12:19 AM

May 2017
Yes the video was amazing and I agree with 100% he said. I liked S2 more than S1 and S3 is the pinnacle of modern Anime Entertainment.
Jul 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Jul 2012
AnimeFeminist said:
I used to like his older videos, but now he is just pandering to lowest-common denominator. I'll pass thanks but no thanks.

Well, you can't assume that without seeing his arguments for yourself, I must say.
His arguments are easy to follow (and packed with humor) and very straight to the point too, and if you watch his older videos, he didn't change much in terms of his more serious analysis, you know exactly what to expect. But yeah, choice is yours to watch it or not, I'm just sharing it for the sake of discussion and appreciation for a well put review.
Jul 19, 2019 2:32 PM
May 2016
Feels so damn good to see more and more popular anime youtubers giving this series the praise it deserves. Hope it keeps on coming, it's so damn sweet to see a show once touted as "Overrated" finally getting recognized as a classic
Jul 19, 2019 5:13 PM

Aug 2018
He honestly did a really good job in pointing out the good parts without having to spoil them.
Jul 20, 2019 8:21 PM
Feb 2019
"Arc 1: Eren gets kidnapped; Arc 2: Eren gets kidnapped; Arc 3: Eren gets kidnapped; Arc 4: Eren doesn't get kidnapped"

The best part.
xD

In general, a pretty good analysis with an interesting focus on how the series evolved season by season and what it was for the community.
Jul 21, 2019 7:43 AM
Oct 2015
I always follow his videos. He is on-point most of the time.
Btw the video was awesome. He simple illustrates every aspect behind each seasons.

The last part gave me chills.
Jul 21, 2019 10:37 AM

Feb 2017
That little amv at the end was so good. Wish he could make a full one.
Jul 21, 2019 10:55 AM

May 2015
Manaban said:

So because you personally don't like his videos, that means everything he says is bullshit?

Jul 21, 2019 11:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Manaban said:

So because you personally don't like his videos, that means everything he says is bullshit?

I'm glad that you seem to catch on fast

Jul 21, 2019 11:29 AM

May 2015
Manaban said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I'm glad that you seem to catch on fast

Just wanted to make sure you were actually saying something that dumb.

Jul 22, 2019 6:17 PM

Jan 2009
ok i have watch the video and ye Gigguk is good with this kind of stuff no wonder he got a lot of subscribers

that comparison of real life logic with Naruto though lol of course Attack on Titan is more realistic since it can be considered Hard Fantasy or even Hard Science Fiction stuff in some cases

and he miss the opportunity to say "all those deaths and sacrifice just for a fucking beach episode!" (that was actually a meme by a MAL user here that commented on some episode thread)
Jul 24, 2019 8:20 AM
Feb 2019
RoyMustang1990 said:
I still don't like some of the secondary characters like

Marco barely feeling a character thanks to having such little screentime so when his death came, I could barely feel the emotional weight there

Bertoth also barely felt like a character so when his speech came about how bad he get betraying the heroes becuz of all the good times he had with them(which we never saw on screen at all) .I couldn't feel that forced emotion there

You could also cut out Sasha ,Marlo, and Connie as characters and it wouldn't affect the storyline

I agree about Marco, but Bertholdt was fine (maybe because I liked him). Marlowe is supposed to represent the fodder characters and also what would happen to Eren if he had no titan powers. Unless you meant to say Marco, then he was there to show the warriors' resolves. Connie helped to find out that all titans are humans. Sasha will have her significance in the final season, but she helped a lot in season 3 part 1.
Jul 26, 2019 12:09 PM

Jul 2019
I was expecting 3 major sad and powerful scenes in this adaptation. Erwin's charge, Armin's sacrifice and Serum argue scene. I almost cry in this scene while reading the manga the feel was there. Somehow in this adaptation... not so much, perhaps the main reason here was the lack of proper OST during the scene. My sister and me cried the first time we watch ep 1 when eren's mom got eaten, powerful scene+power ost vogel im kafig was strong enough to make her cry. Also renier & berthold reveal was left me for almost a week.
Aug 2, 2019 3:18 AM
Jul 2018
the_gazell said:
it was SOUL i guess?
Aug 2, 2019 2:24 PM

Sep 2018
Yea i agree with most points but this video was as superficial as it gets (for comedic purposes i suppose), he never got into Character/Story or Worldbuilding depth and thats one of the bigger problems i still have with SnK, to superficial.
Aug 3, 2019 2:24 AM

May 2018
I have always prefer the season 2 and 3 over season 1 since the manga.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.