Forum Settings
Forums

Let’s be real...we are STUCK with Isekai...so can Japan at least spice it up?!

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Jul 18, 7:15 PM
Nithirel said:
It won't. Mediocre authors have found the perfect formula to exploit a lot of Anime watcher's love of escapism.

It's not "exploit" to simply give the customers what they want. "Exploit" would be if there was some massive difference between what the customers get and what the producers get, such as the producers being able to demand a massively high price, with the consumers having nowhere else to go.

But in this case, it's the customers who exploit the producers, if anything. I have never in my life paid for anime, and I've watched more than 150 of them. I'm guessing it's the same with almost everyone here.

Jul 18, 7:28 PM

Is it really that hard to avoid isekai? I only have two on my completed list. For sure I get that there is an abundance of isekai coming out every season but people are acting like that's all they produce nowadays. I know I'm in an ivory tower called older anime but looking at what every season produces I don't get how people complain about it really. There is lots of interesting stuff coming out every season.

Jul 18, 9:30 PM

Granted I tend to be a fan of fantasy settings and as a result have no qualms with fantasy themed isekai. The thing to me is a lot of these premises can already be found in other types of anime. So while I don't disagree with the premise of different concepts like if you wanted a scenario where humans aren't the dominant species in the distant future just watch Dr. Stone. A space themed isekai is just a sci-fi anime where their ship occasionally breaks. Even the idea of having a matrix type element was already done outside of isekai anime in the case of Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru and
. It's also questionable whether a futuristic anime is actually an isekai unless it's like a reverse Youjo Senki where instead of getting sent to a parallel world in a WW2 timeline it's like a parallel world in the distant future (but at that point it's just easier to do a time travel anime like Buddy Complex).
Modified by GamerDLM, Jul 18, 9:36 PM

Jul 18, 9:52 PM
OH...YEAH..ITS TRUE THAT ISEKAI IS GETTING WEIRDER SEASON BY SEASON..
EVENDUHH I LIKE IT..I HOPE SOMETHING BETTER COMES UP SOON..
HAHA

Jul 18, 9:52 PM

Hegar said:
Nithirel said:
It won't. Mediocre authors have found the perfect formula to exploit a lot of Anime watcher's love of escapism.

It's not "exploit" to simply give the customers what they want. "Exploit" would be if there was some massive difference between what the customers get and what the producers get, such as the producers being able to demand a massively high price, with the consumers having nowhere else to go.

But in this case, it's the customers who exploit the producers, if anything. I have never in my life paid for anime, and I've watched more than 150 of them. I'm guessing it's the same with almost everyone here.

They're taking advantage of people being complicit with subpar anime. That would be the definition of exploit.

Jul 18, 10:18 PM

Hegar said:
Cyber_Icarus said:
These shows are getting old but i i think the genre has so much potential tbh. they can tell all kinds of story but they keep using the same lame tropes. shield hero started well and went downhill fast like the rest.

I'd like to, for once, see an isekai where the world is on a Bronze Age level morally and the main characters are not the bringers of light but just accept it.

Ever watched Rome the TV Series? Every other Rome show the main characters are, surprise, the ones who oppose slavery and want democracy. But Vorenus and Pullo, heck no - slavery is perfectly normal, you won't see the slightest discussion of it. Pullo was the son of a slave woman captured by the Romans, then becomes a Roman soldier, kills a slave that annoys him, and Vorenus is angry at him not because it's murder but because it was Vorenus' slave, and now you made the slave girl who loved that slave cry loudly in the yard and you made the kids upset. Can't a guy get some peace and quiet around here?

Torture? Absolutely. Crucify two men from every conquered village until someone tells you where the stolen golden eagle is. The soldiers only complain because you get the answer quickly, so they have to take down all the crucified prisoners when they JUUUST got finished setting them up, dammit.

And this is the way Earth history was, endlessly. I'd like an Isekai that just rolls with it.

However, that doesn't mean to go overboard and bring on the monster parade, like Berserk. That just makes it too easy, presenting it all as the work of demons. No, not that cop-out. It's the work of people, and often fine and upstanding people too, and any other tribe or nation does the same thing, because they're just a step or two away from the jungle.

This is too dark and nuanced for the genre imo. I would love to see a dark show with this concept but i don't think typical LN writers can pull it off properly. Whenever they try to incorporate stuff like slavery, torture and extreme violence they end up turning the series into an edgy series for the sake of seeming edgy and cool. I'm not a big fan of these series either. I don't mind some edge but i would like to watch something a lil bit more mature.

Jul 18, 10:30 PM

For sure. I guess they're going to keep making what they feel sells and then start branching out though.
The weird thing is that some isekai HAVE started branching out, but I guess they've been hit or miss and no one wants to experiment in the same ways.

Honestly, there's no better time than now to make your own-- even if it's like the One Punch Man original webcomic quality-- and jut show studios what you can DO with isekai. Cause yo, if it gets popular enough, creators from all over WILL see it. You think they're not looking at some stuff? Nah, they're looking, and they're more than ready to take your ideas and use it for their stuff-- if they can understand it. Language is like the only reason they might not see it. Make it all accessible for them and stuff though and heck yeah, they'll see it.

I actually kinda feel like they haven't even done all they can with the rpg factor. They'd rather just repeat what others have done with the rpg factor instead of work with and expand on it.

Enjoy your anime!

Jul 18, 10:41 PM
Cyber_Icarus said:
This is too dark and nuanced for the genre imo. I would love to see a dark show with this concept but i don't think typical LN writers can pull it off properly. Whenever they try to incorporate stuff like slavery, torture and extreme violence they end up turning the series into an edgy series for the sake of seeming edgy and cool. I'm not a big fan of these series either. I don't mind some edge but i would like to watch something a lil bit more mature.

Well, reading my earlier post maybe it sounds a bit too bloody. It wouldn't have to go THAT far. But I'd just like to see something on the level of Roman times. At least to some degree. For one thing I'd like to see an anime where every country keeps slaves as the most natural thing in the world. A keeps slaves taken from B, and B keeps slaves taken from A. And no one ever holds a moral discussion about it in the show, just like they wouldn't discuss the morality in waging war.

Frankly, maybe what I want is just the gnashing of teeth in the forum comments. I do enjoy people scoring moral points opposing slavery, it's such a daring position to take. Ground breaking. For several Shield Hero episodes it was like this.

Jul 18, 10:47 PM
Swiggy said:
I actually kinda feel like they haven't even done all they can with the rpg factor. They'd rather just repeat what others have done with the rpg factor instead of work with and expand on it.

I'd like to see an isekai with a steampunk world. Maybe an RPG isekai, even. They're riding steam tanks around a rocky no-man's land that the kingdoms fight over because of the rocks that turn water into steam when you drop them in heated water. (The one thing you have to solve in steampunk is this, you can't have battle machines on land where the steam is powered with coal or wood, you'd run out quickly. So I'm always hoping someone will make a steampunk story where steam is powered by a mineral, and as with oil, that becomes the most valuable resource.)

An RPG story about that could be that the main character is an excellent driver and an excellent marksman. Actually, you could have the our-world part of the isekai take place in the future, and the MC is one of the competitors in a virtual-reality world. They are all submerged in sleep tanks for a year. You never know which characters in the game are AI and which are real people, but you have to make alliances.

Now I've mentioned two ideas that I've been thinking about. Don't steal them. Unless you're gonna turn them into an awesome anime.

Jul 18, 11:00 PM

Hegar said:
Swiggy said:

I'd like to see an isekai with a steampunk world. Maybe an RPG isekai, even. They're riding steam tanks around a rocky no-man's land that the kingdoms fight over because of the rocks that turn water into steam when you drop them in heated water. (The one thing you have to solve in steampunk is this, you can't have battle machines on land where the steam is powered with coal or wood, you'd run out quickly. So I'm always hoping someone will make a steampunk story where steam is powered by a mineral, and as with oil, that becomes the most valuable resource.)

An RPG story about that could be that the main character is an excellent driver and an excellent marksman. Actually, you could have the our-world part of the isekai take place in the future, and the MC is one of the competitors in a virtual-reality world. They are all submerged in sleep tanks for a year. You never know which characters in the game are AI and which are real people, but you have to make alliances.

Now I've mentioned two ideas that I've been thinking about. Don't steal them. Unless you're gonna turn them into an awesome anime.
Lol I totally don't have time to steal them. I have so many other projects to finish. Plus, I don't really animate anymore (unless it's short and I really feel like it).
BUT YEAH, why not go make those?? Go for it! I actually quite like the Steampunk idea!
People are so imaginative that it just kills me to see so much unexplored!

Enjoy your anime!

Jul 18, 11:01 PM

Hegar said:
Cyber_Icarus said:

Well, reading my earlier post maybe it sounds a bit too bloody. It wouldn't have to go THAT far. But I'd just like to see something on the level of Roman times. At least to some degree. For one thing I'd like to see an anime where every country keeps slaves as the most natural thing in the world. A keeps slaves taken from B, and B keeps slaves taken from A. And no one ever holds a moral discussion about it in the show, just like they wouldn't discuss the morality in waging war.

Frankly, maybe what I want is just the gnashing of teeth in the forum comments. I do enjoy people scoring moral points opposing slavery, it's such a daring position to take. Ground breaking. For several Shield Hero episodes it was like this.

Eh I'm not too keen on this slavery thing. I just want a show with better storytelling, well written adult cast or teenagers who aren't completely stupid and bland, good production values, a more unique concept/setting and less reliance on cliches and tropes. Adding dark stuff for the sake of making it more dark won't fix the main problems in the genre.

Jul 19, 7:32 AM
I love stuff...

I doubt it.

2020s are almost here, and as a new decade, it will most likely bring some new cool thing in anime.
And that will happen very soon.

I saw only few isekai made in this decade, so I don't follow it closely, but I am aware that it is already at point where they are trying to spice things up, doing weird stuff, subverting tropes, such as including military, overpowered moms, having anti-hero MCs, and just plain making parodies...

People are already bored, and I just don't think any 2010s isekai had a long lasting value like some of the most famous long running anime franchises, except for Digimon, but that one is classic, and different from the ones that are currently popular.

At best, I see some specials, or movies happening, even series, but those will mostly be overlooked, since most of people will be interested in whatever fad will be in 2020s.

Jul 19, 2:18 PM
a car

Just ya'll wait for Isekai Goumon Hime to get an anime adaptation. It's edgy but it has some surprisingly interesting character development. Except that it'll be adapted by J.C. Staff and employ a vibrant color palette that completely clashes with the darker tone, and also the fact that it'll have plenty of stilted animation and CG that don't do the original novel's eloquent prose justice at all, but hey at least MYTH & ROID will (probably) have done the opening song)

Jul 19, 8:42 PM
--ALEX-- said:
Ok, we all get it...Japs love Isekai...this is clear as day seeing as we get them one after the next each season.

But why do ALL of them have to be the same goddamn fantasy RPG bullshit?!

Why can’t we have them go OTHER settings with different premises other than “saving the world” or just being an Otaku in an RPG?

Ok, how about a “planet of the apes” type premise, where our Protagonist goes to some weird planet where another species dominates humans?

What about a matrix type premise where our protagonist is in another world, only to find out it’s actually a simulation or that robots are in control or whatever.

What about a FUTURE Isekai where it’s all futuristic and our protagonist must adapt to the new technology and possible distopian scenario?

Please, just no more Fantasy RPG!!!

I could not disagree with you more bro , I can't get enough of the isekai rpg adventure anime like danmachi grimgar or even non isekais like goblin slayer. if there's dungeon adventures killing monsters and levelling up then sign me up pls.

I literally came to this website and downloaded this app so I can ask people if they know any shows like that because I suspect I may have seen them all hahaha. if you know any pls @me

Jul 19, 9:16 PM

Mushoku Tensei is coming out and while its fantasy isekai its not RPG video game fantasy. so that is something to look forward to.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Jul 19, 11:26 PM

--ALEX-- said:
Ok, we all get it...Japs love Isekai...this is clear as day seeing as we get them one after the next each season.

Why can’t we have them go OTHER settings with different premises other than “saving the world” or just being an Otaku in an RPG?

Ok, how about a “planet of the apes” type premise, where our Protagonist goes to some weird planet where another species dominates humans?

What about a matrix type premise where our protagonist is in another world, only to find out it’s actually a simulation or that robots are in control or whatever.

What about a FUTURE Isekai where it’s all futuristic and our protagonist must adapt to the new technology and possible distopian scenario?

You are not stuck. Relax. This things are trends. Different shit will come soon.
Trends fall out of favor in time because there is too much of something and people get bored of it and start looking for something else.

Jul 19, 11:29 PM

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Just for personal reference: Are Shield Hero and Goblin Slayer isekai series?

Shield hero technically is although the story is written in such way that the isekai factor seems redundant.

Goblin slayer isn't. Is just a fantasy world, but no isekai.

Jul 20, 2:02 AM

We need more good reverse isekai. And for everyone's sake, not another medieval setting.
"Science is just a name for the steady, pain-in-the-ass effort that goes behind it"
- Senku

Jul 20, 2:45 AM
Kotori❤Kanbe

Short_Circut said:
tbf, fantasy rpg actually has a lot of unused potentials, look at Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash for instance. It's just a shame that a majority of isekai series' decide to go down the same pathway, even promising ones like Shield Hero are victims

Manaban said:
i have a novel idea i've been sitting on for a while now

what about a fantasy RPG isekai where the protagonist meets a bunch of attractive women and it becomes a harem ecchi isekai where they go on adventures and beat the shit out of the bad guys and such

bruh that's the most unique idea I think I've heard in my entire time here

lol, omg yes. Do this. This is so original!

You'll get thousands of viewers with these methods
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. https://discord.gg/rRn6Jy3 if u want me to face reveal ask in pm

Jul 20, 3:19 AM

i'm just a simple man, i just want an isekai with an MC that doesn't act like a timid 7 year old boy who still believes that all girls have cooties, basically i just want an Action/Isekai/Harem/Ecchi with preferably a handsome MC, well built body, cool and badass, pretty much take your generic Isekai harem show and replace the MC with Kazami Yuuji, nothing special.

edit: oh and no annoying violent girls who always hits and blames the MC for every little thing that even he had no way of avoiding or was never his fault in the first place. basically Tsundere type 2. i'm fine with Tsundere type 1, the ones that are just too shy to admit their feelings but doesn't resort to violence, in fact i like them.

Jul 20, 5:52 AM

I just want a lawful evil homicidal maniac as a MC... oh wait, I already got Yōjo Senki. Well it was technically a guy.

Jul 20, 6:42 AM
Grim Anime Fan

Fantasy medieval/rpg setting is pure joy. I love them.

It's trending genre right now. And like always with trends. They shift. And there are so many Anime to choose from.. so instead of whining go watch something else.

Jul 21, 7:21 AM
--ALEX-- said:

Some ideas feel free to use any parts for your own projects

#1 an island appears in the ocean after a mondo earthquake, there are ruins of some lost civilization. Obviously there is money to be made here so mega corporations  start sending out teams that are pretty much just private militaries to try and takemover parts of the island and gather anything of value.

Not sure how to explain the jump but either these ruins have some kind of stargate or they are some kind of ancient alien space station that has been under the ocean millions of years (and is fossilized or somthing) but someone a team goes through some kind of rift. Like a special force group and maybe some random normies like scientists or just baggage carriers (to die as fodder after the jump to show how dangerous the new world is)

I was thinking of how to make the world different, probably just mainly non humanoid monsters and the main humanoid race wouls be like elves. The special force group with thier automatic rifles would kind of be super overpowered to the people here. But they only have so much ammunition so they would have to adapt. Their soldier armor could be upgraded with adding magic metal plates or something (like a video game) maybe the elf people could like make thier own firearms or specialized ammunition for the soldiers rifles.

For the main enemy maybe this world has its own ancient and lost civilization like the ruins found on earth. I was thinking something like egyptian tombs and mummies. Maybe some undead necromancers with goblinoid elf children zombies and huge orclike elf warrior zombies. Maybe they could find one last dude from this other race who is kind of like a vampire i guess. They have to live in these tombs and cant be exposed to sunlight (why the party must always dungeon dive like a game)

#2 like how the kids in the battle royal movie are sleep gassed and wake up on the island. A bus trip of highschoolers gets gassed and plugged into some chair like the project cosmos kids from spriggan or how the child soldoers of metal gear solid rising revengeance are trained in vr. Maybe this will be kept a secret until much later to explain why/how the kids ended up in this vr world.

Main team, weird kind of big kind of strong guy, no homies, massive xp in lucid dreaming, somehow trained a powerful mind. Maybe consumed alcohol and tried to fight to remain in control of his senses and trained in martial arts or self taught or meditation or somthing. What i was thinking was since this guy knows its not real he can be like neo from the matrix, like just simply understand this isnt real and hes not hurt to take less damage or not die. Maybe some kind of psychic shield ability so projectiles bend around him. While lucid dreaming i can often shange what is happening or how objects work, since these game worlds are kind of like being in a dream i thought a lucid ability could make a cool character.

Track and field captain mizuki type girl. Events like pole vault and high jump develop body control that most people are simply unaware of. Maybe some xp in gymnastics or somtjing also but i tjink a track anf field character would be best. So like i  this game world she has greater ability to do crazy stuff like jump real high and spin arojnd and twist in mid air. The average person simply doesnt know jow to use their body to perform movements like this. So in a game/dream world someone who has some expierence in this would be able to perform much better once the limits of reality and the human body were removed or increased to fantasy levels. Maybe a spear primary weapon for pole vault type shenanigans.

Hacker guy, i kmagine him kind of like a L from death note, like a guy who can actually program learn coding and build computers. This guy pretty much has the ability to break the game/simulation. (The game itself being a test prototype for military vr training) i was thinking the game workd operates more like a game with levels stages and glitches in like a fantasy world but jot the menu screen silliness, like its a real world but you can find glitches in like a corner than drop you into a different part of the world. Or like a debug room with weapons/enemies that have been removed from the main game. Or like a developer room with all the weapons on the game.allowing the party to find ridiculously over powered weapons and items created by developers while testing the game thats have been removed from the main game but still have thier files in parts which were not mean to be accessed. Eventually i was thinking he would find some area which was supposed to be inaccessible like a crystal tree or somthing and like his hairs get connected to the roots and he becomes like "one with the matrix" now able to read and edit all the code. But then they guys running the operation notice and remove him and plug him into some other machine. When the two mcs escape at the end they will take this dude with them hut hes already dead.

Delinquent guy gaming expert, the delinquents in the class formed a kind of raider group. Once defeated this guy who isnt so bad joins the main party. He pretty much sucks but his knowledge of rpgs allows him to helo the party mentally attack problems from a different perspective.

Jock guy, the jocks formed thier own group with their american football team xp and with their teamwork are very dangerous but the main party still beast them then this smaller more agile dude joins the main party.

False main party, some big nerd guy with a harem of like 4 girls leads the audience to believe he will be the main character of the series but then him and his party get wiped out in a big shock to the viewers.

Smartest girl in class, become some kind of archmage supported by npcs becomes a total jerk obviously defeated by main party.

Rest of the class dies in the first episode to show how dangerous the new world is.

Maybe even a teacher is there with them and his like now dont worry kids ill figure this out the just gets exploded by a monster instantly.

#3 not a fully developed idea more of a setting. I was thinking it would be interesting to take a fantasy setting into the deep future. So like no castles and old eurooe themes. Like dystopian blade runner mega city. But still the same kinds of monsters and beings, like orc criminals, elves hanging. about. Most people also have some kind of monster companion like a slime or somthing more dangerous and useful. I was tjinking this mega city would be controlled by some beings like the vampire race from concept #1 like they cant go outside, drink blood, are super evil. Not really thought about what the purpose here would be yet just thought the setting would be cool and different. But probably robots and cyborgs should be avoided as this would take away from the monster element, maybe cyborg monsters would be alright, lord of the rings and ghost in a shell or somthing. Mot really an isekai, as i didnt think about people being transported here, just a different fantasy setting.

#4 just thought of this a few hours ago. Like fist of the north star but instead of mad max wasteland settings its like old japan with samurai. Again not another world just a different kind of fantasy setting.

Please check out the Cosmic Warriors motion comic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3llVODuPfHtN70i9gKKsg

The most censored motion comic on MyAnimeList.net

Jul 21, 5:07 PM

Isekai aren't even as overwhelmingly common as many make them out to seem. Moe slice of life/CGDCT is still the most common genre.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jul 21, 5:24 PM
I actually don't have any problem with the settings and themes, but the way Japan develop it really makes me cancer. I mean, seriously. It's weather got hitted by a truck or just immediately go there, and there is nothing new in it, to be honest.

The thing that makes it even worse is that their purposes are the same. To defeat demon of something like that. But, demon, undead, fairy, angel, all of them has a human form with just wings or torn in it. They don't really want makes something new. If it was just like Berserk, I don't mind it at all. In fact, I will love them.

But I guess Japanese Otaku will just love it anyway, and people that who really isekai hardcore will just watch it no matter how bad it is, so the author just become lazy and made isekai story because they might just think "whatever, I will make tons of money from it anyway as long as there are a lot of cute girls who just immediately fall in love with the MC".

For me, I want some settings that really have a thing with the other world, but it is still in our world. It's just exist. Maybe something like Mushishi, Natsume, Hotarobi No Mori E or the spirited away, but for teenager. I mean, it is really rare for them, like a spiritual beings in a human world and only certain people can see them. We still don't get the shonen adaptation from it, maybe mix it with action will be more great.

Or maybe a gothic theme will be more interesting. Like maybe Bloodborne for example, but in anime version. I will love to see old English era in anime like Kuroshitsuji but with more dark theme, better writing and better character.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]