Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2019 4:31 AM

Sep 2015
I would like some help with whether I should start collect the Naruto anime or not. Only read further and comment if you are interested.

So I grew up during my teen years being a fan of Naruto. I bingewatched all of the original anime series (well, minus the filler stuff), and I watched Naruto Shippuden up until episode 54 (where a boring filler arc interrupted everything and annoyed me, and ultimately made me lose interest in the anime). So for obvious reasons, I have a lot of nostalgia for the anime.

However, I have for many, MANY years now contemplating collecting it on DVD, and I always put it on hold. Being a DVD collector, I want to buy it before it's out of stock, because that could happen at any given time. But of course, collecting it on DVD ain't cheap. It's rather expensive, as a matter of fact.

Not to mention, I nowadays have a lot of problems with Naruto. A few of them, I developed back when I watched it... but others started to enter my mind now in recent years. I mean, there are of course the things that bothers most people with the anime, such as Naruto himself as a character, and such as the way they escalate and progress the story eventually.

But then there are more personal problems with it I have that those who know me already should be able to guess. Namely it's lack of gay inclusion. All the main characters get into a heterosexual relationship at the end, and there is no openly gay male character in the anime. But on the other hand, there are some heavily implied gay and bi male characters such as Haku and Kabuto and Orochimaru and Itachi. There is even a video on Youtube discussing this you can check out here: https://youtu.be/yR6AP-jw7KU

Not to mention, there's the fact that Harry Potter has a very similar problem, yet I can enjoy those movies, and I even love the third movie. So, why can't I be okay with it in Naruto as well, you know what I'm saying?

But what other reasons other than nostalgia do I have to contemplate collecting Naruto? Well, I love the art style and animation of it, I love the music, I love some of the characters (such as Kakashi and Sai and Orochimaru among others), I love the fights, and I am very intrigued and fascinated by how they learn to use their chakra for magical attacks and how the ninja world of Naruto works and operates in general.

The Naruto anime certainly has a lot of problems. But I would lie if I said I didn't have a soft spot for it, and I can't help it. But mainly for the gay stuff, I struggle with deciding for some reason. I want to figure out a way to think differently about it to not let it bother me.

So what do you think, should I start collecting Naruto or not? And if you think I should consider it, could you please help me with any way to think more positive about it's gay inclusion or lack of it? Please don't hesitate to comment to give any helpful advice at all, I have had this building up in my head for years now and I want any help I can get.
Jul 18, 2019 6:04 PM

Oct 2011
When you speak of collecting, are you a completionist? Here is my personal opinion: if there are specific story arcs that you remember fondly, I would consider buying the DVDs for only those.

1. You're right that collecting media is expensive. There are ways to cut down these costs (buying used, buying as a set instead of individual DVDs, etc.), but it still adds up.
  2. It sounds like you have a lot of mixed feelings about the series (and that you never finished Shippuden, if I understand your post correctly). It might not be worthwhile to collect *every* DVD (or too many DVDs) from a series that, when you look at it on your shelf, makes you think "eh" or "I wish this was different" when you look at it. For me personally, I try to only collect things that I love.
  3. Naruto has like a billion episodes--I would only buy the ones you might watch again, and not parts of the show that make you remember what you *don't* like about it.

I can't say much about gay inclusion or lack thereof--it's just not something that Shounen Jump traditionally does much with. I do think it was extra hard for people who were strong Naruto/Sasuke shippers, and this is why we have so much fanfic and fanart even now featuring these characters. (I'm not sure if you were hoping for different ships, or if it's the way sexuality is handled that you don't like, but I think there are probably many people in the fandom who feel similarly to you.)

Anyway, this is just my opinion based on how I choose to purchase media. Although you've said that you are a DVD collector, don't forget that there are other ways that you can keep a memento of a show you're nostalgic for but see a lot of problems with--like buying a CD of soundtrack, merchandise, or even these really cool artbooks. These could be a better fit than owning the DVDs, based on what you've said, if you're willing to try them.
Jul 18, 2019 6:22 PM
Jan 2017
The lack of gay inclusion part spun and baffled me. Itachi gay/bi vibe? I am pretty sure that is in your head and had you continued after Shippuden 54... I am going to have a lie down
Jul 18, 2019 7:54 PM

Dec 2011
Maybe you should hear this as someone who stopped collecting a series because of mixed feelings (manga tho). Not even my fond memories and really nice experiences with it could override my general disappointment. Every time I saw it on my shelf it was just a big sigh, thinking about the lost potential. It took me years to realize it’s not worth keeping - not because it’s incomplete, but because it doesn’t make me happy. I still love it, but don’t need or want it with me. My solution is to sell. It sounds like this could be Naruto for you. Of course, a few DVDs of your top favorite episodes might not be so bad. You could re-watch those and be reminded of the things you love about the series.

As Marie Kondo would say, if it’s on your shelf or in your hands, does it spark joy in you? Would you focus on the good, or you can’t help but think about all those things that don’t quite sit right with you, every time you pass by those DVDs? If it’s the latter, then I don’t think it’s worth it, personally. If it's the former, go ahead. It's all about how you frame your feelings.
Jul 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Sep 2015
Snakering said:
When you speak of collecting, are you a completionist? Here is my personal opinion: if there are specific story arcs that you remember fondly, I would consider buying the DVDs for only those.

1. You're right that collecting media is expensive. There are ways to cut down these costs (buying used, buying as a set instead of individual DVDs, etc.), but it still adds up.
  2. It sounds like you have a lot of mixed feelings about the series (and that you never finished Shippuden, if I understand your post correctly). It might not be worthwhile to collect *every* DVD (or too many DVDs) from a series that, when you look at it on your shelf, makes you think "eh" or "I wish this was different" when you look at it. For me personally, I try to only collect things that I love.
  3. Naruto has like a billion episodes--I would only buy the ones you might watch again, and not parts of the show that make you remember what you *don't* like about it.

I can't say much about gay inclusion or lack thereof--it's just not something that Shounen Jump traditionally does much with. I do think it was extra hard for people who were strong Naruto/Sasuke shippers, and this is why we have so much fanfic and fanart even now featuring these characters. (I'm not sure if you were hoping for different ships, or if it's the way sexuality is handled that you don't like, but I think there are probably many people in the fandom who feel similarly to you.)

Anyway, this is just my opinion based on how I choose to purchase media. Although you've said that you are a DVD collector, don't forget that there are other ways that you can keep a memento of a show you're nostalgic for but see a lot of problems with--like buying a CD of soundtrack, merchandise, or even these really cool artbooks. These could be a better fit than owning the DVDs, based on what you've said, if you're willing to try them.

... I asked for help to view the gay inclusion or lack of it from a positive point of view, yet you do literally the opposite to me.

Like, you could have said something like this: "Think positive about that they do include characters like Haku, and some other characters are kept ambigious but hinting at being gay or bi."

But no, you instead tell me I should indeed feel disappointed with it, and that I should read fanfics. Even though that would only make me feel worse, so... thanks for nothing.

And, I want to collect and watch a show, and you suggest me to collect music and merchandising? I'm pretty sure that's not a way to watch the show. I never said I just collect random shit, I think you're completely missing my point. I want to collect it on DVD so I can sit in my couch and watch it on my TV, and feel like I always own it to watch it whenever I please.

CMYK said:
Maybe you should hear this as someone who stopped collecting a series because of mixed feelings (manga tho). Not even my fond memories and really nice experiences with it could override my general disappointment. Every time I saw it on my shelf it was just a big sigh, thinking about the lost potential. It took me years to realize it’s not worth keeping - not because it’s incomplete, but because it doesn’t make me happy. I still love it, but don’t need or want it with me. My solution is to sell. It sounds like this could be Naruto for you. Of course, a few DVDs of your top favorite episodes might not be so bad. You could re-watch those and be reminded of the things you love about the series.

As Marie Kondo would say, if it’s on your shelf or in your hands, does it spark joy in you? Would you focus on the good, or you can’t help but think about all those things that don’t quite sit right with you, every time you pass by those DVDs? If it’s the latter, then I don’t think it’s worth it, personally. If it's the former, go ahead. It's all about how you frame your feelings.

If I am collecting the show, I am collecting the show. There is no "collect episodes you like" option for me.

More topics from this board

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
56 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
1 hour ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.