Forum Settings
Forums
New
Where does a MAL user have the most trouble?
Adult club
14.5%
Bar
15.8%
Church
9.2%
Concert
2.6%
Japan
14.5%
Military
27.6%
Near a school
15.8%
On the road (driving)
0.0%
Store
0.0%
76 votes
Jul 15, 2019 9:38 PM

Jul 2016
If you don't see your option, post it!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Nov 2016
Depends on the person really. Most of the problems that could arise are caused by how they go about being an Otaku and are not the fact that they are an otaku.

If they have Hikkikomori tendencies or are more Introverted any of these places will be equally bad.

If they are more Extroverted not really any of these places will be bad if they know how to handle it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
all of them for me since im clinically paranoid and people will just likely get suspicious of me in return (mirror neurons effect) that will worsen my paranoia (vicious cycle)

but i voted Japan since that implies i will go out on as many social places there
Jul 15, 2019 10:13 PM

Oct 2012
Why would I have trouble with any of these places? I don't get it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 15, 2019 10:15 PM

Oct 2010
I guess a bar would be the worst place for me since I don't really drink. I seem to have a ridiculously low tolerance to alcohol. A single glass of wine in a fancy restaurant is enough to have me laughing my ass off, singing Kesha, and causing a scene. The one time I went to a bar a cosmo just KOed me. I was a half-conscious giggling blob on the floor that had to be literally carried home by two guys. So yeah, alcohol and I don't seem to mix.
Jul 15, 2019 10:34 PM

Jul 2013
Most of the options listed above are voluntary and I could walk away from, I vote for Work. I can't escape that hell for 9hrs a day 5 days a week and I hate my coworkers. Freedom to do what I want is restricted, the job is boring, and the pay isn't anything to brag about. All and all just surviving hell to live another day to do it again.

Edit: When I was a student I considered school the same situation.
Jul 15, 2019 11:09 PM

Sep 2018
am i allowed to say all of them because i’m scared of social interaction and if it’s not my room it’s not a good place
Jul 15, 2019 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
Anywhere, where I cannot do what I want, the way I want and how long.
Jul 16, 2019 2:01 AM

Mar 2014
first, my workplace. mine is small and i'm kinda claustrophobic.
second place would be the rooftop. there are so many beautiful things i can see up there, the sky, the stars, the light in the far place, all the things that my hands could never reach. it itches my heart seeing those things.
Jul 16, 2019 2:17 AM

Jun 2019
In church since all anime watchers are sinners.
Jul 16, 2019 2:23 AM

Nov 2016
Probably in your room next your unboxing videos.
Jul 16, 2019 3:53 AM

Jul 2016
katsucats said:
Why would I have trouble with any of these places? I don't get it.

Because this was written with weeb stereotypes in mind.
Jul 16, 2019 6:25 AM

Jan 2019
My vote went to military, simply because I wouldn't be allowed the personal freedom I enjoy now.

Aside from that, Japan would suck bigtime since the extent of my Japanese vocabulary is 'konichiwa' and 'baka'.

I used to hide anime from my Catholic parents but going to church wasn't so bad for an anime fan, it was just annoying to get up early on a weekend and kneel up and down so much
Jul 16, 2019 6:27 AM
May 2019
I would say Adult club everybody on MAL knows 2D > 3D rule 😊
Jul 16, 2019 7:48 AM

Jan 2019
Xstasy said:
I would say Adult club everybody on MAL knows 2D > 3D rule 😊

There is definitely some truth here. Some co-workers dragged me to one of these germ pits and I will never go back to 3D again. Every single girl there must have bathed in a 55 Gal. drum of perfume before their shift to cover up any BO, while from a distance of about 20 ft. they looked attractive, get too close and all the imperfections that come from drinking, chain smoking and drug use become visible. There is a reason those places are dark. I carpooled so I couldn't leave early and I sat in the corner just waiting for it to be over, but every 12 minutes or so some girl would come up to me and try and get money out of me.

Never ever ever ever again.
Jul 16, 2019 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Probably a club. I don't do well in places with a lot of people partying and shit. It makes me uncomfortable cuz the people are also fucking obnoxious. And work kinda with my co-workers annoying me with their bullshit. It ain't a healthy environment sometimes.

Jul 16, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2007
Hell, prison, a gulag, a famine-hit village in rural Africa with no knowledge of the local language.

I can think of quite a lot of places worse than that list.

If I had to choose from that list though, probably the military. MAL is full of pudgy, pampered shut-ins.
Jul 16, 2019 9:36 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
As a lot of people mentioned, it really depends on the person. All anime fans have different personalities and interests, so it would be natural that their worst possible place they could be would be different from each other.

However, simply picking from that list, I would definitely say the military, simply because they would not have time to watch anime. Considering that someone enrolled in the military has a MAL account, they likely really enjoy watching anime and spend several hours on it. As such, I would imagine it to be hard for a MAL user to stop watching anime, due to the responsibilities and rules that are set when entering the military.
Jul 16, 2019 3:38 PM

Jul 2017
nowhere i don't care about these places to the slighest
all i have to do is to reserve myself and speak up my mind when i feel like
Jul 16, 2019 3:39 PM

Nov 2013
going into the shower/bath is apparently the worst place for them to go
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 16, 2019 8:44 PM

Jul 2016
Sad said:

I used to not go there for a week until I got an abscess on my back. Now every two days.
Jul 16, 2019 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
Sad said:

lol i only shower regularly during hot summer time but if its cold season maybe once a week
Jul 16, 2019 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
A social setting: I seriously doubt most of us on this site know how to socialize properly.
I know I don't.
Jul 16, 2019 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
Anywhere that involves social interactivity is no-go for me. So all of these places would cause unwanted anxiety/paranoia, etc.
Jul 16, 2019 9:40 PM

Feb 2016
probably outside of an elementary school since they aren't allowed within 1,000 feet of one
@suguchan best girl fr and i ship her with kirito
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 16, 2019 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
@PantsuSenseiUwU Yes, another one who agrees that Suguha is best girl! :D I ship her with Kirito as well!
Jul 16, 2019 9:56 PM

Feb 2017
no idea about you guys but the people who i know in real who use mal are smart af but scaredy cats in crowds so i'l go with a bar.

Jul 16, 2019 10:06 PM
Nov 2017
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
probably outside of an elementary school since they aren't allowed within 1,000 feet of one

With a signature like yours, no wonder. This is why we cant have nice things, ya know

Jul 16, 2019 10:15 PM

Feb 2016
@birdythemighty
@FBI bois we got another one :D

― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Jul 2016
PantsuSenseiUwU said:

My elementary school closed down recently.
Jul 17, 2019 7:48 PM

Feb 2016
@ipreferecchi probably because you live by it :D
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 17, 2019 7:58 PM
May 2019
Those options are so.....different, I feel everywhere else except the military could easily be a hangout spot lol
Jul 20, 2019 8:52 PM

Sep 2014
the workplace hands down. you are forced to leave the house, forced to interact with real humans, forced to have real hygiene, and can not watch animu. (most of the time)
Jul 20, 2019 9:23 PM

Jun 2016
Out of those options, probably an adult club or bar. I have a mental image in my head of a fat, cheeto-stained shirt wearing weeaboo getting his ass beat after pissing off a group of drunk bikers or a meathead bouncer.

As for the military, I've heard there are actually quite a few weebs who serve.
As cringy as one actually in Japan would be the Japanese are polite people so a weeb would probably just get a few dirty looks. Same goes for going to church.
Weebs already go to vocaloid concerts and fill anime clubs in schools. Anime-themed stores exist and I've seen pictures of people's cars with their anime waifus painted on them.
Lost_VikingJul 20, 2019 9:29 PM
Jul 20, 2019 9:56 PM

May 2013
Concert. They're too loud for the mild mannered MAL user and fellow goers won't respect your personal space.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 20, 2019 11:59 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
A conversation with another human being; they may even drop dead right on the spot.
Jul 21, 2019 1:31 AM

Jul 2016
Gan_water said:
Concert. They're too loud for the mild mannered MAL user and fellow goers won't respect your personal space.

I'm neither mild mannered nor do I want space between me and others, except my dad who has a habit of still kissing the top of his children's heads before he goes to bed, and randomly giving shoulder massages.

This was a thread about stereotypes for the lolz. I'm not the typical woeful MAL user.
Jul 21, 2019 1:39 AM

Nov 2009
Lost_Viking said:
As for the military, I've heard there are actually quite a few weebs who serve.

As a US Navy vet, can confirm. Met my weeb significant other there, and I was always meeting new people to trade anime downloads with on deployment.

I was deployed when Pokemon X and Y were released, and you couldn't go anywhere on the ship without seeing a bunch of people with their 3DS in hand after the release. At least half of my division was playing it.
Jul 21, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
Gan_water said:

I'm neither mild mannered nor do I want space between me and others, except my dad who has a habit of still kissing the top of his children's heads before he goes to bed, and randomly giving shoulder massages.

This was a thread about stereotypes for the lolz. I'm not the typical woeful MAL user.

Yeah, it goes without saying that there's probably no one type of person here. You're the one who made the thread.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 21, 2019 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Near a school. Gotta protect the children from the incels and pedos
Jul 21, 2019 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
I hate to support this stereotype, but it's less of being an anime fan and more of... most people I know rarely go in clubs over 24, 25 years anymore. I prefer a good, nice bar with friends much more.
Jul 21, 2019 11:13 AM

Jun 2008
IpreferEcchi said:
If you don't see your option, post it!

Is MAL user some collective mind hive like the Borg? Because that is the only way this would make sense.
Jul 21, 2019 11:16 AM

Jun 2008
Maneki-Mew said:
I hate to support this stereotype, but it's less of being an anime fan and more of... most people I know rarely go in clubs over 24, 25 years anymore. I prefer a good, nice bar with friends much more.

Clubs are shit. Haven't gone in one in many many years.
People just standing there trying to play cool with some shitty drink in hand in over-loud music that basically makes any social interaction other than drunken behaviour a nightmare.
MonadJul 21, 2019 11:45 AM
Jul 21, 2019 11:29 AM

Jan 2009
In the same places that are hard to live for (modern) humans in general, f.i. in Antarctica, in deserts, in jungles, etc.

Jul 21, 2019 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Monad said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Clubs are shit. Haven't gone in one in many many years.
People just standing there trying to play cool with some shitty drink in hand in overcloud music that basically makes any social interaction other than drunken behaviour a nightmare.

There had been times, when I went two or three times a month, because my high school friends and I had the dumb opinion that this is the right way to socialize and have fun... while you are shouting at each other and get annoying dumb pick up lines etc.
The clubs I knew even didn't have decent cocktails. Only vodka redbull etc because it's cheaper.
Jul 21, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2017
Serious: Nowhere....how do we know who's a MAL user to begin with?

LOL: Definitely an adult club, imagine someone coming to a stripper and saying : "Do you wanna see myanimelist profile? I put alot of effort in it. Also, do you want to see my forums posts? My arguments will make you feel excited !

Jul 21, 2019 12:31 PM

Dec 2016
Mimurona said:
Serious: Nowhere....how do we know who's a MAL user to begin with?

LOL: Definitely an adult club, imagine someone coming to a stripper and saying : "Do you wanna see myanimelist profile? I put alot of effort in it. Also, do you want to see my forums posts? My arguments will make you feel excited !

Yeah just go up to her and whip it out. Just a motherfreaking laptop with wifi (all the trendy strip clubs have wifi so I can browse MAL and watch animu whilst getting a lap dance, like bitch even asked me what that was once and I was like I don't remember paying you to speak you know, anyways where was I?) outta yo sweat pants son. BAM! LOOK AT THIS GURL!!! She thought is was gonna be a dick, but she was wrong.
Jul 21, 2019 6:57 PM

Jul 2016
Gan_water said:
Yeah, it goes without saying that there's probably no one type of person here. You're the one who made the thread.

It's one of my attempts at getting in Popular New Topics. This was an unsuccessful attempt because people replied too slowly.
Jul 21, 2019 7:04 PM

May 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
Gan_water said:

It's one of my attempts at getting in Popular New Topics. This was an unsuccessful attempt because people replied too slowly.

Not sure what to say... a thread like this is best if you don't refute your own context hahah
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Oct 2017
So average MAL user is what? Young, late teens to early twenties. Predominantly male. Introverted. Prefers interacting with people over the internet. Many are somewhat perverted. Particularly nervous around 3D women with some even discarding them completely for the 2D master race.

With that in mind here's how I rate each option.

Adult Club: I assume this means like a strip club? Interaction with 3D women is pretty bad but you don't really need to talk to them. And most MAL users are perverted enough to enjoy it even if some of us would prefer 2D. Fairly social situation but not packed and, again, don't need to socialize, that's not the point.

Discomfort level: 2/5

Church: Some will feel judged but I imagine most people that could potentially feel judged are far past the point of caring about religious views towards their perversions. Forced socializing level very low. More boring than anything. Plus there are a fair few religious users you bump in to from time to time.

Discomfort level: 1/5

Concert: Obviously, tons of people. This will be very uncomfortable for many. But you're not forced to socialize. You can just try to enjoy the music. Pretty bad but could be worse.

Discomfort level: 4/5

Japan: Double edged sword. Go to akihabara and you're surrounded other wierd otaku, plenty of 2D girls and all the lolicon hentai and sex toys you could ever want. But you're still weird even in Japan when outside of Aki. Bonus compared to a western country is no one can understand you so you don't feel pressured to socialize. But that can add to the discomfort level at the same time. Overall it depends, but a proper anime fan is a weeb at heart and will probably feel buzzed being in Japan at all.

Discomfort level: 3/5

Military: I'm ignoring this one. It's the fucking military. Very few people are comfortable there. Unfair choice. Might as well have put prison as an option.

Near a school: Many people on here are school children already. And guys so deep in to anime girls they're looking at lolicon don't even care for 3D girls so the idea of sweating pervert isn't really valid. This is no problem at all.

Discomfort level: 1/5

On the road / store: Boring options and this is starting to a longer than I wanted so I'm going to wrap it up.

Bar is easily the worst (ignoring the sumb military option) getting a full 5/5. There is nothing to do after you order your drink but socialize. Maybe there is food but do you really want to be the one guy eating food alone in a bar? Plus you're surrounded by loads of drunk people that not only might start talking to you but will do so in a really enegetic, extroverted manner. Not even some decent girls to perve on because it's going to be the types that hang aorund bars. This sucks in every way possible.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

57 by Ejrodiew »»
17 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 7 hours ago

6 by Dumb »»
20 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

9 by fae »»
1 hour ago

» Is it ok if your partner has a best friend (bestie) of the opposite sex?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 20

20 by fae »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.