Forum Settings
Forums

Stop letting people rate shows before all the episodes are out.

New
Jul 14, 2019 11:01 PM
Mar 2018
People give reviews and ratings for shows sometimes after the first episode is out. That's ridiculous. Any number of things can affect a shows rating after 24 episodes.

Proposal: Make it so that people can't submit ratings or reviews unless a show is 90% finished.
Jul 15, 2019 12:33 AM

Aug 2018
Well with that logic, One Piece would never get any review scores.
Jul 15, 2019 12:46 AM

Feb 2017
Counter-argument: Shows like One Piece, which has been continually airing since 1999, and has no determined end episode count would be left without ratings and reviews.

Also, what about people who drop a show before watching all the episodes? How's that different whether a show finished airing or not? I think that people should be able to rate shows regardless and should be included in the scores.

MAL has a thing called Preliminary reviews that are little tags on reviews that were made prior to an anime's finish air date, which only appear after the show is set to Finished Airing. When looking through reviews, you can choose not to see those. I think it's good to include them in the review section though even if people choose not to read them.

I agree that MAL needs to improve it's rating and reviews system, but I don't think that's the way to go. Usually the scores are pretty solid after 2 weeks from air end anyway.

Maybe have a system where you can see how many episodes were seen vs score, or score based on if it was dropped vs completely watched (basically an extended stats page) but still have an overall score like it is.

Just some guy who likes anime

Jul 15, 2019 12:50 AM
Mar 2018
Ya that makes sense. For those I would say once an anime has been out for a certain amount of time (like 5 months maybe?) It could be rated and reviewed regardless of how many episodes it will have.

But still, there are anime up right now that only have the pilot episode shown that have ratings and reviews. Which is too much.
Jul 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Feb 2017
daved1113 said:
For those I would say once an anime has been out for a certain amount of time (like 5 months maybe?) It could be rated and reviewed regardless of how many episodes it will have.

So, you want someone to wait to score or review something just because it just aired? Leaving an anime with no score until after this period is up (when a lot of users may have moved on). That sounds like a terrible idea because still, some people score or review before watching all episodes and even if there was a thing like minimum episode count before a review can be posted, it's easily worked around (user's can input episode count manually and can lie).

But still, there are anime up right now that only have the pilot episode shown that have ratings and reviews. Which is too much.

Again, people can rate things before watching every episode and they should be able to.

If you're that worried about scores of airing anime, just watch the shows you're most interested in then wait until after the scores have settled (like 2 weeks after they finish) then watch what you want based on scores.

Just some guy who likes anime

Jul 15, 2019 1:23 AM

Aug 2018
daved1113 said:
Ya that makes sense. For those I would say once an anime has been out for a certain amount of time (like 5 months maybe?) It could be rated and reviewed regardless of how many episodes it will have.

1. A lot of anime end after three months so waiting five months to review is unbecoming.

2. You says it's ridiculous to judge and review a show after one episode, but I find it ridiculous that a person has to finish a show in order to determine whether they like it or not. Often times you can determine a show's quality pretty much within the first episode, and as a result, give your thoughts on it.

3. You say a show can change and improve its quality over time, and there are anime to support your stance. However, anyone can counter that and say there are a lot of anime where the quality does not change after the first episode, if anything it got worse.

The review system on MAL is flawed, but for the most part, it's fine the way it is. It needs improvement, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Also, people have different taste and will not enjoy everything you enjoy.
Jul 15, 2019 1:35 AM

Jul 2019
Bu
daved1113 said:
People give reviews and ratings for shows sometimes after the first episode is out. That's ridiculous. Any number of things can affect a shows rating after 24 episodes.

Proposal: Make it so that people can't submit ratings or reviews unless a show is 90% finished.
Buddy it shows how the show is doing as if it has a good rating during airing then it means that the show is pretty good upto the point and it usually changes time to time.
The only thing I can say is that people should not be allowed to rate a show before 1st episode or something according to which you can rate is aired.
puneetsinghJul 18, 2019 3:20 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Jul 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Jan 2018
Oh I didn't realize ratings are serious business around here.
Jul 15, 2019 3:37 AM

May 2014
It's still fair to rate something before it's finished. You're just rating it based on the number of episodes you've seen so far. It's easy enough to change your score anyway.
Jul 15, 2019 3:53 AM

Jun 2017
Already you can't submit your review before 4 episodes for 1cour shows, 6 episodes for 2cour shows and so on; So there is no problem with "early" reviews. If a 1cour show doesn't want to get better after 4 episodes better never get better...

For rating, you can always change your numbers so I wouldn't see much problem. People shouldn't care for mean score and should rate base on their enjoyment (I heard from one guy when people see with for example under 7 rating they decrease their score because they frightened or something but people should don't
Jul 15, 2019 6:46 AM

Oct 2017
An endless cycle, yeah...

KatsutoSaki said:
Scores are a representation of your opinions/views. And it's pretty absurd if you think you don't have an opinion regarding a show until you've seen a specified episode. As long as you've an opinion, you've a rating. And since scores a representation of your views on the show, you can express them even at the very first episode.

People aren't allowed to make a review at the first episode. MAL has stated a minimum number of episodes after which it can be reviewed. Any review before that specified episode gets removed.
Jul 15, 2019 7:51 AM

Jun 2019
I understand your point, but long running series, as people have said, make that weird. Maybe add some kind of new thing where it's highlighted to show it's a pre-ending score? Then again, we already have the 'airing' or 'publishing' highlights, so I don't know.

If anything about the scoring system annoys me, it's that we can't use .5's. I don't need to rate shows by the decimal, but right now I give anime and manga scores that are too low, just because I think it doesn't match up to others. Unfortunately that means I have to drop them an entire point when I think they're only slightly less impressive.

Jul 15, 2019 5:40 PM

Apr 2019
Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain are 326 and 338 in the TOP TV Series of all time.

MAL Top lists never made any sense in the first place, stop worryin about it.
Jul 22, 2019 12:26 PM

Feb 2010
Yes, taking away the option for people to express their opinion on a site whose whole purpose is just that seems like a great idea. Who needs freedom of speech?

Sorry, but just because some people are too stupid or ignorant to understand how the concept of having an opinion works doesn't mean all the rest of us should be limited in our options in regards to what opinions we can express on shows and how. Just because some people can't comprehend that a rating is not set in stone since opinions can change from episode to episode and expressing these opinions from episode to episode is a fundamental function of this fucking site, doesn't mean all the rest of us should be robbed of that basic option.

So yeah, fuck this suggestion, no matter how often it comes up, it's always gonna be bottom of the barrel bullshit. All it tells me is that whoever makes it is not very clever and does not understand some fundamental principles about opinions and the purpose of this site because if they did they would realize that the idea makes no sense and is contraindicative to everything MAL tries to be.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 22, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2018
Honestly, this is a very bad idea, as it would leave long running shows like Detective Conan, One Piece and Sazae-san high and dry.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jul 22, 2019 2:10 PM

Dec 2018
This is all incredibly arbitrary and does nothing for anyone. Just because a show you dont like is getting higher ratings then it should doesnt mean that all reviews should be disabled. That, my friend, is pointless.
Jul 31, 2019 5:21 PM

Jul 2016
Ye this is a good idea, like I see alot of new airing anime with one episode released with a score of 6-7... i mean tf u gonna judge all the 12-24 episodes from 1. So I suggest you need atleast have seen half of it or so.Dunno how they shoud do it with anime with 100+ episodes tho
Jul 31, 2019 6:47 PM

Nov 2011
they could have a feature where it shows the bayesian average given the number of episodes watched, but that seems like too much trouble and of questionable usefulness to most people.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 31, 2019 9:44 PM
Dec 2016
i mean,,, i personally don’t watch currently airing anime, but for those who do, they need to know if it’s worth getting into or not. the score will change after it ends, but while it’s still ongoing, there’s no harm in letting people rate it.
Aug 1, 2019 8:01 AM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
I always use the ratings that come out during the first 3 episodes to determine whether the anime is actually something worth watching.

Worst case scenario is that the second cours is amazing and the score skyrockets, so I have to pick the show back up again in a few months.

I do think that people shouldn't be allowed to review or rate before the actual air date of the show though, because I see a lot of scores start to get skewed sometimes because a few hundred people rated it 1 before it aired just to troll
Aug 3, 2019 12:03 AM

Aug 2017
wtf, nop.

1) Why would you want to avoid this? You can't force someone to do that.

2) What are you going to do with One Piece and Detective Conan?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 3, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2018
There's also the reason why there is an option to dropping an anime.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Aug 10, 2019 2:45 AM

Sep 2018
Silly idea although it's a good idea to stop people rating until the first episode has aired.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - 4 hours ago

3 by traed »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.