Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fire Force
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 14, 2019 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
It's just Naruto all over again.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 14, 2019 6:53 PM

Aug 2017
That moment when they don't care about the show....even Kimetsu no Yaiba is better than this.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 14, 2019 9:10 PM
Apr 2017
_namles said:
That's what you call a "genre".

Just because this show is in the shounen genre doesn't mean it can be the exact same as all the other shounen shows and get away with it. Genres serve as loose ties between different shows that are similar on a fundamental level, like 2 shows may both take place in a futuristic world (sci-fi) or 2 shows may both have a scary atmosphere (horror), but that's as far as it really goes. Two shows with nearly identical plots, just in differing setting, may indeed be in the same genre, but that doesn't excuse the lack of originality.
Jul 14, 2019 9:53 PM
Apr 2017
_namles said:
Masutado said:

Just because this show is in the shounen genre doesn't mean it can be the exact same as all the other shounen shows and get away with it.

I don't exactly see how it's exactly the same as any other shounen.

Well, it's a bit of a stretch on my part to say that it's literally exactly like any other show, but the shounen genre is by definition just show's tailored for young males by way of action, humor, and maybe some fanservice. That's a really broad scope that could include all kinds of unique stories, and yet so many big shounen shows overuse the exact same characters and plot beats ad nauseam. This show is no exception, making it, relative to the scope of the shounen genre, effectively identical to other big shounen shows like Naruto, MHA, etc.
Jul 14, 2019 10:09 PM
Apr 2017
_namles said:
Masutado said:

Well, it's a bit of a stretch on my part to say that it's literally exactly like any other show, but the shounen genre is by definition just show's tailored for young males by way of action, humor, and maybe some fanservice. That's a really broad scope that could include all kinds of unique stories, and yet so many big shounen shows overuse the exact same characters and plot beats ad nauseam. This show is no exception, making it, relative to the scope of the shounen genre, effectively identical to other big shounen shows like Naruto, MHA, etc.

So why bother watching a show that you don't enjoy / that isn't intended for a demographic that you would watch.

A.) If I don't enjoy watching a show, I usually don't bother finishing it, and if this next episode doesn't give me a reason to watch it over other, better-done shows, I'll simply drop it.

B.) I'm part of the shounen demographic lol
Jul 16, 2019 8:29 PM

Jan 2013
EzioUltima said:
It's just Naruto all over again.
So what was different about Naruto?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 16, 2019 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
insert generic comment here "there is no originality anymore just better execution"
Jul 16, 2019 8:50 PM

Nov 2016
What is this?? COD??

TBH, If you hate it so much, Why continue watching it? I know its a Cliche and worn out response but its true. If you continue watching shit the more mad you will be. I tried to watch 1 episode of every show this season but stopped becasue I knew I was gonna go crazy from the Amount of shit shows I was watching. So what did I do? I just stopped. I puit them On Hold or dropped them and if they are that bad I just start ignoring anything to do with them. Its that simple.
GokaiKingJul 16, 2019 8:54 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 9:31 PM
Jan 2017
Don't know where you got the idea that it's the exact same as Naruto. The premise is really different. I'd say it's more similar to Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater. Regardless, I find this story rather unique. It's got promising characters, and the world and the mystery surrounding it seems interesting; certainly different from many other shounens I have watched. (I mean I'd say it's more original than Demon Slayer or My Hero Academia, not that those shows are worse by any means, but certainly more in generic in terms of premise.) I think we just need to give the show time to develop these aspects that it's currently setting up.
Jul 16, 2019 9:58 PM

Oct 2017
deg said:
insert generic comment here "there is no originality anymore just better execution"

I mean yeah if you want to look where this originated most battle shonen are just retellings of the Heroes Journey you can trace that back to Gilgamesh. At their base core almost every story can have another story that follows a similar format.

I tend to find at least in my experience when people usually say originality they more are just describing a different way of telling a similar story either through varying up the archetypes, setting, theme etc or they just feel its done better. Most action adventure titles aimed at the YA audience almost all follow the heroes journey to some aspect from Harry Potter to Star Wars to Spiderman to Naruto to Attack on Titan. Most people however, aren't going to say yeah Star Wars is the exact same as Spiderman though.

I think its good to ask for creators to be challenged and not over rely on using the same common tropes that are currently popular or they have used in the past though at the same time there is a reason why some people do want those same tropes.

Regardless I have enjoyed Fire Force but really you need to give battle shonen time to develop to really judge them in my honest opinion.
BilboBaggins365Jul 16, 2019 10:03 PM
Jul 17, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2015
Gener ≠ bad. Wish more people could understand that.

Jul 17, 2019 5:35 AM
Jan 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
deg said:

I mean yeah if you want to look where this originated most battle shonen are just retellings of the Heroes Journey you can trace that back to Gilgamesh. At their base core almost every story can have another story that follows a similar format.

I tend to find at least in my experience when people usually say originality they more are just describing a different way of telling a similar story either through varying up the archetypes, setting, theme etc or they just feel its done better. Most action adventure titles aimed at the YA audience almost all follow the heroes journey to some aspect from Harry Potter to Star Wars to Spiderman to Naruto to Attack on Titan. Most people however, aren't going to say yeah Star Wars is the exact same as Spiderman though.

I think its good to ask for creators to be challenged and not over rely on using the same common tropes that are currently popular or they have used in the past though at the same time there is a reason why some people do want those same tropes.

Regardless I have enjoyed Fire Force but really you need to give battle shonen time to develop to really judge them in my honest opinion.

i think deg is taking the piss or being sarcastic due to all the generic comments
Jul 17, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2017
Mattinator95 said:
TolkienFan365 said:

i think deg is taking the piss or being sarcastic due to all the generic comments

Maybe but I am just saying originality isn't really common. Any critic who spends their life in a medium is going to eventually know every single trope and setup in the book.
Jul 17, 2019 1:31 PM

Dec 2014
I feel deep confusion as to how this is similar to Naruto other than the MC being ostracized and even that is a stretch.
Jul 17, 2019 1:55 PM

Jan 2016
desusama said:
I feel deep confusion as to how this is similar to Naruto other than the MC being ostracized and even that is a stretch.
Tbh, I agree. I definitely get more of a soul eater vibe from this. Also, I personally enjoy the comedy and the 4th wall breaks. Then and again, I find humor in very different things than most people.

Also, if you like the show keep watching it. If you don't, uhh don't?
“Don't think about what you need to do. Just follow your desires.” - Aoi Ryuuhei (Baby Steps)
Jul 19, 2019 7:04 AM
Apr 2016
How is it anything like Naruto? Seriously what in the heck.
Jul 19, 2019 7:13 AM

Aug 2017
This is Soul Eater 2.0 fire nation remake.

I hoped that this anime would make sense but its all about meaningless cliche hype again...
Most people fall for art and animation. They do not search for meaning and depth.
Ignoramus-Jul 19, 2019 7:42 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2019 6:37 PM

Apr 2014
People tend to like that. My Hero Academia follows Naruto to a T for the entire first season, but it's still ridiculously popular.

2ego said:

Probably because it's a shonen about a guy with special powers in an organization.
Jul 25, 2019 6:40 PM
Apr 2016
EpsilonX said:
People tend to like that. My Hero Academia follows Naruto to a T for the entire first season, but it's still ridiculously popular.

2ego said:

Probably because it's a shonen about a guy with special powers in an organization.
How is that any way like Naruto? Naruto isn't really "in an organization," and the "superpower" aspect is in hundreds if not thousands of animes.
Jul 25, 2019 8:14 PM

May 2014
lmao yeah because Naruto is 10/10 right? Fuck off. Shounens all have a similar formula and it's annoying to compare everything to one standard.
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Jul 25, 2019 10:07 PM

Apr 2014
2ego said:
EpsilonX said:

How is that any way like Naruto? Naruto isn't really "in an organization," and the "superpower" aspect is in hundreds if not thousands of animes.

I was trying to point out that there's not a whole lot that's similar outside of very very basic things. Maybe it didn't come across properly.

Point is, it has some very basic similarities that most anime in the shounen category also share.
ChangeLeopardonJul 25, 2019 10:11 PM
Jul 26, 2019 4:52 AM

May 2018
Just think of this as the first shounen anime, don't think of this as another copy of Naruto... like seriously. You can just leave it behind like you do to the other "copy" animes.

Jul 26, 2019 7:55 AM

Sep 2018
You seriously thought Japan will produce a new and innovative Shounen in 2019, you have much to learn my son.
Jul 26, 2019 1:00 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Let look back, this is totally Promare's fire/firefighter theme + Ao no Exorcist's looking chara+demonic looking enemies

Yea, this show would have been unique IF it aired before the movie Promare.

Anyway...I agreed with the guy above that said Kimetsu no Yaiba is a better show.
Jul 26, 2019 1:02 PM

Feb 2012
ROFL, people are fighting over how much "generic shounen" this is, and I'm just watching it because the animation is great (Y)
Jul 26, 2019 6:10 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah that last episode really made me want to drop. Pretty tired of the same tropes being reskinned and reused like this.

Animation is decent though, gotta give them that.
Jul 26, 2019 6:14 PM

Jun 2010
_namles said:
That's what you call a "genre".

touché hahahaha
Jul 26, 2019 7:03 PM

Oct 2015
xkazutox said:
Let look back, this is totally Promare's fire/firefighter theme + Ao no Exorcist's looking chara+demonic looking enemies

Yea, this show would have been unique IF it aired before the movie Promare.

Anyway...I agreed with the guy above that said Kimetsu no Yaiba is a better show.

?????????????????????
cept if we go by this logic promare stole from enen tho?
cause enen manga happened before promare was ever planned

also guys, the op is someone with only 1 post and hasnt even posted anything else
its so obvious this is a bait/alt acc
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 27, 2019 5:45 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Thread locked

Basically versus/Overrated thread so it duplicates preexisting Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

176 by ArthurKFC »»
Apr 16, 7:08 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

199 by beamtoes »»
Apr 10, 6:16 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

386 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

118 by capybara_helo »»
Mar 10, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2019

108 by capybara_helo »»
Mar 10, 11:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.