Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else get overwhelmed by the sheer number of Anime you want to watch?

New
Jul 13, 2019 8:03 AM

Feb 2019
I know "you've got the rest of your life" or whatever, but still, there's a good 50 series that I want to watch ASAP and it legit gives me anxiety thinking about binging them all. Then I've got a ton of LN series I want to get into and manga to read, it's a lot. Especially when I go days without actively eating into that list/watching anything.

Anyone else get anxious about that?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2017
Not entirely for anime, but manga I do sometimes since there's so much to read and it takes quite some time. LN's I just gave up entirely because it can be hard to understand what is going on at times
Jul 13, 2019 10:50 AM
May 2014
At times, yes, but I try to convince myself that it will be possible someday. I'd only need commitment to succeed with it, which would take a long time for me. But I'm sure I can find enjoyable series from all of it.
Jul 13, 2019 10:52 AM

Apr 2015
Slow your roll amigo. Sure you're going somewhere eventually, but anime ain't. It can be a little intimidating but your anxiety shouldn't even, partly, be defined by how much media you consume, ain't a college exam nor are you enclined to watch everything there is out there.

Why do you need to watch the series: "ASAP"? To get an opinion on discussions in the community? Making editorials? If not, take your time and relax, hell, rewatch some older shows.

This is supposed to be fun, right? Haha.

Mugetsu-Jul 13, 2019 10:59 AM
Jul 13, 2019 10:52 AM
Feb 2017
I have a lot of free time and I'm still too lazy to watch anime even though I want to.
Jul 13, 2019 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
The anxiety about my backlog comes and goes. I just try to watch what I'm most interested in first.
Jul 13, 2019 10:57 AM

Dec 2016
Nah, there's a lot of shows I want to try but I take things very easy.
Jul 13, 2019 10:59 AM
May 2019
I was at the beginning but not anymore.
Jul 13, 2019 11:00 AM

Oct 2013
Kind of, but I watch 10 anime at a time so I can go through them fairly quickly depending on how fast I decide to get through each series.
Jul 13, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2018
If I live 17 more years I should theoretically be able to finish all anime rated 8 or above but I try not to think about the rest nor the manga and LN's I want to read
Jul 13, 2019 11:15 AM

Aug 2018
DancinMuffin said:
If I live 17 more years I should theoretically be able to finish all anime rated 8 or above but I try not to think about the rest nor the manga and LN's I want to read

You know that there would be more anime that would be rated above 8 in those 17 years
Jul 13, 2019 11:16 AM
Feb 2016
A little bit, but it doesn’t bother me too much. I have over 200 I want to watch, and a ton hasn’t even aired yet. I think it’s better to look at anime as entertainment rather than a chore to watch all of it as soon as possible to keep up with what’s being talked. I know I’ll get to all of it eventually, so it’s not a big deal. Manga on the other than though, man I’ll never finish that to read list because I will always add more, not to mention the LN I want to read, and then add on western books I want to read, it won’t ever end.
Jul 13, 2019 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
Not really, as I put no dead-line or anything on what I watch. I just watch and add to my list as I get around to watching stuff. I also don't binge watch anymore, because that just sucks the enjoyment out of anime altogether, and causes me to become burnt-out with it. If I'm going to binge watch, it'll be one or two series, maybe once a year. But yeah, I've gotten to the point where I no longer rush to get stuff completed. Rather, I just go at my own pace, which in turn diminishes the anxiety completely, because the anime is no longer in control of me, but I'm in control of it.
Jul 13, 2019 11:22 AM

Jan 2015
*Looks at anime synopsis from this season*

Only non cancer one is vinland saga and dr. stone

I guess no.
Jul 13, 2019 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't say so :o

I have like a 200 different series I need to watch, but I am just taking my own pace, moving through them one by one as to relish in the experience. Anime is meant to be enjoyed after all uwu
Jul 13, 2019 11:27 AM

May 2018
Not at all. I watch anime for enjoyment, not to have the most completed list.
Jul 13, 2019 11:28 AM

Feb 2019
Monarch-Reli said:
Slow your roll amigo. Sure you're going somewhere eventually, but anime ain't. It can be a little intimidating but your anxiety shouldn't even, partly, be defined by how much media you consume, ain't a college exam nor are you enclined to watch everything there is out there.

Why do you need to watch the series: "ASAP"? To get an opinion on discussions in the community? Making editorials? If not, take your time and relax, hell, rewatch some older shows.

This is supposed to be fun, right? Haha.

Because I want to watch them ASAP.

>Discussions?

Nope, most of my PTW are shows that aren't airing anymore, Discussing on reddit and FB is nice though
Jul 13, 2019 11:28 AM

Feb 2019
BestBoiEren said:

I guess no.

KNY? Danmachi? Senpai? Yikes, buddy.
Jul 13, 2019 11:29 AM

Feb 2019
SuguChan said:
Not really, as I put no dead-line or anything on what I watch. I just watch and add to my list as I get around to watching stuff. I also don't binge watch anymore, because that just sucks the enjoyment out of anime altogether, and causes me to become burnt-out with it. If I'm going to binge watch, it'll be one or two series, maybe once a year. But yeah, I've gotten to the point where I no longer rush to get stuff completed. Rather, I just go at my own pace, which in turn diminishes the anxiety completely, because the anime is no longer in control of me, but I'm in control of it.

Good strategy to have (character count)

Feb 2019
Setsuei said:
Kind of, but I watch 10 anime at a time so I can go through them fairly quickly depending on how fast I decide to get through each series.

How sway??! Teach me lol(character count)

Feb 2018
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
DancinMuffin said:

You know that there would be more anime that would be rated above 8 in those 17 years

Stop don't say things like that I'm already trying to stay caught up *sighs in Japanese*
Jul 13, 2019 11:30 AM

Feb 2019
BlakexEkalb said:
I have a lot of free time and I'm still too lazy to watch anime even though I want to.

Me irl, last two days I have wasted so much reading and anime time
Jul 13, 2019 11:31 AM

Feb 2019
Gorochu said:
Not at all. I watch anime for enjoyment, not to have the most completed list.

Nice, but it's not having a completed list, it's having tasks in front of you that you want to accomplish, for example before I watch Danmachi season 2, I need to finish the LN covered in season 1 and watch the 13 episodes of that
Jul 13, 2019 11:33 AM

Jan 2017
If your entertainment is stressing you out, you're doing it wrong. Like, jeez, this is supposed to be your downtime - stop treating it like it's a work deadline.

My suggestion is that you find something else to do, do that for like a month or two, then come back and start working through whatever you want once you've cooled off. If you really are worried about how to get through everything, take it step by step: maybe start by picking the five shows you really want to watch first, then pick an order, then stick to that rigidly.

But, wow, yeah, just have fun with it. Again - your entertainment shouldn't be stressing you out.
Jul 13, 2019 11:34 AM
May 2016
no, because I don't believe that I will ever find another anime which I like.
Jul 13, 2019 11:39 AM

Jan 2015
Superns18 said:
BestBoiEren said:

I guess no.

KNY? Danmachi? Senpai? Yikes, buddy.

tf is kny and senpai? danmachi? meh

shouldnt say yikes when you have rem, rei and shield trash on your favs
Jul 13, 2019 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Sometimes.
But at the same time, I am glad that there is still so much left for me to watch and read. Just imagine the day you are DONE watching everything you ever wanted to watch.

Just tell yourself you prefer your ptw / ptr lists to be long. Do that 3 times a day and you're good.
Jul 13, 2019 11:52 AM

May 2009
I've got well over 200 things on my PTW and that list isn't getting smaller anytime soon...
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 13, 2019 12:52 PM

Nov 2015
I'm glad you still have the energy to binge series. That ability left me after my first year or so after getting into anime. Now anything more than 5 episodes in a sitting is considered a 'binge' for me. That, and once high-school was over I lost the one period of my life that I would have as much free time to watch anime as I wanted.

And man, you do have the rest of your life though. I always feel lucky that I got into anime as a teenager because I doubt I would be making as much time for it as I do now if I had gotten into it years later. Anime is my #1 recreational activity, so I have no doubt in my mind that I will eventually get to all the stuff I really wanna watch. When I think of all the new shows coming out I get excited, rather than anxious.

Plus, there's no need to be in a rush to binge everything. If you watch all the best shows right away, there will be nothing left to hold your interest afterwards. I take my time getting to and actually watching stuff that I like. I add shows to my PTW almost every day with series that I find interesting or titles that I have heard a lot of praise for. I'm currently around 200 entries, with a backlog well over 700. I actually think the more shows you have waiting to watch, the less in a rush you will be to get to all of them.
Jul 13, 2019 12:56 PM
Apr 2019
Sometimes yes, but most of the time I am thinking something like I can watch those tomorrow.
Jul 13, 2019 2:58 PM

Oct 2014
I don't get anxious about it, even though I have a lot of anime I still want to watch. Watching anime is supposed to be a hobby for me and not something that puts unneccessary stress on me. Got enough of that at work.
Jul 13, 2019 3:14 PM

Aug 2018
Not at all. I get to it when I get to it. Plus, I only add a handful of anime to my watch list for each season.

My watch list is actually getting slim, so I need to look for some older stuff that looks interesting (if anybody has any recommendations I'd love to hear em).
Jul 13, 2019 3:20 PM

Aug 2018
Nop, I never felt like that because of 2 things, I never had the intention of watching every anime and I don't think that every anime is great either. Most of the good shit is hard to miss, of course there is obscure stuff that is amazing but it's not that much.

BigAristotle94 said:
Not at all. I get to it when I get to it. Plus, I only add a handful of anime to my watch list for each season.

My watch list is actually getting slim, so I need to look for some older stuff that looks interesting (if anybody has any recommendations I'd love to hear em).
I recommend anything above 7 in my list.
Jul 13, 2019 3:25 PM

Aug 2011
No, since there's no hurry. Like you said, I have the rest of my life to get to the anime I want to watch. And if I never get to some of it, that's fine too. I like to watch at my own pace, and not worry about it. This has always been just a fun hobby for me, so I never want it to become a source of stress.
Jul 13, 2019 3:30 PM
Mar 2016
Not really. I think I've watched most of the good shows out there even if its only about 140 anime.
I have to say Naruto and Bleach are pretty overwhelming tho. Combined, it's about 1000 episodes + movies. Gonna take a year to catch up to each
Jul 13, 2019 3:44 PM

Apr 2015
Each year, my plan-to-watch always has a net increase. It's far faster to add a show than it is to watch (and I consistently bite chucks of my PTW). Instead of feeling overwhelmed, I am pretty jazzed. I always have something to look forward to! Often times, if I really like a show, I prefer dwelling on it (thinking about it, discussing with other people, or perhaps drawing since I picked that up again) than moving on to a new series.
Jul 13, 2019 9:42 PM

Feb 2019
Maurice_5 said:
If your entertainment is stressing you out, you're doing it wrong. Like, jeez, this is supposed to be your downtime - stop treating it like it's a work deadline.

My suggestion is that you find something else to do, do that for like a month or two, then come back and start working through whatever you want once you've cooled off. If you really are worried about how to get through everything, take it step by step: maybe start by picking the five shows you really want to watch first, then pick an order, then stick to that rigidly.

But, wow, yeah, just have fun with it. Again - your entertainment shouldn't be stressing you out.

if only it was that simple lol, can't relate
Jul 13, 2019 9:54 PM

May 2018
At times, I do get overwhelmed, because I got, like, over 1700 anime I wanna watch though a lot of them are short. lol
Jul 13, 2019 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
Not so much in the way you described, I more often than not get hit with choice paralysis pretty bad. Where there's so many things I want to actively do that I end up choosing whatever activity either has the highest priority or the least effort and everything else gets pushed aside by sheer chance.
Jul 13, 2019 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
Oh yeah. A lot of days I'm just thinking how am I gonna finish all these anime. Especially when I've rarely been watching anime, because I've been busy writing raps.
Jul 14, 2019 1:49 AM

Feb 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
Oh yeah. A lot of days I'm just thinking how am I gonna finish all these anime. Especially when I've rarely been watching anime, because I've been busy writing raps.

We have a lot in common lol, for me it's editing videos
Jul 14, 2019 1:51 AM

Feb 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

We have a lot in common lol, for me it's editing videos
Jul 14, 2019 1:59 AM

Nov 2011
I think it's pretty nice tbh.

When my day is split between work, school, or just other stuff in life... it's really nice to have this huge catalog of anime waiting for me.

Usually the hours between 11 PM - 4 AM are my time (got to fix my sleep schedule eventually). If I want to binge anime during that time then damn it I'm gonna.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 14, 2019 2:00 AM

Jan 2017
Superns18 said:
if only it was that simple lol, can't relate

It pretty much is exactly that simple. Are you sure you aren't the only one making it more complicated than it needs to be?
Jul 14, 2019 2:04 AM

Mar 2012
There was a time when I used to be, but now I count my short plannned anime (11-26 episodes) in Narutos (1 Naruto = 220 episodes), plus long series separately. Like now my planned list is like only rewatching Naruto 12 times, which seems pretty possible... since I saw the actual Naruto 9 times.

So apart from 12 Narutos I have only 16 series longer than 26 episodes, and I never get anxious about longer ones since they're easier to watch fast and 16 is a modest number.
NarushistoJul 14, 2019 2:08 AM
Jul 14, 2019 2:43 AM
Jul 2019
yes. whenever i finish watching one Anime, i always end up finding 3-5 more to watch.

Jul 14, 2019 2:52 AM

Jan 2015
I kinda get what you mean... specially when I have free time, I binge watch lots of anime. Like you said I have the rest of my life but there's so many good shows I want to watch.
But on a serious note, if it really giving you anxiety then you should probably find something else to do aside from this. Another thing you can do is watch many shows at a time, I do that when I can't decide what to watch lol. But remember, this is supposed to be all fun after all

✧ 미처 말하지 못했어 다만 너를 좋아했어
어린 날의 꿈처럼 마치 기적처럼
시간을 달려서 어른이 될 수만 있다면
거친 세상 속에서 손을 잡아줄게 ༉‧₊˚✧

⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾

Jul 14, 2019 4:49 AM

Jul 2011
No I don't get overwhelmed. I take my time.

Jul 14, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
Yep, sometimes. I even think about trying to watch all of the 20-odd shows I want to start right now at once, but then I realise it'd be overwhelming so I try to focus on things I'm already watching to restrain myself.
currently: doing my best!

Jul 14, 2019 9:25 AM

Aug 2018
Not really. I'll get to it when i get to it. I just try and enjoy what i do watch than just try to watch as much as possible
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 16 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

79 by ame »»
7 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
26 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.