Forum Settings
Forums

Fifth Season of 'Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki' OVA Series Announced

New
Jul 12, 2019 10:13 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
A fifth season of the Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki original video anime series was announced by animation studio AIC on Friday. An official website also opened for the new season, revealing the production staff, cast, and a key visual (pictured).

Masaki Kajishima, the creator and original character designer of the franchise, is reprising as the chief director for the fifth season. Screenwriter Hideki Shirane is once again credited for the script and series composition. Yasunori Honda is returning as the sound director.

The cast members, reprising from the previous seasons, are as follows:

Tenchi Masaki: Masami Kikuchi (Aa! Megami-sama!)
Ryouko: Ai Orikasa (Tales of Symphonia The Animation)
Aeka Jurai Masaki: Haruhi Nanao (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya)
Sasami Jurai Masaki: Chisa Yokoyama (Sakura Taisen)
Mihoshi Kuramitsu: Michie Tomizawa (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Washuu Hakubi: Yuko Kobayashi (One Piece)
Noike Kamiki Jurai: Naomi Shindo (Seirei no Moribito)
Ryo-Ohki: Etsuko Kozakura (Wakaokami wa Shougakusei!)
Kenshi Masaki: Yukiko Morishita (Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou)

Kajishima created the Tenchi Muyou! franchise in 1992, which has inspired four spin-off television anime and multiple film, manga, and light novel adaptations. The original video animation series spanned for 20 episodes over three seasons. The fourth and latest season debuted in 2016 and ended the following year on September 13. The fourth installment marks the first entry in the series in 11 years since the last episode of the third season was released in 2005.

The original video animation series was previously licensed in North America by Pioneer Entertainment (later Geneon Entertainment USA) until the business unit closed in 2007. Funimation rescued that license in 2008 after reaching an agreement with Geneon to distribute its titles.

Official site: http://tenchimuyo5th.com/

Source: Anime! Anime!

Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season on MAL
VindstotAug 8, 2019 10:09 PM

Jul 13, 2019 1:30 AM

Nov 2016
kinda surprising we'd got a new Tenchi season this soon but alright
Jul 13, 2019 5:31 AM

Aug 2008
Good news, as long as it's not something like that awful high school series of shorts released some time ago. I hope the revival of the original OVA means there's a chance for InSM sequel.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 13, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2018
Wow, pretty surprised about this. I hope they finally give a proper ending to Tenchi's story. I'm actually annoyed about this one hahaha

On the other hand, I wonder if they are going to do a follow up to Kenshi's one... it has room for more even though it had a pretty ok ending.
Jul 13, 2019 11:14 AM
May 2018
Just give Tenchi the harem ending he deserves already!
Jul 13, 2019 3:12 PM

Oct 2010
If its anything like OVA 4 we are screwed. Bring back Paradise Wars or something fun again like White Knight.
Jul 13, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2009
I will watch it when it comes out. I just hope it isn't disappointing like the 4th ova series where they just spent most of the time talking and trying to set up a connection with the Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.
Jul 14, 2019 6:28 AM

Jan 2017
It could have been much better if we got the sequel of Tenchi Muyo! War On Geminar. Absolutely loved this series.
Jul 14, 2019 7:15 AM

Jun 2014
I'll never understand the obsession with this series. I got "Tenchi Muyo In Love" movie in a stack of laserdiscs that I bought years ago, but I've never bothered to watch it, because it's a harem, and I don't watch that stuff.

Antanaru said:
Good news, as long as it's not something like that awful high school series of shorts released some time ago. I hope the revival of the original OVA means there's a chance for InSM sequel.

What exactly is "InSM" supposed to be?

Jul 14, 2019 10:37 AM

Nov 2013
Seiya said:
I'll never understand the obsession with this series. I got "Tenchi Muyo In Love" movie in a stack of laserdiscs that I bought years ago, but I've never bothered to watch it, because it's a harem, and I don't watch that stuff.

Antanaru said:

You haven't even watched it and you're just writing it off? I mean, I don't prefer harems either but there are entertaining exceptions. Tenchi Muyo is one of them.
Jul 14, 2019 10:46 AM

Jun 2014
spaceinvaderlum said:
Seiya said:

You haven't even watched it and you're just writing it off? I mean, I don't prefer harems either but there are entertaining exceptions. Tenchi Muyo is one of them.

I tried watching some of Rumiko Takahashi's works, but that didn't turn out too well. I don't see the point of giving Tenchi Muyo a chance.

Jul 14, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2008
Seiya said:

Antanaru said:

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. A little corny, albeit very enjoyable series from the Tenchiverse. Harem where the guy gets the girls because of how awesome he is (as you would expect from the creator of that trope in anime), not because he's a soft-handed little bitch, like in most harems these days. And there are bio mechs on top of that.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 14, 2019 10:54 AM

Nov 2013
Seiya said:
spaceinvaderlum said:

I tried watching some of Rumiko Takahashi's works, but that didn't turn out too well. I don't see the point of giving Tenchi Muyo a chance.

There's a difference between actually just not liking something and writing off something without trying it first. But you sound like the kind of person who makes up their mind about things and sticks to it regardless, so I wouldn't expect you'd enjoy it anyway with that mindset you got goin' on. You do you then lmao.
Jul 14, 2019 5:15 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah, don't watch it. Why use a harem sequel thread to effectively say "I think it's strange that you all like a genre I don't like"? What's the point? Especially in the case of Tenchi Muyo, where you know your readers will include fans who've been shamed by others for liking harem for literal decades.

TheKing528 said:

You wanna know? Here's what to expect, from what I've read by those familiar with the books, via posts on UselessTenchi.org and Anime News Network:

Here's an interesting post by AstroNerdBoy:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5177249#5177249
Well, even for a Tenchi fan like myself, OVA 4 was a tough slog. I've seen summaries of the GXP novels, but short of reading them myself, a lot of what was discussed in OVA 4 that related to the GXP novels was just babble to me. For Japanese fans, it was great stuff that filled in some gaps in the story or otherwise made things better in terms of lore.

OVA 5 may be better though. I don't think OVA 4 was really what Kajishima-sensei wanted AIC to produce. He's been publishing his color storyboard "-IF-" doujinshi series, which basically is the story he wanted to tell. I think the financially troubled AIC didn't want to commit to that kind of project, so Kajishima-sensei just did Nobuyuki's wedding and an info-dump on why Kenshi had to go to Geminar (and the impact of events in Geminar on Jurai and Earth).

OVA 5 is more in line with what Kajishima-sensei originally wanted to do. But it will piss off those who didn't want to accept
nDroaeJul 14, 2019 5:20 PM
Jul 14, 2019 8:15 PM
May 2018
nDroae said:
Yeah, don't watch it. Why use a harem sequel thread to effectively say "I think it's strange that you all like a genre I don't like"? What's the point? Especially in the case of Tenchi Muyo, where you know your readers will include fans who've been shamed by others for liking harem for literal decades.

TheKing528 said:

You wanna know? Here's what to expect, from what I've read by those familiar with the books, via posts on UselessTenchi.org and Anime News Network:

Here's an interesting post by AstroNerdBoy:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5177249#5177249
Well, even for a Tenchi fan like myself, OVA 4 was a tough slog. I've seen summaries of the GXP novels, but short of reading them myself, a lot of what was discussed in OVA 4 that related to the GXP novels was just babble to me. For Japanese fans, it was great stuff that filled in some gaps in the story or otherwise made things better in terms of lore.

OVA 5 may be better though. I don't think OVA 4 was really what Kajishima-sensei wanted AIC to produce. He's been publishing his color storyboard "-IF-" doujinshi series, which basically is the story he wanted to tell. I think the financially troubled AIC didn't want to commit to that kind of project, so Kajishima-sensei just did Nobuyuki's wedding and an info-dump on why Kenshi had to go to Geminar (and the impact of events in Geminar on Jurai and Earth).

OVA 5 is more in line with what Kajishima-sensei originally wanted to do. But it will piss off those who didn't want to accept

Appreciate the Info man. Hopefully this is good. I've actually yet to see the 3rd or fourth OVA's. I'm a huge fan of the first two and Universe. But haven't heard many good things about the more recent OVA's especially the fourth. Guess I gotta check them out now lol.
Jul 15, 2019 3:39 PM

Oct 2010
@TheKing528 Sure :) Well, I don't know. It's been ten years since my only viewing of OVA 3, and I don't remember much of it. Some say that for anime-only viewers it's better watched after Tenchi Muyo GXP, because GXP familiarizes you with book characters who show up in OVA 3, but I'm in the minority as one who highly enjoyed GXP. (So I plan to rewatch it before rewatching OVA 3 - I originally watched OVA 3 first.) Then OVA 4 is an alleged treat for book readers, which ties together the OVA series with GXP and Geminar. It's hard to guess before it comes out, especially since I haven't read anything outside the show myself, but I don't think you need to watch anything else before OVA 5, unless you really want to know who all the characters are. If I were you, I'd watch OVA 5 first, and if I liked it enough, I'd then go back to 3 and 4. I can't recommend investing in 3 and 4 solely on the chance that OVA 5 will make it worth it, unless you have time to spare.
Jul 16, 2019 6:53 AM

Jul 2013
This is the literal worst harem anime I've ever watched, I'm honestly upset that they are making more, I thought I was done with this garbage long ago
Jul 16, 2019 7:46 AM
Feb 2015
silent_knight98 said:
It could have been much better if we got the sequel of Tenchi Muyo! War On Geminar. Absolutely loved this series.

true that, hopeful wish.. the only tenchi series that seems to have a storyline and not annoying characters all up on tenchi..
Jul 16, 2019 3:18 PM

Mar 2012
calvinz said:
silent_knight98 said:

true that, hopeful wish.. the only tenchi series that seems to have a storyline and not annoying characters all up on tenchi..

The mostly stems from the fact that even tough technically it is still part of the whole ryo-ohki verse the story itself is rather self contained as the other characthers from other series have not directly involved themselves as of yet.

This is probably the big reason why ryo-ohki 3 and especially ruo-ohki 4 are such a mess to follow when you have so many characthers mashed into one series it messes the rythm of the story flow. That and the fact that the fourth ova introduced so many key characthers from gxo not covered in the anime but in the main novels and expect us to know them already is hard to follow, japan fans have no such qualms as they are familiar with the books but for us western fans not even a consideration.

i hope we get a s2 of geminar after this, cause that one defintly while sort of conclusive has still left some forshadow for more.
Jul 20, 2019 5:23 AM

Sep 2008
As I commented on in another thread, recent installments of the Tenchi franchise have been referring to plot and character elements from Japan-only media like novels and doujin that series creator Masaki Kajishima wrote up to expand on story elements of the franchise.. Per Astronerdboy, the plot for this new series is supposed to be set years after the events of the 4th OVA series and before War on Geminar, following story elements from one of Kajishima's doujin called IF that explores Ryoko and Ayeka giving birth to Tenchi's children.

Other than the True Tenchi Muyo novels that were recently released stateside, all of the mentioned extra media material has never gotten a release outside Japan and it's more than likely that this new OVA will be making enough nods to it that will more than likely make this a frustrating watch due to lack of access to the media material.
Aug 21, 2019 6:21 AM
May 2009
ggultra2764 said:
As I commented on in another thread, recent installments of the Tenchi franchise have been referring to plot and character elements from Japan-only media like novels and doujin that series creator Masaki Kajishima wrote up to expand on story elements of the franchise.. Per Astronerdboy, the plot for this new series is supposed to be set years after the events of the 4th OVA series and before War on Geminar, following story elements from one of Kajishima's doujin called IF that explores Ryoko and Ayeka giving birth to Tenchi's children.

Other than the True Tenchi Muyo novels that were recently released stateside, all of the mentioned extra media material has never gotten a release outside Japan and it's more than likely that this new OVA will be making enough nods to it that will more than likely make this a frustrating watch due to lack of access to the media material.

Not to mention the fact that the creator basically rewrote and greatly expanded upon Tenchi GXP in the novel adaptation. Which means even that has a ton of extra/different content than what was shown in the TV show, and there's still no decent English translation/summary for most of that material.
Aug 22, 2019 1:39 PM

Aug 2010
That poster art looks ugly.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 19, 2019 7:29 PM

Jun 2011
That's a real fucking shame that they want to make more episodes of these crybaby ass characters, mary sue fucking crybaby Sasami and bland ass Tenchi's adventures. Sasami start holding back your damn tears you damn emotional ass motherfucker crying over mihoshi who she barely even bonded with leaving. WTF girl?????
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
6 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.