Took me around 15 days to complete, There were around 650 Eps
Oh wow that's so fast :oo

Jul 11, 12:22 PM

for me, it was about a month when there were 746 episodes
no

Jul 11, 4:53 PM
I need a month. I dont want to rush it

Jul 11, 4:57 PM

For me it was rather inconsistent. At some days I watched over 30 episodes, and at some I watched like 5 or less. I believe I watched the first 500 episodes in less than a month, though.

Jul 11, 5:57 PM

Why watch One Piece when with the same timeframe you can watch entire Gundam franchise ?
I am serious, maybe One Piece was still good until around episode 300 (Enies Lobby Arc), but after that one episode per one chapter method will just waste your time ...

Jul 12, 2:49 AM
I just got caught up a couple of weeks ago. I think it took around four months. I started shortly before spring seasonals started airing. I think we're on episode like 898 or so now? So, yeah, about that.

Jul 12, 2:52 AM
Jim_Heart said:
Why watch One Piece when with the same timeframe you can watch entire Gundam franchise ?
I am serious, maybe One Piece was still good until around episode 300 (Enies Lobby Arc), but after that one episode per one chapter method will just waste your time ...

Are you up to date? The Summit War arc was arguably the best Shonen war arc to date, and we're getting an even bigger one in Wano. Yeah, thriller bark, Fishman Island, and Punk Hazard were pretty slow, but dressrosa and whole cake island were great, and, if the manga as of now is a good indicator, Wano is going to get even better.

Jul 12, 4:48 AM

Snippingdose said:
Jim_Heart said:

Are you up to date? The Summit War arc was arguably the best Shonen war arc to date, and we're getting an even bigger one in Wano. Yeah, thriller bark, Fishman Island, and Punk Hazard were pretty slow, but dressrosa and whole cake island were great, and, if the manga as of now is a good indicator, Wano is going to get even better.

I read the manga until the beginning of Dressrosa.. Summit War hype was real I know, but I really hate the conclusion because One Piece being One Piece where no one died except for the plot device ...

My point is not the story by the way, I admit that manga is not that bad, athough it is repetitive as hell, the reason why I finally dropped it.. What I am talking about is the anime, one episode per one chapter is just ridiculous, people can't even skip the fillers ...

For comparison Ippo adapted 60 volumes in only about 130 episodes (they skipped some I know and Ippo panels are not as dense as One Piece), where One Piece anime need 800 episodes to adapt 90 volumes of manga (this is including about 300 episodes for first 45 volumes.. So after Enies Lobby, One Piece need 500 episodes to adapt another 45 volumes) ...
Modified by Jim_Heart, Jul 12, 5:01 AM

Jul 12, 5:05 AM

I don't quite remember how long it took but I remember spending around 40+ hours without sleeping watching One Piece lol, I think I watched over 70 episodes in that span of time.. by the time I caught up, the anime was in early Marineford.

Jim_Heart said:
I read the manga until the beginning of Dressrosa.. Summit War hype was real I know, but I really hate the conclusion because One Piece being One Piece where no one died except for the plot device ...
My point is not the story by the way, I admit that manga is not that bad, athough it is repetitive as hell, the reason why I finally dropped it.. What I am talking about is the anime, one episode per one chapter is just ridiculous, people can't even skip the fillers ...
When I first started manga/anime I didn't really care about the crap most people nowadays are on, pacing this, animation that.. Still don't really care about that crap all that much but admittedly Toei has gone too far. Though I look to One Pace for my One Piece anime fix anyway nowadays so yeah.

also your "no one died except for plot device", my guy the series was never about who can kill the most dudes. I never get why people want characters to die so badly, like the series can't have tension if guys weren't decapitated, killed, tortured, raped, or whatever. Some of the most tensed anime I've seen are sports anime where people don't physically harm another person. One Piece is a fantasy world where people have super endurance, durability, ability and so on.. what's so unbelievable about people not dying easily in the universe? Come on man.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Jul 12, 5:07 AM

Jim_Heart said:
Snippingdose said:

For comparison Ippo adapted 60 volumes in only about 130 episodes (they skipped some I know and Ippo panels are not as dense as One Piece), where One Piece anime need 800 episodes to adapt 90 volumes of manga (this is including about 300 episodes for first 45 volumes.. So after Enies Lobby, One Piece need 500 episodes to adapt another 45 volumes) ...

More characters do die, including important ones. I believe it's a rather childish argument though, craving for characters to die as if that makes it a better show. If you dislike long shows, then yeah, just stay away, but One Piece's pace really is what forms the entire show. Plus, increasing the pace would result in the anime catching up to the manga, and then Toei would have to fill new episodes with fillers. I prefer slow pace rather than fillers.

Jul 12, 5:36 AM

ToG25thBaam said:
I don't quite remember how long it took but I remember spending around 40+ hours without sleeping watching One Piece lol, I think I watched over 70 episodes in that span of time.. by the time I caught up, the anime was in early Marineford.

Jim_Heart said:
When I first started manga/anime I didn't really care about the crap most people nowadays are on, pacing this, animation that.. Still don't really care about that crap all that much but admittedly Toei has gone too far. Though I look to One Pace for my One Piece anime fix anyway nowadays so yeah.

also your "no one died except for plot device", my guy the series was never about who can kill the most dudes. I never get why people want characters to die so badly, like the series can't have tension if guys weren't decapitated, killed, tortured, raped, or whatever. Some of the most tensed anime I've seen are sports anime where people don't physically harm another person. One Piece is a fantasy world where people have super endurance, durability, ability and so on.. what's so unbelievable about people not dying easily in the universe? Come on man.

"No one dies" isn't even a valid complaint once you've seen the Yonko centered story arcs.

Jul 12, 5:38 AM

ToG25thBaam said:

I don't mind if story A likes to kill of characters where in story B no one died.. What I don't like is when every deaths are heroically as possible and only for plot device..

2ego said:

More characters do die, including important ones. I believe it's a rather childish argument though, craving for characters to die as if that makes it a better show. If you dislike long shows, then yeah, just stay away, but One Piece's pace really is what forms the entire show. Plus, increasing the pace would result in the anime catching up to the manga, and then Toei would have to fill new episodes with fillers. I prefer slow pace rather than fillers.

I think some other people prefer fillers than slow pace though, because you can easily skip them ...

Jul 12, 5:46 AM

I re-read 70 volumes in just 3 days

Jul 12, 6:39 AM
6 months (from punk hazard to like chapter 919)

Jul 13, 11:57 PM

Jim_Heart said:
I don't mind if story A likes to kill of characters where in story B no one died.. What I don't like is when every deaths are heroically as possible and only for plot device..
to be fair everything in a story is a plot device.. when character A died in Hunter x Hunter, it served a purpose; when character B died in Naruto, it served a purpose; when character C died in Magi, it served a purpose; when character D died in MHA, it served a purpose.. having a character just die after a fight seems very anti climatic..

And as SuperRed pointed out, the death count is only increasing as the series go along. Granted, there won't be any major death flag on the main characters just like it wouldn't for every other series out there that wasn't done for shock effect.

As for the "dying heroically" thing, it's a matter of preference, and I don't think it happens that often in OP anyway.. The way Whitebeard went out is friggin boss. The way Ace went out really wasn't all that heroic. It's not unbelievable as well for Whitebeard to hang onto his last breathe just to say something epic to end his adventure on, much like Roger. When you lived that long and have seen era changes, you tend to think just beyond yourself.

Also, I am currently following the anime from the beginning alongside a youtube reactor and notice there's a ton of deaths that went unnoticed in the series because of how casually the series brushed it off. There's tons of them, current time and in flashback.. Even though they're no-name characters, it should still count, shouldn't it? Just to name one on top of my head, there were some dudes who climbed onto the Going Merry as the crew enters the Grandline for the first time, and they fell off the ship into the sea with raging currents. There's also tons of death in the Alabasta arc that led to one of Luffy's greatest quotes, "in war, people die, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to come out alive". So yeah..

At the end of the day, I suppose you just don't like what One Piece has to offer. It's a flawed series for sure, but for what it offers, it's easy for me and many other fans to overlook its flaws and enjoy the great things the series brings.

Jul 14, 12:14 AM

Less than a month at 130 episodes

Jul 14, 12:38 AM
it took me 4 months to catch up...it was around 705 at that time

Jul 14, 1:56 AM

ToG25thBaam said:
Jim_Heart said:
to be fair everything in a story is a plot device.. when character A died in Hunter x Hunter, it served a purpose; when character B died in Naruto, it served a purpose; when character C died in Magi, it served a purpose; when character D died in MHA, it served a purpose.. having a character just die after a fight seems very anti climatic..

And as SuperRed pointed out, the death count is only increasing as the series go along. Granted, there won't be any major death flag on the main characters just like it wouldn't for every other series out there that wasn't done for shock effect.

As for the "dying heroically" thing, it's a matter of preference, and I don't think it happens that often in OP anyway.. The way Whitebeard went out is friggin boss. The way Ace went out really wasn't all that heroic. It's not unbelievable as well for Whitebeard to hang onto his last breathe just to say something epic to end his adventure on, much like Roger. When you lived that long and have seen era changes, you tend to think just beyond yourself.

Also, I am currently following the anime from the beginning alongside a youtube reactor and notice there's a ton of deaths that went unnoticed in the series because of how casually the series brushed it off. There's tons of them, current time and in flashback.. Even though they're no-name characters, it should still count, shouldn't it? Just to name one on top of my head, there were some dudes who climbed onto the Going Merry as the crew enters the Grandline for the first time, and they fell off the ship into the sea with raging currents. There's also tons of death in the Alabasta arc that led to one of Luffy's greatest quotes, "in war, people die, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to come out alive". So yeah..

At the end of the day, I suppose you just don't like what One Piece has to offer. It's a flawed series for sure, but for what it offers, it's easy for me and many other fans to overlook its flaws and enjoy the great things the series brings.

Don't take me wrong, I was also a (big) fan at that time. It is because I was a fan that I was really pissed because suddenly two named characters dead when it never happened before in OP. I couldn't help to think that the reason why Oda suddenly killed two big names was just because he needed it for a plot device. Yeah, maybe Oda should have killed one or two characters before Marineford arc (remember Pell right ?). Oda was too afraid to kill characters, at least he could kill characters that had finished his development, for example he could kill Moriah in Marineford, but no he only kill when he need a plot device.

I didn't have intention to discuss this thing in the first place by the way, my biggest complain is only to anime that has a terrible slow pace. My number two complain is in repetitiveness of nearly every arcs (lack of creativity). I actually don't really mind about this no one dies thing, except in that resolution of Marineford arc.
Modified by Jim_Heart, Jul 14, 2:00 AM

Jul 14, 2:07 AM

Asena said:
Nemesis1008 said:
Took me around 15 days to complete, There were around 650 Eps

2/10 would not recommend lol

I did it in about the same span of time, but with 100 less episodes. My day consisted of me waking up, watching One Piece, and then going to sleep. Repeat for 2 weeks.

I took breaks for other things every now and then, but that was basically my whole day. I got burnt out after I caught up. Now I'm like 300 some episodes behind. RIP.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Jul 14, 2:29 AM

Ragix said:
Asena said:

I did it in about the same span of time, but with 100 less episodes. My day consisted of me waking up, watching One Piece, and then going to sleep. Repeat for 2 weeks.

I took breaks for other things every now and then, but that was basically my whole day. I got burnt out after I caught up. Now I'm like 300 some episodes behind. RIP.
yeah that's pretty hardcore haha. if I didn't work I probably would've done the same and honestly I don't think I would've burned out. I only started op in june, my daily schedule was kinda same-ish work > binge op > sleep > repeat and it took me a total of 6 weeks. so I kinda feel ya but sucks that you burned out tho.. good luck with catching up again lmao :')

Jul 14, 2:55 AM

Asena said:
Ragix said:

yeah that's pretty hardcore haha. if I didn't work I probably would've done the same and honestly I don't think I would've burned out. I only started op in june, my daily schedule was kinda same-ish work > binge op > sleep > repeat and it took me a total of 6 weeks. so I kinda feel ya but sucks that you burned out tho.. good luck with catching up again lmao :')

I enjoyed OP, so it wasn't terrible at least. lol Just hard to go from having endless amount of episodes to watch on a day to day basis to only getting one a week. I think apart of me wanted to wait to let them stack up again. I don't have the free time to do that anymore unfortunately. lol

Thanks. At least it's only 300 episodes and not like 550 this time. Still RIP tho
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Jul 14, 8:03 AM

Ragix said:
I enjoyed OP, so it wasn't terrible at least. lol Just hard to go from having endless amount of episodes to watch on a day to day basis to only getting one a week. I think apart of me wanted to wait to let them stack up again. I don't have the free time to do that anymore unfortunately. lol

Thanks. At least it's only 300 episodes and not like 550 this time. Still RIP tho
if you ever do pick it up again, I highly recommend watching One Pace instead though, unless you really do enjoy watching the original version of the anime. One Pace is a fan project that reduces the length of the overall series by cutting out the filler/padding scenes, mostly staying true to the manga counterpart. The anime has taken a nosedive from Punk Hazard to Dressrosa, and the recently ended arc (arc name may be spoiler) where there's recap in every single episode for an arc that's supposed to contain tons of hype.

Jim_Heart said:
Don't take me wrong, I was also a (big) fan at that time. It is because I was a fan that I was really pissed because suddenly two named characters dead when it never happened before in OP. I couldn't help to think that the reason why Oda suddenly killed two big names was just because he needed it for a plot device. Yeah, maybe Oda should have killed one or two characters before Marineford arc (remember Pell right ?). Oda was too afraid to kill characters, at least he could kill characters that had finished his development, for example he could kill Moriah in Marineford, but no he only kill when he need a plot device.

I didn't have intention to discuss this thing in the first place by the way, my biggest complain is only to anime that has a terrible slow pace. My number two complain is in repetitiveness of nearly every arcs (lack of creativity). I actually don't really mind about this no one dies thing, except in that resolution of Marineford arc.
Well I suppose we should stop hijacking this thread as this is getting off-topic. I agree with some of your points but at the end of the day, the cons of One Piece is not enough to detract from the pros of the series. Oh and about Moria, this is spoiler but he's gotten a little more development lately. The good thing about One Piece is the continuity and by not killing the characters we can truly see how they've lived over the time our main crew has journeyed the sea. This is what I truly like about it, never was a fan of killing off character in the first place. I do agree that the thing with Pell and Pagaya were both retcon but having both of them live really mean very little in the long run.

Jul 14, 9:03 AM

A year and some days. The anime was finishing Zou so I guess almost at 800 episodes.

Funny story, by watching this I almost didn´t graduate from school, but then I catch up and did it at time lol.
But to be honest, I skipped Dressrosa in the anime and went straight to the manga because I knew the adaptation was terrible, then I came back to Zou, then dropped in Whole Cake at some point, and now I am watching again.

Guess I am more of a manga reader than an anime fan of One Piece.

Jul 14, 9:09 AM

When I got into One Piece in 2015 it took me around 2 years to catch up. I watched around the end of Marineford and then I just read the manga from that point onward.

Jul 14, 9:18 AM

I started watching One Piece in 2012 and never managed to catch up with it because of other anime.

Right now, I'm 127 episodes behind. There was once a time where I was 99 episodes behind.

Jul 14, 11:06 AM

I started watching in Late 2017 and It took me technically a year to catch up. I was very inconsistent with the Anime so I switched to the manga in September more or less of last year and that is when I catched up quickly.

It took me from a Year to a Year and a Half to catch up.

[術]

Doing Finish or Fail
To Clear up my On Hold List
and fill it again :p

Jul 14, 2:52 PM

I caught up the anime when it was in the early 500 episodes, I was watching weekly when the timeskip happened and Fishman Island was ongoing in the manga.

Jul 14, 9:38 PM

I started with the anime at Dec 2016 and swapped to the manga at Jun 2017 for Punk Hazard. I caught up within a good couple of months and now I'm starting to watch the anime again because of the artstyle change.
"If all you ever do is look down on people, you won't be able to recognize your own weaknesses." -Katsuki Bakugo

Jul 15, 12:08 AM
I starting watching in January 2017 and i catched up in July 2, 2017

Jul 15, 1:24 AM

Wait for it to finish airing because if you do enjoy watching it you would be able to catch up real fast. For me it was like few months but it was because I purposely stopped watching as I don't really enjoy one episode per week.

Jul 15, 2:06 AM

1 and a half months I think? I caught up the end of last year so that makes it 860 or so? I hate watching weekly too @hazecloud lmao so I haven't even touched it since. I hear Wano is pretty lit though so I might roll through it pretty soon
Modified by ohml, Jul 15, 9:20 AM

Jul 15, 2:31 AM

@ohml Yea for real. Wano looks promising which made whole cake island arc looks just like the icing on the cake.

Jul 15, 4:39 AM

hazecloud said:
Wait for it to finish airing because if you do enjoy watching it you would be able to catch up real fast. For me it was like few months but it was because I purposely stopped watching as I don't really enjoy one episode per week.

this! now that I'm caught up it sucks that I have to wait a whole week only for a 20 min episode *sigh* anyways I don't feel like putting it on hold either if that makes any sense

Xstasy said:
To OP fans out there: Should I watch anime or read manga instead. I wanted to watch one piece for a long time now but I'm intimidated by the number of episodes.

I haven't read the manga but I know that most fans find the manga better. that doesn't mean the anime is in any way bad tho, it's such a fun watch! yeah the number of episodes are indeed intimidating but I honestly recommend you to just start it. I was sold since the moment luffy recruited zoro which happens in the first couple episodes~
Modified by Asena, Jul 15, 4:47 AM

Jul 15, 4:57 AM

It took me a few weeks for pre-timeskip and I still haven't caught up watching post-timeskip but I decided to read it, so all in all from start to current storywise I'd say 4 months. I started last August.

Jul 17, 2:51 PM

How on earth did you guys watch so quickly? I started back in August last year and have been watching on and off since them. I'm almost done with Fishman Island.

Jul 18, 12:19 AM
Took me 3 months to get up to date with dressrosa arc in 2016 and I didn't skip a single thing on that time, don't really know why but after that I switched to manga and now i don't care much about anime because pacing is horrible.

Jul 19, 5:22 AM
Started watching one piece on 1 may 2019 and I'm all caught up now. So yeah took me 3 and a half months.

Jul 19, 11:44 AM

About 1-2 months ~750 episodes

Preview MangaManga Store