Forum Settings
Forums

Would you prefer a boring masterpiece or an entertaining shitshow?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 12, 2019 6:38 AM

May 2018
zieek said:
A boring masterpiece: Akatsuki no Yona

Whaaaat?
It's a standard fantasy reverse harem with some korean ingredients, who is considering it a masterpiece?
Jul 12, 2019 7:23 AM

Oct 2012
If something bored me I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece
Jul 12, 2019 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
An entertaining shitshow like boku no pico of course
Jul 12, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2018
zieek said:
alshu said:

Whaaaat?
It's a standard fantasy reverse harem with some korean ingredients, who is considering it a masterpiece?

However a masterpiece is a subjective concetp, plus I didn't fail to mention that it was boring three times. In which case the mindless entertainment entertainment I get from "Boku no hero" is still better than the star sprinkled shit that was "Akatsuki no Yona".

1. It is beautifull - character design, animation, fight choreography, quality expressions, characters growing from childhood to adulthood.

2. Loyal to it's source material (boring as it may be), character development.

3. Backstory is informative and while it does nothing to make the plot better, it's still better to have it than to not have it.

4. Ending sucked, that and the boring plot I can agree with.

I am OK with you liking it and praising it...just I don't get the "boring masterpiece" tier. Apparently it's present in some anime measuring systems.
Jul 12, 2019 9:23 AM

Apr 2019
TLOGH is probably the most accurate to the concept of boring masterpiece.
Jul 12, 2019 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Gingko said:

seriously? I've watched the first 10 episodes and it's so boring I feel like dropping it, please tell me it gets interesting later
Jul 12, 2019 10:55 AM

Apr 2019
Exp1ode said:
Lunilah said:
A boring masterpiece is an oxymoron. But i would go with that if i had to pick.

I'm guessing it's supposed to be a show that is considered a masterpiece but you find boring

if we go that route everything is a masterpiece because someone will consider it a masterpiece

its supposed to be your perspective so i agree with him

Catalano said:
How can a masterpiece be boring? I find logh boring but I bet the guys that scored it a 10 loved it a lot.

exactly, i found it super entertaining

so as both of these guys said, i don't think there is a boring masterpiece
do people really rate a show a 10 if they find it utterly boring and don't enjoy it?

i mean yea entertainment is not the sole factor influencing quality, but it certainly plays a role in it, and i just don't think you can count something as a masterpiece if you do not enjoy it because usually if you don't enjoy something, there is a reason for not enjoying it, and thats usually something that correlates to quality in some way or another
entertainment stems from multiple aspects, depending on what a person values which directly correlate to quality aspects

but yeah
thats pretty much my perspective on this topic

if we switch that, there is no such things as entertaining shitshows either
its just average shows that are entertaining
if its a shit show it by default can not be entertaining

if its a masterpiece it by default can not be boring
thats my perspective
Nim0174Jul 12, 2019 10:58 AM
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 12, 2019 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
An entertaining shitshow all the way!
Jul 12, 2019 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Lyree said:
How can something boring be a masterpiece? XD

I find Totoro extremely boring, but I won't deny that it's an insanely well crafted masterpiece and possibly one of the highlights of the medium.

It is simply not for me.
Jul 12, 2019 11:09 AM

Nov 2016
Most people prefer an entertaining shitshow. That's why both seasons of Code Geass has such a high score.
Jul 12, 2019 11:20 AM
Jan 2017
A boring masterpiece. Entertainment has never been a big factor in my ratings, and it more so has to do with how meaningful the show is to me. I feel a boring masterpiece would better meet my standards.
Jul 12, 2019 11:25 AM

Feb 2017
Well if something is called a masterpiece, it has a high chance of entertaining us. And entertainment is subjective too. So even an entertaining shitshow can be a masterpiece for me if it entertains me enough.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jul 12, 2019 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
laviha said:
Gingko said:

seriously? I've watched the first 10 episodes and it's so boring I feel like dropping it, please tell me it gets interesting later

I also found the beginning of Logh (the first ~20 episodes) to be very slow-paced, but it's way more entertaining after that imo.
Jul 12, 2019 11:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
An entertaining shit show for sure. Forcing yourself to sit through something you don't enjoy simply because other people praise it is stupid and is only going to get you labeled as a stubborn completionist at best and an elitist at worst
Jul 12, 2019 11:33 AM

Aug 2017
a masterpiece for me wouldn't be boring, so i'll pick that
Jul 12, 2019 12:08 PM
Jan 2017
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

Okay but i literally agreed with you on this topic which is why i quoted you in the first place, and you decided to engage a separate argument i was having with someone else.

Then when it doesnt go well for you, or you get frustrated or w/e you get mad and want me to stop replying.

Look, i told you already I have nothing against you, and im willing to talk with you peacefully. Can you unblock me, so we can speak in private then?
You used me as a flexing tool(something along the lines of: "See, even this person who I owned in an argument agreed with me") Regardless, That's not the quote I'm talking about( it's #25).

Paint whatever narrative you want.

No.

I'd recommend just ignoring this guy no matter what. He's clearly obsessed with starting arguments with people and probably can't breathe easy unless he's fighting someone.
Jul 12, 2019 12:17 PM

Jul 2019
I would prefer the more enjoyable anime

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Jul 12, 2019 12:18 PM

Jun 2009
If it's a masterpiece, how can it be boring? Serious, yes, but boring? That aside, it really depends on my mood. Sometimes I want serious and good stuff but sometimes I just really crave something stupid but fun. And so, I guess that's why in the pat few years I've got more attached to slice of life shows - because they give me drama and comedy.
Jul 12, 2019 12:42 PM

Dec 2012
Both options do not compute. Something that is boring is only a 6 a best and can't be a masterpiece while something shitty wouldn't be entertaining enough to keep watching.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 12, 2019 12:43 PM

Feb 2015
The title itself is stupid.
There's no such thing as a ''boring masterpiece''.
Because objectivity isn't real in an entertainment medium therefore there isn't a set standard that makes something a ''masterpiece''.

If it's boring, it's not a masterpiece and that's that.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jul 12, 2019 12:53 PM
Mar 2019
I prefer King’s Game (entertaining shitshow) over Overlord ( boring masterpiece)
Jul 12, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Peaceful_Critic said:
You used me as a flexing tool(something along the lines of: "See, even this person who I owned in an argument agreed with me") Regardless, That's not the quote I'm talking about( it's #25).

Paint whatever narrative you want.

No.

I'd recommend just ignoring this guy no matter what. He's clearly obsessed with starting arguments with people and probably can't breathe easily unless he's fighting someone.
Okay, I'll try on the 1st part. As for the second, he doesn't seem to be obsessed with fighting people. I mean he isn't even on here much.
Jul 12, 2019 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
an entertaining shitshow, without even having to think about it. why is a masterpiece considered a masterpiece if it's BORING?????? nah, son.

i don't watch anime 'cause it's my job, i do it for fun, and if it's not fun i just won't (or shouldn't) waste time with it

Jul 12, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2017
entertaining shitshow ofc, that's a no-brainer
Jul 12, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2019
Deduleadaa said:
laviha said:

I also found the beginning of Logh (the first ~20 episodes) to be very slow-paced, but it's way more entertaining after that imo.

I´ve watched like 40 - 50 and it´s still slow paced.

The point is if you can enjoy the great plot and character profiles or not. If you can you will keep watching the show.
Jul 12, 2019 1:59 PM
Apr 2015
There's no such thing as a "boring masterpiece". If it's borig to you is not a masterpiece to you.
Jul 12, 2019 2:06 PM
Jan 2017
Peaceful_Critic said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:

I'd recommend just ignoring this guy no matter what. He's clearly obsessed with starting arguments with people and probably can't breathe easily unless he's fighting someone.
Okay, I'll try on the 1st part. As for the second, he doesn't seem to be obsessed with fighting people. I mean he isn't even on here much.

Dude he's replied to so many people on this thread alone, and most of what he says seem to be provocative comments. Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like someone who just likes to fight.
Jul 12, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Dude he's replied to so many people on this thread alone, and most of what he says seem to be provocative comments. Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like someone who just likes to fight.

Unowen had a civil conversation with him. I don't think he does those comments to be provocative. I honestly, don't know Johan all that well though, so I shouldn't be arguing about this. That said, I can see where you got that impression.
Jul 12, 2019 6:19 PM

Apr 2016
What the fuck is a boring masterpiece? A cold fire?
Jul 12, 2019 10:11 PM
Oct 2018
Boring Masterpiece. just tell the truth..
Jul 12, 2019 10:32 PM

Nov 2017
Waifwu said:
An entertaining masterpiece is ideal ik but if i have to choose between these two i'd always choose the latter.

100 percent entertaining shitshow
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Jul 13, 2019 12:32 AM

Apr 2015
How about both? A highly praised title can still have something enjoyable even when I'd find it boring, be it OST, characters, art style, animation, plot, dialogue etc. While entertaining shitshow is what it is, an entertaining for the reason it is so bad it is good. Unless we meant just trashy media then it's just trashy media and it goes again to some parts of it are good and some parts may cause me wishing sweet release of pain. I'd rather watch shit by myself to see if it's boring to me or what.
Jul 13, 2019 12:57 AM

Mar 2017
anime is all about entertainment so idk why one would choose to sit through something boring
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jul 13, 2019 1:16 AM

Dec 2017
If someone loved a show enough to consider it a masterpiece, then wouldn't it not be boring to the individual?
Jul 13, 2019 1:44 AM

Jan 2016
Stupid oxymoron thread, this isn't even really a debate like you can't have a "boring" masterpiece.
Jul 13, 2019 1:50 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
there can't be "boring masterpiece" whole purpose of masterpiece is that is Anime I fully enjoy and love
Jul 13, 2019 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
you don't need quality to enjoy something so i prefer entertaining shitshow. even if most of people say that show is a shit but you found it entertaining, why not just watch it? you decide what you want to watch not other people. i blocked my friend because he always force me to watch isekai anime ( i don't say all isekai anime are bad but it is just not my thing and i won't wrote any review about anime that i already know i won't like it (like a certain someone)).
Jul 13, 2019 1:57 AM

Apr 2015
The mess that was Mayoiga is probably one of the shows I've had the most fun watching as it aired, as nobody knew where it was going. It just got worse... And worse... And worse... And it was tremendously funny, talking about it with other peeps and what might happen and then seeing what actually happened was incredible.

So yeah, the latter.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 13, 2019 3:25 AM

Aug 2010
For me it's a really boring shitshow.
Jul 13, 2019 3:45 AM
Mar 2016
But there is no such thing as ''boring masterpiece''. If it is boring then it ain't no masterpiece. Also an anime being slow and having a build up doesn't make it bad if that's the ''boring'' you're referring to ;neither a slow paced anime can be boring. There can be so many interesting things happening in an rather ''uneventful'' show.

so idk about that but i definitely wouldn't prefer a shitshow mainly because i haven't seen a shitshow that entertained me yet....(maybe akame ga kill but i wouldn't want to watch that again)
Jul 13, 2019 4:07 AM
Mar 2017
it depends, when you say "Master Piece", do you refer to the super artistic full of life messages like these super deep films that always win the movie festivals around the world but are actually really boring to watch for the average person(and not the movie critique), or do you refer to an Anime that is just Simply great in almost every aspect which than people refer to it as "Master Piece"? if it's the former, then hell ye i would prefer a hot steaming pile of entertaining garbage Anime, but if you refer to the later, then no- i will always choose the overall much better(and truly fun\amazing) Anime , because even if it's not exactly "entertaining", it's still great and amazing in what it tries to accomplish, and that is usually to play with your emotions and beliefs and hit you hard in the "feels".
Jul 13, 2019 4:23 AM

Feb 2019
A boring anime has nothing wrong, it is not argument as such only your perception of something, . although Rakugo bored , I can not say that this bad or is unpleasant to see
Jul 13, 2019 4:28 AM

Mar 2016
Well....main reason to watching anime is to entertaining us. So if i must choose, the answer is obviously ENTERTAINING SHITPOSTING show

Jul 13, 2019 5:23 AM
Jul 2018
the latter as you just say.
I've watched Shigatsu kimi no uso and Kaguya-sama: Love is war but they weren't that enjoyable.
And I've watched the whole SAO series and I really Enjoy by it, well SAO not shitshow for me but alot of people say that.
Jul 13, 2019 5:48 AM

Mar 2014
"Boring" and "Masterpiece" are subjective to one's viewing of a show. Jesus, I can't believe there was literally 3 pages of debate on this.

As for the topic. I'll watch anything doesn't matter!
Jul 13, 2019 5:53 AM

Sep 2017
Entertaining shitshow , I don't really care if an anime has good drawings , sound or direction and etc I purely rate most of my animes on enjoyment and this is why I have such a high rating (8.14) it's because I mostly watch shows I know will entertain me :D
As an entertaining shitshow I could propose this : https://myanimelist.net/anime/914/Ike_Ina-chuu_Takkyuubu I kept laughing my ass off tho some people thought it was horrible, so I gave it a 10/10 .
In contrast many people admit Houseki no Kuni as a masterpiece and I can understand their point of view but I was so bored and uninterested (Like I started doing other things while I watched the show and stuff), so I gave it a 6/10
ItachiDxDJul 13, 2019 5:57 AM
yikes
Jul 13, 2019 6:02 AM

Jan 2018
There is no such thing as a boring masterpiece. If something is boring then it's obviously not a masterpiece, even if it is well written. An entertaining shitshow however is not boring, therefore I'd pick that.
Jul 13, 2019 6:48 AM

Feb 2018
Sorry, I don't get paid for being a critic. I'll go with enjoyment.
Jul 13, 2019 6:54 AM
Jul 2018
Entertaining shitshow, definitely.
Jul 13, 2019 9:33 AM
May 2019
Of course That Shit
Because Anime is about entertainment not about masterpiece (cause it is imaginary)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

16 by -Aurelius- »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

41 by cody »»
6 minutes ago

» Guess the Deadly Sin of your Favorite characters in your profile

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

49 by Old_School_Akira »»
16 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

27 by BlueBullet178 »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.