Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2019 9:17 AM

Apr 2016
Does anyone ever feel bad for a side character when he/she loves the main protagonist but is unable to be with him/her in the end?
If so, which character and which anime/manga?
Jul 10, 2019 9:27 AM
Mar 2017
OtakuSanyam said:
Does anyone ever feel bad for a side character when he/she loves the main protagonist but is unable to be with him/her in the end?

wow, that's actually very close idea to a post i wanted to write just about now, though still slightly different.
but to answer YOUR post, yes i do, and it happened to me more than once. one of the examples i can give you, despite not completely falling in love with this Anime\Manga- just "liked and enjoyed" it, i would give the example of "Tonari No Kaibutsu Kun", English title is "My little Monster". in this Anime\Manga case, i genuinely disliked the Male Lead character, but still somewhat liked the Female Lead Character, and pretty much every other character. Spoilers ahead!!

the Lead Male and Female ends up together at the end of the Manga, which was kinda obvious, but since i really disliked the Male Lead, i actually hoped for 1 of the Male side characters to end up with the Female Lead, since he was really a better guy and their chemistry was actually better than the chemistry between the Female and Male leads, so i felt bad for him by the end of it and was ultimately not satisfied with the ending of the Manga, despite liking the Manga on the large scale of things.
zaganGaoJul 10, 2019 9:54 AM
Jul 10, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2016
zagan93 said:
OtakuSanyam said:

wow, that's actually very close idea to a post i wanted to write just about now, though still slightly different.
but to answer YOUR post, yes i do, and it happened to me more than once. one of the examples i can give you, despite not completely falling in love with this Anime\Manga- just "liked and enjoyed" it, i would give the example of "Tonari No Kaibutsu Kun", english title being "My little Monster". in this Anime\Manga case, i genuinely disliked the Male Lead character, but still somewhat liked the Female Lead Character, and pretty much every other character. Spoilers ahead!!

the Lead Male and Female ends up together at the end of the Manga, which was kinda obvious, but since i really disliked the Male Lead, i actually hoped for 1 of the Male side characters to end up with the Female Lead, since he was really a better guy and they chemistry was actually better than the chemistry between the Female and Male leads, so i felt bad for him by the end of it and was ultimately not satisfied with the ending of the Manga, despite liking the Manga on the large scale of things.

I haven't read it so I can't be of much help to reply here. But thanks anyways for the reply and introducing me to something I didn't know about.
Jul 10, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2016
ImNakedYeti said:
Pretty much every harem ever. It can be quite annoying, but I still watch them.

Yeah I agree. That's how I got this question in my head in the first place.
Jul 10, 2019 9:46 AM

May 2018
well nothing comes to my mind at the moment but yes...specially if the main character is an annoying asshole lol :D

Jul 10, 2019 9:58 AM

May 2015
Yeah, its why I try to avoid harem and stories with love triangles.

I can't think of any examples (mainly because I usually stop watching/reading when love triangles begin) but you see it a lot in shoujo manga. They just love to add a rival into the mix, and a lot of the time the rival is liked more than the main guy. The girl usually always ends up picking the main guy though and the rival is left all alone. Like... what is the point? Adding a rival character only for him to be predictably rejected making the readers feel bad for him is so stupid in my opinion. There's been times when the rival gets their own love interest after being rejected though, and I appreciate that.

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 10, 2019 10:06 AM

Jul 2017
Same as above ^, harems and love triangles it's almost obvious whos gonna be the chosen one usually right after the 1st ep. Especially bad cause they're usually the worst possible/most boring choice out of all the choices

Some examples of ones I've felt bad for:

Ena from Just Because
Literally all the side love interests from Kouji Seo's adapted works
Nanami from Sakurasou
Avril from Gosick (in fairness I didn't mind either love interest)
Jul 10, 2019 10:12 AM

Jun 2019
Yes, if i cheer for her or him othervise i wouldn't care too much. The thing is, i don't watch too many of that stuff as i've suffered once to a love story so much i though i was going to die. I'm just happy that the girl I had chosen ended up with the main dude. In case you wanna know the anime i'm talking about, it's Inuyasha. Also, in the middle of the series, I went to see the final episode just to make sure the girl I had chosen had won. Phew
Jul 10, 2019 12:13 PM

Jul 2013
That's what happens when the side characters are better than the main characters themselves like Aoyama from Sakurasou or Kawashima Ami from Toradora.
Jul 10, 2019 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
None. Onodera was way too good for that brickface Raku. Shitoge and him deserved each other.

Also I tend to have a main girl preference/bias and a tremendous dislike for sidechicks and sidechickfags.
Jul 10, 2019 12:19 PM
May 2019
Re: Zero Rem Rem and Subaru "I Love Emilia" Natsuki.
Jul 10, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
suwa hiroto from orange
even though i think he's too good for anyone *sighs*
Jul 10, 2019 12:27 PM

Jan 2019
I dont watch enough romance anime lol But I would probably feel bad for a character that doesnt get to be with who they love. Since I know how it feels to love someone I cant have.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 22, 2019 7:56 PM

Apr 2015
I don't think she's a side character but from the Monogatari Series:
Jul 22, 2019 8:54 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Oh yes. All day, every day. Darn near every series. That's what fanfiction and fan art is for.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 23, 2019 11:31 AM

Jan 2018
Hmm I can't summon a side waifu at this moment but I feel sorry for Onodera in Nisekoi live action movie. She's pretty so I was mesmerized by her beauty.
Jul 23, 2019 1:14 PM

May 2019
Depending on who it is, yes. Especially if they are head over heels for the main character and the main character is head over heels for someone else completely. Sometimes though I feel like they would suit another character better though
Jul 23, 2019 1:30 PM

Sep 2012
Graumann said:

OT:
Well, I can rant about many shows but I think the biggest offender is Prison School for me. However, the ending of the manga was on another level so I am not mad about it. For the reference, the ship I am talking about is Hana x Kiyoshi
Jul 23, 2019 1:43 PM

Jun 2019
Chinatsu in Tsuki ga Kirei
Tsubame I think her name is in YLiA

Jul 23, 2019 1:58 PM
Mar 2017
Doesn't happen a lot, since most times i do ship the 2 main leads who are usually meant to be with other, i find myself feeling bad for side characters if they don't get to be with some other side character they love due to death or some other plot device.

the only example i can think of at the top of my head is one of the side characters in "My Little Monster" who is in every way better than the main character(male) which i hate, and i wished the side character would end up with the main character(female) which he eventually didn't( not but seriously, the Male protagonist is a crap MC, really didn't like him). well, i guess in this case i was lucky enough to know and realize how overall medicare(at best) this Anime\Manga was, so even though it bothered me, it wasn't for long.
Jul 23, 2019 9:16 PM
Mar 2016
Onodera in Nisekoi, she was far better
5CM ps, Kanae
Sakurasou, Aoyama
This is probably one of the main reasons I avoid harems. There's always fanfictions, but they don't feel real
Jul 23, 2019 9:49 PM

Aug 2017
In Nisekoi, I knew Tsugumi couldn't win, but when I heard something about a twist ending, I was actually hoping she could.
Jul 24, 2019 12:10 AM

Aug 2016
Oh god tons, in fact I think Clannad alone I'd rather see 3 different side characters have that chance instead of Nagisa lol, but honestly there are so many I couldn't name them all.
Jul 24, 2019 4:37 AM

May 2014
I feel bad for Judeau from Berserk. Such a nice guy, but he never told Casca how he felt T_T
Jul 24, 2019 5:49 AM

Oct 2018
First thing that comes to mind is in Sakurasou where they tried to make it so that you'd feel bad for Aoyama (the side-chick) in the end. I just found her so annoying that I was unable to though.

sasalx said:
Graumann said:

KonpurekkusuJul 24, 2019 5:58 AM
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

36 by CheesyJen »»
1 minute ago

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 2 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

63 by DigiCat »»
4 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 1 hour ago

2 by trinitroglycerin »»
5 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 8 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.