Forum Settings
Forums

Question for ecchi/fanservice haters and ecchi/fanservice lovers

New
Jul 9, 2019 1:15 PM

Mar 2019
My question to the people who really don't like ecchi or fanservice in anime or don't like how prevalent it is in anime is this... What animes do you think it was well placed, that the ecchi specifically made the anime better, and that you did not think it was over the top?

My question for ecchi/fanservice lovers is have you seen an anime with a lot of fanservice or ecchi elements that you thought really did not belong in that anime? Can you conceive of a kind of anime where ecchi elements really would not belong in the show? Don't just think of what animes you specifically might watch, even if all you watch is ecchi, I'm just wondering if you were to watch it, what kind of anime would it have to be for you to agree that ecchi elements lowered the quality of the show?

Looking at my own list, I'd say I lean towards being an ecchi lover so I guess I'll answer the question for myself. I'm fine with ecchi elements in almost any kind of show, I wouldn't mind if there was more ecchi in Bleach, it didn't really bother me in Code Geass. However, I would be bothered by ecchi in a historical anime. If I'm watching an anime about the battle of Stalingrad or about warfare in Feudal Japan and suddenly a bunch of girls erotically ran into the battlefield in their underwear, I'd be really put off by that lol. Historical animes should be accurate to history, and obviously, ecchi elements would make it very inaccurate, so I wouldn't be able to suspend my disbelief.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 9, 2019 1:36 PM

Jul 2017
I'm kinda neutral so I guess to answer both questions, Food Wars I thought had it's ecchi well done as it showcased the deliciousness of the foods in question, maybe a little too over the top at times. How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend as well cause it was pretty subtle in its use of ecchi, at least from what I can remember since it's been a while since I've seen it. Chivalry of a Failed Knight also used its ecchi pretty well and made some pretty tender moments (like the stocking scene)

In terms of unnecessary, Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Supposed to be a Nejimaki type war show but instead subtly disguises itself as fantasy ecchi harem romance without the romance
Jul 9, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2009
Clearly establish a pervy tone and create characters that are compelling enough for me to care if they get pervy with each other: I'm okay with this.

Either vaguely or overtly establish a pervy tone, and don't create characters that are compelling enough for me to care if they get pervy with each other: What is this? I can't even.

Jul 9, 2019 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
Ryuk9428 said:

My question for ecchi/fanservice lovers is have you seen an anime with a lot of fanservice or ecchi elements that you thought really did not belong in that anime? Can you conceive of a kind of anime where ecchi elements really would not belong in the show? Don't just think of what animes you specifically might watch, even if all you watch is ecchi, I'm just wondering if you were to watch it, what kind of anime would it have to be for you to agree that ecchi elements lowered the quality of the show?

No, but I can think of several ecchi shows I do not like because I don't have that weird fetish that's everywhere in it. Anyhow, it takes much more than a single element to "ruin" a show for me, there has to be multiple things that bore or annoy me about it. Even then it's just time to drop and forget about it, moving on.
KruszerJul 9, 2019 3:21 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 9, 2019 3:21 PM
May 2019
Nekomonogatari Black is an example of anime that uses fanservice badly. It takes it self to seriously and expects me to feel sorry for character all while she is in lingerie and camera is constantly zooming on her ass and tits.

The best use of fan service would be kill la kill it make sense story wise.
Jul 9, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
Xstasy said:
Nekomonogatari Black is an example of anime that uses fanservice badly. It takes it self to seriously and expects me to feel sorry for character all while she is in lingerie and camera is constantly zooming on her ass and tits.

Its true but isnt Black Hanekawa a portrayal of Hanekawas repressed lust
also its evident that those zooms are what Araragi was focusing on
Jul 9, 2019 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
I wouldn't say I hate the presence of ecchi so much as I hate the way most ecchi harems shows are written. I just think they're boring. But I've been enjoying konosuba because I think the characters are actually funny. I wouldn't really say the fan service adds anything for me but it doesnt really detract either. Probably the only ecchi harem type show Ive liked.

However sometimes I do think ecchi can be detrimental. Personally I found the fan service in gun buster to be really distracting at times. I mean she's like got her tits out in the middle of what is supposed to be the very emotional final battle. Like wtf am I supposed to be feeling rn? Horny? Sad? Ecchi does not mesh well imo with serious moments.
Jul 9, 2019 3:36 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
It bothered me in Eiken for being terrible

It bothered me in Monogatari and KLK for being terrible, and also causing an army of 500,000 15 year old sophists to raise their fists in the air and proclaim THIS IS HOW YOU DO FANSERVICE by praising it in ways that has next-to-nothing to do with the ecchi/fanservice itself and looking at it in ways that sidestep as much entirely

shitty, tacked on praises for shitty, tacked on fanservice is at least fair game, to give them credit

i predict those two series will land the majority of answers in this thread btw
ManabanJul 9, 2019 3:40 PM

Jul 9, 2019 3:42 PM

Mar 2016
simonephone said:
I mean she's like got her tits out in the middle of what is supposed to be the very emotional final battle. Like wtf am I supposed to be feeling rn? Horny? Sad? Ecchi does not mesh well imo with serious moments.

Nudity doesn't need to be sexual though. I mean, I don't remember the Gunbuster finale well enough, but if the tone changes shouldn't your perspective of the nudity also change? I'm a huge pervert, but not all nudity is going to 'distract' me, which has always seemed like a weird way to talk about fanservice as being bad or good because it's all on the viewer having a poor attention span or whatever.
Jul 9, 2019 3:43 PM

Jan 2016
I'd say my problem with ecchi is less that it exists at all and more how prominent it is. Like the fact that it feels like over 50% of anime have scenes that feel less like they're trying to further the story and more like they're trying to incite a sexual reaction can be frustrating because, while I'm perfectly willing to argue that the western perspective of sex is too restrictive and it's better to actually confront sexuality in works, the prominence of it undermines that as a real reason and starts to make it feel more like pandering. Couple that with the fact that a vast majority of fanservice is portraying a female body with portrayals of the male body usually used as a punchline and it feels a lot less like "let's acknowledge that sex is a part of life" and more "let's pander to men".

I seldom hate ecchiness or fanservice in a single show as long as it fits in with the general atmosphere of the show. But as a trend within the industry, its general omnipresence is frustrating.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jul 9, 2019 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't watched it, but I assume an anime like Shimoneta would be very odd without "ecchi".
Jul 9, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2015
Monogatari has the best fanservice of any show.

Jul 9, 2019 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
It seems that many series do not have enough confidence in their stories or characters, so they have to play it safe using ridiculous character design and fanservice.
It reminds me of fate stay night, which is originally an eroge, but it can firmly stand without sexual content imo.
Jul 9, 2019 3:56 PM

Jan 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
My question to the people who really don't like ecchi or fanservice in anime or don't like how prevalent it is in anime is this... What animes do you think it was well placed, that the ecchi specifically made the anime better, and that you did not think it was over the top?

Well, I'm gonna sidestep that last little bit about "over the top," but Kill la Kill was a series that thrived off its fanservice. I'm not much of an ecchi lover, but I had a blast with that show. Everything was so absurd that it never felt out of place—it didn't detract from the show in any way.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 9, 2019 4:03 PM

Oct 2012
syncrogazer said:
simonephone said:
I mean she's like got her tits out in the middle of what is supposed to be the very emotional final battle. Like wtf am I supposed to be feeling rn? Horny? Sad? Ecchi does not mesh well imo with serious moments.

Nudity doesn't need to be sexual though. I mean, I don't remember the Gunbuster finale well enough, but if the tone changes shouldn't your perspective of the nudity also change? I'm a huge pervert, but not all nudity is going to 'distract' me, which has always seemed like a weird way to talk about fanservice as being bad or good because it's all on the viewer having a poor attention span or whatever.

I'm only paying attention to what's placed on the screen before me. Why would I just ignore part of a show I'm watching? Visual storytelling is important in mediums like anime so if a story wants me to take it seriously Im gonna be paying attention to what happens on screen. And I know not all nudity is fan service but gun busters was filled with like constant fan service from the way they're dressed to the constant titty bouncing. The nudity in the finale was definitely just more fan service.

I don't really get your point though. It's not like things in anime are just happening for no reason. Every single aspect of a show is decided upon for a reason. If you start adding random sexual content into your show of course the tone will change, because the content will be different than it would have been. So for things like gun busters, its not like I was so busy drooling over the big titties i just couldn't follow the plot or something. Like I understood what was happening just fine what I mean by distracting is that it made me feel less immersed and made me like the tone less.

But then again I wouldn't have liked gun busters much more without the fan service. I wasnt a big fan anyways.
ChromephoneJul 9, 2019 4:06 PM
Jul 9, 2019 5:07 PM

Mar 2019
syncrogazer said:
simonephone said:

I was particularly impressed with Elfen Lied's opening featuring completely non-sexual nudity and being essentially designed to offend the moralfag whilst not giving the fanservicefag that he desires — bold move.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 9, 2019 5:10 PM

Mar 2016
simonephone said:
I'm only paying attention to what's placed on the screen before me. Why would I just ignore part of a show I'm watching?

I never said anything about ignoring anything. I just don't understand how nudity can be so scene altering for some people.

Don't think I'm defending Gunbuster, because I'm not the biggest fan of it either. But the fact that I didn't even remember there was nudity in the finale of it, tells me the rest of the ending had more impact than a little bit of nipple showing, or whatever, because that's all I can find an image of and I'm not going to watch the episode again just to talk about a nipple. I know that in the first episode she rips her shirt off to reveal her breasts, but that's more in the vein of her being a hot-blooded mecha main character than anything else.

People talking about Kill la Kill in this thread too, and what's going on there is obviously more than just 'fanservice.' I think nudity and sexuality can enhance the over-the-top aesthetic of a lot of anime (which describes Gunbuster and Kill la Kill really well), which is why I enjoy it even if it doesn't turn me on (and I don't even think it has to, on principle). And if it does turn me on, that doesn't mean that the 'seriousness' is ruined or whatever, because I think it's entirely possible for a visual medium like anime to do two things at once. But I don't know, maybe it's weird that I can look at and appreciate animated titties from multiple perspectives.
syncrogazerJul 9, 2019 5:37 PM
Jul 9, 2019 7:41 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
syncrogazer said:
But I don't know, maybe it's weird that I can look at and appreciate animated titties from multiple perspectives.

Yeah, you fucking freak. How dare you not look at it from an extremely black and white standpoint of either not being there at all or being there sparingly and ruining everything the show had set itself up to be prior.

Weirdo :>

Jul 9, 2019 7:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Greyleaf said:

Well, I'm gonna sidestep that last little bit about "over the top," but Kill la Kill was a series that thrived off its fanservice.

I definitely wouldn't say that. You can remove every ounce of fanservice from that series and keep the narrative, theme, and tone pretty much completely intact, and I don't think it'd at all be thought of as lesser by the majority of its fans for. At the end of the day, sucking the actual attempts of sexualization out of that series is going to result in altering a few camera perspectives in a few scenes, and little more. Unless merely having characters showing skin is enough to be considered fanservice, regardless of how it's being presented to the viewer. Which, yes, is something I'd consider extremely silly.

If not, then, well, may I be stricken down at the soonest possible date. I'm not at all a proponent of the idea that the series includes fanservice in a way that necessitates it, though.
ManabanJul 9, 2019 7:50 PM

Jul 9, 2019 8:29 PM

Mar 2019
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
I haven't watched it, but I assume an anime like Shimoneta would be very odd without "ecchi".

Personally, I didn't feel like Shimoneta had much "ecchi" so much as it just had a lot of dirty jokes. Obviously the show was about sex in a sexless world so its got sexual themes but when I think of an "ecchi" I think of lots of skin, tits, and sexual activity between the characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2019 8:31 PM

Mar 2019
pipeal3000 said:
It seems that many series do not have enough confidence in their stories or characters, so they have to play it safe using ridiculous character design and fanservice.
It reminds me of fate stay night, which is originally an eroge, but it can firmly stand without sexual content imo.

The point of this thread is to think outside of your normal position. I am wondering, what kind of anime would you see and think "the ecchi improved the quality of this anime" or what kind of anime can you conceive of where ecchi elements would improve the anime. This isn't really a "do you like ecchi or nah" kind of thread.
Jul 9, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2009
I typically don't like sexual fanservice/ecchi because (1) it often feels gratuitous, (2) it often has little to do with the story, and (3) I like to take stories seriously, and a lot of fanservicey/ecchi moments tend to be played for comedy -- especially in ways that detract from the focus of the story or the feel of a scene.

But sometimes there are uses of it that I like more.

Examples of sexual fanservice that I appreciated:

* I feel the sexual content in Cross Ange made very much sense, as it was key to establishing the kind of setting we were dealing with. Yes, it's arguably demeaning to the characters...but that's the point, in-universe, to show how the characters are treated by others as exploitable trash not worth a standard of dignity.

* In the main series (i.e. not the omakes) of Yosuga no Sora, the sexual content is intimately (no pun intended) tied to the storylines. Ironically, there's actually not that much of it, if I recall correctly -- it's just that, when it happens, it is notable, because it's very important to the story the character development. (In some ways I'm not sure how much this actually counts as "fanservice".)

* In Kiddy Grade, Éclair's panty-flashes other fanservicey design elements show how she doesn't mind being seen as a flashy and over-the-top. She enjoys being showy. The fanservice tells us something about her character.

* Not quite the usual sort of fanservice per se, but in Gabriel DropOut, the censor bars with which naked characters are drawn is used to make fun of the concept of censor bars and simultaneously provide humorous insight into the characters.

* In Heavy Object, there's a bunch of not-really-all-that-necessary fanservice (I understand it's young men in military service and naturally hormones are a thing, but I still think it was overdone at some points), though some moments were quite nice -- particularly when the fanservice gets used as part of the "macgyvering". My favorite instance is when Qwenthur starts talking dirty on camera in order to gross out a certain other character. I love it when my reaction to a scene is "now that's clever".
GlennMagusHarveyJul 9, 2019 8:51 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 9, 2019 8:40 PM

Jan 2009
Kill la Kill comes instantly on my mind, the more bold or accepting of their nudity they are the more they become powerful, empowering people with the "naked" truth
Jul 9, 2019 8:51 PM

May 2009
There's also stuff that's just generally more "subtle" elements of sexual fanservice. For example, attractive-looking characters, in general. Characters in bodysuits and swimwear. Stuff like this tends to be more of the kind of fanservice that I prefer. Do it right, and you can basically have fanservice without it feeling much like fanservice -- take the beach episode of Manaria Friends for example; it didn't feel to me much like (at least, the bad kind of) fanservice, because we didn't get much in the way of Obvious Fanservice Moments, but one can clearly see a bunch of sexual fanservice elements present.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 9, 2019 8:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ryuk9428 said:

The point of this thread is to think outside of your normal position

what an admirable goal, trying to create a better sense of perspective for the other side of things with a thread questioning these things

unfortunately, it was inevitable that it didn't work and that people used it to promote their pre-existing viewpoints throughout the thread itself because of the topic you're trying to approach

i blame the other side for it, ree

Jul 9, 2019 9:32 PM

Mar 2012
I hate Meliodas gag in NNT. That's honestly isn't funny the first time and neither it will be no matter how many time you repeat it. That's the very definition of forced fanservice and shoehorned character trait.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 9, 2019 11:32 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Ryuk9428 said:

The point of this thread is to think outside of your normal position

what an admirable goal, trying to create a better sense of perspective for the other side of things with a thread questioning these things

unfortunately, it was inevitable that it didn't work and that people used it to promote their pre-existing viewpoints throughout the thread itself because of the topic you're trying to approach

i blame the other side for it, ree

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah it seems like some people are answering as if I said "why do you not like ecchi" rather than actually answering the question I gave. But we've had some people answer the real question too.
Jul 10, 2019 1:12 AM

Feb 2015
I hate fanservice, it ruins the seriousness of a show and it’s really disrupting. I know sex sells, live action series and films also have unnecessary sex scenes and nudity, but the usual extreme forced way in which ecchi and fanservice, in general, are handled makes it lot more cringy and annoying. I hate those weird obscene shots from ridiculous angles that come out of nowhere.
I aslo found disturbing the fact that some people are actually turned on by an anime character, you can tell if a character is pretty or beautifully designed but being sexually attracted?? Like?? Get help.
Don’t get me started on lolis, it’s gross and pedophilic.

I don’t think that nudity has to be neccesarily sexual though, but people have mentioned Elfen Lied and it’s honestly a terrible example. It may not be the case of the first Lucy scene, but what about all the Nyu (Lucy) naked scenes acting all brainless?? Ridiculous.

Anyway, answering the actual question. I never had any problem with Free!’s “fanservice”. Yes they are half naked but they are swimming, what did you expect??
It never actually called my attention, and I don’t recall any questionable shots. But I do admit that they are extremely jacked for teenagers, I swam for some years and none of the teenagers were that jacked.
Also, as many other mentioned, Kill la Kill fanservice makes sense in the show and its context, it also has to do with empowerment and being comfortable with oneself.
Moony_SeaJul 31, 2020 1:05 AM
Jul 10, 2019 4:02 AM

Jun 2017
I don't hate fanservice/ecchi but I mostly dislike it and for me the worst kind of fanservice is when the female character is normally clothed but the screen/camera angle or whatever is called focused on their breasts/asses for no reason...

But for OP's answer I better say I never "bothered" Fairy Tail and Harukana Recieve's fanservice

Also I liked Monster Musume and the first half of Mangaka-san to Assitant-san and I remember laughed at many of their fanservice so that's it

Manaban said:

It bothered me in Monogatari and KLK for being terrible, and also causing an army of 500,000 15 year old sophists to raise their fists in the air and proclaim THIS IS HOW YOU DO FANSERVICE by praising it in ways that has next-to-nothing to do with the ecchi/fanservice itself and looking at it in ways that sidestep as much entirely

shitty, tacked on praises for shitty, tacked on fanservice is at least fair game, to give them credit

i predict those two series will land the majority of answers in this thread btw

I haven't seen Kill la Kill but I agree that the fanservice of Monogatari is awful even as a Monogatari fan
Jul 10, 2019 5:14 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ryuk9428 said:

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah it seems like some people are answering as if I said "why do you not like ecchi" rather than actually answering the question I gave. But we've had some people answer the real question too.

I mean, I could've told you we would've gotten a bunch of that and a bunch of IT NEEDS TO BE TIED INTO THE NARRATIVE LIEK KLK

Most of these people don't ever know how to answer these topics properly or remotely normally. They will wall up, write three over-extended paragraphs just to make sure people understand that they don't like it and what they're going to desparately attempt to make their point about not liking, then do a sentence to answer the question maybe if they're being considerate. Or they'll talk about KLK and the dumb showing skin clothes power up thing giving it a reason to exist, because I am sure they would absolutely adore Seikon no Qwaser and Masou Gakuen HxH that have similar ways of using fanservice if that's their pre-requisite for it existing and not that they pretty much only liked KLK independent of any fanservice and are trying to justify what they think is the use of it in that show.

Ima just start lobbing bricks through their store windows and burning crosses in their yard at this point, since you can only hold a proper conversation on these topics with about 2% of them and the rest are just reiterating the exact same mantras and will continue to reiterate that mantra with no further extrapolation if you ever try to challenge them on something about it.

They're like those creepy aliens from Toy Story. Indistinguishable from one another, extremely repetitive and come in hordes.
ManabanJul 10, 2019 5:25 AM

Jul 10, 2019 5:59 AM
Mar 2016
Fanservice ''hater'' here.
TBH i'm pretty fine with ecchi as a genre. I mean atleast it gives a red flag to avoid a series or just warn me about it so i can go open minded. For example I normally wouldn't have liked fanservice in NGNL or 7DS but them being ecchi kinda gives them a pass.
But for fanservice in non-ecchi shows...idk i usually would find their absence better but if it is played for laughs , i'll be fine with it. For example Konosuba. However A LOT of times it is not in other shows so that's unfortunate.

Alsoalso i don't think nudity=fanservice. I don't count Scum's wish or devilman as fanservicy shows.
Jul 10, 2019 6:51 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
hmm.. as I find art of eros appealing then in most cases I rather enjoy it. I rarely see Anime where I really dislike ecchi element (HOTD is only one I can think of)

While if serious romance Anime has ecchi element and that is used as character development/plot ... then I have mixed feelings. In serious manner it ruins the image for me as I start disliking characters a lot of being slutty/loose

In a light-themed ecchi Anime where ecchi is simply stimulation whereas in that specific world/anime characters don't react/notice or attack sexual aspects too much. Is simply bliss to watch.

So even if ecchi is romance focused. As long it remains vanilla teasing. I love it. If romance is serious toned and characters sleep around or do perverted things with multiple characters. Then I start to hate it.

I find it difficult to explain. Because in the end is just what sort of "taste" or "emotion/feeling" it gives me by end of the run.

I.E "Love-ru" franchise I absolutely adore as is damn hot. On the other hand "Kuzu no Honkai" frustrated me to extreme levels even though it wasn't as ecchi.

Long story short. Ecchi rarely ruins my enjoyment as for the most part it amplifies my enjoyment.
Jul 10, 2019 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Historical anime can also have fanservice and ecchi moments depending on the context, eg a slave owner looking at or groping a slave or Roman generals making funny jokes about Julius Ceasar being feminine
Jul 10, 2019 8:29 AM

Jul 2013
Ryuk9428 said:
pipeal3000 said:

The point of this thread is to think outside of your normal position. I am wondering, what kind of anime would you see and think "the ecchi improved the quality of this anime" or what kind of anime can you conceive of where ecchi elements would improve the anime. This isn't really a "do you like ecchi or nah" kind of thread.

In that case I think it generally does not improve the quality of the show, in fact I think its perjudicial to any show that tries to take itself seriously. There is many shows that would be an easy recommendation if it wasnt for their fanservice.

There is also the example of romcoms/harems in which you are obviously in for the waifus, so ecchi is actually a feature.
pipeal3000Jul 10, 2019 8:33 AM
Jul 10, 2019 8:37 AM

Apr 2015
I'm more neutral on sexual fanservice so I'll answer both. Firstly series I did not fancy in their sexual fanservice.

Obvious answers for me would be Miss Kobayashi's dragon maid, Kuroshitsuji and Made in abyss, but because that's more on my dislike on the subject of fanservice.

Magi, eh it was mostly just used for humor but those really weren't funny, I don't really think removing those or using more sparingly would cause damage to the story. Some character designs were miss or they worked.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of laplace. I admit it has to do also because of I don't wanna look at a little boy's ass, but also just generally how shitty the show was and then add to murder mystery story ridiculous fanservice moments just to remind you it's still aiming for some otakus to like it.

Yuuki yuuna wa yuusha de aru, I just want to watch little girls fight I didn't need weird ass bondage scene in one transformation sequence when there is nothing else sexual shown.

Now for the good stuff

HOTD, I will defend this series probably even in my death bed, but I personally really liked some of the action scenes. That teacher/nurse character tho was unnecessary af.

Keijo! I like ass and I like how it's self aware. It's all just fun and I take it more like a parody of sport genre, which adds more to the humor tbh.

Valkyrie drive mermaid, now listen me. It is bad anime period, but I would be lying if I didn't think the concept would work and few character designs were okay.

Space Dandy. I'd love the show even with out few fanservice scenes in it but they sort of fit the shows humor.

petran79 said:
Historical anime can also have fanservice and ecchi moments depending on the context, eg a slave owner looking at or groping a slave or Roman generals making funny jokes about Julius Ceasar being feminine

Yep, Cleopatra is quite popular character for that use and Edo period setting is quite common in BL/ML. I'm honestly surprised nazisploitation or something similar genre doesn't exist in animanga, considering how popular underground genre it was back in the day. Would have thought at least one hentai would exist.
konkeloJul 10, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 10, 2019 11:03 AM

Mar 2019
petran79 said:

It's not that no sexual content should be in a historical anime ever. Sex obviously existed in the past too. But when I think of ecchi I mostly think about girls in really skimpy outfits getting upskirt shots a lot or getting their clothes destroyed. Obviously this would be out of place in an anime portraying historical events.

Joking about Caesar being feminine isn't sexual, it's just a bro-ish kind of teasing. But yeah that would fit in fine.
Jul 10, 2019 11:17 AM

Mar 2019
DesolatePsyche said:
hmm.. as I find art of eros appealing then in most cases I rather enjoy it. I rarely see Anime where I really dislike ecchi element (HOTD is only one I can think of)

While if serious romance Anime has ecchi element and that is used as character development/plot ... then I have mixed feelings. In serious manner it ruins the image for me as I start disliking characters a lot of being slutty/loose

In a light-themed ecchi Anime where ecchi is simply stimulation whereas in that specific world/anime characters don't react/notice or attack sexual aspects too much. Is simply bliss to watch.

So even if ecchi is romance focused. As long it remains vanilla teasing. I love it. If romance is serious toned and characters sleep around or do perverted things with multiple characters. Then I start to hate it.

I find it difficult to explain. Because in the end is just what sort of "taste" or "emotion/feeling" it gives me by end of the run.

I.E "Love-ru" franchise I absolutely adore as is damn hot. On the other hand "Kuzu no Honkai" frustrated me to extreme levels even though it wasn't as ecchi.

Long story short. Ecchi rarely ruins my enjoyment as for the most part it amplifies my enjoyment.

Kind of strange that you would say that given that romantic genres like Kuzu no Honkai are exactly the kind of animes where I think ecchi is most appropriate. But I actually really liked Scum's Wish.
Jul 10, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
I love the Evangelion rebuilds, but every time fanservice is blatantly thrown in to them, it's distracting. The only films I've really had a problem with it.
Jul 10, 2019 11:55 AM

Sep 2018
The only series i can think of that used ecchi well is Monogatari, to display Character relationships etc.

The other that comes to mind is imo not a "good" show but if you want simple enjoyment its pretty fun to watch, ofc its Highschool DxD its the pinnacle of Demon Highscool Harem Club shit.

I am not really a ecchi hater,its just overused and when its used its used badly, the only moment i hate it is when its used to distract from the events happening, but when its used in a "normal" way and not to often i dont really mind it.
-Mullerio-Jul 10, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 10, 2019 11:57 AM

Oct 2017
I love sexy anime girls but please Kami-sama make their damned tits smaller. I can't take a girl with EE+ tits seriously enough to get aroused. They look stupid!
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 10, 2019 12:00 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Ryuk9428 said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Kind of strange that you would say that given that romantic genres like Kuzu no Honkai are exactly the kind of animes where I think ecchi is most appropriate. But I actually really liked Scum's Wish.

As whole I think it was good. But on personal enjoyment level, I despised it... made me quite angry....

I'm extreme vanilla fanatic as that's how my moral compass / principles go regarding love and sex. So I really despise cheating/NTR/pity (fulfilment/replacement) sex/relationships etc........
Jul 10, 2019 12:12 PM

Jan 2019
I am someone who doesnt like fanservice and ecchie animes, but I think Chobits did it well. I liked the manga better than the anime though. Even though there was alot of fanservice, it wasnt forced or distracting. I also think the characters were more than just fanservice. Like Chi was very likable and even though she was used for fanservice alot, I really cared about her as a character. And Hideki was pretty likable too even though he was a bit of a pervert, he was still respectful to Chi and cared about her. It was a pretty heartwarming romance too. Its probably the only manga I read that was pretty heavy on the fanservice.
Crystal_Star07Jul 10, 2019 12:16 PM
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 10, 2019 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
konkelo said:

Yep, Cleopatra is quite popular character for that use and Edo period setting is quite common in BL/ML. I'm honestly surprised nazisploitation or something similar genre doesn't exist in animanga, considering how popular underground genre it was back in the day. Would have thought at least one hentai would exist.

I remember manga Uncivilised Planet (it is not hentai BTW) had such a scene, despite being based on a vague war

@konkelo

Watch also episode 14 of Cream Lemon, titled Narisu Scramble. It features sex and a gal dressed in actual nazi uniform..
removed-userJul 11, 2019 3:20 AM
Jul 11, 2019 1:37 AM

Oct 2012
syncrogazer said:
simonephone said:
I'm only paying attention to what's placed on the screen before me. Why would I just ignore part of a show I'm watching?

I never said anything about ignoring anything. I just don't understand how nudity can be so scene altering for some people.

Don't think I'm defending Gunbuster, because I'm not the biggest fan of it either. But the fact that I didn't even remember there was nudity in the finale of it, tells me the rest of the ending had more impact than a little bit of nipple showing, or whatever, because that's all I can find an image of and I'm not going to watch the episode again just to talk about a nipple. I know that in the first episode she rips her shirt off to reveal her breasts, but that's more in the vein of her being a hot-blooded mecha main character than anything else.

People talking about Kill la Kill in this thread too, and what's going on there is obviously more than just 'fanservice.' I think nudity and sexuality can enhance the over-the-top aesthetic of a lot of anime (which describes Gunbuster and Kill la Kill really well), which is why I enjoy it even if it doesn't turn me on (and I don't even think it has to, on principle). And if it does turn me on, that doesn't mean that the 'seriousness' is ruined or whatever, because I think it's entirely possible for a visual medium like anime to do two things at once. But I don't know, maybe it's weird that I can look at and appreciate animated titties from multiple perspectives.

I think that's fair on gunbuster. It's not like the fan service made some huge impact on my viewing experience I guess. I was already finding the drama melodramatic so on top of that it made it even harder to take seriously. I guess I'm also not used to seeing full titty with nipple in anime so I think that's partially why I remembered it. Not that I'm bothered by nipples I was just surprised.

I do respect your many perspective on anime titties. I definitely wouldn't want to say I think its impossible for something like fan service to be done in a serious way but I don't think I've ever seen that personally. Unless you're talking like kill la kill or gurren lagan level serious than yes I do agree with that. I think the fan service was perfectly appropriate for the tone of those shows.

And also, I don't think fan service effecting serious moments is a very big problem in anime. Usually if a more serious show is gonna do fan service at all its pretty minimal. Honestly idk if I could even name another example other than gun busters.
ChromephoneJul 11, 2019 1:42 AM
Jul 11, 2019 2:07 AM

Jan 2018
I don't mind ecchi show but more often than not male would be on the receiving end because it was supposed to be funny? Constantly losing your grip of yourself like suddenly mc cannot move or don't know how to react is just off-putting, might as well watch a femaly only ecchi show. It's still fun if you've been saving up ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 11, 2019 2:17 AM

Apr 2019
Ecchi/Fanservice is fine and I would always prefer it to no fanservice at all.
What's wrong with it is if the story/plot only revolved around it, it's always most likely going to be boring.

Good use of ecchi :
Shokugeki no Soma/Gantz

Bad use of ecchi :
Infinite Stratos/Strike the blood

Jul 11, 2019 2:28 AM

Oct 2010
Ecchi lover here, I can't think of an anime when ecchi was not needed, maybe kiddy grade, it was military futuristic space drama war and suddeny we get panties. But that's it. Ecchi is great.
Jul 11, 2019 7:52 AM

Feb 2015
Xstasy said:

tfw you did not mention the toothbrush scene...

you disappoint me...

it literally saved anime
Jul 11, 2019 8:17 AM

Mar 2016
simonephone said:
And also, I don't think fan service effecting serious moments is a very big problem in anime. Usually if a more serious show is gonna do fan service at all its pretty minimal. Honestly idk if I could even name another example other than gun busters.

I don't believe it happens very often either, though it is a common complaint people make. I think sometimes people misunderstand the tone of a scene, and forget that the 'ecchi interruption' or whatever is actually the punchline to a joke setup earlier. It's like complaining about an interrupted kiss/confession in a harem show.

I see nudity in Gunbuster as just another aspect of its spectacle and it mixes with the melodrama. Okada Toshio said if you put a cute girl in a giant robot, it will be a hit. And obviously he was right. (I found Gunbuster to be mostly boring and shallow though)

I think it's easier in general to talk about it as the fanservice being secondary to whatever else is happening. I mean, good fanservice is supposed to be something extra, not the main focus when it does occur anyway. Boob jiggle during an action scene shouldn't make whatever is happening less tense or exciting, but for some people it does. And that's just weird to me. Then again, there are some on here who seem to believe that hot anime girls simply existing is 'fanservice.'
syncrogazerJul 11, 2019 10:44 AM
Jul 11, 2019 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
petran79 said:
konkelo said:

I remember manga Uncivilised Planet (it is not hentai BTW) had such a scene, despite being based on a vague war

@konkelo

Watch also episode 14 of Cream Lemon, titled Narisu Scramble. It features sex and a gal dressed in actual nazi uniform..

Uncivilized planet I don't think I have heard of before, so I need to check that. Cream lemon I have had saved for quite many years already but never had that feeling to sit down and watch it. Maybe I should watch it after finishing Master Mosquiton '99.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
2 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
15 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
30 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.